Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Harry Potter

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Harry Potter   << [1] [2] [3] >>
Quote:

And I like your poems too btw, I really do.

*reaching out for #1ElijahLovers hand*

you do? thanx so much! you are really nice!!! Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
Quote:
i have heard religon is banded from this site so i will no longer contiue. i am shuting up.Paranoid Smilie

i do not mean hers[JKR]. i mean mine. and thanx for appologizing, i accept. Wink Smilie and they are just whitch craft and about it and all but i cannot start a disscussion about this whithout bringing up God, Christ, And the Bible. even so i have no wish of my own to read them.

I think it is a dreadful shame that you allow your beliefs to stop you even giving these books a chance, back in the '60s people made the same claims against Tolkien, despite his being a devout christian. And to be fair, the magic and "witchcraft" as you call it aspect, is much the same. It is a book free of religious doctrine, same as Lotr, and should not infringe upon your beliefs.As I already said, I think it's awful that you refuse to read something in case it upsets your beliefs. I for one am famously an atheist, but I have read both the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, a whole bunch of books on Zen and even the book of Mormon in my thirst for knowledge, surely you can give them a chance and not just blindly refuse to read them? Literature is literature, it's not about religion, just good stories, and decent morals (if you're lucky)
Okay, I don't think that was too religious was it? No, good, well I hope you take my advice #1Elijahlover, as it is a pity people so often dismiss things out of hand without giving them a chance.
Quote:
even so i have no wish of my own to read them.

it is true. HP does not what so ever intrest me. a boy going to a school to learn how to become a wizard. i see no entertainment in this. besides i feel that it is a little below me in a way. Wink Smilie as in to childish.I am at a stage were i need to read about "girls going thourgh what i am going thourgh". not a boy trying to become a wizard and all. i need more than this at this age.i have no really good reason for not reading it except i have no intrist in it and i feel that i should not. i know what an uproar this will cause and every were i go it does. but until i can find a good answer to your satisfaction plastic squrril & everyone who agrees i might as well say nothing else cause what i have said already will be thrown in my face. Paranoid Smilie
Do I hear the cry of someone wallowing in their martyrdom? Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Probably not, just someone frustrated that they can't read about Harry's friend Hermione, who is the smartest person in his class and while trying to keep Harry out of trouble, she also becomes involved in the conspiracy to thwart the evil doers in the series. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
I get really angry when people like Plastic say Harry Potter are **** y books...well, I just want to see someone try to get close to what it has acomlished.

Not that Plastic needs anyone to stick up for him, but I know he likes, and reads the HP books (as heís stated in this thread, and elsewhere). I think you might have confused him with someone else accidentally Anilster.
Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
Is the word crap automatically moderated???? C....R....A....P!
Yup, just like with Moby Dick, Herman Melville's novel about Captain Ahab and the great white whale. And in elementary school I learned to read from Dick and Jane
Quote:
See Spot run.

Oh Jane, see Spot run.

Funny, funny Spot.
Ridiculous isn't it, now the euphemisms have taken over and are crowding out their legitimate usage, while some of the older euphemisms have become so commonplace that they are no longer shunned by polite society.
Quote:
Do I hear the cry of someone wallowing in their martyrdom? Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Probably not, just someone frustrated that they can't read about Harry's friend Hermione, who is the smartest person in his class and while trying to keep Harry out of trouble, she also becomes involved in the conspiracy to thwart the evil doers in the series. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

i have to say goodbye to all here for i have no reason to stay. i will not come back for any reason. i am a huge pout and so i am leaving. i hope everyone else enjoys their hp conversation more than i did and enjoy not having me around to be annoeying.with all my pettie reasons why i dont like it. i had thought i found a home site. well you proved me wrong. bye.i can only say goodbye to andrea, i hope you find some one else to talk too
Sad Smilie I'm sorry if I ran #1ElijahLover off. Sad Smilie

I'll email her requesting that she reconsider and suggest she just skip reading this thread, as its topic disturbs her. She still should be able to enjoy discussing things Tolkien in our other threads.

Later... Email sent.

[Edited on 13/7/2003 by Grondmaster]
Oh well, win some lose some. It's sad to lose you #1EL, or anyone else who decides to leave because they don't agree with other people's opinions, but the whole point of a site like this is to air your own views and listen to other people's.

As a Council we attempt to keep arguments civil and friendly, essentially an exchange of opinions. From what I can see here, this thread has followed those guidelines.

One way of learning and expanding your knowledge is to listen to other people's opinions. If you do not agree with those opinions, fair enough. As long as no one is forcing them down your throat, making you agree with them under duress etc, there is no problem. If you disagree, and have a good argument why you disagree, the option is there for you to raise your own opinions and counter-arguments.

The right is there for you to raise your opinions, but there is no right to force others to agree with you, any more than they can force you to agree with them. This concept is the basis of the Freedom of Speech. Okay, sadly, there are still many people in this world who for what ever reason are not allowed the benefits of Freedom of Speech, but I will not go there as such censureship and mindwashing makes me angry.

All's I will say, #1EJ, is that it's sad to see you go under such circumstances. No one is forcing you to read HP, although from what I read earlier in your posts, it seems someone is discouraging you from doing so, by spreading falsehoods about JKR. I hope when you are older, and hopefully less influenced by such negative propaganda, you are able to make better informed decisions about what you want to read, and why.
From what I have read of HP (I have read the first four two times through) I would say even trying to compare it with LotR is just silly. They are on different levels and different realms of fantasy (I think). And I must say that children running muttering incantations of witchcraft is rather scary to me. And the books just keep getting creepier. The reason I read them twice is simply because they are good stories, with pretty good characters. JKR is an awesome postAuthorID, but I wish her talent could be put to better use than making a series about witchcraft--a topic so controversial in today's world.

I have heard several arguments that LotR has 'witchcraft' in it too. I must argue that there is a difference in Gandalf's magic and Harry's witchcraft. Gandalf is a servant of the Secret Fire, sent from Eru into ME to guide the world. Harry is a 11 year old kid sent to a school of wizardry to learn how do witchcraft. I personally can't see a similarity.

The source of the magic in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books does not come from an evil entity; it comes from within the non-muggles and is neither good nor evil in itself, it is neutral. That they have this inate ability to use magic does not make them bad, it is how they use this magic, that makes them good or evil. They can use it for good utilitarian purposes or evilly to harm others and the environment..

The individual excersizing his free will is what decides whether they are good or evil, the magic has nothing to do with it, it is a neutral tool, just like technology. Approximately ten times more people are killed in automobile accidents in the USA yearly than by gunfire. Guns and automobiles are not themselves evil and they don't kill people, people kill people. Cloning should be outlawed because of the unintended consequences, but someone is bound to open this scary Pandora's box. It is not the tool that is evil, it is the evil use to which it is put.

The Harry Potter books are about how the good magic users are trying to protect both the muggles and the themselves from the machinations of the evil maguic users. These books are just another type of morality play.

I better quit now and this will probably get deleted tomorrow as some of it will probably be deemed political, if not just controvercial.

Good night all. Sleeping Smilie Fast Asleep Smilie
Quote:

Not that Plastic needs anyone to stick up for him, but I know he likes, and reads the HP books (as heís stated in this thread, and elsewhere). I think you might have confused him with someone else accidentally Anilster.
Happy Elf Smilie

Thanks Elfy, you have saved me the trouble of sticking up for myself. Very kind.

As to the "witchcraft" thing, Witch is not used as a term as it was back in Salem, for these books, it merely delineates the males from the females, nobody seems to object to the wizardry in the books do they?

To me, it's really no different than Professor X's Mutant academy, in the X-Men comic books, which I don't think have ever been branded as evil or creepy. Super-Heroes, Mutants or Witches and Wizards, I see no difference, it's just fantasy, and certainly not evil.

Even so, it's a shame #1EL was unable to continue the conversation, and even more so that she has left the site, as I felt she was making a valid contribution here, and certainly sparked off a good conversation.
Quote:
Oh, and by the way, I love your new Avatar Elfstone!!

Thanks Anilorak! I really didn't think people would really know who, or what it was, unless they had previously seen the whole image it's taken from, but I've been getting quite a few compliments on it, and it's nice that other people like it too!
Happy Elf Smilie
I think the following article is a level-headed discussion of our magic problem. It is long, but refers to LotR and Harry Potter films, books, and video games as well as a bunch of rougher stuff. My favorite paragraph from it is:
Quote:
Others within the Christian fold may have been similarly convinced of the reality of evil and of supernatural powers, yet they remained unconvinced that a fictional film could influence peoples' beliefs and practices. "As far as the book being a kiddie manual for witchcraft," wrote one youth minister from Australia, "I suspect that we'll see about as many serious attempts from kids to get into witchcraft as we saw attempts from kids to fly around England on giant peaches in the seventies. Kids actually understand imagination."
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/127/52.0.html
Quote:
That is such BS, it's not even funny. I just can't believe that educated people like them cannot see a great work of fiction literature...

...Poor them...

Yes, itís truly sad Anilorak. Itís too bad that people like that try to make a mountain out of a molehill, an unfortunate byproduct of these so called ďpolitically correctĒ times we live in. Now a days you just canít say or do anything without making somebody or some group mad. It really is unfortunate that people like that canít see how much good those books are actually doing.

The HP books are perhaps the best thing to come along on a world wide level in a long time because theyíre getting so many people to read, and more importantly getting young people to enjoy the act of reading. As Iíve said before one of the major problems (at least in my country) is that not enough people read anymore. Itís funny that some people try to make these books into something bad, when theyíre achieving the exact opposite; theyíre actually helping society as a whole.

Without saying too much more, because I want to stay away from the fine line, I myself was raised a Christian, and I believe in God, and even though I havenít read the HP books, I have absolutely no problem with the concept, or content of the books whatsoever. I see the positive value in these books, and I recognize the fact that these books have a valuable inherent worth to society. I can respect the choices of others if they donít like, or want to read these books, but to try and make them into something they're not is ridiculous, these are childrenís books for crying out loud!

Unfortunately, in some cases, youíre going to find that sometimes the most educated people become the biggest fools. They become so blinded by their own extreme idealism, that they lose the ability to find the truth that lies somewhere in between!
Elf Smilie
Thought that it was about time I posted my opinion here. I have just finished reading book 2 (Chamber of Secrets) of the HP series. I felt that as a writer, it was about time I found out what all the fuss was about. Wink Smilie

Now, as a writer, I am an extremely critical reader. Unless a book is pretty darn good, I won't read it. I have read Rowling's first two books with pleasure. They are no great works of literary genius - but they don't need to be. They are a lot of fun and brilliantly imaginative.

One of the great positives of the HP phenomenon is that it gets people to read for pleasure, even people who do not normally like reading. This is a gift that should not be undervalued. Could Shakespeare or any of the 'classic' writers achieve the same thing? I find it dificult to imagine hundreds strong queues of children and adults waiting to purchase a newly-released, previously-unread novel by Dickens.

As to the issue of whether witchcraft is evil or not, I think that it comes back to secondary belief. It is one of those concepts that some people cannot seem to quite grasp. I personally liken it to meditation - some poeple just can't do it for some reason. Similarly, there are some adults (never seems to be children) who cannot accept secondary belief - to believe in something (like magic) that would normally be impossible in the real world, for the sake of the novel.

We know that wichcraft is not real. So do children. So why do we need to feel threatened by it?

I think that Rowling's books are very moral books. She draws clear distinctions between what is right (sometimes doing what is right can be agianst established conventions) and wrong, and she emphasises the importance of personal choice. As Grondy said earlier, it is our choices that make us good or bad, not who we are or where we came from.

Rowling also adresses other imporant issues like the importance of friendship and love, the importance of family, not judging poeple by their appearance or reputation and that what is most important is to be a good person.

I for one am a new-made Potter fan! Wink Smilie
Oops. Time for a bit of Thread-CPR. Wink Smilie

EEeeeek! Help! I think that I am falling in love with Snape, and I have only read the first two books! Super Scared Smilie

Quote:
Oops. Time for a bit of Thread-CPR. Wink Smilie

EEeeeek! Help! I think that I am falling in love with Snape, and I have only read the first two books! Super Scared Smilie
Yes, that seems to be true to form: the ladies seem to fall for the rogues and ignore the good guys for their being too tame; then they wonder why everything turns into tears in the end. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
you should read the 5th book, where it shows Snape for who he really is, you really feel sorry for him.
Yes this is true! I understand him now. It's great to see as Harry grows older and learns more, understands more and more secrets come out, the other caracters get deaper and more complex, not just one-dimentional as they have been. Even Petunia shows signs of having feelings!

I like how the books grow with Harry and the reader. As the reader wait for the next book, he/she, Harry, the story and the darkness grows and matures. Even if a kid is young when he read the first book, it will take him some time to get to the end of the 4th book, where things REALLY start to get scary, and then he might have grown enough in the mean time to deal with it.

I love Snape too! Or his actor that is. I think the actor playing him in the movie is really great (didn't bother to look up his name though Wink Smilie ). I love to see him on the screen. He was a good Spock too. Wink Smilie
Quote:
I love Snape too! Or his actor that is. I think the actor playing him in the movie is really great (didn't bother to look up his name though Wink Smilie ). I love to see him on the screen. He was a good Spock too. Wink Smilie
Dr. Spock or Science Officer Spock? I didn't think Leonard Nimoy was in the Harry Potter films, Alan Rickman played Snape in those. Or did he also replace Leonard Nimoy in the newer Star Trek movies? Happy Elf Smilie
Snape is one of my favorite characters. He was so cool. They could have made him a little more flattering in the movies though.......
You should see some fanart of Snape....makes him look better.
OotP was good.....except that Siri-
*coughs* hem hem uh, anyway. I cried everytime Sirius's name was mentioned after he-
*coughs* hem hem
anyway.I swear. I was friekin bawling my eyes out. it was sad. Well, me crying that is. And I liked Umbridge, until she said something about Peeves leaving, or something....Then I got mad. And I was reeeeeaaaaaallllly peeved when Dumbledore intercepted with Voldemort killing pitiful Harry. I was literally chanting for Voldemort. "Kill him, kill him." Then Stupid old Dumbledore came in and fu-
*coughs* hem hem
Sry.
Ok, thats all I have to say.

I still like the Prisoner of Azkaban better.
Quote:
Quote:
Dr. Spock or Science Officer Spock? I didn't think Leonard Nimoy was in the Harry Potter films, Alan Rickman played Snape in those. Or did he also replace Leonard Nimoy in the newer Star Trek movies? Happy Elf Smilie

Alan Rickman played the Spock-type character in the Movie Galaxy Quest, and d@mn funny he was too. I believe that that was the intended reference anyway.
Quote:
i have to say goodbye to all here for i have no reason to stay. i will not come back for any reason. i am a huge pout and so i am leaving. i hope everyone else enjoys their hp conversation more than i did and enjoy not having me around to be annoeying.with all my pettie reasons why i dont like it. i had thought i found a home site. well you proved me wrong. bye.i can only say goodbye to andrea, i hope you find some one else to talk too

Huh? That was odd, but all well, whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink your ship. Bye #1ElijahLover!
What on earth was I saying? I didn't mean Leonard Nimoy, must have had a brain melt-down of some kind, or it's just been to long since I saw Star trek.. Oh well... they are both serious caracters with no smiling. Wink Smilie
Oh my! I just sat down and this thread all the way through. There have definitely been some interesting discussions here. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on HP and LOTR. I did not agree with everything said, but it was still quite interesting.
Quote:
I for one am famously an atheist, but I have read both the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, a whole bunch of books on Zen and even the book of Mormon in my thirst for knowledge
Plastic, I agree, I think it is important to read anything and everything in ones thirst for knowledge. I have not read completly the Koran or the book of Mormon, but I have at least tried. I did find them quite interesting and will attempt to finish them some day. I know Matthew has read several on Zen as well as the others. We may disagree in our beliefs but we do have some great discussions. I believe reading is the most important thing a person can do.
Quote:
Literature is literature, it's not about religion, just good stories, and decent morals (if you're lucky)
I agree with that as well. It is up to each individual to find what is interesting to them, and hopefully discover decent morals in every day life as well as in literature.

I am sorry that #1EL left us. I was very shocked when I discovered that. I have not been able to be around much this summer and was very disappointed to see her leave.

Well, it looks like I have gotten off on a soapbox. I apologize. Hopefully, I did not go too far with the beliefs. Sorry, if I did, I will come back and correct any mistakes and edit anything later. It is 3 am now, so I am going to bed. I hope this actually makes some kind of since.

Mellie
I just sent #1EL an email asking her to come back. I told her that I had not been around much this summer and when I returned that I was disappointed that she had left and hoped she would return.

I hope she will.

[Edited on 9/9/2003 by MelliotSandybanks]
Erm Melly? #1EL did come back, as EvithianEthmire, a while ago. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier....
Hmm.. you make a great point. I thought of the wormtoung thing too even though ones name is wormtalil. I think the name means traitor or something like that. Both wormtoung and wormtail are like that
U can see what I think abot HP & co. at the forum ' Similarities b/w Harry Potter and LOTR at The Prancing Pony, Which Grondy moved to the end of this thread on 18/10/2003.

[Edited on 18/10/2003 by Grondmaster]
Yes, I read the 5th Harry Potter book. Wasn't as good as it was hyped to be but yes the climax was excellent.

SPOILER ALERT IN SOME OF THE POSTS BELOW

Sad for Sirius. He was the only character I liked.

Tell u what, I think That Sirius will return from Sirius the "Black" to Sirius the "White".

[Edited on 8/10/2003 by Grondmaster]

[Edited on 9/10/2003 by lord_aragorn86]
SPOILER ALERT!

Maybe we should have added a spoiler warning on this tread? I'm very conserned about spoilers as you might have noticed.Wink Smilie I hate spiolers, they really do spoil the experence of reading/seeing it for yourself. I was told when I had just started the book that Sirius was going to die, and that was the biggest happening in the book, except for the prophesy perhaps.
Quote:
Tell u what, I think That Sirius will return from Sirius the "Black" to Sirius the "White
He'll have to go trough the state of Sirius "Grey" first. Epecially as Dumbledore "White" is still around. Wink Smilie

It seems dead (or what ever he is) Sirius can protect Harry better than the live one, as death no longer scares Harry because then he'd be with Sirius again. Live Sirius couldn't have saved Harry from Voldermort. It suddenly reminded me of Star Wars where Obi-Wan gets himself killed to better help Luke, although he did it on purpose and Sirius didn't.

[Redigert den 9/10/2003 av AmariŽ]
Well,now I know that Sirius dies.
SPOILER ALERT!

Quote:
Well,now I know that Sirius dies.
This is why I wanted a spoiler warning.. This happens all the time. Sad Smilie

[Redigert den 9/10/2003 av AmariŽ]
Moderator Smilie Please, when you give away secrets in movies or books you spoil the fun for those who have not yet had the opportunity to encounter them on their own.

If you feel you must give the secrets away, please add 'SPOILER ALERT' at the beginning so people can choose to stop reading before they encounter the secret info.

Thank you,

Grondmaster, on behalf of the Council Moderator Smilie
SPOILER ALERT!!

I m sorry ppl for the spoiler. As u have noticed I have removed the spoiler from my post. (I m really sorry LadyFeawen)

I think u r right Amarie bout Sirius. But by "white" i meant not the colour but Sirius being a ghost. Ghosts r described to be pearly white(unlike my teeth) . Big Smile Smilie

[Edited on 14/10/2003 by lord_aragorn86]
lord_aragorn86 Happy Elf Smilie posted on 30/9/2003 at 17:48 Similarities b/w Harry Potter & LOTR under The Prancing Pony Tavern
Quote:
I have been wanting 2 bring this subject up forth for many days. All the ppl who have read the Harry Potter books, Don't u feel that it is somewhat similar in parts to LOTR? My obvs r as follows:

a) The plot in Philosopher's stone is similar to LOTR. Both have an evil spirit who wanted to take over the world bt were destroyed a long time ago. They both now require a certain thing which will bring them back to bodily form and make them invincible. But both's plans r thwarted by "little" ppl which was unforeseen and unexpected by the wise.

b) Also, the dementers r very similar to the Nazgul. Both invoke fear in ppl near them, wear black cloaks, have no proper body as such etc. etc.

I don't know how the response will be, if favorable I will write more such similarities observed by me. Smile Smilie

[Edited on 1/10/2003 by lord_aragorn86]
Stonehelm posted on 30/9/2003 at 18:15
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you could see that. But I think that you can see bits ofTolkien in just about all fantasy books that are out there. It is kind of like most sci-fi books have traces of Star Wars or Star Trek in them.
Andrea Elf With a Big Grin Smilie posted on 30/9/2003 at 19:47
Quote:
Hi lord_aragorn86! Waving Hello Smilie
My first thread ever was on the same topic, the similarites between HP and LoTR.
http://www.planet-tolkien.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewthread&postThreadID=1105#pid

[Edited on 9/30/2003 by Andrea]
Grondmaster Moderator Smilie posted on 30/9/2003 at 23:59
Quote:
Hey Peoples Happy Elf Smilie For some reason we can't link internally to P-T Forum threads, so Just give the titles and subtitles to the P-T thread that you want to reference, like this thread is Similarities b/w Harry Potter & LOTR under The Prancing Pony Tavern.
Arcormacolindůva posted on 1/10/2003 at 00:57
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you could see that. But I think that you can see bits ofTolkien in just about all fantasy books that are out there. It is kind of like most sci-fi books have traces of Star Wars or Star Trek in them.
On a side topic, I thought this quote was funny because George Lucas said he was inspired to create Star Wars by Tolkien's LotR. Big Laugh Smilie So Tolkien indirectly added to sci-fi as well. Tongue Smilie
PlasticSquirrel posted on 1/10/2003 at 10:33
Quote:
Man, you can argue that anything is like anything else if you try hard enough, especially in SF/Fantasy. Everything since Tolkien has been pretty close to the bone, and you can find the stuff he ripped off as well if you look. Go on, have a go, it's fun.
LadyFeawen posted on 2/10/2003 at 01:59
Quote:
The lady that wrote the Harry Potter trilogy said that she was inspired by Tolkien's LoTRs,that could have something to do with the similarities,ect.
Lol Plastic,I agree with you on that Happy Elf Smilie
Wooffy_Elendil posted on 12/10/2003 at 03:11
Quote:
Yea. there are wizards adventures, triumph and all taht stuff.
lord_aragorn86 Happy Elf Smilie posted on 17/10/2003 at 07:18
Quote:
This is my plea to the Concil members.

Will u plz Move the posts from here to the Harry Potter Forum thread and destroy this one? This will allow me to post postBodys only on one thread on the concerned subject.

Thank you.
Grondmaster has just moved them here at the end of this thread.
Thank you Grondmaster for taking the trouble. Thank you! Wink Smilie
Your welcome. It took a while to cut and paste, but was well worth the effort. Cool Elf Smilie
I was wondering if anyone could tell me of a good Harry Potter site, suitable for adults? All of the ones I googled seem to be for children.

I refuse to be on forum probation! Angry Elf Smilie So Angry Smilie
You give up far to easily Ally, helpfull as I am I did a search for "Harry Potter for grownups", and I found just that. Wink Smilie

"Welcome to Harry Potter for Grownups, a friendly, thought-provoking place for adults to enjoy discussion of the Harry Potter books. Come on in and join the fun!" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HPforGrownups/

But it's on yahoo and I didn't bother to sign up to see what it was about.

Also the people here http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ are adults and have a connction the above link. No forums though.
HARRY POTTER FOR ADULTS!!!! ARE YOU PPL CRAZY AND OUTTA UR MINDS??!!!

I don't think so Aragorn,I feel the same way and am quite releived that there is a website that doesn't have witches following my cursor or anything. Wink Smilie
Quote:
Probably, but were in good company. While I haven't bothered looking for a siteóI spend too much time hereóthat doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the HP books; I also listen to them on tape and just this week started relistening to the first book as a falling to sleep bedtime story.
Thanks, Amarie!
No problem Ally. You made me curious, so I had to find out. Wink Smilie
Quote:

Well, some people don't think so. This is kinda old news but people from Scholastic who sells the HP books in the US made a new campaign to get adults to buy the books - by making adverts for adults. And no, it's nothing 'dirty' or anything like that, just some pictures of people who are least likely to read the books and some captions. You can check it out at this website :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/world/newsid_3140000/3140024.stm
I've noticed many differences between Tolkien and Rowling too. Like Dumbledore and Gandalf for example and Shelob and Aragog. Sometimes I really think that Rowling copied Tolkien. Take the dementors and the nazgul. But I think that Tolkien's work is much better and Rowling could never top him.
Hi Morwen, welcome to PT! Waving Hello Smilie
There's a lot of things I think she "copied" from Tolkien too, and now after a year or so, I think she only did it for the money. Tolkien wrote from his heart, he had no publisher breathing down his neck or fans to please. Like you said, she can neer top him, but if it keeps people (even me I admit) amused and gets kids to read, then I see nothing too bad about it
Quote:
I think she only did it for the money

Well, if given the opportunity to do that, would you say no? Wink Smilie
Quote:
I think she only did it for the money. Tolkien wrote from his heart, he had no publisher breathing down his neck or fans to please.

First I want to say that I love Tolkiens world a lot more than I love Rowlings world, but I just have to say this, someone had to defend the poor girl!

Rowling wrote it from her heart too! She had written the last chapter of the last book long before she got anything published. She had the idea of seven books and seven school years when she lived in a cold flat with her baby daughter. She used to sit in the diner, the only warm place where she could sit and write, barely able to buy one cup of coffie so they would let her sit there. She went without food for days so she could feed her daughter and put a roof over her head. She couldn't afford to pay someone to look after her, so she wrote while her daughter sleapt and till she fell asleep herself in the evening.

She has lots of boxes with notes and drawings and stuff she has come up with about her caracters, places and things that might happen, which we will never see. Unless someone does a Christopher Tolkien and publish it. She herself has said that there will be seven books about HP and that's that.

Tolkien used several years on the trillogy, don't you think his fans where eager to find out what happens next? Don't you think if they had the possebility of complaining in chat rooms, post in forums and e-mail him and the publisher a hundred times a day, that they would have done just that? Do you think HIS publishers wasn't breating down HIS neck to get him to finish?! Don't you think Tolkien liked getting money?!

Rowling loves her caracters, she's been carrying then around for years. She even cried when she worte the chapter where umm.. the-person-who-dies-in-book-5 dies, 'cause she felt like she had killed a friend.

I makes me mad as when I see how you all treat Tolkien as a flawless saint and trash Rowling because some things look like something Tolkien wrote. I know this is a site for Tolkien-worshiping but open your eyes folks! Tolkien stole from everywhere and everything! We don't known all the myths and legends he knew, so we can't say "well that is taken from the legends of this-and-that for sure" when we read his works, but if Rowling adds a nice, longbearded wizard we all go "Oh she stole that from Tolkien, how dare she!!". Gandalfs name "wand-elf" is from "VolusspŚ", a norse poem, his appearences is from the finish "Kalevala" which he liked so much, where there is a wise sjaman with magical powers known for his long, wavy beard.

He is no saint, and I'm quite sure he'd get mad if he heard anyone thinking he was.

Oh yes, and does these names from one of Tolkiens favorite languages sound familiar?
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/wel.html

Tolkien is one of a kind, but so is Rowling!
  << [1] [2] [3] >>