Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: LOTR vs. Star Wars

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > LOTR vs. Star Wars   << [1] [2]
Just an added thought, although both are excellent, LOTR and middle earth DID happen and ST is something that is going to happen. Very Mad Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie

Night night, time for bed for Maydmarion in the UK as I'm up at 7am Sleeping Smilie

Quote:
Just an added thought, although both are excellent, LOTR and middle earth DID happen and ST is something that is going to happen.

Not at all, Maydmarion.

A long time, in a galaxy far away, remember ? It might even have happened before LOTR.

(:-P
It is a question of trilogies here... The last (chronologically) 3 movies of Star Wars at least tie with LOTR, because they are classics and just amazing movies. But the most recent Star Wars films leave something to be desired, and LOTR clearly beats them out. Still, they are all wonderful movies.

Exploding Head Smilie
Grondy stated in another thread:
Quote:
He doesn't, he gives little known ones a chance to become greater ones, or not. The only actor known as 'great' before he was used in the Star Wars Epic, was already over-the-hill and wasn't receiving many, if any film offers. Only one actor became great after appearing in Star Wars and he was known to have been too tempermental in his earlier years. Oh, and of Lucas's early movie little known actors, one did later star in a long running TV series and he became a quite good movie director. If you need the names of these three ask.

Grondy, I'm talking about in the prequels (the sequels are another story...those actors actually make their lines work!). Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Natalie Portman, etc. I know they can all act, but in the prequels...ugh! Yes, I like the movies, but the acting does leave something to be desired. I even thought Hayden Christensen was pretty good in Life as a House. Anyway...that's it.
I reckon that Star-wars is a bit more of a 'chill-out' film that I like in phases (like when I watched Episode III yesterday) whereas the Lord of the Rings takes a bit more digesting and is more of an 'edge of the seat' film. But overall the Lord of the Rings is one level higher in amazing awesome greatness. But that's just my opinion...
A slightly off-topic post but it is about Star Wars (more or less). This made me laugh...

Store Wars

... and I ended up humming the Star Wars theme all morning at work.

There is a world of difference between LOTR and SW. LOTR was built up over long years of thought, philological experiment, and theological discussion. SW was of shorter gestation, based (as I believe Lucas admitted) on the old movie serials like Flash Gordon. With Tolkien, good and evil are absolutes, and evil must be destroyed. That is the point of the quest. Whereas with Lucas, everyone has or can have a "dark side." According to his philosophical underpinning, the power to resist this darkness does not come from Elbereth (or anyone Above) but from the Force, a product of nature. This puts LOTR and SW firmly on two completely disparate planes of thought. They are indeed both enjoyable stories, and they both have many surface similarities. But the reality is quite different.
Wow! Hey Vee I saw that yesterday as well. I don't actually necessarily believe that whole 'Organic Rebellion' thing, but it is hilarious.
I saw SW: Episode III this afternoon and other than being subjected to a visual overload in the battle scenes, I liked it, especially the ending which brought us back to the beginning if Episode IV.
Iíve been wondering what the colour of the laser swords means. Iíve only seen ep. I & II up to now (Iíll go to watch ep. III together with a friend in a few days, then IV to VI will follow Smile Smilie) and I havenít been able to figure that out yet. the red swords are the ones of the sith, if Iím right so far. but who of the jedi gets a green, blue, violet one? can someone help me? please???
Well (ashamed as I am to be knowing about star-wars on an LOTR site) the colour of the light-sabre depends upon the crystals that they make it out of. They have to go to a special place and as part of their aprenticeship they construct a lightsabre.
so is there any meaning? can they choose the colour or does it show their grade in the jedi society or is it just to make the whole thing more colourful?

and there's no need to feel ashamed... I guess you're not the only warsie round here... *warsie-warsie-nanananananaaaaa* Orc Grinning Smilie
The colour doesn't have any meaning : it's either blue or green. But in the first episodes, suddenly Mace Windu came up with a purple one. And for that, Mr Sidious zapped him down to his doom.
It's my understanding from a friend who's a SW fanatic that, while I can't answer the blue/green/yellow question, the answer to the violet question is: Samuel L. Jackson because he insisted on it, and without having seen Episode III it's also my understanding that he insisted on not going out like a punk stabbed in the back or something. It's a shame Lucas doesn't share the same sense of the importance of meaning in spectacle.

Chiming in my two cents, as movies, I prefer the first three SW films (the last three, at least the first two of them, since I haven't seen III, were very thin on plot, IMHO, and I'm too old to enjoy Bad Action Movie Theatre as anything but camp.) Of course, it doesn't help that I'd read LoTR nine times before I ever saw the movie (in addition to an AP English free response essay on it that got me a perfect score; guess LoTR IS "a work of recognized literary merit," though I was a little worried at the time.) To be honest, I almost walked out of RotK when Frodo SENT SAM HOME! (you don't just turn around and go home from Mordor, and Frodo would NEVER have done that anyway.) I'm still a little upset that Jackson got the really hard part (the atmosphere) right and got the really easy part (the story that had been written already for him) wrong. See my intro for what I think of all the blonde Elves. As books I can't think of ANY fiction that tops LoTR, though The Wheel of Time comes close to equalling it at times, and I concur with the others assessment of the Zahn SW books, which I quite enjoyed. So I guess what I'm saying is something really controversial 'cos it's apples and oranges: The LoTR books surpass SW in any and all forms, but when I watch the SW films I don't sit there listing all the things the director got wrong or out and out ruined, so they're the better films, at least for me.
Quote:
To be honest, I almost walked out of RotK when Frodo SENT SAM HOME! (you don't just turn around and go home from Mordor, and Frodo would NEVER have done that anyway.)

I think the best thing would've been after seeing FOTR, to not bother ever seeing TTT and ROTK... Arwen saving Frodo and hence degrading Frodo's heroic stand-off vs the NazgŻl, Aragorn sending Frodo away, Thťoden being literally possessed by Saruman, etc etc are all as bad as Sam being dumped by Frodo.

But alas, too late!

Quote:
As books I can't think of ANY fiction that tops LoTR, though The Wheel of Time comes close to equalling it at times

For me, the works of Guy Gavriel Kay and the Earthsea series come close to LOTR; as for the WOT : the first 3 books have the same feeling, but after that i think there's a downward spiral towards cheesiness and fluffiness... however, that does not mean that they're not enjoyable.
And as for you, Ithil Tongue Smilie. About Samuel L Jackson... he must reaaaaly like purple because in an interview of him he is wearing a purple sun hat! It looks....goofy (no offence intended)
Samuel L Jackson likes Deep Purple.
Quote:
And as for you, Ithil Tongue Smilie .

Na-na-na-na-na Smilie Na-na-na-na-na Smilie *hops around stupidly* yeah, maybe I'm a bit of a warsie - what does it matter? Orc Grinning Smilie

by the way, thanks for all the information!
and as I'm just so busy asking questions: what's that famous jedi sentence in english: may the force be with you?
I like LOTR better than Star Wars, partly because I read LOTR first and mostly because I like the medievil kind of books. I had something else I wanted to say but I can't remember it right now, I hate it when this happens.
Hah, i remember now, I saw the trailer for Peter Jackson's new movie King kong, it looks like a pretty cool movie, but I'll have to wait all the way to December to see it.
I wonder if PJ will have Kong feed Fay Raye to the dinosaur or just sqush her to a bloody pulp?
To each his own, I suppose; I didn't really get into to WoT until The Dragon Reborn, and personally think it peaks around The Shadow Rising or (more likely) The Fires of Heaven. I guess what it boils down to is I didn't really appreciate the characters fully until they started growing up from necessity (since we've all seen the "It's a big world outside the Shire" thing before.) I did like how The Dragon Reborn ended though. I just hope you know who figures out he HAS to use balefire on Forsaken or not even bother. The end of the last book did come out of the blue on me, while I have to admit the last minute switch was an asinine idea no decent tactician would ever suggest, but remember it was all Egwenes idea (I'm trying to be really careful not to spoil for those who haven't read what I think is a great series, if you have the time for books that make Tolkien seem terse.).

I have to admit that Irima-Arwen also has a point I completely ignored; I've largely been off SF ever since the Trilogy (and when I use that word with caps, there's only one I mean.)
Quote:
To each his own, I suppose; I didn't really get into to WoT until The Dragon Reborn, and personally think it peaks around The Shadow Rising or (more likely) The Fires of Heaven. I guess what it boils down to is I didn't really appreciate the characters fully until they started growing up from necessity (since we've all seen the "It's a big world outside the Shire" thing before.) I did like how The Dragon Reborn ended though. I just hope you know who figures out he HAS to use balefire on Forsaken or not even bother. The end of the last book did come out of the blue on me, while I have to admit the last minute switch was an asinine idea no decent tactician would ever suggest, but remember it was all Egwenes idea (I'm trying to be really careful not to spoil for those who haven't read what I think is a great series, if you have the time for books that make Tolkien seem terse.).

Tsk tsk ! i have only read the first 7... still 659 to go ! I am finished with the series until my library decides on ordering book 8 and after... which is the reason i switched to Goodkind.

Anyway, seems llke you're really into the WOT, eh ?
Ya think? And yet, which site am I at? One never forgets their first love. I think (hope) I managed to dodge giving anything away; I guess you'll have to tell me when you get there. Like most of us, I imagine, Tolkien was my first introduction to fantasy and made me foolishly expect other offerings in the genre to be similarly good (little did i know at the time that Professor Tolkien was the Oxford Chair of English whose translation of Sir Gawain I would read for class in HS and that most others are pulp fiction hacks.) Thus, for years I wandered around in search of something that didn't exist (though David Eddings is pretty good, even if one of his main characters bears a striking resemblance to a wizard we all know well.) WoT comes very, very close, enough so that I'm content with it if Jordan didn't spend so @#$#@%! long coming out with each book (the wait between Lord of Chaos and A Crown of Swords was interminable, but I've heard rumours of a nervous breakdown or something in between.) Some would it say it drags at times (there was a Mat Cuathon drought that nearly drove me nuts,) but that allows an opportunity for the rich character development that is one of the most challenging tasks of an author, yet Jordan seems to carry off effortlessly. Put it this way: if I ever get around to stopping by the Khazad-dum Inn it'll be "Dance With Jak O' the Shadows" fer sure.
My brother-in-law is very "into" WoT, and he is afraid that the author is going to die before he finishes the series. Do you have this same fear, Morambar? (Oh wait...or is the series finished already? I've never read it so I don't know where it stands. Elf Smilie )
Hey you know, now that Revenge of the Sith is out, everyone's going crazy over Star Wars again.... My dad was one of the many fans wearing Jedi costumes to the theatre Big Laugh Smilie I've never read the books, don't think I want to either, they do have an effect of spoiling the movies...
  << [1] [2]