Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
King Thranduil of Mirkwood?
Yup, Legolas's Dad, so LadyFeawen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the brother of Melkor in the thought of Ilúvatar Question Smilie
Ainur??
Manwë Súlimo
Yes Manwë also called Súlimo is the answer. They along with the rest of the Valar and Maiar are 'The Holy Ones', the Ainur. So only Arcormacolindóva had the right answer Ladyfea; he gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Sam plant the silver nut from Lothlorien, and what did it grow into Question Smilie
He planted it on the Party meadow (or what ever it's called in English), where Bilbo had his famous birthday party, and it became a Mallorn.
Aw... you don't have an English LotR, Amarië?
That might be a little difficult in translation, to say the least. So, I think it's the Party Field, but you certainly got the gist of it. Wink Smilie
Close enough for the cigar, er Pseudo-Silmaril Amarië. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Bilbo have to let the Dwarves into the secret of his ring Question Smilie
Because he had to use it to save them from the spiders? I'm not quite sure, it might have been to save the dwarves from the elves.
No, your first guess was the right one Stonehelm, the rescuing from Legolas's daddy's dungeon came later, after he donned the ring to draw the spiders away with his "Attercop!," "Old Tomnoddy," "Lazy Lob," etc. You get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which warriors bore a white Elven S-rune on their helms Question Smilie
The Orcs of Saruman.
Correct Peredhil, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What and where was the Mathom-house Question Smilie
The Mathom-House was in Michel Delving, it was a place where hobbits stored old things they didn't want lying around but were too precious or of sentimental value to them to be discarded, i.e. Bilbo's Mithril-coat. I think...
Arcormacolindóva has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How many teeth did Gollum have Question Smilie
Since I´m not his personal dentist I haven´t got a clueTongue Smilie
I believe he had something on the order of 8 or 9 teeth. but I could be wrong, not like I was paying much ttention to his teeth anyway
I would say that Gollum had six teeth. If you look in the chapter entitled Riddles in the Dark, located in The Hobbit, you would notice that Gollum says 'Teeth! teeth! my preciousss; but we has only six!' as an answer to one of Bilbo's riddles. Angel Smilie
Arcormacolindóva has the correct number and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who asked Bilbo for pork pie and salad Question Smilie
The above question was answered by some one on old P-T, so I will give a new one now. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what was Stybba Question Smilie
Some kind of horse, I believe.
Yes, but can anyone be more specific?
the pony Merry got from king theoden, who was also not able to follow them in the race for gondor so that's (one of) the reason(s) merry had to be left behind (although we all know he didn't.... hobbits and women, can never do as they are told!! *sighs* )
I'll have to give the Pseudo-Silmaril to Perwing with an honorable mention to Peredhil. Happy Elf Smilie

In what battle did Glaurung lead the Orcs to victory over the Noldor, breaking the Seige of Angband Question Smilie
The Dagor Bragollach, also the Battle of Sudden Flame, I think.
Correct Chikakat, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which member of the Court of Rohan secretly served Saruman Question Smilie
Grima Wormtongue, my preciouss ...

Namarie!
Bugyfeanor has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who 'chanted a song of wizardry, of piercing, opening, of treachery' Question Smilie
I believe that would be Sauron in the contest of Sauron and King Felagund. Elf Winking Smilie
And a Pseudo-Silmaril to Elfstone.

Elfstone: Is your avatar that onetime baseball player, Chuck Conners in his TV role as 'The Rifleman'?

What event in the life of Tolkien happened 0n 29 November 1971 Question Smilie
It was the death of his wife, wasn't it?
Actually it was Peredhil, my eyes grabbed the wrong date, normally I wouldn't have used that sad event. Anyway you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The artificial trees Glingal and Bethil stood in the tower of the King in which city Question Smilie
Gondolin, that would be, in Turgon's court.
Quote:
Elfstone: Is your avatar that onetime baseball player, Chuck Conners in his TV role as 'The Rifleman'?

Sure is Grondy! Good ol’ Chuck actually began his career as a professional basketball player with the Boston Celtics, and I believe was actually the first guy to delay the start of a pro basketball game due to the fact that he had shattered the backboard with a slam dunk during pre-game warm-ups. He switched to baseball in 1940.

I’m a huge “The Rifleman” fanatic! It ‘s like my favorite show in the whole world! I didn’t even know it really existed (although I knew who Chuck was) until about a year ago. My wife really got into watching “Rough and Ready” Saturdays on the Hallmark channel, where they play all of those old great western T.V. shows from the past all day long. That’s how I first happened to catch a few episodes, and I’ve been totally hooked ever since. Don’t ask me why, but I just love that show so much.

I’m currently eagerly awaiting my new “The Rifleman” box set DVD’s which contain the first 20 episodes (out of a total of 169 that aired between 1958 to 1963), plus a bunch of outtakes from the show. Should be here today, or tomorrow, can’t wait! All I can say is don’t mess with Lucas McCain!
Elf Smilie
Bugyfeanor has the correct answer and another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Farmer Giles of Ham stuff into his blunderbuss Question Smilie

Obviously there are currently no Farmer Giles of Ham readers this week so the answer is
Quote:
Old nails and bits of wire, pieces of broken pot, bones and stones and other rubbish.
I think. 'If it wasn't for the honor of the occasion, I'd just as soon' ... meet up with a twelve guage full of rock salt, even it it's bad for my blood pressure.

So I guess Grondy gets this Pseudo-Silmaril for his very own. Cool Elf Smilie

Oh my! How pretty.
Oh My! There it goes. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who said: 'It is not as I would have it; for this is little like my fair house in Edoras.' Question Smilie
Theoden, Master Grond, it was Theoden!
Aye, it was, Bugyfeanor, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Legolas's father wearing when Frodo's uncle first saw him Question Smilie Elf Winking Smilie
I don't remember much but I do recall a crown (garland?) of flowers and leaves and clothing that stayed true to the season.
Correct Uruk_slayer, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
On his head was a crown of berries and red leaves, for the autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers.- The Hobbit

Who helped build Vingilot for Eärendil Question Smilie
Quote:
With the aid of Círdan Eärendil built Vingilot, the Foam-flower

So I guess Círdan was the one you were looking for...
Thanks Perwing, I needed that! Cool Elf Smilie

Yes I really did, for Tommie's quiz posted Sunday 4th January 2004 (12:57pm) under History of Middle Earth Brainteaser which we have until the end of February to complete. all one hundred Tolkien Trivia Questions. Some members have already completed it and sent her their answers; I'm only one quarter through it.

Anyway Cirdan was the correct answer, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Snaga of Cirith Ungol die Question Smilie
I haven't been in here for a while, but seeing this question's been sat here for a few days, I'll have a pop at the answer.

Snaga was one of the Orcs guarding Frodo. He died of a broken neck that he sustained while fleeing from Sam.
Correct Val, rather than being skewered with Sting as weilded by Sam , which was the way PJ chose to tell Tolkien's story, Snaga accidently fell through the trap door and broke his neck. Had Sam actually killed Snaga while bearing the Ring, he might have found it harder to return the Ring to Frodo.

Who was Pippin's father Question Smilie
Paladin Took II Cool Smilie
You got it Tommie, and another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

To the top of which peak did the Endless Stair lead Question Smilie
Zirak-Zigil I think. Elf Confused Smilie
Yes Daisy, it is also called Celebdil the White and Silvertine. Happy Elf Smilie You get a Pseudo-Silmaril.

Though, you being a newbie, I must warn you that we do have a flaw in the making of these pretty baubles. They tend to sublimate prior to their new owner actually taking delivery. We have been trying to modify the process to extennd their shelf life to no avail. So far we get either a dollop of pretty Jell-O or a lump of evil smelling carbon that reminds me of high sulphur bearing coal.

Who slew Smaug Question Smilie
Who was Bard, the Riverman who doth slay the beast with fowhammer, the black arrow, with pearsed Smaug's left brest, the only spot uncoverd with dragon armer. Next question please. Big Smile Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Angel Smilie
Correct Crystle caves, another pretty bauble for your treasure hoard. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the only city in Valinor Question Smilie
Valimar.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>