Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Correct Ar-edain37, and I agree with your sentiment. You get the pretty bauble today. Happy Elf Smilie

Who betrayed Beren and Lúthien to Thingol Question Smilie
Wasn't that Daeron, the minstrel?
Aye Tommie, 'twas Daeron did the dastardly deed so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name the chapter that begins with the following words and also the name of the book Question Smilie
Quote:
Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur.
Simarillion

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

in which these tales come to their end.

Yeeeeeeeha!
i was going to say that!
Vee has the answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Sindarin name for Weathertop Question Smilie
Amon Sul, right?!
Right you are, Bugyfeanor. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why was the Fellowship unable to pass through the Redhorn Gate Question Smilie
Because rocks were raining down and snow was going deu, deu, and the hobbits were freezing to death (as was everyone else) and Gandalf remembered that there was no shelter from where they were up, and the last faggot had just been thrown onto the fire, and so they were stuffed. There was no hope of them getitng through without being crushed by a rock or buried in the snow.
Keerect Loni, you get another sparkly for your necklace. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the former name of Minas Tirith and what did it mean Question Smilie
Minas Anor - Tower of the Sun
That's it Bugyfeanor, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who taught his grandmother to suck eggs Question Smilie
That would be Gollum!
That it was Stonehelm, a pretty bauble for you. Happy Elf Smilie Sucking eggs? That before refrigeration and samonella I guess; now were told not to eat raw eggs, not even in egg-nog.

Who treated the wound on Merry's forehead Question Smilie
I don't have any of my books here, but I'm going to guess at Price Imrahil of Dol Amroth.
My guess would be Uglúk. (I'm sure you'd REALLY want to be healed by an Orc...) Dead Smilie
Yes Arcormacolindóva, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

After he poured the burning liquid down Pippin's throat, which removed the pain from legs and ankles, ...
Quote:
'Now for the other!' said Uglúk. Pippin saw him go to Merry, who was lying close by, and kick him. Merry groaned. Seizing him roughly Uglúk pulled him into a sitting position and tore the bandage off his head. Then he smeared the wound with some dark stuff out of a small wooden box. Merry cried out and struggled wildly.

The Orcs clapped and hooted. 'Can't take his medicine,' they jeered. 'Doesn't know what's good for him. Ai! We shall have some fun later.'

What was the capitol of the Orcs in the Misty Mountains Question Smilie
Aaaah, yes, that's right, Ugluk it was.

I'm not getting any better at this, but off the top of my head I would say Moria, which is probably wrong, but never mind. Animated Wink Smilie
No, but it was a place with a Khuzdul name, for it was where Durin the Deathless originally woke. Animated Wink Smilie
GUNDABAD!
Dol-Morgul?
Ered Mizrin?
Stonehelm has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Quote:
... in all the mountains there was a forging and an arming. Then they (the Goblins—called Orcs in the LotR—) marched and gathered by hill and valley, going ever by tunnel or under dark, until around and beneath the great mountain Gundabad of the North, where was their capitol, a vast host was assembled ready to sweep down in time of storm unawares upon the South. Then they learned of the death of Smaug, and joy was in their hearts; and they hastened night after night through mountains, and came thus at last on a sudden from the North hard on the heels of Dain. - from about eight pages into 'The Clouds Burst,' Chapter 17 of The Hobbit.

Why did Saruman wish the Necromancer to remain in Dol Guldur Question Smilie
Because he was starting to turn evil and if The Necromancer remained in Dol Guldur he would grow in power, spread evil, and i dont know if Saruman acctually knew that he was Sauron,if he did then he wanted him to come back to power and return to Mordor? thats just a wild guess
Saruman was afraid that the Necromancer was Sauron, because if he was, he could find the Ring when he was out Dol Guldur. When Sauron's forces started to look near the Anduin for the Ring, Saruman was afraid he could actally find the Ring and that's why he later started an assault on him......

Tell me if l'm right!!! Tongue Smilie
I'll give the pretty bauble to Gildor inglorion. Happy Elf Smilie I think Sauman knew the Necromancer was actually Sauron and he figured with him that close to the Great River Anduin , the Ring might reveal itself and be up for grabs. I don't know if Saruman had already been turned at this point or not, and even later in the LotR he was not totally Sauron's agent, so as long as there was a chance of claiming the ring for his own he was looking out for his own interest first, and only Sauron's as a back-up measure.

Who sang the following Question Smilie
Quote:
The dragon is withered,
His bones are now crumbled;
His armour is shivered,
His splendor is humbled!
Merry? The sweet hobbit? Or am I off? Smile Smilie
All I'm certain of is that it sounds like it's something that came from The Hobbit, most likely by a er... 'jubilant' Elf of Rivendell.
quite right Arco, only it was not just one elf, they were all singing as Bilbo returned to Rivendell after the battle Smile Smilie
Perwing, love the avatar.
Arco and Perwing can share the honors this time, Arco knew the source and where and Perwing had the definitive who and when. Happy Elf Smilie

In which tower was the Master-stone of the Palantiri kept Question Smilie
Amon Sul?
Nope, try again. Happy Elf Smilie
In Minas Ithil?
in the Tower of Avallone on Tol Eressea
Correct Sevrinn— wicked looking avatar by the way—you get the Pseudo-Silmaril, if you can catch it before it sublimates, for we still haven't figured out the process. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of Farmer Giles' (of Ham) dof Question Smilie Very Evil Smilie

... er ... Shaking Head Smilie make that dog. Dog Smilie
I suppose you mean "dog"? Orc Going Huh Smilie

If you do, his name was Garm. Right?
Yes Tommie, I meant dog and I meant Garm, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of birds drew the ships of the Teleri to the shores of Aman Question Smilie

Eagles?
My guess would be swans.
Yes, it would be swans, wouldn't it? After all they ended up in Alqualonde, and that meant Swan-harbour, didn't it?
Uruk_slayer has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Orcs are to Uruk-hai as Trolls are to what Question Smilie
ents?
Olog-hai???
Yes Stonehelm, "Olog-hai". Happy Elf Smilie You can read about them under Trolls near the end of Section I to Appendix F of LotR. Oh, yes. You also get the pretty bauble.

How did Pippin come to be questioned by Sauron Question Smilie
He looked into the palantir and saw Sauron who was using his palantir.
You got another one Stonehelm, and the proverbial pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What valley lay outside the Great Gates of Khazad-dûm Question Smilie
The Vale of Anduin. Smoke Smilie
East or West Gate? The Dimrill Dale?
Moria's east gate, for the west gate while adorned with ithildin, isn't as architecturally great as that of the other, the Great Gate that faced the Dimrill Dale. So Uruk_slayer gets the Pseudo-Silmaril today. Happy Elf Smilie

Which Dragon destroyed Dale and took The Lonely Mountain for his own Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>