Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Do you like Tom Bombadil?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Green Dragon > Do you like Tom Bombadil?   
Tom Bombadil is one of my favorite characters. Happy Elf Smiliei like his songs.... Orc Grinning Smilie

i had an errand there: gathering water-lilies,
green leaves and lilies white to please my pretty lady,
the last ere year's end to keep them from the winter
to flower by her pretty feet till the snows are melted.
Each and year at summer's end I go to find them for her,
in a wide pool, deep and clear,far down Withywindle;
there they open first in spring and there they linger latest,
By that pool long ago i found the River-daughter,
fair young Goldberry sitting in the rushes.
Sweet was her singing then,and her heart was beating!

Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
There are many poems or songs that Tom sings or is in that I like.
Hey Grondy if you have some you could post them? Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie i would like to see......if anyone have Tom's songs could post them here....... Orc Grinning Smilie or some about Goldberry.......
Please DO NOT POST THE full POEMS/SONGS/STORIES, there are copywrites attached. We have had trouble with the Tolkien estate's Lawyers before, we don't need more of that. Orc Sad Smilie

A small taste, perhaps, and what book they are from are ok. One book which has them is the last one on this list: http://www.planet-tolkien.com/modules/tolkien/works.php

I bought a book called "Tales from the perilous realm" which had
Farmer Giles of Ham,
Leaf by niggle,
The adventures of Tom Bombadil and
Smith of Wooton major.
Happy Elf Smilie
The adventures of Tom Bombadil is about 16 of Tolkien's poems, with a couple of the long ones being about our favorite Tom Bomb. The other three stories are also excellent: two are faery tales and the third Leaf by Niggle, is a nice morality story. Wiggle Smilie
hey Grondy seems you know a lot........Do you know the names of those fairy tales? and are there poetry books of Tom?......if i have a chance to see Tom and Goldberry....... Orc Grinning Smilie
My above post was a clarification of Amarië's post where she listed four titles contained in one volume. My post listed two of them and the other two are the faery tales. You can also get them all, except Smith of Wooton Major in The Tolkien Reader.
wow great,thanks Amarie(sorry for the dots.how did you put those dots Grondy?)and Grondy. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
thanks Amarie(sorry for the dots.how did you put those dots Grondy?)

See To Make Tolkien's Letters which I built today so everyone can find then easier than if I just posted it here.
that's good Grondy.everyone can see.it's very useful... Elf With a Big Grin Smilie how did you find those? thanks Grondy. he he he!Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Amarië what you think?
Quote:
Amarië what you think?

Looks great! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Just to note it, the 'dots' (diaeresis) are not really necessary. Amarie sounds the same without 'em. Long vowels should properly be represented however (with an acute accent for example, if there's a long vowel in a word or name).
Quote:
Looks great!

mm i think Amarië is so happy that because we are writing her name.. correctly.....he he he!
Orc Grinning Smilie
Quote:
Amarie sounds the same without 'em.

Yes, if you speak Sindarin/Quenya/Scandinavian/*insert language*

I don't mind people writing my 'name' without the dots. I have a Norwegian keyboard and don't have to use the alt codes, so it is easy for me. But Tolkien wrote it Amarië, and my nick is the elven name Amarië from the Sil, not the French name Amarie (which I assume is pronounced Amari). So I use the dots to help people get my 'name' right. Wink Smilie

But you can also call me Ama. Elf Winking Smilie
yeah Galin also right but i think it would be really nice if we could use those dots.....and Grondy have also posted the key codes........as a Tolkien club it's great to use his language. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
The Quenya words mára 'good' and márie 'goodness' are attested with long vowels, as is namárie (which contains márie). The name Amárie might have a related derivation, though I can't remember if Tolkien himself ever explained this name specifically.

In any case, at all occurrences in The History of Middle-Earth the name has a long vowel: Amárie. I don't know why it appears with a short vowel in the 1977 Silmarillion (in my early editions at least).

Oh... and yes I like Tom Bombadil Smile Smilie
he he he!Orc Grinning Smilie it seems you know Quenya a lot.... how?........ Orc Smiling Smilie somehow nice to see that you like Tom.....Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow that's why i like him.. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
it seems you know Quenya a lot.... how?........

If you mean me, not really; though I might know some things about Elvish maybe, I'm very far from an expert in any of Tolkien's invented languages. I have been reading about them for years now, including the presentations of the Editorial Team who are currently publishing material given to them by Christopher Tolkien. I'm especially interested in names of places and people.

For one example only, today there are nearly fifty issues of the linguistic journal Vinyar Tengwar, some issues of which contain previously unpublished Tolkien-written material. I read certain discussions on line too (plus a couple private correspondences here and there).
yep, Orc Grinning Smilie wow great i also like to know Elvish .....that's what i am in the class of PT. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie i think Amarië is going to do something special.....we have to wait for it....he he he Orc Grinning Smilie
Quote:
The name Amárie might have a related derivation, though I can't remember if Tolkien himself ever explained this name specifically.

I don't think he has. It might mean 'good' and that's fine with me. Smile Smilie My real name means 'war'. Wink Smilie

Quote:
I don't know why it appears with a short vowel in the 1977 Silmarillion

I don't know the reasoning behind Chris' choises. But if I remember correctly from the Quenya classes we used to have, then the stress in a four syllable word is always on the second syllable.
A-ma-ri-e. So there shouldn't be a need to write Amárie.
Quote:
I don't know the reasoning behind Chris' choises. But if I remember correctly from the Quenya classes we used to have, then the stress in a four syllable word is always on the second syllable. A-ma-ri-e. So there shouldn't be a need to write Amárie.

I would guess maybe this was a mistake (not necessarily CJRT's) but I'm not sure in any case. I wonder if later editions have the same spelling.

Anyway, long vowels should be marked and are also noted when writing in the tengwar. Stress is a different matter, but the primary stress in the four syllable example elentári is elentAri because the penult, or second to last syllable, contains a long vowel (one example from Return of the King).

The primary stress in Amárie is amArie, that's true, but that's because the penult is short.
Quote:
The primary stress in Amárie is amArie, that's true, but that's because the penult is short.

*looks up penult* Aha!

Yes, I shouldn't have used always. I should have said that the stress is on the second syllable, unless it is show to be somewhere else. As it is in elentári (thank you for using a word I knew btw. Wink Smilie ) This is *very* simplified of course, so that Quenya newbies like me would get a base to build on. Sadly I have forgotten all the other rules, except that Teleri rhymes with celery. That still hurts my ears.

I think I will copy the Quenya part of this discussion to the Elvish section.

And so I did: How to say/write (this word):
I like Tom and also he makes me want to run screaming down the road. with his hey rolldee fol jazz. It gets on my last nerve! But he is a tower of strength and fearless, which I greatly admire. I love his love for that beautiful wife of his, theirs is a love affair to remember. And just the way he seems to know everything about everything and yet not worry a tiny bit about bad news, well that is wonderful. I especially hate the color of his boots. But after all he does live in a very lush and green place. So, yes I do like Tom Bombadil. I wonder what Priscillas doll Tom actually looked like?
Hi Leelee! I've missed you here! I've finally had more time to spend here myself Smile Smilie

Who is Pricilla?

I've been thinking about Mr. Tom in the last few days while searching for questions for Barad-Dur and I read that the Maiar are very numerous; they include the wizards but there are many more and I think Tom must be one of them. My humble opinion anyway. And I agree with you about the irritating aspects of the gent!
I have been thinking about our friend Tom the last while and honestly I wish I liked the poems and the way Tom says them, but I don't. I think the only poem period that I liked that JRR wrote was the one attributed I think to Bilbo Baggins of the Shire, the old familiar the dish ran away with the spoon thingy. I am particular of the sort of poetry that touches my heart and I find Tom's way of expressing things so very annoying. (yes yes I can just hear all of you booing at me and throwing something with vigour my direction.) I think I can pin it down a little better by saying that I think Tom himself is pretty marvellous. He seems afraid of absultely nothing , is always joyful and confident and who would not wish to emulate that? and the fact that the ring has no effect whatsoever, nor does Tom seem the least curious or fascinated by it, well that is nothing short of astounding and miraculous. So, in view of these amazing traits I feel he should not sing so juvenile a ditty.
I can agree. it would have been nice to have him be more a part of the story with his immunity to the power of the Ring; he could have been an advisor to Gandalf or something like that. But I guess it would have been out of character, he seems to be more interested in nature, an earth-child, sort of.. I think of him as someone to learn from, apart from his songs of course!
I like Tom's Character but I can't say the same thing about his songs/poems. Nowadays when I read the LOTR book I skip his poems and songs except the rhyme he taught to Frodo in case he needed help.

So do I Thorin. But I like to think that perhaps, because it was because of little Priscilla , Jrr's only daughter, that Tom has that sort of way about him. After all, Priscilla herself asked daddy to write about her doll that she herself named Tom Bombadil and so he did. All that fol de rollying and hey hoeing probably made his dear little girl laugh and think it silly and funny. So...........oh well.

I wonder though, if Goldberry ever got tired of listening to it, after all she was regal and intelligent and well, who knows.

And hello to you too dearest Sian, I have missed you very much. I think about you so often. Hope things are great.

I have been thinking and thinking and thinking and I cannot begin to think of a suitable actor to play the part of Tom Bombadil. He would have to have a strange build in a way and I think his eyes would have to be amazing, so uinque and enchanting that one look would imprint those orbs deeply into anyone's memory.

If you'd meet Tom Bombadil, you would either be quite speechless, or then you would just agree with him, go under a nearby tree, and eat some roasted mushrooms and sing ol' and good travelling songs with him through the long and dark night. And at the sight of morning sun, you would just say:

'Oh geez, what a night, I didn't sleep at all..' Smile Smilie

So, thumbs up for Tom Bombadil.

I like the fact of missing information about his origin and purpose. The mystery around him is just the fact I love most about him. Also I like the way he is dealing with the everyday life, taking care for the woods and all, not changing. It is so "divine" if you ask me.

I think Tom Bombadil could look like "Hargrid" (from J.K.Roling's "Harry Potter" books movie adaptation). A little more neat in clothing perhaps. Neh, on second thought maybe not... I can not make my mind about that neither. Another wonderful thing about T.B.- you know, so indefinite and yet so close.

Tom is great; he's one of the best of Tolkien's characters, I think.  If I might be allowed a small correction - the Dutch doll called Tom Bombadil didn't belong to Priscilla; nor did she ask JRR to write a poem about him. The name comes from one of the  stories which Tolkien told to his children, but did'nt write down, some time in the 20s, before Prisca. was born.

The doll belonged to Michael. John apparently took a dislike to the doll, and pushed him down the lavatory. Thankfully, he was rescued without too much damage.

The term 'Dutch doll'  refers to the style of the doll; having jointed wooden arms and legs.

As for Tom - he made his first appearance in the Oxford Magazine in 1934, well before LotR was published. Tolkien was fond of Tom - he published a book of poems in 1962 called 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil', which includes two poems about Tom, and a nice piece in the introduction about his relationships with the hobbits of Buckland - Tolkien says his name is Bucklandish in origin.

I like Tom, and his singing. But, as Ursula le Guin noted in a paper, Tom's whole mode of speech is rhythmic; meant to be read aloud. The best way to appreciate this is to hear it read by Rob Inglis on the LotR tapes. Bombadil is ancient; he doesn't conform to anything else we know. And he is Master - when he says 'Whoa!' to Frodo and Sam, they stop suddenly as if struck. When B. says 'Show me the precious ring', Frodo does so instantly. Look out for that next time you read; everyone and everything does as he says; but no-where do we get the idea that he's forcing anyone - he is Master, and in his realm everything does as he says.

Except the lintips. These little creatures appear in a third Bombadil poem; only ever printed in two obscure books during the 60s, now long out of print. Bombadil seems quite taken with them.

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow. Tolkien liked him; that's the reason he's in so many of Tolkien's books. But Tolkien isn't giving very much away about Tom - he once wrote that Tom is an enigma - intentionally.

So sorry Sian dear, Priscilla was and is Tolkien's only daughter. Her dolly was named Tom Bombadil and she asked daddy to write a story about him.

It was from the book Amarie mentioned that I first fell in love with the works of JRR Tolkien. I was in the library waiting for someone I think, and I pulled out the book. I read Leaf by Niggle and was enchanted. But it was when I read Smith of Wooten Major that I felt I had fallen into faerie land. I clearly remember

looking up from the book at one point and all around me seemed mist, unreal, the only reality being that story and the persons in it. I had tears in my eyes and it was a truly profound moment. The LOTR came later.

Has everybody read The Adventures of Tom Bomabil?....Fascinating information......The fact that Tom & Goldberry were married...(There had been some controversy over this..) ; the fact that Tom regularly visited the Shire, and was a good friend of Farmer Maggott...they often enjoyed a pint of Ale...actually this connection between Tom & Maggott was hinted at in LOTR , i think.....

Also the slightly alarming information that when Tom arrive din the shire, some hobbits shot arrows at him ???!!!.....I guess they could not really have hurt him...lol...

I've read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

I'm quite interested in the remarks made before the poetry too. Tolkien here plays again with the notion of the 'found book' (the Red Book or its copies) and internal sources.