Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: LOTR vs. Star Wars

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > LOTR vs. Star Wars   [1] [2] >>
This thread was done on the Star Wars website forum with a lot of feedback, though some got a little hot under the collar. I hope you can give both the respect they deserve (unlike some in the SW forum). To answer my own question, I like Star Wars a little better, but only because I saw them first. Though Lord of the Rings is coming up fast in my list of favorite things.
I like both equally well. I used to compare them when I first saw LOTR in theatres, but now I don't. In some ways, they're too far apart to compare. Suffice it to say Star Wars is my fave sci-fi and LOTR is my fave fantasy. Big Smile Smilie
Great question, I think everyone holds whichever trilogy they saw first in slight higher esteem. The only difference was that after reading the books, LoTR took a new form for me. I have to say that the books breathe new life into the movies and just expand so much on an already incredible world. You have to love this trilogy
oo000oooo000oo i'm soooo mad about this!

naw just kidding. As you'll probably learn in due time most people here are fairly laid back and won't flame you out, unlike some forums you go to that start with a 'S' and end in 'Wars' I'm gonna leave it anonymous...

HOwever considering your question, i'll answer you with a question, and then i'll reply... DO you mean LOTR movies, or can you consider the books? Also which starwars are you talking about the original 3 including the new ones? Or just the original 3?
I vote for LOTR, but just because I have never really liked Star Wars. My favorit Space related Sci-Fi would defenitly be Star Trek! So really I can't compare LOTR with star Wars!
Star Wars is a tribute to LOTR be Lucas. He said so in an interview. C'mon the storylines almost match. Yes, yes, there is no ring and all. But how if you compare Death star to Barad Dur and the reactors in the centre to the Mount Doom. Instead of dropping the ring, they just shot a few lasers into it and KABOOM!!! Its difficult to visualise but the essence is the same! Black bad, white good!
Areas where they aren't comparable IMHO are: the LOTR books are better than the LOTR movies; while, the SW movies (well maybe just the first three) are better than the SW books (those that I've read anyway).
ya i never read the SW books, but i really enjoyed the original 3 movies growing up. Return of the Jedi was released before my time started. I've decided my answer for your question.....

Comparing the movies I say the original 3 Star Wars movies take the cake.

Comparing the SW movie to the LOTR books... No competition LOTR wins hands down.

Can't really compare the SW books to LOTR books, because i never read SW books. But i'm sure i'd choose LOTR any day.

Digressing slightly it seems to me that films made from books suffer almost the same tragedy as books written after the films.

I've glanced at a few SW books and they seem one dimensional. The first few SW films are classics but the books lack depth whereas with LotR the books are magnificent and the films less so because they lack so much.

Could it be that each idea works best within whichever medium it originated in? Anything that comes afterwards is a mere shadow?

Oh Star Wars! There's a new sequel "The Revenge of The Sith" was that right? I just love reading books, watching movies, and play and create games in the computer! Watching them go all over all of those makes my stressful life happier! Star Wars is great ! And so is Lord of The Rings!
I had two best friends, Harry Potter Fan and Star Wars Fan and me LOTR Fan, how amazing Shocked Smilie ! Star Wars is really great not because of my S.W. friend is beside me right now playing a Star War game. But I think I like LOTR more because the way it was created was very fantastic, it seems to be very real! It was like they were never created as if they were really there!Star Wars well seems to happen in future someday but I just can't find myself in there. Althought I'm more of the future because of my failures but I still found myself in the hobbit hole in peace. And Peace is such a complicated word and maybe I should not use it.But if I was given a wish I would like to both of them real. I never lie when it comes to feelings and wishes!
Oops I forgot something! Teacher Smilie Star Wars vs LOTR thing is just made to attract more viewers and more people!
Hey Daph You forgot that Star Wars takes place along time ago in a galaxy far far away.As far as the films go SW wins since they were intended for film and were original. But now with the more recent changes in the original films with the added effects... well then LotR wins since the special edition from PJ are better then the theatrical release. SW also looses points with the new episodes Sad Smilie , Lucas seems to have lost his mind, but maybe it will all turn out with the final one. As far as the books VS. movies that argument will never end, but the attempt by PJ was a heroic accomplishment. The SW books on the other hand can be fun but along with the most recent films a fan is better off just imagining that galaxy as they see fit and no longer through the eyes of others. Books Vs. Books Tolkien wins every time Smoke Smilie.
I would definitely say LOTR. I like Star Wars (at least the first three), but I have always preferred LOTR. Smile Smilie
Ok, I'm a huge fan of both, but if we're going for quality here, then LOTR takes the cake. As far as I know, the Star Wars books were actually written after the movies, which is why they are one dimensional. They are really a movie script, adding a bit more information, such as Luke's friends on Tattooine, as well as discussing his desires and motives a bit more. I would have to say, especially from the last two movies (first two, I guess), that Lucas is a gifted imagineer, but not a very gifted writer. The Star Wars scripts that were written by other individuals are definitely the better scripts, but he did indeed come up with the world, characters and storyline, which are fantastic. Lucas was highly influenced by Greek mythology, which is also obvious in the Oedipal-like storyline.

Tolkien is a gifted writer. He is fantastic with language and words, and on the page, this makes for more enjoyable reading, for we can picture exactly what he is talking about. Of course, this also makes for a more enjoyable movie, if done right, for it is easier to lift off the page (more work to narrow down, but easier to picture.) Basically, Tolkien is a scholar, which makes his work more thoughtful and intelligent. Lucas is amazing, and I love Star Wars, but Tolkien has the upperhand in my book. Teacher Smilie
Hmmm...seems I'm the only one here who likes the SW books. No stone-throwing, please! Wink Smilie Admittedly, there are a few that don't add much to the storyline and a few that should have been written by authors that could write better, but overall, I like 'em. My fave series would have to be New Jedi Order, though. If you want something on the scale of the movies, read those. Or Timothy Zahn's trilogy.

And a question that's really been bugging me: why does everyone seem to write off the new Star Wars movies? I've never had the chance to ask until now. Personally, I like the new ones as much as the old and am counting down the months until Revenge of the Sith is released, but I'd like to get actual opinions/reasons why the new ones don't seem to be a hit.

And in keeping with the thread's subject, the LOTR books are so rich in history (albeit made-up history) that it's very hard to compare it to Star Wars, which is more good vs. evil heroism than anything else.

Still, it all depends on my current mood. Today, I wrote some more of a LOTR fan fiction story, so LOTR is today's fave. Tomorrow, I may decide to fly an X-Wing. Smoke Smilie
LOTR vs. SW, hmmm, I think it really comes down to a matter of individual taste. There are people out there that love Star Wars but canít stand LOTR, and vice versa. However, there does seem to be an awful lot of us that are huge fans of both (such as myself).

If weíre really going to get down to it, if youíre talking vs. one or the other, the only comparison that can really be accurately made is with the films because there is nothing in Star Wars literature that even comes close to being anywhere near on the same scale as Tolkienís writings on ME.

However I will say this, if anyone here is seriously interested in reading any of the Star Wars books, the only oneís worth reading are the books written by award winning science fiction novelist Timothy Zahn. George Lucas authorized Mr. Zahn some years back to officially write the stories for parts 7, 8, and 9, and trust me they are well worth the read! Those books are the official continuation to the SW saga, and are a must for any serious SW fan!

Iíve said many times before, if they ever made movies from those books, people would be absolutely blown away! The stories that Zahn wrote are by far and away superior to any of the stories contained in the first 6 official installments (for those that may not know, SW is officially a 9 part story) of the SW saga. Alas though, they will never be made into film because there are too many of the same characters included from the original SW trilogy (book 7 takes place 10 years after ROTJ), and with the cult status of the original 3 films, the movie going public by and large will never be able to accept any other actors in the parts of Han, Luke, and Leia (but thatís a topic for another discussion).

Anyway, for anyone who might be interested, the official books 7, 8, and 9 by Zahn are called Heir to the Empire (7), Dark Force Rising (8), and The Last Command. In recent years I believe Zahn has also written 4 more books that pick up where 9 leaves off, but Iím not sure that those have been officially authorized by Lucas? Iíve personally read 10, and 11, and they were quite good, but I have yet to read the new Zahn ones. Every other book written about SW (and there are a lot of them) are just spin-offís (really just bad equivalents of fan fic) and I wouldnít recommend wasting your time reading any of them unless you are just a huge, huge, huge SW junkie.

Now back to the real question at hand, one comparison that can be made is the fact that both creators (Tolkien, Lucas) each invented their own world, characters, languages, etc. However Tolkien gets the edge here because of the sheer size, and scope of his work. Nobody IMHO in the entire history of this planet has ever come close to matching the scale that Tolkien achieved, and the entire history of Ea is far more expansive and detailed than the SW universe. Also Lucas drew a lot of inspiration from Tolkienís writings on ME, so again advantage JRRT.

As far as putting the films up against each other, for my money SW still easily takes the cake! When thinking about the original SW trilogy, it is essential for one to realize just how groundbreaking, and revolutionary those films were! Nothing in the entire history of film had ever been done like that before, and those films completely changed the rules for movie making, and completely altered the course of modern cinema forever! The groundbreaking technology of the SW trilogy paved the way for the LOTR movies to be made!

I like the LOTR films, and I think on many, many levels they represent a stunning achievement in film. My only real gripe with the LOTR films is just with the script, other than that, they are brilliant in every way! I see many similarities between the original SW trilogy, and the LOTRís films though because both were, and will continue to be so revolutionary. Just as the original SW trilogy was sort of the ďbarĒ if you will for the last 25 years or so, I think on a movie making technological level, the LOTRís films have become the new bar. We will continue to see the rippling effects of Gollumís CGI character in modern cinema for many years to come, not to mention that no one had ever filmed 3 movies at the same time before, and now we are already seeing others (The Matrix for example) trying to follow suit.

When it really comes down to it, both the SW trilogy, and the LOTR films have been groundbreaking, and revolutionary in many ways, but SW came first, and paved the way for films like the LOTR movies to one day be able to be made. I personally believe that the SW films have had, and continue to have a much bigger impact and influence on everything that has been done since than the LOTR films ever will. Also even though Lucas drew inspiration from various sources for creating the SW universe, he still had to wing it, and come up with a lot more on his own, whereas Pajama and Co. had the luxury of leaning on the greatest writer and storyteller of all time!
Elf Smilie
Quote:
Anyway, for anyone who might be interested, the official books 7, 8, and 9 by Zahn are called Heir to the Empire (7), Dark Force Rising (8), and The Last Command.

I agree Elfstone. These books are great. I would recommend everyone who is a Star Wars fan to read them.

As for the original movies, they are wonderful and true, very groundbreaking. They definitely led the way for current films. The new movies are okay, but the writing, man, I really don't know what Lucas was thinking. Also, the actors are great actors in other movies; Lucas has this amazing knack for taking actors and making them so they can't act in his movies. Very strange. Elf Smilie
The Star Wars movies blow the LOTR movies away. Safe perhaps episode 2 because Hayden Christensen is in it. But he and Natalie Portman cancel out, i guess. Hehehe.

Nice to see Yoda kick some arse as well in Ep 2. Lucas doesn't make short ppl the comic reliefs, that's for sure!
What?! I'm so sorry Virumor, but the Star Wars movies do not blow the LOTR movies out of the water. What have you been smoking? Smoke Smilie

You seem to be a fairly intelligent person to me, and to say that the Star Wars movies are good writing and good acting compared to LOTR is just silly.

Oh, and to say that Hayden and Natalie cancel each other out...bah! Natalie is a great actress, she's beautiful and talented, but she is terrible in Star Wars!

That being said...I can't wait to line up for Revenge of the Sith! Woo hoo! Smile Smilie

Oh...can someone tell me how Anakin went from like 5 to 18 and Amadala didn't age at all?
Quote:
Oh...can someone tell me how Anakin went from like 5 to 18 and Amadala didn't age at all?
It's all in the genes, Amadala had Numenorian ancestors. Elk Grinning Smilie
lol Grondy Smile Smilie
Personally, I think they're both classics, each of their time. Star Wars is the ultimate trilogy of the 20th century, and LOTR is the ultimate trilogy of the 21st century. But, if we're talking of books, then Tolkien gets the gold! Very Big Grin Smilie Read Smilie
LOTR is 10 trillion, katrillion, batrillion, rillion, zillion times better den star warz. Though the exception of my fav actor, Harrison Ford, (Hollywood Homacide, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Air Force One) it was not on my list of fav movies. Though so far LOTR trilogy is in da top 10 of my fav movies.
Quote:
It's all in the genes, Amadala had Numenorian ancestors.

LOL! Big Laugh Smilie That explains it all!
Quote:
And a question that's really been bugging me: why does everyone seem to write off the new Star Wars movies? I've never had the chance to ask until now. Personally, I like the new ones as much as the old and am counting down the months until Revenge of the Sith is released, but I'd like to get actual opinions/reasons why the new ones don't seem to be a hit.

Well Iíll try to keep this somewhat brief Nilgaerien because your question really is a topic of itís own (the topic nowadays for SW fans really), but since Iíve had this discussion with countless individuals, Iíll try to offer you at least my own opinion on the matter.

I think itís because SW is just so huge now, that the expectations for the new films were extremely high, and as a result somewhat unrealistic. For better or worse, right or wrong, fair or not, people are constantly (and forever will be) comparing the new films to the original three. My view on this is (and Iíve been telling this to people even before Episode 1 came out) that you canít really adequately compare them against each other because each set of films were made in different times, under different circumstances, and with a different set of technologies.

The thing about Star Wars when it first came out was the initial success of the film, and the on screen chemistry between the characters (which most tend to find lacking in EP1 & 2) was really sort of an accident. True Lucas had his vision, but he (and the rest of the people involved) had no idea SW was going to turn into this huge runaway mega hit, and ultimately become the massive cultural phenomena that it is today. Everything just sort of fell in place kind of mystically for that first SW film. There was alot of trial and error, and a sort of creative innocence/ignorance that Lucas and Co. possessed then because they werenít really aware of what was, or wasnít going to happen. So as a result, the original films are alot more organic, spontaneous, and accidental.

Fast-forward a couple of decades and SW has become this massively huge thing, a cultural empire if you will, the most sacred and beloved motion picture trilogy of all time! The biggest problem for the new movies now becomes (hence the different set of circumstances) that Lucas is aware of all this, so the whole creative process is changed.

Now he is consciously trying to set out to create a blockbuster, to create a mega hit, to equal or surpass what he achieved before, and to tie it all together somehow in grand fashion. Now the unconscious innocence, spontaneity, and the organic vibe of the first films are lost. You canít go back and recapture a moment in time. Now Lucas has to consciously try and live up to the hype, and in his mind you have to think he knows (thinking prior to the making of the new films) that he has to deliver big time! So you see, now the circumstances in which the films are being made are totally different. Again, whereas the original trilogy was alot more organic, spontaneous, and accidental, now you have the SW empire, the SW formula, the enormous expectations, and the huge SW fan base to answer to, and it completely changes everything!

Also, the first three films were so groundbreaking technologically, and so recognized for their crowning achievements in film, that I think Lucas has tried to follow suit with the new films, and it isnít working for most of the fans. Now Lucas has all this really amazing technology that he didnít have before, and heís utilizing it in all of these new, and creative ways in an attempt to have these films be the technological achievement the first films were, but it has created a sterile atmosphere for the films. True that EP1 & 2 have both been stunning achievements in many ways, but itís largely been on the CGI front, and too much of that has been a major turn off for a lot of fans.

Well I could go on and on about this, and truth be told I could give you a better answer if I elaborated a bit more, but Iíve probably rambled on enough. Personally I like the new movies myself too, but Iíve never fallen into the trap of trying to compare the new ones to the original trilogy. I always knew that it would be a huge mistake to compare them, and anyone who did would just be setting themselves up for big time disappointment because like I said, each set of films were made in different times, under different circumstances, and with a different set of technologies.

Quote:
The new movies are okay, but the writing, man, I really don't know what Lucas was thinking. Also, the actors are great actors in other movies; Lucas has this amazing knack for taking actors and making them so they can't act in his movies.

Yup, Lucas is a genius, a great creator with wonderful vision, but he is definitely not a very good writer unfortunately. I donít think all of the acting has been bad in the new films, but overall the chemistry that was achieved with the first films just isnít there.

Quote:
Oh, and to say that Hayden and Natalie cancel each other out...bah! Natalie is a great actress, she's beautiful and talented, but she is terrible in Star Wars!

I agree Natalie is great (and not too hard on my eyes either, lol), but Iím not so sure she is terrible, itís just that there is absolutely no chemistry between her and Hayden. They're like a couple of cold, dead fish, all of the scenes with just the two of them together are terrible (especially true in EP2)!

With all that said though, Iím very much looking forward to the next film! Iíve tried not to spoil myself so much for this one, but everything Iíve seen and read about it so far is pointing toward it being the best of the new bunch! I have very high hopes for this one; I hope it shuts all of the bashers up because Iíd like to see some redemption for Lucas!
Elf Smilie
Quote:
You seem to be a fairly intelligent person to me, and to say that the Star Wars movies are good writing and good acting compared to LOTR is just silly.

What's silly? My opinion? I was just giving my opinion, and i believe i am entitled to my own opinion. I could claim that your opinion is stupid, but i won't, as i respect your opinion. De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est : i only wish everybody would understand that. I for me, believe i am "fairly intelligent" enough to understand.

Sorry, but i'm having severe issues with the fact that ppl find ppl with opinions which differ from theirs, "stupid".

Quote:
What?! I'm so sorry Virumor, but the Star Wars movies do not blow the LOTR movies out of the water. What have you been smoking?

Sorry, but again, that is my opinion, which apparently differs from your own. Are you having issues with that? Sorry, but not everyone likes the same things you like.

Quote:

She may be a great actress, beatiful, talented, whatever, but not for everyone. Hence i wouldn't use "is" but "i think she is" when voicing an opinion. You make it sound you're talking facts.
Oh Virumor...well then, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to understand when people are giving you a hard time. Of course I know people have their own opinions! I was just offering a few jabs in your direction and expecting one of your reposts so that I could counterattack. Come on...you have to admit that the writing is better in LOTR though...come on, admit it! *nudge*nudge*wink*wink*say no more*say no more* Wink Smilie

Of course I'm talking facts...yours is only opinion. Big Laugh Smilie
Quote:
Oh Virumor...well then, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to understand when people are giving you a hard time. Of course I know people have their own opinions! I was just offering a few jabs in your direction and expecting one of your reposts so that I could counterattack. Come on...you have to admit that the writing is better in LOTR though...come on, admit it! *nudge*nudge*wink*wink*say no more*say no more*

Jabs eh? Sorry but i couldn't appreciate any jabs today, as one of my hamsters died.

Writing in LOTR better? Nope. Terrible. If the scenario had been more close to the books (which isn't the same as "equal to the books", Virginia) : yes. But with all the changes, new input and what not, i concur. And even if i look at the scenario without comparing to the books, i come to the same conclusion : crap. The in-movie storyline contains too many holes and inconsistencies; of course, almost nobody cares about that as story is not important anymore in contemporary movies and a movie is considered good if it contains good action scenes, some romantic messing around, some huge special effects and a happy end. But that doesn't apply to me.

Acting in LOTR better? Well, LOTR movies have some good actors, yes : Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, Ian Holm, Brad Dourif, Cate Blanchett (only because of that Dark Queen thingy) and Sean Bean (safe for that overdramatic Apocalypse Now - esque dying scene). But for the rest : bad, bad, bad acting. Over-reacting (especially by Viggo "break a toe or two" Mortensen and Liv "What's this? a Ranger, overreacting?" Tyler).

The original Star Wars has good actors, not? Can't really complain about anyone. Episode I and II is a different story i think : Hayden Christensen is the Orlando Bloom of SW, imo - only hired for the pretty face.

And no, i really don't think that Natalie Portman stinks in Ep 1 and 2. She knew how to hunt some drone!

The fact is, i really don't care much if the acting in Ep 1 and 2 stinks, i can enjoy that movie nonetheless. With LOTR, i can't as those movies are about my fav book. So those movies are a pain in the butt, really.

I think the kind of discussion you wanted to set in motion - about opinion and nothing else -, is just a waste of time. My opinion won't change and yours won't either as it is based not on facts, but totally on personal likings. I don't think a continous "It sucks" replied by "No it doesn't", is any discussion at all.

That reminds me of the past flamewars between the LOTR movie lovers and the few movie haters, really. And yes, i am/was such a LOTR movie hater. So pls don't shoot me.
bang!

...wait that's me shooting PJ because the movies are pitiful compared to the books, except for the FOTR, that was good, because i watched it before i read any of Tolkiens material ( i know, a HUGE mistake) but i can't go undo time so eh...
Quote:
SW also looses points with the new episodes , Lucas seems to have lost his mind

Uh...I believe that Lucas has just lost his bank-balance and is trying to cash on the Star Wars craze he had started a long, long time ago in a galaxy not at all far, far away!
See much better response, Virumor. That's what I was looking for...a little back up information to your opinion. So...if you think discussing "my opinion vs. your opinion" is a waste of time, then you think this whole website is a waste of time...and yet, you're still here. See...you do like us!

Well, the only reason I think the writing is better in LOTR is because much of it based off of the books, which are well written (in my opinion). Yes, there are holes in the movies though, I admit it. And you are right, the acting was not great throughout....especially when Viggo attempted to give the rousing speech prior to the battle before the gates of Mordor. What was that?

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars. I was still disappointed in the writing and acting of the last two movies, but alas, I still like them and wear my Jedi Training baby-tee to stand in line for them. But, you can't say that every actor in the first movies was great. Come on Mark Hamill and his power converters *said in winy voice*. But, he is still my favorite...love those blonds wielding light sabres! Smile Smilie But Lucas should have hired someone to help with the screenplays like he did in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Ah well...I will still be a fan for life. Okay...I shall await your furrowed brow for wasting more of your time now. Smile Smilie

Oh, sorry about the hamster. Sad Smilie Hope it had a happy life.
Quote:
Elstone wrote:
LOTR vs. SW, hmmm, I think it really comes down to a matter of individual taste.

I agree. As a kid I watched the movies coming to the cinema's and when they were 're-done' I went again. I really can't choose between them. Both are great and have their own mythology. For example I love the light & darkside background, in LOTR many characters are a bit in between. Does that make Star Wars one dimensional? No, not really. They fight for their choices and the battle to remain good is very hard.

Quote:
Eruwen wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars. I was still disappointed in the writing and acting of the last two movies, but alas, I still like them and wear my Jedi Training baby-tee to stand in line for them.

I liked Episode 1 a lot, especially Qui Gon Jin Smile Smilie I was disappointed by episode 2, but yeah I will go to episode 3, but then without that Jedi Training baby-tee you are mentioning above.
Quote:
Well Iíll try to keep this somewhat brief Nilgaerien because your question really is a topic of itís own (the topic nowadays for SW fans really), but since Iíve had this discussion with countless individuals, Iíll try to offer you at least my own opinion on the matter.

Thanks, Elfstone! Finally, I have some logic and sense coming into the argument. Big Smile Smilie I completely understand what you're saying and actually agree with it to an extent. Perhaps the new episodes have been such a big hit with me because I haven't compared them to the old trilogy. I do think Episode III is going to be the best out of the new ones, however. I mean, how can you have Wookiees in a bad movie?! LOL. Yep, I've got an obsession for the big walking carpets. Wink Smilie
Quote:
Rhapsody wrote: I liked Episode 1 a lot, especially Qui Gon Jin I was disappointed by episode 2, but yeah I will go to episode 3, but then without that Jedi Training baby-tee you are mentioning above.

Perhaps I should send you one Smile Smilie. Ah yes, Qui Gon Jin...*sigh*.
Episode One was cool. Episode Two MADE ME PUKE!!!!!! but Obi-wan is hot. (I have weird tastes, say my friends) EPISODE FOUR FIVE AND SIX WERE THE HOTTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're really cool. I don't really like the new episodes, you know, one, two, and probably three, not that it's come out yet. The old ones were really really really really really...... cool.

BUT TLOTR IS BETTER!!!!!!!
Quote:
Perhaps I should send you one . Ah yes, Qui Gon Jin...*sigh*.

Big Smile Smilie I always wanted a lightsaber, somehow. The first trilogy has such an awesome appeal, the second trilogy (ep 1 and ep 2) will create their own atmosphere. Although I am not so fond of Hayden Christiansen. I think Padme can do much better then that Wink Smilie

You know, all this talk about it makes me wanna pop in the trilogy (remastered and all) in de DVD player...
Star Wars used to my favorite movie of all time...Then I though LoTR beat the bottom of Star Wars, but when I really thught about how much I liked them both I couldn't decide.

Two geat movies Very Evil Smilie vs Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
Star Wars will always hold a sentimental edge from seeing them when I was younger.(I made my Mom take me to see SW in the theater about 6-7 times). However, as I got older and read LOTR, that has become my favorite. I never get sick of falling into Tolkien's world, and I always pic up something new.
Quote:
Star Wars will always hold a sentimental edge from seeing them when I was younger.(I made my Mom take me to see SW in the theater about 6-7 times). However, as I got older and read LOTR, that has become my favorite. I never get sick of falling into Tolkien's world, and I always pic up something new.

Very similar to my sentiments on a general level. Elf Smilie
DUDE LOTR would get F***ing whooped man the damn lightsabers would cut open swowrd and spears and the froce would stop anything else
Quote:
and the on screen chemistry between the characters (which most tend to find lacking in EP1 & 2) was really sort of an accident.
No it isn't. The chemisty between the actors was a big reason why they were chosen. Why couldn't he just do that in EP1 and 2 too? But it is in a way like the LOTR book and the LOTR movies. The movies doesn't have the same magic as the books, but they are still good movies. We have to seperate original LOTR from movie LOTR and original SW from new SW. Any attempt to make the episodes feel and look like the original would only come out pale and fake.

I must say I haven't seen EP1 and 2 in a while now. I hated EP 1 when I first saw it, too high expectations. It was better the second time. I did get a little tingle of excitment now when EP 3 was mentioned. Smile Smilie

What is best of LOTR and Star Wars? SW was the first universe, people and story I fell in love with. I love them in differently ways, but equally much. I can't choose.
Quote:
DUDE LOTR would get F***ing whooped man the damn lightsabers would cut open swowrd and spears and the froce would stop anything else

I think Gandalf, Obi-Wan and Yoda would be the bestest of friends there ever was if they met. Except for the technology, I think the two universes are quite compatible. Both the wizards (and elves) and the jedi use powers from within. Not to mention that Christopher Lee is a evil wizard/jedi in both places. And elven swords glows too, I am sure the jedis would feel right at home. *giggle*
Quote:
We have to seperate original LOTR from movie LOTR and original SW from new SW. Any attempt to make the episodes feel and look like the original would only come out pale and fake.

I don't really agree with that. SW ain't an adaptation of a book, but just one big story. Ep 1, 2 and 3 tell the story of what happened before the 'old' SW, so they shouldn't be separated. Making new episodes like the old ones would indeed be silly : that's the reason why Lucas made special editions of the old ones, so they at least feel a bit like the new ones. That's just the pain of making a prequel.

Imagine what will happen if PJ's hologram is gonna film the Sil in 2547!! That's going to give the same feelings to our possible grand-grand-...-children.

you are right Yoda is cool he kills people
ok since we're all about the SW vs LOTR i've got a good one!

Luke Skywalker Vs Frodo Baggins Big Smile Smilie

Yes Luke has his force powers because it's a part of him, and no Frodo doesn't get to use the ring.
Quote:
No it isn't. The chemisty between the actors was a big reason why they were chosen.

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by part of the statement I made that thing about Star Wars when it first came out was the initial success of the film, and the on screen chemistry between the characters (which most tend to find lacking in EP1 & 2) was really sort of an accident.

It is true that Lucas went through enormously painstaking measures when it came to casting the first Star Wars film. Lucas literally screened thousandís of actors for the main three roles of Han, Luke, and Leia, and was extremely selective when it came to casting those parts, but the big gamble, and the big risk was that he was specifically going after actors that were unknown.

Initially Harrison Ford wasnít even allowed to audition for SW because Lucas viewed him as already being a recognized actor. However, Harrison was a friend of Lucas through working on American Graffiti, so as a favor to Lucas, Harrison was around when the casting process was happening, but only to help in the casting process, specifically assisting other actors that were auditioning with the reading of their lines.

It was only after literally going through hundreds and hundreds of people that the light bulb went on in Lucasís head and he realized that Harrison was Han! So Lucas really did sort of luck into casting Harrison Ford as Han Solo, it was really almost an accident that he got that part. The funniest thing about all that is I think almost anybody would agree that the character of Han as portrayed by Harrison Ford is easily the most charismatic character in the entire SW franchise.

Further, even though Lucas was extremely picky about whom he cast for the main roles in SW, there was no guarantee the chemistry between the actors was going to come off the way that it did once filming actually began. Again Lucas was largely going with unknowns for the most part, and that was a huge, huge risk on his part, a serious roll of the dice, and on top of it all, when he had finally finished casting SW, the studio absolutely hated the actors he had selected for the cast, and he was severely criticized for going with unknown actors.

Even Lucas has admitted many times himself in various interviews that he basically lucked out when it came to the casting and the way everything came together because he was taking a huge gamble that could have easily gone the other way.

If anyone hasnít seen it yet, there is a great documentary included on the bonus materials disc of the SW DVD trilogy set called Empire Of Dreams where they talk about alot of the stuff Iím referring to here (even though the majority of that information has been well documented for quite sometime through various other interviews, and documentaries about SW).
Elf Smilie
Quote:
ok since we're all about the SW vs LOTR i've got a good one!

Luke Skywalker Vs Frodo Baggins

ok, now my turn in "equal rites" category:
Gaaaandaaaalf the grey vs. Oooooobi Waaaaan ;-)
and fight of the night ladies and gentlemen let's welcome:
Chuuuuubacaaaa vs. Baaaaalrrrrog ;-)

Marian
[nothing compares to LotR]
If this don't start a war I'm gonna shave my entire body. Actually, I think I'll do that anyway! If this don't start a war I'll...............throw my old PC at a passing hyundai!

Early on, someone said that whichever you were exposed to first seems to be everyone's favorite.
I saw SW before I saw the Fellowship movie. (Which I couldn't understand because of a busted surround sound system, so I started to read the books.) When I read the LOTR, I realized It was one step above SW. (Probably because SW is just a twist on LOTR! Switch from fantasy to sci-fi and you get LOTR Into SW! THAT"S WHY SW MAKES SO MUCH MONEY!)
Quote:
(Probably because SW is just a twist on LOTR! Switch from fantasy to sci-fi and you get LOTR Into SW! THAT"S WHY SW MAKES SO MUCH MONEY!)
I think I agree, they are both major quests and have a wizard type as well as a hero. SW makes so much money because the movie came out first to draw in the fans for the later movies, the spinoff books, and all the toys. SW has had thirty some years to make their multi-millions. I don't know if LOTR has or will match that, for the movies haven't been around that long, but the marketing was just as gross; and the books have been around for fifty some years.
I like LOTR better but that's only because it didn't have all the extra bits that SW has. The first SW movies were very good, but the rest, in my opinion, degenerated.
And while we're at it, how about Sauron vs Darth Vader? Or the Emperor vs Morgoth?
Quote:
ok, now my turn in "equal rites" category:
Gaaaandaaaalf the grey vs. Oooooobi Waaaaan ;-)
and fight of the night ladies and gentlemen let's welcome:
Chuuuuubacaaaa vs. Baaaaalrrrrog ;-)

oh common Melian, you don't think Frodo vs Luke is a fair fight! :p Either do i, but it'd be funny to watch! Seriously though Chubaca would get stomped by the Balrog, hands down, no contest. As for Sauron vs Vadar, once again no competition Sauron all the way.
I enjoy both star wars and the lord of the rings. However, i have to say that lotr is still the favorite. the new star wars are not all that amazing, especially compared to the detail and time that peter jackson put into lotr. Star wars does have some good parts in the plot, but even George Lucas said that he didn't enjoy dong the first three episodes as much as the others. they're classic movies, but i don't really think the new episodes compare to lotr. when i watch star wars, i feel almost like george lucas just threw something together in order to clear up parts of the other movies that didn't make sense, instead of spending the time to really plan out the story lines. Peter Jackson knew what he wanted, and knew what to include, leaving a seamless storyline. LOTR is still better than star wars, however the last three star wars were better than the new episodes!
  [1] [2] >>