Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote something from Tolkien:

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > Quote something from Tolkien:   << [1] [2]
Quote:
As he closed it in his hand, the radiance welled through his living flesh, and his hand became as a shining lamp; but the jewel suffered his touch and hurt him not. It came then into Beren's mind that he would go beyond his vow, and bear out of Angband all three of the Jewels of Feanor, but such was not the doom of the Silmarils. The knife Angrist snapped, and a shard of the blade flying smote the cheek of Morgoth. He groaned and stirred, and all the host of Angband moved in sleep.

From The Silmarillion, page 214 in the chapter Of Beren and Luthien.
Elf Smilie
Quote:
"'But that cannot be, even if I wish it. It is against the law.'
'It is against the rule. Laws are commands upon the will and are binding. Rules are conditions; they may have exceptions.'
'But are there ever any exceptions?'
'Rules may be strict, yet they are the means, not the ends, of government. There are exceptions; for there is that which governs and is above the rules. Behold, it is by the chinks in the wall that light comes through, whereby men become aware of the light and therein perceive the wall and how it stands. The veil is woven, and each thread goes an appointed course, tracing a design; yet the tissue is not impenetrable, or the design would not be guessed; and if the design were not guessed, the veil would not be perceived, and all would dwell in darkness. But these are old parables, and I came not to speak such things. The world is not a machine that makes other machines after the fashion of Sauron. To each under the rule some unique fate is given, and he is excepted from that which is a rule to others.'"
-The Lost Road
Quote:
Aragorn sat with his head bent to his knees. Only ELrond knew fully what this hour meant to him.

*My favourite*
Loni, on its own that quote means nothing to me.. could you be more explicit, perhaps quote the previous paragraph or something, just to put the quote in context? Please.
Quote:
"I will take the Ring," he said,
"though I do not know the way."
Elrond raised his eyes and looked at him.........
"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise
from their quiet fields,
to shake the towers and counsels of the Great.
Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it?"
Quote:
Who knows now the counsels of Morgoth? Who can measure the reach of his thought, who had been Melkor, mighty among the Ainur of the Great Song, and sat now, a dark lord upon a dark throne in the North, weighing in his malice all the tidings that came to him, and perceiving more of the deeds and purposes of his enemies than even the wisest of them feared, save only Melian the Queen? To her often the thought of Morgoth reached out, and there was foiled.

Page 245 of The Sil., the chapter entitled Of Turin Turambar. Elf Smilie
Originally, I thought part of the following quote (that I had also posted in another thread) said something else than it did, but I had mis-read. Anyway, I still like the quote, so I'm posting it here too. This quote comes from letter #181 in The Letters of J.R.R Tolkien;

Quote:
But at this point the ‘salvation’ of the world and Frodo’s own ‘salvation’ is achieved by his previous pity and forgiveness of injury. At any point any prudent person would have told Frodo that Gollum would certainly betray him, and could rob him in the end. To ‘pity’ him, to forbear to kill him, was a piece of folly, or a mystical belief in the ultimate value-in-itself of pity and generosity even if disastrous in the world of time. He did rob him and injure him in the end – but by a ‘grace’, that last betrayal was at a precise juncture when the final evil deed was the most beneficial thing any one could have done for Frodo! By a situation created by his ‘forgiveness’, he was saved himself, and relieved of his burden. He was very justly accorded the highest honours - since it is clear that he and Sam never concealed the precise course of events.

Look Around Smilie
Loni Posted Thursday 19th August 2004 (02:36am) (This post was moved here as it is a more appropriate thread - Vee, Council Member)

Heehee. Alright, this is not mine, you'll recognise it, but it's just for those who haven't read The SIlmarillion. It's my favourite poem by Tolkien. I memorised it and recited it for my Drama assessment. And I got EXCELLENCE!!!!! (That's the best you can get, by the way)

He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying
Sang in answer a song of staying.
Resisitng, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape
Of changing and of shifting shape.
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.
Backwards and forwards swayed their song,
REeling and foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled. Felagund fought,
And all the magic and might he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond
The sighing of the sea beyond
Beyond the western world, on sand
On sand of pearl in Elvenland.
Then the gloom gathered; darkness growing,
In Valinor, the red blood flowing,
Beside the sea where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships and their white sails
from lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles,t he fires burn -
And Finrod fell before the throne.

It took me AGES to memorise.
The wolf howls.
Well done Loni, I'll bet it took a tad bit to type it in here, too.Happy Elf Smilie I've only memorized Sam's two short poems from LotR. Which two are those? 'Gil-galad' and 'In Western Lands'. Cool Elf Smilie
Quote:
Loni, on its own that quote means nothing to me.. could you be more explicit, perhaps quote the previous paragraph or something, just to put the quote in context? Please.

If I gave yout he previous paragrph it wouldn't help. All I can say is the Fellowship were about to begin their journey.

I have memorised lots of Tolkien poems, but I'm having a break now so I don't forget the ones I know. But Sam's one of the Troll and Bilbo's Hey diddle diddle one are already slipping!

Quote:
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Too true. I have found that this passage helps me to maintain perspective in my life, as silly as it sounds. The simple things really are the best life has to offer.
Quote:
Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Hurin cried: 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!'

From The Silmarillion, the chapter Of The Fifth Battle
Elf Smilie
Elfstone, that is one of my favorite quotes!

Quote:
Huan in that hour slew Carcharoth; but there in the woven woods of Doriath his own doom long spoken was fulfilled, and he was wounded mortally, and the venom of Morgoth entered into him. Then he came, and falling beside Beren spoke for the third time with words; and he bade Beren farewell before he died. Beren spoke not, but laid his hand upon the head of the hound, and so they parted.

The Silmarillion, Of Beren and Luthien

Tolkien does not often involve dogs into his stories, but I have always found it interesting and touching that he created Huan to aid Beren and Luthien and also that he bound him to the fate of the Silmarils.
I'd really like to get in on this but most of my quotes are misquotes, and my quotable moments are probably a bit iffy....I should check them up, but I haven't the energy and cannot find the books right now...

But how about "Ai Mae Govanean, Dunedain or whatever... a star shines at the hour of our meeting" ... Glorfindel to Aragon on the last stretch on the road to Rivendell, before the black riders catch up on the company......?

"I will take it, though I do not know the way", Frodo, at the council of Elrond.....

Or Aragon on the hunt through Rohan, "I will choose though all my choices thus far have gone ill.... "(or some such when he makes Gimli and Legolas follow him, hunting Orcs..)

Quote:
Then Elrond and Galadriel rode on; for the Third Age was over, and the Days of the Rings were passed, and an end was come of the story and song of those times. With them went many Elves of the High Kindred who would no longer stay in Middle-earth; and among them, filled with a sadness that was yet blessed and without bitterness, rode Sam, and Frodo, and Bilbo, and the Elves delighted to honour them.

From R.O.T.K., The Grey Havens.
Elf Smilie
Quote:
"A blunderbuss, was it?" said he, scratching his head. "I thought it was horseflies!" - Farmer Giles of Ham
haha, the giant!!! I love that bit. I used this quote today in context of my friends, who has three times displayed owrrying behaviour. Nothing serious. But disturbing.

Quote:
Three times!!!! Three times is a threat!

i don't know the exact wording, I don't have TLOTR on me. But it's Gollum, after the nazgul pass over the dead marshes. It's the third time, as you can guess.
Quote:
Here ends the SILMARILLION. If it passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin, that was of old the fate of Arda Marred; and if any change shall come and the Marring be amended, Manwë and Varda may know; but they have not revealed it, and it is not declared in the dooms of Mandos. - from the last page of 'Of the Voyage of Eärendil' found in The Silmarillion.
That's such a good ending note.

Quote:
But how about "Ai Mae Govanean, Dunedain or whatever... a star shines at the hour of our meeting" ... Glorfindel to Aragon on the last stretch on the road to Rivendell, before the black riders catch up on the company......?

No no, Mae Govannen Dunadan means "WEll met, Aragorn!" the star shining one is what thingy (I know it, but I just can't remember right now) said to Frodo in the shire. The High Elves guy. And he said "Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo."
Actually Glorfindal said to Aragorn:
Quote:
Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!
While it was to Gildor Inglorion that Frodo, in the hills above Woodhall, said:
Quote:
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting.'
In the English versions anyway. Happy Elf Smilie
Gildor Inglorion! That's it!!! Darn, twelve times is obviously not enough. I shall read TLOTR again at Christmas, when I have time. no homework over the end of year holidays, cause teachers don't know if kids will be in their class again.
Quote:
cause teachers don't know if kids will be in their class again.

Yes, i heard rumours about the harsh NZ winters and the abominable snowman, who swallows unweary kids as a whole ! No wonder classes become empty.
Quote:
Gandalf did not laugh again; and he did not answer, but looking keenly at Saurman he drew on his pipe and sent out a great ring of smoke with many smaller rings that followed it. Then he put up his hand, as if to grasp them, and they vanished. With that he got up and left Saurman without another word; but Saurman stood for some time silent, and his face was dark with doubt and displeasure.

From the chapter The Hunt For The Ring in UT.

Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
One of my favorite's. . .

Quote:
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings, Book III, Chapter VI
Quote:
...alas...

numerous places in the books
Quote:
The wind so whirled a weathercock
He could not hold his tail up;
The frost so nipped a throstlecock
He could not snap a snail up.
'My case is hard' the throstle cried,
And 'All is vane' the cock replied;
And so they set their wail up.
- from the scribbling in a margin near Bilbo's When winter first begins to bite found in the Red Book of Westmarch. This according to the preface to The Adventures of Tom Bombadil by J.R.R.Tolkien, now found in The Tolkien Reader.
Grondy beat me to the punch on the quote that ends Quenta Silmarillion. So many memorable quotes others cited do I love, but --out of memory error--. The one from Tolkiens letter about the significance of Frodos pity to his fate is very telling, and I've always loved Gandalfs words to him on the subject (hmm, connection?) So I'll go with my (other) most faves, and if they're all from the same source, well, that tells you something about me.
Quote:
'Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.'

Quote:
'Great is the Fall of Gondolin.'

And a final one I consider a quite profound and insightful, from the Ainulindalë.
Quote:
The one was deep and wide and beautiful, but slow and blended with an immeasurable sorrow, from which its beauty chiefly came. The other had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony, but rather a clamorous unison as of many trumpets braying upon a fwe notes. And it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that it/s most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern....

Then Ilùvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilùvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.
Marred? Yes. Destroyed? No!

Edit: "inciteful" was perhaps a Freudian slip. The internet creates homophones, sorry.
I always liked...

Quote:
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door...You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.
Quote:
"A Wizard os never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early, he arrives precisly when he mans to."

-Gandalf FOTR
Quote:
"I don't know half of you hald as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

-Bilbo FOTR
Quote:
"Indeed it is hardly possible to seperate you two even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not."

-Elrond FOTR
Quote:
"Wait, we're comming too. You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us."

-Merry FOTR
Quote:
"Any way you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest."

-Pippin FOTR
Quote:
"Well that rules you out Pippin."

-Merry FOTR
and lastly...
Quote:
"What's happening out there?"

-Gimli TTT
Quote:
"Shall I describe it to you...or would you like me to get you a box?"

-Legolas TTT

ok so i have a lot of quotes i like and if you think that is a lot just wait untill i can find my ROTK book and movieVery Sad SmilieShaking Head SmilieOrc Sad SmilieSerching Smilie
Quote:
Year still after year flows
down the Seven Rivers;
cloud passes, sunlight glows,
reed and willow quivers
at morn and eve, but never more
westward ships have waded
in mortal waters as before,
and their song has faded.

- the last stanza of JRR Tolkien's poem, 'The Last Ship', which can be found at the end of The Tolkien Reader.
Quote:
The curves of the land were familiar somehow. Yes: the ground was becoming level, as it should, and now, of course, it was beginning to rise again. A great green shadow came between him and the sun. Niggle looked up, and fell off his bicycle.

Before him stood the Tree, his Tree, finished. If you could say that of a Tree that was alive, its leaves opening, its branches growing and bending in the wind that Niggle had so often felt or guessed, and had so often failed to catch...'It's a gift!'

Leaf by Niggle
Quote:
It is difficult with these evil folk to know when they are in league and when they are cheating one another.

was said by aragorn in TT.
Here are some lines from a poem which impressed me very much:

"I sit beside the fire and think
Of people long ago
And people who will see a world
That I shall never know."

(One of Bilbo's last songs in Rivendell)
Quote:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Bilbo's party speech. Smile Smilie
I'm choosing to be generous and take that as a correction of the post half a dozen before yours, rather than mere repetition. :elftongue: Oh, and, er... ... ...

Quote:
Then for the second time Huan spoke with words; and he counselled Beren, saying: 'From the shadow of death you can no longer save Lúthien, for by her love she is now subject to it. You can turn from your fate and lead her into exile, seeking peace in vain while your life lasts. But if you will not deny your doom, then either Lúthien, being forsaken, must assuredly die alone, or she must with you challenge the fate that lies before you -- hopeless, yet not certain. Further counsel I cannot give, nor may I go further on your road. But my heart forebodes that what you find at the Gate I shall myself see. All else is dark to me; yet it may be that our three paths lead back to Doriath, and we may meet before the end.'

I think we all know the source; "hopeless, yet not certain" seems to me to sum up Arda, and other things as well....

By the way, I'm indebted to Grondy for letting me know charmap exists, which I didn't. I had thought it merely a list of ASCII codes when he mentioned it, but I know from bitter experience "≠" does not exist in ASCII, let alone Hebrew, Cyrillic and Arabic scripts. Awesome.
Quote:
"Intellectually and aesthetically, of course; man cannot live on stone and sand, but I at any rate cannot live on bread alone; and if there was not bare rock and pathless sand and the unharvested sea, I should grow to hate all green things as a fungoid growth...."

JRR Tolkien from 'Letters'; number 78.

Good can exist and have beauty, but that beauty is augmented when set in contrast to the barren... random thought Big Smile Smilie
Letter #287: "Thank you very much for your suggestions about my telephone number, which I will consider. Removing the number from the directory seems better than the method adopted by Major W. H. Lewis in protecting his brother, which was to lift the receiver and say 'Oxford Sewage Disposal Unit' and go on repeating it until they go away." Ha Ha Ha Smilie

And links to some of my favorite JRRT poems, which are (I feel) aren't known by enough Tolkien-fans:
Mythopoeia
The Sea Bell (or Frodo's Dreme)
The Trees of Kortirion
Kôr —In a City Lost and Dead
Ælfwine's Song
  << [1] [2]