Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What does your signature come from?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > What does your signature come from?   [1] [2] >>
I thunk mine up from my own 'magination.
Plastic got his from Bored of the rings a lord of the ings spoof (actually quite good), Mine is the words of Ulmo as can be found in the Unfinished Tales in the story of Tuor. Big Smile Smilie
Mine comes from return of the king, the last book in the rings
I wanted an appropriate quote for mine, but couldn't be bothered to look, so I made one up.
Mine is Latin for "Love Conquers All"
Mine is from ROTK also.
Mine is from LotR IV Tongue Smilie
I can never think of anything so I just have the Sindarian definition of my username.

My Cool Elf Smilie Signature:
Quote:
"Share and Enjoy," is the company motto of the highly successful Sirius Cybernetics Complaints Division, which now covers the major land masses of three medium-sized planets and is the only part of the Corporation to have shown a consistent profit in recent years.

The motto stands--or rather stood--in three mile high illuminated letters near the Complaints Department spaceport on Eadrax. Unfortunately its weight was such that shortly after it was erected, the ground beneath the letters caved in and they dropped for nearly half of their length through the offices of many talented young Complaints executives--now deceased.

The protruding upper halves of the letters now appear, in the local language, to read "Go stick your head in a pig." and are no longer illuminated, except at times of special celebration.

- from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (May he rest in peace or return to write yet another book in his five book trilogy, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)
Needless to say, their original reading * is a splendid dictum for my function here at Planet-Tolkien.

* The motto's latter reading may be applicable to those of you who often disagree with my numerous postings. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

[Edited on 27/3/2003 by Grondmaster]
Sepdet, your post has made me wonder what your signature is. Sad Smilie Did you accidently turn it off for that post? I want to see it! Wink Smilie
*laughs*
Now how did I manage THAT?

I can write a poem in Sindarin, but I can't master a basic bboard system!
My signature comes from LotR, Theoden says it in the second book or somewhere in there.

Quote:
Mine is a little kick to those who are just trying to raise their number of posts as quick as possible......

LOL. Like me... Big Laugh Smilie
Mine's from the TT movie, (in great anticipation for the 3rd one).
My signature is from the music "May It Be", from FoTR... And that, as they say, is that Tongue Smilie
I got mine from.....oh yeah! My Legolas poster.

'A red sun rises,
Blood has been spilt this night.'

I love that. I think he said that in TTT movie, I`m not sure..... Smile Smilie
My old signature was Ben Kenobi from Star wars
Mine comes from the Icelandic Snowman Smilie translation of the Lord of the Rings but Im trying to find a better one. It simply means One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them all, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

[Edited on 16/4/2003 by pesi]

[Edited on 17/4/2003 by pesi]
Quote:
I got mine from.....oh yeah! My Legolas poster.

'A red sun rises,
Blood has been spilt this night.'

I love that. I think he said that in TTT movie, I`m not sure..... Smile Smilie

Yeah, he did, it was almost in the beginning of the movie, when you see Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli running along the cliffs. In the sunrise legolas turns around and says that. Smile Smilie I thought it was a bit too much myself, but everyone to themself, right? Smile Smilie

My signature is the translation of my elven name (namegenerated).
Airecristiel - Holy Cleaving Maiden.
Aire = Holy
crist= Cleaving
iel = Maiden

I don't really know what Cleaving means, buuut.. it sounds cool. hehehe. Big Smile Smilie
I`m 99% sure it means 'faithfall. Big Smile Smilie
'Holly, faithfall, maiden. Big Smile Smilie
Cleaving = Slicing, eg. with a sword, so it's a good choice Aire. Smoke Smilie
Cleaving + to cleave (cut, chop or slice as Peredhil said)
Woaw! Thank you guys! That's really cool! Smoke Smilie
So I'm the new warriorprincess!! Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie
Watch out... Wink Smilie
uh, ok
*hides from aire*
Wink Smilie My signature................well, someone in my school told me this saying and i adopted it! Heehee.

And plus. I LOVE In Love Smilie weasels.
and cheetahs
ok thats about it. Hehehehehehe!
Quote:
Mine comes from the Icelandic Snowman Smilie translation of the Lord of the Rings but Im trying to find a better one. It simply means One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them all, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

[Edited on 16/4/2003 by pesi]

That's cool Pesi. I think it sounds beautiful in Icelandic, even though I probably not pronouncing it right. I love languages. Wink Smilie
That is a good quote Delidia! Big Laugh Smilie
Why thankyou!
Mine comes from a pub. No kidding. I was sitting in this pub (O'Donoghues, if you must know) in Dublin with my brother, and I was looking at everything that was stalled behind the bar (believe me, it was worth looking at). And I looked up, and I noticed this little sign in between all the other rubbish Tongue Smilie . And when I read it, it said: "What the hell are you looking up here for?" And I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair. Hey, it was funny! Big Laugh Smilie

I'm thinking about putting a new one up though. This one's kinda boring me. But I hate to bother Taz with it, and besides, I don't have a good new one to replace it. But if I do, it'll either be something I made up myself (it'll have to be real good then, so that can take a while Tongue Smilie ) , or an Oscar Wilde quote (in which case I'll have to find an excellend one among all the great ones).

[Edited on 20/4/2003 by TomBombadillo]
Mine changed...

it means Darkness has come, Darkness has fallen... from May It Be only in the song it goes like this:

Mornie utli
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alanti
A promise lives within you now

Hey Delidia your signature is in my Office Manager's philosophy joke
Quote:
I'm thinking about putting a new one up though. This one's kinda boring me. But I hate to bother Taz with it, and besides, I don't have a good new one to replace it. But if I do, it'll either be something I made up myself (it'll have to be real good then, so that can take a while ) , or an Oscar Wilde quote (in which case I'll have to find an excellend one among all the great ones).
Hey Tommie, once you find one you like or think you might like, and before bothering Taz to redo your avatar, you can always disable your old one by unchecking the 'Use Signature? box for each new post and manually paste your new one at the bottom for a while. (Like I have done with this post.) Then if you find you really do like it you can request that Taz redo your avatar when you are ready to make it semi-permanent once again. Just don't do this too often or our Fluff Fraggle might turn into a Tazmanian Devil. Elk Grinning Smilie

Mine was triggered by "surprise, surprise" the movie Legolas, who has this habit of delivering epigrammatic statements with an intense look that could melt steel, and he's usually doing it in Aragorn's direction.

I've always wanted to see the journey from Pelargir to the Pelennor fields, since Tolkien tells "getting to Minas Tirith" from Merry's and Rohan's perspective. I was writing the scene on the ship, as they're coming into land and Legolas is giving Aragorn a quick rundown of what he can see on the field, and that line popped out at the end of the paragraph.

I can't get it out of my head. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Sindarin, but it seems a little more eloquent than, "Aragorn, your friends are with you."
LOL. I have trouble with everything too (but cannot write a poem in Sindarin) Big Laugh Smilie Your signature is lovely. Big Smile Smilie
Nice signature Sepdet.....I am thinking about changing mine.....I was thinking about a funny one: Respect the man in the icecream vanTongue Smilie
but I think I shall stay with my little quote from Smaug the Arrogant!!
Quote:
I can write a poem in Sindarin, but I can't master a basic bboard system!

Wow Sindarin, I'm still learning Quenya and you already know Sindarin. Nice.
My signature comes from a song, "The Dragon Lies Bleeding"
Mine came out of me own mind!I know I know,thats why its stupid.
I

btw,notice how I sound like a 4 year old today. Wiggle Smilie
~~~LadyFeawen~~~
I'm sorry LadyFeawen, but I don't see your signature.
My signature comes from The Ghost in the Noonday Sun by Sid Fleischman Read Smilie. It is one of my favorite books, even if it was written for 'the youth of yesterday.' Jack o' Lantern, the pirate Pumpkin Smilie , says it (he's my favorite character, of course!) Disturbed Smilie
My signature is the signature of the man who is the best at what he does.....Logan or Weapon X and Wolvereine
I'm thinking of changing mine soon, I haven't decided yet though. Elf Confused Smilie

The horror. The horror!
Mine comes from an Adnaic translation of some lines I like:
Quote:
"Brim an-Adn yurahtam dira sibth-m ruv;
adn izindi batn tid ayadda: d ktha batna lkh...zira nnud."

I think it means "The Lords of the West broke the Earth with the assent of Eru; west a straight road once went, now all roads are bent; longing is upon us."

If you read the Silmarillion you'll probably understand why.
Quote:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

This one is really good Peredhil! Is this your own text?
Quote:
Quote:
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

This one is really good Peredhil! Is this your own text?
Oscar Wilde said it originally.
My new one is Latin (like before) and it means "The Sun Shines on Everyone" or "The Sun Shines For Everybody" Cool Smilie
Angel Smilie Mine is simply Quenya,I found it quite lovely and everyone I showed it to liked it alot.The meaning is right after the Quenya text. Big Smile Smilie I hope you'all like it.

Fea
I think it's beautiful Fea. Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
Vestan tyen, melme va sinta ar estel lohtuva tavinya.~
I swear thee, love won't fade and hope will blossom anew.~

Correction: Vandan tyen, melm va sinta ar estel lohtuva tavinya.

The verb vesta- actually means wed. Tolkien originally intended it to mean swear, but later changed it. Nonetheless, the verb usage it still wrong (it should have been vestan, meaning I wed).

The postAuthorID of the poem this quote comes from, Didier Willis, apparently doesn't know much Quenya.

Otherwise, it's great. Big Smile Smilie
Crud! I knew it was some how wrong. Thanks for pointing that out Peredhil Smile Smilie
My new signature comes from Dr. Buddy Rydell, Anger Management! Big Laugh Smilie
  [1] [2] >>