Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Bilbo, of course! He was the smallest, was holed up in the tower/hill with the Elvenking, and had his ring on.

By the way, the Tower of Orthanc, in addition to all that has been mentioned, was like obsidian (good comparison Grondy!) since it was a smooth, black rock.
Bilbo also connected with an errantly thrown stone while he was wearing the ring and was knocked out even if he wasn't its target. But you get the Pseudo-Silmaril for your correct answer, Uruk_slayer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who helped Tolkien by drawing an elaborate map of Middle-earth Question Smilie
Was it Guy Kay? That's just a guess.
No clue at all; just a guess since I have no time to look it up. His son, Christopher Tolkien? I doubt that, but I remember something about the two of them working on maps from The Treason of Isengard.
Yep, it was his son Christopher who drew the original map of Middle-earth that was the basis of all those that have come after, so Arcormacolindóva gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How were the Teleri mainly armed at the Kinslaying Question Smilie
With bows and arrows.....they did not stand a chance against the Noldors swords....so they are now Dead Smilie hehehe
Correct Aulė, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did the Elves of Nargothrond not slay Beren Question Smilie
Because he held the hand of his father Barahir, which had gotten a ring from Felagund as a token of debt, up high?
That's it Aulė, you get another prety bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

During Gollum's stay in the Misty Mountains, of what did his diet mainly compriseQuestion Smilie
Fisshes?
Correct: Fisshes and on those special occasions when he was able fresh orc flesh. Dead Smilie Yuck! Exploding Head Smilie

Arcormacolindóva gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to Fornost after it was abandoned Question Smilie
Deadman's Dike. Orc Grinning Smilie
Hey Tommie! Welcome back. Let me guess: You must be in Ghent? And you have the correct answer as well as another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened when the great thrush knocked on the stoneQuestion Smilie
The door appeared in the side of the mountain and the dwarfs and Bilbo were able to use their key to enter the dwelling of Smaug by the back entrance. But I don't have my book with me, and I am too lazy to look it up. I am sure there was some excitement and not exactually sure what was said when everyone realized the the door had appeared. I do remember it had to do with the setting of the sun on a certain evening when the trhush knocked on the stone 3 times or something like that.
The last light of the setting sun on Durin's Day revealed a key hole. You had all the words except "Durin's Day," so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril Mellie. Happy Elf Smilie

In the lore of Living Creatures, hawk was the swiftest and swan the whitest. What was the coldestQuestion Smilie
I believe that was the serpent Grondy Happy Elf Smilie
Correct Celebrian, have a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Roughly, how long did Bilbo's journey to the Lonely Mountain and back take Question Smilie
A year?
Yup, just over a year. Aulė gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were Mr. and Mrs. Tolman Cotton Jr.Question Smilie
Good question, I don't know! I think it's Young Tom, brother to Rose Cotton (Sam's wife) and one of either Pippin or Merry's daughters.
You got half of it Hruk_slayer. Can any one come up with the other half and why I found it interesting?
Grondy, I think I figured it out.

Samwise Gamgee married Rose Cotton. Tolman Cotton Jr.'s Sister. Who married Sam's sister Marigold. Is that the connection you are looking for? Brother and sister married a brother and sister from another family?

That is it Mellie, you get the Pretty Bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Not only that, Marigold and Tolman were the younger siblings of Sam and Rosie respectively. I noticed this particular bit of info when I was unsucessfully trying to find the name of Sam's mother. For Hobbits to be so engrossed with their geneology, I thought it interesting that she was omited from the Table in Appendix C. Since then I discovered it is only their long-fathers that held their interest, not their mothers. So Tolkien has turned the hobbits into chauvanists too. I will start a new topic on this elsewhere under General Discussion.

How did Treebeard illuminate the inside of Wellinghall Question Smilie
Quote:
How did Treebeard illuminate the inside of Wellinghall?

Quote:
Treebeard lifted two great vessels and stood them on the table. They seemed to be filled with water; but he held his hands over them, immediately they began to glow, one with a golden and the other with a rich green light; and the blending of the two lights lit the bay, as if the sun of summer was shining through a roof of leaves.

Elf Smilie
Elfstone has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where was the Last Homely HouseQuestion Smilie
In Rivendell master Grondy!
Correct your godliness, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was cast over the Caragdūr in Gondolin, at Turgon's command Question Smilie
That my dear Grondy......was the Dark Elve Eöl, who had tossed his javelin with a poisoned tip at Maeglin his son so that they should both die, but Aredhel Ar-Feiniel(The White Lady of the Noldor) threw herself in front of Maeglin and she got it and died later that night so that Turgon would show no mercy towards Eöl and he tossed him off the precipice of Caragdūr...........Eöl was also the elf who made Beleg“s sword: Anglachel which was later named by Tśrin Turambar: Gurthang!

Was I right Grondy? Smoke Smilie
I'm afraid you are Aule. I only say "I'm afraid" because you beat me to it. Animated Wink Smilie
Quote:
Was I right Grondy?
Aye, that you were. You get the pretty bauble this time. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name the two Towers of the Teeth Question Smilie
Carchost and Narchost. I hate it when I can't remember how to spell something. I had the Nar and Car, could not remember any of the rest of it. I had to look them up. I feel like a complet idiot
lol

Mellie
Well you were wrong, no matter what they say, you aren't an idiot; however, you are the owner of another Pseudo-Silmaril.

On how many levels was Minas Tirith built Question Smilie
Seven.
Peredhil has the correct answer and a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Irmo and Estė live, and why did the Valar often come there Question Smilie
They lived in the Gardens of Lórien, and the other Valar went there to do Vala stuff.
Well you got the place name right Peredhil, but they often visited there after doing a bunch of Vala stuff, can you think why.
Was it to see Nienna?
Don't think so. After putting in a great period of time working their various jobs, they were very tired, all they had to look forward to at home was more work.
They went there to rest. I'll still give the Pseudo-Silmaril to Peredhil. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Ulmo command Turgon to leave arms and a sword in his house in Nevrast Question Smilie
So that when the time comes and Gondolin will be in danger.....Ulmo will send a postBodyr using those equipments so that Turgon might recognize him as the messenger from Ulmo......and that messenger was Tuor.....which I thought was funny that Huor said in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad to Turgon: Out of your house and my house will a new star of hope be lit(note that I don“t quote it since I do not have it with me and might be wrong in the sentence but the postBody is the same still)
And that hope was Eärendil!Big Smile Smilie
Right Grondy?
Probably Aulė, but I don't have that Huor bit readily available either, however, when Tuor donned that armor and sword
Quote:
... and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be the father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be,... - Unfinished Tales, Part One, Section I
And of course Tuor later became the father of Eärendil, who was the father of Elros Tar-Minyatar, the first King of Nśmenor.

Anyway, Aulė gets the Pseudo-Silmaril because Turgon recognized Tuor as the messenger from Ulmo because he was wearing those arms. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Legolas's preferred weapon Question Smilie
Well that's easy, it's a bow! Wink Smilie
Don“t forget his daggers AndreaWink Smilie I bet Grondy is a little bit tricky about this one......he is very very sneakyBig Laugh Smilie
Naw, no tricksinesses! I wanted another easy one because some of the last ones have been harder. Andrea
gets the Pretty Bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The bow was all I was after. It was Legolas's weapon of choice, because not wearing armor, he would rather stand off and fire at the enemy from a distance. That way he could keep his good looks from being degraded by any scars which occur when entities wielding sharp blades take a dislike to one.

What name was given to the Eldar who were 'not of Aman' Question Smilie
The Moriquendi my dear GrondmasterWink Smilie
Well Aulė, I was looking for the Śmanyar but as they were a subset along with the Avari that made up the Moriquendi, I'll give you the Pseudo-Silmaril. The Moriquendi were those of the Eldar who never saw the light before the sun and the moon, in other words they who never saw the light of the two trees.

This of course depends on whether the Eldar pertains to the name given by Oromė to all Elves, or as it was later used to only include those who set out on the westward march from Cuiviénen, and to exclude the Avari.

Who sang:
Quote:
Cold be hand and heart and bone,
And cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till Sun fails and the Moon is dead.
Question Smilie
The Barrow Wight?
Uruk_slayer gets the pretty bauble for his answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the last Kingdom of the Noldor to fall to Morgoth's legions Question Smilie
Eregion was it not? or was it Eriador? I can“t remember the name
Nope.

Hint: F.A.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>