Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote something from Tolkien:

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > Quote something from Tolkien:   [1] [2] >>
Quote:
Lately I have been trying to read as much of J.R.R.ís personal thoughts as I can come across (I donít have the Tolkien letters yet).

I refer to Tolkien's letters daily just for some insight into ME.
One of my favorites (and there are many) comes from Letter #339, To the Editor of the Daily Telegraph.
Quote:
Lothlorien is beautiful because there the trees were loved; elsewhere forests are represented as awakening to consciousness of themselves. The Old Forest was hostile to two legged creatures because of the memory of many injuries. Fangorn Forest was old and beautiful, but at the time of the story tense with hostility because it was threatened by a machine-loving enemy. Mirkwood had fallen under the domination of a Power that hated all living things but was restored to beauty and became Greenwood the Great before the end of
the story.

I know Tolkien was referring to the forests and the attocities against the trees and the environment, however, I believe we can apply this to people too. Perhaps we have more in common with the trees than we think.
There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilķvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought..."
first words of AinulindalŽ

"The Great among these spirits 'the Ainur' the Elves name the Valar, the Powers of Arda, and Men have often called them gods."
Valaquenta

Thats great>> yeah and I found one new as well:

Quote:
The habitat of the old: They choose the wisest person present tp speak to, the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf in The White Rider to Aragorn
Good ones Nessa! Here's mine: (sorry I cannot figure out how to do quotes! I know how to quote people who've posted, but I don't know how to do regular quotes like Nessa just did!)

"The mightest man may be slain with one arrow."
-Frodo to Faramir (Herbs and Stewed Rabbit)

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
-Gandalf to Frodo (Shadow of the Past)

Quote:
I cannot figure out how to do quotes!
Cool Elf Smilie Easy as pie, Samwise:

Highlight your text and click on the yellow balloon above the input box.

Or click on the yellow balloon and type or paste your text between the central brackets.
Thanks Grondy! I'm glad I finally know something now! Big Smile Smilie

Quote:
A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day! (Aragorn to Eomer, The Riders of Rohan)
Can you quote from the movies as well? Orc Going Huh Smilie

Ok I'll post some quotes from the movie script below, and if you don't like them, Nessa, drop me a hint (pm or sth) and I'll remove them, ok? Big Smile Smilie

Here we go:

Quote:
The old world will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise. We will drive the machinery of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orcs. We now have only to remove those who oppose us.

Saruman, TTT movie

Quote:
The fires of Isengard will spread. And the woods of Tuckburough and Buckland will burn. And all that was once green and good in this world will be gone. There wonít be a Shire, Pippin.

Merry, TTT movie

Quote:
Itís like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didnít want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?

But in the end, itís only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didnít. Because they were holding on to something.

[We should hold on to the fact] That thereís some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And itís worth fighting for.

Sam, TTT movie

The first two are great quotes, because they refer to how industry and war destroy our homes. It's a sort of postBody to everyone that we should preserve the green spots we have left and we should start thinking about the future.

And the last one is a great quote too. It gives you courage, you know you have to hang on, because it's worth staying on a bit longer. And it is a postBody of hope, hope for the future, dark though it may look sometimes.
Lately I have been trying to read as much of J.R.R.ís personal thoughts as I can come across (I donít have the Tolkien letters yet). Here is a quote from the master himself, and this can be found in the extraordinary letter he wrote to Milton Waldman in 1951 where he outlines his complete vision for The Silmarillion;

Quote:
I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama.

For anyone who hasn't read the complete letter, I highly suggest it, as it is fascinating to hear Tolkien himself describing his vision. It's the comment about leaving scope for other minds and hands that I find most intriguing.
Elf Smilie
Good ones! Yes I agree Elfstone, it is a beautiful letter, I love the way Tolkien explains his mythology. And Tommy, the one about the old world burning in industry always moves me so much.
Quote:
He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom (Gandalf to Saruman, The Council of Elrond)
Hehe, I always smile when I read that quote Samwise. It reminds me that I cut my sisters elastic hairband in half to see what was inside, lol. Big Laugh Smilie
Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end. (Legolas - The White Rider)
Good ones! I agree Nell. That is one of the things that moves me so much about Tolkien's work, the stories take place in an ancient time and yet they contain issues that are very relevant today.
Quote:
The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out. -Gildor to Frodo

[Edited on 12/5/2003 by Samwisegamgee]
Quote:
I know Tolkien was referring to the forests and the attocities against the trees and the environment, however, I believe we can apply this to people too. Perhaps we have more in common with the trees than we think.

Nice thought, I agree! Happy Elf Smilie

Here's a quote I came across in my almost daily readings, ramblings, and researching. This is from ROTK page 43, The Passing Of The Grey Company;
Quote:
Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him.

This is Aragorn talking to Gimli about revealing himself in the palantir to the Dark Lord. This is obviously a more well known quote, but itís the last sentence that really grabs me!
Elf Smilie
I like the one that I use as a quote.

Quote:
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now foe ruin and a red nightfall!"

ROTK page 134 The Battle Of The Pelennor Fields
Quote:
A red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night.
That's Sheryl's signature. I don't know who said it, but I'll guess at Elrond. (I have a terrible memory.)
Heh, that's pure Peter Jackson Peredhil, it's from his Legolas in TTT. *laughs hysterically*
Quote:
Quote:
A red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night.
That's Sheryl's signature. I don't know who said it, but I'll guess at Elrond. (I have a terrible memory.)
Quote:
Heh, that's pure Peter Jackson Peredhil, it's from his Legolas in TTT. *laughs hysterically*
Moderator Smilie Stay on topic Peredhil! Moderator Smilie
Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

[Edited on 15/5/2003 by Grondmaster]
LOL! You can see how bad my memory is! Tongue Smilie
Quote:
I like the one that I use as a quote.

Quote:
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now foe ruin and a red nightfall!"

ROTK page 134 The Battle Of The Pelennor Fields

That's one of my favorites too Stony! I like this one that they sing at Theoden's funeral also,
Quote:
Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing. Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended; over death, over dread, over doom lifted out of loss,out of life, unto long glory.

From ROTK, page 275, Many Partings.
Elf Smilie
Quote:
He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said.
RotK VI, 9

See below from the Unfinished Tales.
I like the quote that started it all.

Quote:
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit
Quote:
and who could forget this part of that same paragraph.
It was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

First paragraph of The Hobbit.
Quote:
Oaths ye have taken: now fulfil them all, to lord and land and league of friendship!

Theoden from The Ride Of The Rohirrim, page 109, ROTK.
Elf Smilie

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
-J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring, 1954

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
-J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring (my favoritest of all!) Big Laugh Smilie

It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
-J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
-J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings, Book Four, Chapter One

Those are my favorite!
For anyone here who hasnít seen the discussion going on in the who is Gil-Galadís daddy thread, over in the M.E. characterís forum, hereís a quote that I mentioned over there that I absolutely love, because I feel like in a lot of ways itís Tolkien talking about himself, and perhaps sending a postBody to Christopher Tolkien. From page 289 of ROTK, in the chapter Many Partings,
Quote:
I wonder Frodo my dear fellow, if you would very much mind postThreadIDying things up before you go? Collect all my notes and papers, and my diary too, and take them with you, if you will. You see, I havenít much time for the selection and arrangement and all that.

Amazing stuff my friends!
Elf Smilie
^_^ This is perhaps the most excruciating moment found in any book I've ever read:
Quote:

"The great doors slammed to. Boom. The bars of iron fell into place inside. Clang. The gate was shut. Sam hurled himself against the bolted brazen plates and fell senseless to the ground. He was out in the darkness. Frodo was alive but taken by the Enemy." {_The Two Towers_ , JRRT}

There's quite a few cute, witty moments in _The Hobbit_!
Quote:

"'What do you mean?' he said.'Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?'"

"'Also, I should like to know about risks, out-of-pocket expenses, time required and remuneration, and so forth' Ėby which he meant: 'What am I going to get out of it? and am I going to come back alive?'" {both from _The Hobbit_, JRRT}

Some of my favorite writings of his are songs or poems:
Quote:

"The song I can sing is but shreds one remembers
Of golden imaginings fashioned in sleep,
A whispered tale told by the withering embers
Of old things far off that but few hearts keep." {the end of "The Bidding of the Minstrel" from _Book of Lost Tales, Vol. I_, JRRT}
Welcome to our forum Maura. Happy Elf Smilie

Yes, those are good quotes. Thumbs Up Smilie
Great avatar Grondy. Big Smile Smilie
Ooo...good! Let's see, I really like this one...

"...Telin le thaed. Lasto beth nin, tolo dan na ngalad."

said by Arwen to Frodo in FOTR.
Quote:
"...Telin le thaed. Lasto beth nin, tolo dan na ngalad."

said by Arwen to Frodo in FOTR.
Nice quote, but weren't those PJ's words? I couldn't find any coversation between Frodo and Arwen in Tolkien's FotR; though, she did talk to him using Westron in 'Many Partings', a chapter in RotK. Elf Winking Smilie

Oh, and don't mind what I've said here; it is said in friendship and I expect to be dinged when I put my foot in it, which I often do. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
"Almost felt you liked the Forest! That's good! That's uncommonly kind of you."

Treebeard to Pippin

TTT, Book III, Chapter IV
Quote:
Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

From The Silmarillion, page 179, Chapter 18, Of The Ruin Of Beleriand And The Fall Of Fingolfin.
Elf Smilie
Farewell sweet earth and northern sky,
for ever blest, since here did lie
and here with lissom limbs did run
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Luthien Tinuviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into the old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this-
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea-
that Luthien for a time should be.

From the chaper Of Beren and Luthien
Quote:
ďDear me!Ē grumbled the hobbit. ďMore walking and more climbing without breakfast! I wonder how many breakfasts, and other meals, we have missed inside that nasty clockless, timeless hole?Ē

From The Hobbit, page 243, chapter XIII. Elf Smilie
Quote:
Quote:
ďDear me!Ē grumbled the hobbit. ďMore walking and more climbing without breakfast! I wonder how many breakfasts, and other meals, we have missed inside that nasty clockless, timeless hole?Ē

From The Hobbit, page 243, chapter XIII. Elf Smilie

Sounds more like me in the morning! Good Morning Smilie
Quote:
Sounds more like me in the morning! Good Morning Smilie
Quote:
Well, if you would only clean your room! Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

[Edited on 13/9/2003 by Grondmaster]
Quote:
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures. And of these histories most fair still in the ears of the Elves is the tale of Beren and Luthien.

From The Silmarillion, chapter 19 Of Beren And Luthien, page 190.
Elf Smilie

HA! heres some quotes:
pg. 919: "I didn't ought to have left my blanket behind,"muttered Sam; and lying down, he tried to comfort Frodo with arms and body."

Gandalf's eyes flashed. "It will be my turn to get angy soon," he said. "If you say that again, i shall. Then you will see Gandalf the grey uncloaked"

"Be glad my merry friends, and let the warm sun light heat now hear and limb! CAst off these cold rags! Run naked in the grass while Tom goes a hunting!"

Last of all, Marry and Pippen said good bye to the old Ent, and he grew gayer as he looked at them.

HAHA!!! There is some humor in Tolkines books!
Quote:
But the last-comer was named among the Elves Mithrandir, the Grey Pilgrim, for he dwelt in no place, and gathered to himself neither wealth nor followers, but ever went to and fro in the Westlands from Gondor to Angmar, and from Lindon to Lorien, befriending all folk in times of need. Warm and eager was his spirit (and it was enhanced by the ring Narya), for he was the Enemy of Sauron, opposing the fire that devours and wastes with the fire that kindles, and succours in wanhope and distress; but his joy, and swift wrath, were veiled in garments grey as ash, so that only those that knew him well glimpsed the flame that was within.

From Unfinished Tales, page 408, and the chapter The Istari.
Read Smilie

Quote:
But at that last word of Feanor: that at the least the Noldor should do deeds to live in song for ever, he (Manwe) raised his head, as one that hears a voice far off, and he said: 'So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Ea, and evil be good to have been.'
But Mandos said: 'And yet remain evil. To me shall Feanor come soon.'

The Silmarillion
Quote:
The days now are short. Either our hope cometh, or all hopes end. Therefore I send thee what I have made for thee. Fare well, Elfstone!

From ROTK, The Passing Of The Grey Company, page 37.
Elf Smilie
Quote:
When Thangorodrim was broken and Morgoth overthrown, Sauron put on his fair hue again and did obeisance to Eonwe, the herald of Manwe, and abjured all his evil deeds. And some hold that this was not at first falsely done, but that Sauron in truth repented, if only out of fear, being dismayed by the fall of Morgothand the great wrath of the Lords of the West.

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, Silmarillion's last chapter

P.S.: Btw, I have my own version of Sauron's reaction; if u want to find it, just read my 'Sauron' poem from my journal! hehe Wink Smilie

Namarie!
Quote:
As if his indomitable spirit had set its potency in motion, the glass blazed suddenly like a white torch in his hand. It flamed like a star that leaping from the firmament sears the dark air with intolerable light. No such terror out of heaven had ever burned in Shelob's face before. The beams of it entered into her wounded head and scored it with unbearable pain, and the dreadful infection of light spread from eye to eye. She fell back beating the air with her forelegs, her sight blasted by inner lightnings, her mind in agony. Then turning her maimed head away, she rolled aside and began to crawl, claw by claw, towards the opening in the dark cliff behind.

From The Two Towers, the chapter The Choices of Master Samwise.
Elf Smilie
Quote:
But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?

This quote gives me goosebumps when I read the book - Gandalf in The Houses of Healing and I am so glad that although they cut THoH from the film this quote was still used and to such effect! I thought it was an excellent compromise to have Wormtongue say it. And he said it so well.

Oooooh my spine is tingling.......
Quote:
'I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
nor the arrow for its swiftness,
nor the warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Nķmenor.'

-Faramir
continuing...

Quote:

and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise.[

and another Faramir quote from Pippin..

Quote:

Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote; one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Elder Race. He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings.

Quote:
Hey! rattle and bump over rut and boulder!
The roads are rough and rest is short
for English men in ∆thelred's day.
- from The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son
I love the different feel of the two endings from LotR and the Silmarillion.

Quote:

And the ship went out into the HIgh Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, an he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

But to Sam the evening deepened to darkness as he stood at the Haven; and as he looked at the grey sea he saw only a shadow on the waters that was soon lost in the West. There still he stood far into the night, hearing only the sigh and murmur of the wavbes on the shores of Middle-earth, and the sound of them sank deep into his heard.

And from the Silmarillion:

Quote:

In the twilight of autumn it (the ship that Cirdan had made ready) sailed out of Mithlond, until the seas of the Bent World fell away beneath it, and the winds of the round sky troubled it no more, and borne upon the high airs above the mists of the world it passed into the Ancient West, and an end was come for the Eldar of story and of song.

I defy anyone to read those passages and not be moved emotionally.

Quote:
'Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.'

I think this wins unless someone else has used it.,
  [1] [2] >>