Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Correct again Bugyfeanor. As this is your third Pseudo-Silmaril in a row, might I suggest that you wait after reading this for 24 hours before you answer the next one, in order to give the others a chance at it. Please. Happy Elf Smilie

What would probably have prevented Glaurung from destroying Nargothrond Question Smilie
A nice big pile of gold and jewels far away from Nargothrond which Glaurung could steal and obsess about!

Wadda ya mean that's not the answer you where looking for? Jiiz! I'm sure it would have worked though. Wink Smilie
Quote:
A nice big pile of gold and jewels far away from Nargothrond which Glaurung could steal and obsess about!

Wadda ya mean that's not the answer you where looking for? Jiiz! I'm sure it would have worked though. Wink Smilie
Yes, even though that is not the answer for which I was looking, it would have worked, for a while. However, paying tribute just like paying a blackmailer is a never ending task; they always come back for more and sooner or later the coffers run dry and when you can no longer pay, they come to take their pound of flesh.

So the answer I want concerns something the Elves could have done to keep the Dragon, maybe not away from their door, but at least from entering their door.

Remember, Glaurung had no wings; he was a creepy-crawler wyrm, not a flier.
But now you gave it away to easily Grondy....you know with the wing stuff.....he couldn´t have entered Nargothrond and sacked it without the help of Túrin his nemesis....since Túrin made the elves create a big solid stonebridge....Glaurung could just walk over to the front door......they did not have time to destroy the solid bridge eitherTongue Smilie
oh well...the answer is the bridge!
Destroy the bridge is the answer. You get the pretty bauble Aulë. Happy Elf Smilie

Which Noldo invented the first writing system Question Smilie
OMG, sorry for this one, Grondy: I just can't help it, it's too much to bear! That's FEANOR!!!

*runs and hides in a dark corner, hoping he won't be caught*
For shame Bugyfeanor, you should run and hide your head, because it wasn't Feanor, nor ever Aulë. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

*hiding his head*

I'm so ashamed, oh, Master of the Grond! I shall eagerly wait to see the right answer!

Namarie!
I am not sure.....But I thought it was the Sindarin elf Daeron who devised the original runes....but that Fëanor "perfected" it! And I could surely have done it but I didn´t want to spoil those little brats with the best kind of writing.....so they had to come up with one themselvesTongue Smilie hehehe

But Grondy I don´t get it what you mean about a Noldo being the one that first made them....it clearly states that Daeron devised the runes.....
Oh well...correct me if I´m wrong!
Was it Rúmil of Valinor?
(Exscuse me if I am wrong,not very good at this.)
Dear lord she may be right.....I recognize that name....but Daeron made the first practical runes....it states so in the books.....so Grondy you should´ve asked which Noldo was the first of his kind to make those stuffs...well that´s my opinion....ciao
Daeron was only the devisor of the Cirth (runes), however, the answer can be found at the end of the first paragraph in Chapter 6 to The Silmarillion entited 'Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor'
Quote:
... Then it was that the Noldor first bethought them of letters, and Rúmil of Tirion was the name of the loremaster who first achieved fitting signs for the recording of speech and song, some for graving upon metal or in stone, others for drawing with brush or with pen.
So LadyFeawen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Tom Bombadil carrying when Frodo and Sam found him Question Smilie

[Edited on 28/10/2003 by Grondmaster]
Why he was carrying water lilies for his wife,I do believe.
(Love this part of the book,silly hobbits!) Big Smile Smilie
That'll teach the silly hobbits to take naps 'tween lunches! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Yes Lady Fea, Tom was carrying home water lilies as a present for Goldberry. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How many gates blocked the mighty ravine of Orfalch Echor Question Smilie
Seven gates! Sorry if I'm a bit fast!

Namarie!

P.S.: I realised too late my mistake about the first deviser of a writing system; of course it was Rumil of Tirion, silly me!
Bugyfeanor gets another pretty bauble for "seven gates". Happy Elf Smilie

Who lived mostly on cream and honey?

(And no, I won't accept Winnie the Pooh!) Elk Grinning Smilie
Would that be Beorn?
Yup, the old cuddly bear, Beornis the answer, so Stonehelm gets the Pseudo-Silmaril.

At whose bidding did Tuor seek out Gondolin Question Smilie
That would be Ulmo, I believe.
I think Peredhil got it right but I am going to say Turgon and wish on my lucky star that I am right. Smile Smilie
Nah Feawen.....it was Ulmo....Ulmo commanded Turgon to build Gondolin and leave the armor, helm and sword at Vinyamar. So Peredhil is right!Wink Smilie
Yes, Peredhil gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Elvenking wearing on his head when Bilbo first saw him Question Smilie
Hmmm ... let me see if I get this right:

'On his head was a crown of berries and red leaves, for the autumn was come again.'

From 'Barrels out of bond", chapter 9 of "The Hobbit".

Namarie!

P.S.: Did I get it, Grondy? I'm trying to find the secret: how to stop the PS from vaporising so soon! Still working on that one ...
Yes that is the answer bugyfeanor, you win the gem.

The problem I found in making the Pseudo-Silmarils long lasting was the cost of materials and energy to manufacture just one of them, was more than the GDP of a First World nation; thus, we will just have to make do with the more ethereal ones.

Who, or what, was Niphredil Question Smilie
It was a flower.
Correct Peredhil, a Pseudo-Silmaril is yours. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
The Niphredil was a white flower that bloomed in Doriath in starlight when Luthien was born. It also grew on Cerin Amroth in Lothlórien - Index to The Silmarillion.
Can you name the three varieties of Dragons Question Smilie
'worms' i.e. Glaurung, fire-dragons, and ice-dragons?
Quote:
There were three kinds: great serpents that slithered, those that walked on legs and those that flew with wings like the Bat. Of each kind there were two types: the Cold-drakes, who fought with fang and claw, and the miraculous Uruloki, Fire-drakes, who destroyed with breath of flame. (David Day's "Tolkien Bestiary")

Hope that answers your question, Grondy!

Namarie!
Well, I was looking for creepy crawlers, fire-drakes, and cold-drakes. My quizbook says The Uruloki (fire-drakes), the winged dragons and cold-drakes. The Encyclopedia of Arda says Cold-drakes, Fire-drakes, and Long Worms. The term "cold" here is used to mean non-fire-breathing. And the winged dragons as well as the long worms could come in either hot or cold varieties. Thus, this question was ill conceived, for it appears slither, legged, and winged are the three types as Bugyfeanor said and they each came in either hot or not so hot.

I'll give Arcormacolindóva a pretty bauble because his answer was close to what I thought was the answer, and another to Bugyfeanor for the more definitive answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you list the names of any seven of Sam and Rosie Gamgee's children Question Smilie
Elanor,Rose,Robin,Hamfast,Merry,Tolman,Pippin,Goldilocks,Primrose ,all I can remember for now Smile Smilie
LadyFeawen get a Pseudo-Silmaril for her list of names. Happy Elf Smilie

Does anyone want to come up with the other four children's names Question Smilie

Nah I think I´ll pass on this one me ol' mate Smoke Smilie
I can remember FRODO Gardner off the top of my head; (him, Elanor, and Goldilocks) the other three are Daisy, Ruby, and BILBO.
Correct Arcormacolindóva, you also get a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The names of Rosie and Sam's children can be found in 'The Longfather-Tree of Master Samwise' on the last page of Appendix C to LotR.

What city stood at the meeting of the Glanduin and the Mitheithel Question Smilie
Would that be Tharbad, Grondy? *wonders*
Tharbad it is, Bugyfeanor; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of a weapon did the Lord of the Nazgûl wield in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields Question Smilie
It was a mace, I think!
Mace is the word I needed, Stonehelm gets the pretty bauble, Perwing gets my condolences for being subjected to the poorly translated edition. Have you considered trying to obtain a copy in English Perwing?

Can you list the names of the Men that journeyed with Bilbo to the Lonely Mountain? Question Smilie
I wasn't aware that any Men journeyed with Bilbo, only Dwarves... Am I missing something obvious? :?
No Arcormacolindóva, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie It was a trick question to see if I could catch any dummies off guard. There aren't, as you just proved and I should have known, any dummies at Planet-Tolkien.com. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who led the Elves of Ossiriand to Thingol's aid in the first major battle of the Wars of Beleriand Question Smilie
Denethor, I'll bet.

Namarie!
Yup, Denethor Son of Lenwë, Bugyfeanor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Fingolfin and his people return to Middle-earth from Valinor Question Smilie
They crossed the Helcaraxë.
Yes, Peredhil gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what were the Valaraukar Question Smilie
Balrogs, fire spirits.....ainur that were seduced by Melkor before the creation of Arda....although Arien is a valarauka isn't she?(The maia that steers the sun....not sure about the name...may be wrong:PSmile Smilie But I believe I answered your question Grondy!
Yup, Aulë gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What is the chief city of Lórien Question Smilie
Caras Galadhon ,I think. Happy Elf Smilie
That's the place, LadyFeawen. You get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the Seven Hoards Question Smilie
Were'nt they seven great hoards of treasure at which the Seven Rings were the foundations, rather than the Rings being the actual hoards? Like, the masive amounts of treasure that the Dwarf-ring-holders got THROUGH the rings. Ok, that made no sense. Wink Smilie
Quote:
It is said that the foundation of each of the Seven Hoards of the Dwarf-kings of old was a golden ring; but all those hoards long ago were plundered and the Dragons devoured them, and of the Seven Rings some were consumed in fire and some Sauron recovered.

Silmarillion, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

So, I'd say the Seven Hoards were the treasures gathered by the Dwarves, not their Rings; I might be wrong, of course!
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>