Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Today is Friday the Thirteenth

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > Today is Friday the Thirteenth   
Oh Dear! Friday the 13th fell on a Friday this month. Are you superstitious? Are you planning on staying in bed today? Do you have any thing in this vein to share with us?

Personally I'm not superstitious; however, I won't walk under a ladder just because. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
A wise policy, Grondmaster.

Friday the Thirteenth is no more harmful than any given Monday, the Dreaded day, or than any major holiday that includes the tradition of drinking alcohol, it just sounds evil because someone decided to give it a stigma-perhaps someone got dumped that day and cursed it? In the Wiccan religion, which in itself connotates witchcraft and shady things, Friday the Thirteenth has no significance whatsoever. What is the big deal? Can't we make Tuesday the Third more dreadful?
By all acounts, Friday the 13th was the day the Knights Templar where all rounded up and assainated in france a thousand years ago or so. The Knights Templar where searching and perhaps protecting a great secret, with that came a lot of power and some king(or perhapes one of the popes, I can't remember, pretty sure it was a pope actually) or another decided to charge them with false crimes against the crown/church in order to get rid of them. But since politics and religion is out of bounds here I shall not devulge this great secret :P aparently friday the 13th has been considered a day of bad luck ever since.
I don't think Friday the 13th is so bad, just found out my boyfriend will be home at 10 pm at the nearby bust stop rather than midnight at the ferry. So I'll have him home 2 hours and.... 25 minutes earler than expected! Wohooo!! Big Smile Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Juggling Smilie
Interesting post, Rhodry. I always wondered where the dread of Friday the 13th came from. You've peaked my curiosity to research the Knights of Templar story more. Personally I have no superstitions about the day myself and seldom notice when this event happens. But I am sure there are those afraid to get out of bed today. I'm just looking forward to the weekend!
I've got no qualms with Friday the 13th. Though I do hate it when it falls on a full moon night - people just get weird then, in my neighborhood, playing pranks and doing really stupid stuff. But I'll pet a black cat and walk around a ladder (I never walk under it any day since one tried to fall on me...on a Saturday! Wink Smilie ) with no worries. Big Smile Smilie
Further to the Knights Templar story.....

King Philip IV took refuge from an angry mob one day in one of the Templar buildings. While there, he was astounded to see how much treasure the Knights had stored there (for the industrious souls had spent the past decade or so trading with the Saracens rather than fighting them). Seeing this treasure, Philip realised he could kill two birds with one stone. His royal treasury was empty, and taking the Templar gold would help refill it. Also, at that time, countries did not keep large regular armies. They tended to conscript troops at times of war to save money. With the Holy Wars at an end, the Templars actually had the largest standing army in Europe. As most of them were camped out in France, Philip felt threatened by this.

Having decided to do away with the Templars and take their gold, he gave sealed orders to his secret police etc, with specific orders that they were not to be opened until dawn, Friday 13th (cannot remember which month) 1307. The templars must have got wind of the surprise attack, however, for as Philip's secret police and soldiers made their surprise attacks simultaneously on buildings throughout France, they managed to arrest just seven Templars. All the rest had disappeared, along with most of their gold and weapons, plus the largest fleet in Europe.

The mystery remains to this day, however, of where they all disappeared to. They just seemed to melt away, and never reappeared as the Templars. Strangely, it is said that a few years later at the Battle of Bannockburn, in which Robert the Bruce of Scotland was fighting the English, a small fresh army appeared on the field at the end of the day's fighting. The English appeared to recognise this army, and though it was only small, they fled the field rather than fight it. It is said that this army was composed of Templar Knights, a rumour reinforced by a grave yard found on a small Scotish island containing six Templar graves dating from this period.

Whatever, the Templars seemed to disappear into an underground organisation, most likely becoming years later the foundation of British Freemasonary.

So, Friday 13th. I kind of shy away from it normally, but don't go to great lengths to not do things or worry about it. I spent the day at sea, and we all survived without anything going wrong. I'd call that a good day.
I had a reasonably good day today.
Quote:
The mystery remains to this day, however, of where they all disappeared to. They just seemed to melt away, and never reappeared as the Templars.

if ur wondering most theorize and have evidence that the remaining templar knights fled to the Americas.
I have a book somewhere about the Knights Templar...... Holy Blood, Holy Grail...... read it once but I don't remember much about it.

Perhaps I should find it.
The Templars were like cleric-policemen who protected the Christians on their pilgrimage to and from Jurusalem, as well as while they were there. They were known as the Knights of the Temple of Jurusalem

The Knights Templar by Stephan Howarth, says it was Friday the 13 October 1307 that the Master of the Temple and five thousand Templers in the length and breadth of France were arrested by the king's men. Pope Clement V threw his lot in with King Philip for a share of the spoils and the Order was no more as of 18 March 1314. A few escaped and went into hiding, but could no longer bear the red cross on white.

So though the pagen Saracens couldn't wipe out the order in the Holy Land, that unholy task was undertaken by the leaders of Christendom, who did it with much avariciousness.
As with other secret societies and oath-bound groups of questionable circumstance, how could any of them truly disappear and refrain from reverting back to their former behavior or duties? Certainly one could not simply repress all knowledge and battle-lust forever after. Wouldn't their natural abilities and personalities eventually surface? I mean to say, what kind of life could be led after disappearing? Surely it would pale in comparison to the former. Or is that naive to wonder about? The Templar story is so intriguing, I must say.
It is widely rumered that they did keep their faith and some belive they carried out there duties in others parts of the world, still protecting their great secret, and that it has been handed down from generation to generation. Perhaps Val is right and it is the Masons, or some similar secret society.
Though most of this is conspirisy(sp), and won't be found in history books.
Found it! The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln, published by Corgo Books. I read it in 1984! A very involved and complex book dealing with many conspiracy theories and the history and future of Knights Templar.
I've read that too and found it fascinating. Recently re-read it after 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown but I didn't think it had much on the Templars. BTW I've always had better luck than usual on Friday 13th but I'm fairly superstitious.
Well guess what gang, Friday the 13th once again fell on a Friday this month. Did you stay in bed all day today, so as to stay out of trouble?
still alive...only 3 more hours...
Quote:
Rhodry*of*Aberwyn
Posted Friday 13th August 2004 (06:13am)

By all acounts, Friday the 13th was the day the Knights Templar where all rounded up and assainated in france a thousand years ago or so. The Knights Templar where searching and perhaps protecting a great secret, with that came a lot of power and some king(or perhapes one of the popes, I can't remember, pretty sure it was a pope actually) or another decided to charge them with false crimes against the crown/church in order to get rid of them. But since politics and religion is out of bounds here I shall not devulge this great secret :P aparently friday the 13th has been considered a day of bad luck ever since.

Yet another person , who had read the Da Vinci Code Smile Smilie

I had a car accident on the evening of Friday the 13th... I had never been a superstitous pers... Ack!!! A Black cat!!!

*runs away screaming*
I had a great Friday the 13th. Woke up with a headache and thus bunked all the lectures since I didn't want to worsen the pain. And yeah, I ain't superstitious too. (Touchwood!)
I had a great Friday the thirteenth too. Luke, the guy from next door has finally decided to break the ice with me. And also, my cousin passed her driver's lisence test.
Quote:
Luke, the guy from next door has finally decided to break the ice with me.

I didn't know you lived on Tatooine... just led the lad concentrate on the Force, will ye? The fate of the universe depends on it.
Ummmmmmmm...

It's Friday the 13th again!!!!

Big Smile Smilie

And I am VERY excited about today!!!
Well Friday the 13th is very lucky for the optimists and very unlucky for the pessimist so chose your camp!!! Elk Grinning Smilie
Today has been great so far.... well it's only a few hours into today, so I guess I can't say much.... but it doesn't feel that bad...
Tell yourself today is your luckiest day and see if you won't have a superb day clover! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
I am hoping today will be a lucky day and that the 5 missing crewmen from 'Bourbon Dolphin' will be found alive. But it doesn't look good for them. It's a local boat and a local crew. Orc Sad Smilie news article
I got out at the wrong side of the bed. Yep, Friday the 13th alright!
Heard about the boat this morning on Euro news. Well its a sad affair. I also hope they are found safe but al least the others are alright.
Quote:
It's a local boat and a local crew

I hope everything goes well though the media is not optimistic..
Hope you'll have a wonderful time with your boyfriend.
Have a nice weekendWaving Hello Smilie
THIS IS QUITE POSSIBLY THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR!!!!

i mean...for me at least.
Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie
Is it your birthday? Whether it is or not I'm glad you're having a good day!
I rarely ever know it is friday thirteenth unless reminded by someone. It has never meant anything to me.
Today it is not the thirteenth, it is Friday though, but the date is 26.th of December!