Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
But you did not get the answer that he wanted, Loni.
Stonehelm has the correct answer: Esmaralda Took was Merry's mother. So he gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. And he's also right Loni, you still only have six pretty baubles, but keep trying.

In what year of the Third Age did Isildur plant a seedling of the White Tree in Minas Anor?
this is an educated guess TA 1?
TA 2.
Stonehelm has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was most distinctive about the flies of Mordor Question Smilie
They were marked with a red eye on their backs. Cool Smilie
Ah, that blasted sheep has done it again and beaten me to it.......goes looking for a sheep shearer, bout this time you lost your woolly coat isnt it? lol.j/k
Dangit!!!!! I had it at TA 2 but then I changed it !!!!! WHY!!!!!????
For the correct answer, Tommie gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who set out for Rivendell on his eleventy-first birthday Question Smilie
Bilbo Baggins?
You got it HobbitHomie05, and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you find the Odd Man (or Woman) Out Question Smilie

Gothmog, Galadriel, Melian, Sauron, Mithrandir
Galadriel, she is an elf, the others are Maian
Correct Amarië, you get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Smith of Wooton Major's wife find in his hair Question Smilie
Surely someone has a copy of this, Tolkien's charming faërie tale; however, I'll admit I don't know where my copy is and I haven't read it in years. I'll have to ask my daughter to dig it out of my inaccessible bookcase the next time she's here.

I'll post the answer to the question tomorrow, if no one gets it sooner.
His wife found a living flower from Faery in his hair after one if his jaunts to that place. May I please have my pretty bauble now, Grondy???? Big Smile Smilie
Pary Smilie Hooray, Nilgaerien gets the pretty bauble this time. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened to the creatures of Sauron after the destruction of the One Ring Question Smilie
They scattered and went into hiding. Some I believe cast themselves into pits.
Stonehelm gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
... the creatures of Sauron, orc or troll or beast spell enslaved, ran hither and thither mindless; and some slew themselves, or cast themselves in pits, or fled wailing back to hide in holes and dark lightless places far from hope. But the Men of Rhûn and of Harad, Easterlings and Southron, saw the ruin of their war and the great majesty and glory of the Captains of the West. And those that were deepest and longest in evil servitude, hating the West, and yet were men proud and bold, in their turn now gathered themselves for a last stand of desparate battle. But the most part fled eastward as they could; and some cast their weapons down and sued for mercy. - RotK a couple pages into 'The Field of Cormallen'.
Which wind did Aragorn and Legolas leave Gimli to sing of, and what was his response Question Smilie
They left him the East wind to sing of. And he replied: "You left the East Wind to me, but I will say naught of it." And Aragorn replied: "That is as it should be. In Minas Tirith they endure the East Wind, but they do not ask it for tidings."

Wiggle Smilie
Tommie knew the answer. Happy Elf Smilie

In Hobbit lore, what sort of creature was Fastitocalon Question Smilie
It was a huge turtle that disguised itself as an island, and then lured people onto it, and flipped them up in the air and ate them!!!!!

EIght pseudo-Silmarils!!!!! EIGHT!!!!! EIGHT!!!!!!!

*hand outstretched for her eighth pseudo-Silmaril
No Loni, you only had six because your answer on 18 MAY was incorrect. With your correct answer today, you now have seven. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the brother of Rúmil and Orophin Question Smilie
That would be Haldir. Cool Smilie
Haldir it was Tommie, so another pretty bauble coming your way. Happy Elf Smilie

The legend of Númenor had its origins in what nightmare Question Smilie
Tolkien's nightmare of the Sea rising up over the land and destroying the entire island. He gave it to Faramir as well.

NOW I DO HAVE EIGHT!!!!!!!! OH YES!!!!!!!!
YES!!! Lini finally now has EIGHT of the little sparklies because she had the right answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you describe the White Crown of Númenor Question Smilie If so please do it, but remember, we want the book version, not the movie version. Happy Elf Smilie
A ancient Numenorean war-helm, with a high crown and long cheek-guards which fitted closley to the face.The original Silver Crown was said to be the actual war helm of Isildur, but in the days of Atanatar Alcarin this was replaced by a far more flamboyant crown, thought still the same shape. The Crown was the chief emblem of royalty in Gondor, but in Arnor the Kings wore only a simple diadem, and the chief mark of Kingship was a Sceptre.
That is a fine description of its history Etharion and is deserving of a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Now for another pretty bauble, can anyone describe that flamboyant crown, the one worn by the last King of Gondor and which Aragorn had removed from the tomb, and which Faramir removed from its casket and handed to Aragorn, who handed it to Frodo, who carried it to Mithrandir, who placed it upon the head of the then crowned King Elessar, the King of the West, the King of both Gondor and Arnor Question Smilie
Common peoples, the crown's description is in the main story of RotK.
Yeeeeay!! I got one!!!

Is it this: "it was the shape of a helm of the guards of the citadel, only higher, all white, and the wings on the side were made of pearls and silver, like wings of the sea birds, because that is the emblem of royalty of the kings from over the seas, seven gems of adamant were in the rim and on the top one gem was set, whose light rose like fire."
Well, is it, huh?
You got it Etharion, and a Pseudo-Silmaril to boot. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did the King of the Mountains swear his allegiance to Isildur Question Smilie
At the stone of Erech?
Yes Etharion, you get the pretty bauble; however in the future when you get one right, and as a courtesy to the other members, please wait 24 hours after the next question is posted before posting another answer so they can get a crack at the questions too. Happy Elf Smilie Thanks

When Frodo asked Goldberry, "Who is Tom Bombadil?" what was her reply Question Smilie
She said: "He is." And later on she said about him: "Tom Bombadil is the Master."
And a shiny new Pseudo-Silmaril for Gildor inglorion. Happy Elf Smilie

Who helped Aragorn defeat the Corsairs at Pelagar Question Smilie
The dead.
Correct Stonehelm , you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

They were called the Apanónar, the Engwar and the Strangers. Who were they Question Smilie
Men?
The Atani they were named by the Eldar, 'The Second People'; but they called them also Hildor, 'The Followers', and many other names: Aponónar, 'The Afterborn', Engwar, 'The Sickly', and Fírimar, 'The Mortals'; and they named the the Usurpers, the Strangers, and the Inscrutable, the Self-cursed, the Heavy-handed, the Night-fearers, the Children of the Sun

Oh Frell, beaten again
While Sevrinn filled out the list with more names that they have been called, HobbitHomie05 first came up with the name "Men" which of course is the answer and the winner of the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of Melkor's great mace Question Smilie
(And if you get that right, who was buried in Grant's Tomb?)
It was called Grond(after you Grondy :elfbiggrinSmile Smilie . I dunno the answer to the other question.

P.S. Sorry about the rudeness of mine before, Grondy
I would say Grond for the first question and Grant for the second. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Heh, tricky one Grondy. Here's my answer:

1. Grond
2. No one.

Elk Grinning Smilie
Etharion has it, and a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie I didn't count it as rudeness Etharion, as you hadn't been here long enough to read through all the pages to find out about my 24 hour rule, which is really just a nicety towards sharing the fun. Happy Elf Smilie

For some reason, Stonehelm got the second one right. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Back in the early days of TV that question was used as the booby-prize question on a quiz show called 'You Bet Your Life' hosted by Grocho Marx. It was asked to those contestants, the boobies who missed all the other questions, in order that they could win something and wouldn't have to go home empty handed. And I'm not calling Stonehelm a 'booby'.

What did the Valar forbid the Dúnedain to do Question Smilie
They were forbidden to sail westwards, because the Valar feared they would become envious of the Undying Lands they and the Elves inhabited.
They forbade them to indulge in Lewd behaviour, use coarse language and wear loud surcoats (especially pinks n golds)!

Cool Smilie
Gildor inglorion has got it right and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Lord aelric gets an unhonorable mention and a Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie just because I felt like his answer deserved it.

When Faramir surrendered his office of Steward to Aragorn, how did Aragorn react Question Smilie
He returned it to him. Aragorn confirmed in Faramir and his descendants the office of Steward of Gondor, and granted him in addition the Princedom of Ithilien. Cool Smilie
Gildor inglorion has it right Smile Smilie even though it was only 12 hours since I posted it, not 24 and you were here when I last posted the rule. Sad Smilie I'll give you the pretty bauble this time, but please wait the full 24 hours after I post the next question before you give an answer. This rule only applies when you get the last one right.

What colours were Treebeard's eyes Question Smilie
Treebeards eyes were brown, bright and shot with a green light

Tolkien had a thing about colour didnt he when you think about it, green elves, silver glass, white tree, Gandalf the Grey, Saruman the Black, grey elves, "...a red day"... - ah the list goes on and on!
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>