Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Yup, you have earned another pretty bauble Ringfacwen. Happy Elf Smilie

Which of Faramir's Rangers asked for permission to shoot Gollum Question Smilie
Anborn.

In Aman what would Feanor call Curufin?
In Hawaii and in the guise of Charlie Chan, Honorable Fëanor would call him 'Number Five Son'. Big Laugh Smilie

But I suppose in Aman and according to HOME it was something else. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Yes, Anborn was the Ranger's name, so Findekano gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where were Merry and Pippin laid to rest Question Smilie
In Rath Dinen, in Gondor.
Just out of curiosity......how tall did Meriadoc 'The Magnificient' Brandybuck and Peregrin I 'Ernil i Pheriannath' Took get anyway???
Samwisegamgee has the right answer so she gets another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

I think the two hobbits were four foot six inches tall, but can't remember where I found that info. They were only hobbits to surpass in height Bullroarer Took, who stood four foot five inches tall in his stockingless feet: quite a bit higher upon the back of a horse. That comparison can be found in the Prologue to FotR. Happy Elf Smilie

In what battle did Glaurung lead the Orcs to victory over the Noldor, breaking the Siege of Angband Question Smilie
In the battle of unnumberd [U]tyrs[/U] (the thing what drops ou off oure eye when we cry ;-) )???????????????
Bey then
You mean tears Nessa?
No Nessa, it wasn't the Fifth Battle (Unnumbered Tears) of Beleriand. Good guess though. Happy Elf Smilie
Dagor Dagorath is the answer to your question Grond.

The answer to my question is Feanor would have called Curufin. KURVO.

The statement to the quote on the heights of Merry+Pippin are found in the prologue to LoTr under 'of Hobbits' i think.
Quote:
Dagor Dagorath is the answer to your question Grond.
Thumbs Down Smilie Not close, so no cigar. Happy Elf Smilie

Dagor Dagorath, the 'Battle to End all Battles' (my interpetation) will not be fought until the End times of Middle-earth. Teacher Smilie

The answer I'm looking for is one of the Five Battles of Beleriand, but not the Unnumbered Tears, which was the Fifth Batttle.

Quote:
The statement to the quote on the heights of Merry+Pippin are found in the prologue to LoTr under 'of Hobbits' i think.
Yes, that is where Tolkien gives Bullroarer's height as five foot five inches and says Merry and Pippin were the only two hobbits to surpass him, but doesn't actually go on to say by how much they surpassed him, at least not the way I read it.
Quote:
In what battle did Glaurung lead the Orcs to victory over the Noldor, breaking the Siege of Angband Question Smilie

Glaurung the Golden, the first and greatest of all the Uruloki (fire-breathing dragons), and also called the Father of dragons, led those fowl, slimy, filthy, low down, dirty, rotten Orcs to victory over my beloved Noldor in the Dagor Bragollach (The Battle of Sudden Flame)!
Teacher Smilie
You've got it Elfstone; a Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie It was also the Fourth Battle of Beleriand.

What were the last words written by Ori in the record of Balin's people Question Smilie
'They are coming.'
Samwisegamgee gets the pretty bauble this time for her correct answer.Happy Elf Smilie

How was Muzgash the Orc killed Question Smilie
Correct Ringfacwen, while trying to make his escape from the Tower of Cirith Ungol during the Battle of the Mithril Shirt. To you goes the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose lullaby, said Bilbo, 'would waken a drunken goblin'Question Smilie
The lullaby of the Elves of Rivendell. To which they replied: "And your snores would waken a stone dragon - yet we thank you". Very Big Grin Smilie

It's from the last chapter of the Hobbit. Big Smile Smilie
Tommie gets the pretty bauble this time for the right answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Tolkien initially study at Oxford Question Smilie
The map of the campus, so's he could find his room. Wink Smilie
Quote:
What did Tolkien initially study at Oxford
at first he studyed: Classics, Old English, the Germanic languages (especially Gothic), Welsh and Finnish, until 1913,.[>> my answer ;-) ] But after a disappointing second class degree in Honour Moderations, the "midway" stage of a 4-year Oxford "Greats" (i.e. Classics) course, s he changed his school from Classics to the more congenial English Language and Literature.

I think this is the answere to your question?
Bey

[Editiert am 17/6/2003 von Nessa]

[Editiert am 17/6/2003 von Nessa]
Nessa has the right answer and a shiney new Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were Illuin and Ormal Question Smilie
I believe they were the two lamps that lit the island where the Valar lived in Arda.
Correct again Samwisegamgee, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the GonnhirrimQuestion Smilie
You got it Ringfacwen, also the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who founded Lórien Question Smilie
Which one?

The gardens of Lorien in Aman were founded by the Vala Lorien. (duh!)
If you mean Lothlorien in Middle-Earth, I don't know, and will guess at Celeborn and Galadriel.
Happy Elf Smilie Okay Peredhil, you can have a Pseudo-Silmaril for the one in Aman; however, I wanted the one founded in Middle-earth, which was later known as Lothlórien.

And no, it wasn't founded by Celeborn and Galadriel; they were 'Johnny come latelys'. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I can't remember exactly but wasn't Lorien founded by the people of Amroth and/or Nimrodel? I think it was a combination but I'm hesitant to say.
Yes Uruk_slayer, what I was looking for was 'Nandorian Elves' those Elves that refused to cross the Misty Mountains on the Great Journey from Cuivienen. Amroth purported to be the King of Lorien (before he ran off after Nimrodel) was the leader of one of group of these that founded Lorian. So you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

When and where did who say, 'Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!' Question Smilie
Gimli, at Helm's Deep.
Peredhil has got the answer and a shiny new bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Beorn warn Thorin's Company against drinking from the stream in Mirkwood Question Smilie
Or even dream of a feast while the rest of the company is working their hind ends off packing you around and becoming hungrier by the day. Ringfacwen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril.

What was the likely origin of Saruman's nickname Question Smilie
Is 'sharku' a Mongolian word that means...cunning, or old man? I know that 'sharku' was Orcish for old man...
I don't know about the Mongolian word Samwisegamgee, but the Orcish word bit is correct. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the two chief ports of Falas Question Smilie
Keerect Perwing, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who ruled the remnant of the Noldor that stayed in Valinor Question Smilie
Quote:
'Finarfin,' the old man repeated, as if recalling from an old memory a long disused word. 'Yes, that was the name. I was Finarfin.'
Oops! Right guy, wrong setting. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Ringfacwen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
The face of ............. was ageless. neither old or young, though in it was written the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful.
Who is described here Question Smilie
I know this one Grondy.

Elrond. from the chapter Many Meetings in the Fellowship of the Ring.
You got it Mellie and so you also get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the first King of Rohan Question Smilie
Ringfacwen has the correct answer and a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose emblem was represented by a winged sun Question Smilie
I believe that would be Finwe, or the House of Finwe if you will.
Elf Smilie
Correct Elfstone, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In what likeness was the ship of Celeborn and Galadriel fashoned Question Smilie
It looked like a swan, if that's what you mean.
Swan was the key ingredient, so Tommi gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What major character in The Silmarillion was inspired by a fragment of the Crist of Cynewulf Question Smilie
The major character in The Silmarillion inspired by that poem was Earendil!

Quote:
While at Oxford, one of the poems Tolkien discovered in the course of his Old English studies was the "Crist of Cynewulf." It included the cryptic couplet: "Eálá Earendel engla beorhtast / Ofer middangeard monnum sended" or "Hail Earendel brightest of angels, over Middle Earth sent to men." ("Middangeard" was a ancient expression for the everyday world between Heaven above and Hell below.)

Teacher Smilie
There you go again Elfstone, take a Pseudo-Silmaril as you leave and return when you can. Happy Elf Smilie

Of which river was the Andurant a tributary Question Smilie
Too obvious guess, I guess, but could it be the Anduin? Animated Wink Smilie
Nope
River Gelion, is the correct answer I believe, that is, if I spelled it correctly.
*whacks herself* Yes of course. I think you might be very likely right there, Mellie. Big Smile Smilie
Mellie gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for her correctly spelled answer. Happy Elf Smilie

:elfembar: Oops! I was about to ask "What was Chuenya?", but I couldn't find the answer of it anywhere but in my quiz book, so I made a website search and found neither could anyone else the last time I asked it. Google didn't recognize it either.

Therefore: What did Frodo fancy he saw in the darkness of Moria Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>