Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Great Middle Earth Resource

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Great Middle Earth Resource   
Hi HobbitHomie05,
Welcome to the PT forums.
I am assuming that you are referring to Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle Earth. I have seen the book and was so impressed that I have ordered it. As a matter of fact, I just called the supplier to find out why it is taking so long to get it here. Hopefully, Monday......
Yeah, that's a great book. I have had my copy for a while. It has EVERYTHING in it, people,places, things, ect. I have used it quite a bit to look up someone or an unknown word.

And welcome HobbitHomie05!
man thanks for the welcome you guys here at PT are so friendly!!!!!!! I'm glad you like the book as much as me!!!!!! guess what they even have neekerbreekers in there!!!! ya no those things at the midgewater marshes that were given there name by sam!!!! wow i was amazed!!!! this robert foster guy must be a J.R.R. Tolkien expert!!!! Tongue Smilie Wink Smilie Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Smoke Smilie Cool Smilie Big Laugh Smilie
I've had the Foster book about twenty years now, but mine's becoming so dog-eared, I'm soon going to have to get another copy. It's the first source of information I go to when I need to find something out, after which I am able to use the references to go further. Recently I bought the Complete Tolkien Companion by J. Tyler as well. This latter book I find useful because it covers material from UT and HOME, which unfortunately Foster's guide doesn't.
Quote:
this robert foster guy must be a J.R.R. Tolkien expert!!!
He is even quoted by Christopher Tolkien in the notes of UT

From UT page 284
Quote:
On the basis of this record Mr Robert Foster says in the Complete Guide to Middle Earth that.....
I haven't yet bought The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, but I often turn to The Encyclopedia of Arda http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/ which can be downloaded as well as viewed online.
Big Smile Smilie Cool, Grondmaster!! I'll have to check that out!!! Cool Smilie And Valedhelgwath, I'll have to see if I can find that anywhere!!! Wink Smilie If anyone else has some great Tolkien resources post them here!!!