Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Sorry Loni, but Will Whitfoot actually was Mayor of the Shire and lived in the Westfarthing, rather than Hobbiton; his office was in Michel Delving. At the beginning of the story he was Mayor, was deposed by Lotho who named himself Chief Shirriff.

Loni was right that after the scouring of the Shire in November S.R. 1419 (TA 3019), Frodo did serve as Acting Mayor (actually as Will's Deputy) until Will Whitfoot recovered from being the first of many who had been imprisoned in the Lockholes by Lotho and his Men. Frodo resigned and Will resumed the office on Mid Year's Day S.R. 1420 (TA 3020). In S.R. 1427 Will Whitfoot resigned and Samwise was elected Mayor of the Shire for the first of seven times. He resigned the office in S.R. 1476.

All this can be found in Appendix B to LotR as well as RotK, Book VI, Chapters 8 and 9.

Anyway, Vee had the right answer and gets the pretty bauble.

Who built Durthang and why Question Smilie
Castle built by the King of Gondor (dunno which one, though) on the ridge on the western side of the Udun to guard that entrance to Mordor.

*prepares the forge for the coming pseudo-Silmaril*
Torondor built the citatel to prevent and moniter the rebirth of mordor, like Cirith Ungol.
I'll give the Pseudo-Silmaril to Bugyfeanor for that is all I was looking for. Happy Elf Smilie

However, if Frodo_baggins can point me to the source of his answer, he may have one also. I only found that one Tarondor was King of Gondor in TA 1640 and Mordor was left unguarded during his reign, which means he is way too late to have built those castles. Happy Elf Smilie

What time of day was it when Bilbo set out to join Thorin's Company Question Smilie
11am ?
Yes, he should have arrived till 11 am, but he got the message that was left by the Dwarves for him at 10.45 or something and came to late.
Actually, according to Gandalf , Bilbo had just 10 minutes to get to Bywater when he had finished reading Thorin's note.
Quote:
Very puffed he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven, and found he had come without a pocket-handkerchief! - from The Hobbit, Chapter 2 entitled, "Roast Mutton"

Therefore, Moriannon gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In the beginning, Sauron was one of the Maiar of which Vala Question Smilie
I think it was Aule, but having to scour my memory.
Im gonna go with Daisy on this one...Guessing Aule as well.
Yep, Daisy gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for Gorthaur the Cruel as Sauron was also known was in the beginning the Maiar of Aulë as written in the Valaquenta of The Silmarillion. Happy Elf Smilie

Given a year and a hundred of his kind, what could Gimli have made of Helm's Deep Question Smilie
No quote, as my books are not in globish, but:
A palace, nice place to be, that would make Moria a bleak memory. Smile Smilie
Dag-nab-it, I couldn't find the quote. But didn't he say that they would make it a place that armies would break on like water upon rocks?
I think he would get some dwaves from Erebor and they would carve, but just a little every year, to make the glittering carves (Sorry, can't remeber hwo they are called in english) even more beautiful,. Something in remembrance of moria that was lost perhaps...
Yes! Jumping Flame Smilie Loni finally gets her fourteenth pretty bauble for the answer. Happy Elf Smilie I found the quote eight pages into 'Helm's Deep', Chapter 7, Book III, TTT, where Gimli says:
Quote:
'Ever my heart rises as we draw near the mountains. There is good rock here. This country has tough bones. I felt them in my feet as we came up the dike. Give me a year and a hundred of my kin and I would make this a place that armies would break upon like water.'

Where did the Phile of Galadriel become 'A light when all other lights go out' Question Smilie
In Shelob's Lair.
Correct Virumor, but you already knew that. Anyway another Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the chief city of Lórien Question Smilie
Quote:
Welcome to Caras Galdhon!' he said. 'Here is the city of the Galadhrim where dwell the Lord Celeborn and Galadriel the Lady of Lorien.

So I'm guessing it's Caras Galaldhon! Fifteenth Silmaril on the way!!!!!! WHEEEEE!!!!!! And you spelt phial wrong. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER CAUSE I NOW HAVE FOURTEEN SILMARILS AND I'LL SOON HAVE FIFTEEN!!!!!!!
Fifteen and counting for Loni. Happy Elf Smilie

(Phial vs. Phile: I are an ingenear and sometimes I forget to use the spellchecker) Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

On what European languages were Quenya and Sindarin respectively based Question Smilie
Quenya : Latin, Finnish and Greek.

Sindarin : Welsh.
I was looking for Finnish and Welsh so Virumor gets another pretty-bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who threw his Silmaril into the sea and why did he do it Question Smilie
That was Maglor, so of feanor.
Hi did this, out of despair.
He and his brother, Meadhros had got them back, but as not beeing their right owners any more, they burned in their hands and out of pain Maglor throuw his on into the sea.
Correct you are Idril, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Name the Peredhil.
Hmmm... tricky one, Grondy!

I mean, Elrond and Elros were the official Half-Elves, yet this goes back to Dior, son of Luthien and Beren; Earendil, son of Idril and Tuor; Elwing, Eluchil and Elured, children of Dior (Half-Elven himself) and Nimloth; Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir, children of Elrond (Half-Elven himself) and Celebrian; I'm not so sure about Eldarion and the daughters of Aragorn and Arwen...

That's about it!

Namarie!
I thought a peredhil was a child of an elf and a man, but when you say "THE" peredhil, I don't know which one you are talking about, as there are many.
I guess you mean Elrond since Peredhil was a name given to him and his brother, and since Elros is dead that leaves Elrond as the only Peredhil (with big P). As bugy said, there were many peredhili (or whatever the plural of peredhil is), but at the time of LOTR there is only one Peredhil, and that was Elrond.
I'm going with Bugyfeanor's answer as I was looking for Elrond and Elros. Happy Elf Smilie Though, as we cover the entire range of time in Tolkien's works all his answers are correct.

If I remember my grammar lessons correctly: the article "the" may designate either a specific singular object or a pluricity of objects, while the article "a" designates a singular object. Still it has been awhile and maybe the rules have changed. Is "pluricity" a real word or did I make it up?

Who (from a list of Tolkien's literary characters) wrote the poem 'The Stone Troll' Question Smilie
Sam?
Bilbo, I think...
It was Sam, so Stonehelm gets the pretty-bauble. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
'Where did you come by that, Sam?' asked Pippin. 'I've never heard those words before.'

Sam muttered something inaudible. 'Its out of his own head, of course,' said Frodo. 'I am learning a lot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up by becoming a wizard—or a warrior!'

'I hope not,' said Sam. 'I don't want to be neither!' - from about half way into 'Flight to the Ford,' Chapter 12, Book I, FotR.

Isengard was destroyed by whom Question Smilie
The Ents, the Ents I say! Easy one, Grondy.
Don't forget the Hobits! There were to tiny Hobbits called merry and pippen wih them...
No! Isengard was destroyed by B-52s.
Well....actully is was not destroyed at all, just the surroundng walls. The tower remained intact.
**Ahem**
Stoney, the tower itself, Orthanc, was not destroyed, you are right.
But I think that Grondy's use of Isengard refers to the surrounding walls and outlying compound that Saruman had set up in place of the natural beauty and trees, which is what irked the Ents in the first place. Of course, there is also the strong possibility that I have misinterpreted his meaning, in which case, oh well! Anyway, someone else already answered correctly, so I don't know what business I have putting my two cents' worth!

**She knocks herself out for the common good**
I think Isenguard was destroyed by Saruman and his orcs when they tore down the trees to make smithies and mines.
Loni has the answer I was looking for, however Laurelindhe ilmarin has the reason and Frodo_baggins probably the better answer. Loni gets the shiny-shiny , which I think is her fifteenth; the other two may take a bow for their expertise. Happy Elf Smilie Happy Elf Smilie Happy Elf Smilie

Though our Pseudo-Silmarils sublimate, I believe Loni's necklace must be quite dazzling in its brightness. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What did Mlkor seek in the Void Question Smilie
The Flame Imperishable! But he didn't find it, because it was with Iluvatar! Seventeenth SIlmaril on the way! Packaging not included.
Nope, you have the right answer, but because you won the last one and forgot to wait 24 hours after I posted the next one; this pretty-bauble goes back in the pot. See the rule in the first post in this thread. So Loni still only has 15 Pseudo-Silmarils and must wait until tomorrow before answering this one too.

Name two rivers that flow through Fangorn Question Smilie
Limlaith and Onodlo?
Sorry, Grondy. Forgot. Bad Loni! Shocked Smilie And I don't even know what rivers flow through Fangorn. Except the Entwash. Woopsies! Rolling Eyes Smilie Dead Smilie
Limklar and Onodló, I'd say...
I know! I know! I know! But I have to wait for a day. Ignore Smilie

good try loni
Well let me see, the 'Onodló' is Elven for the 'Entwash' so that is half the answer; however, I find no mention of 'Limklar', even when I compare to Note 46, Section II, Part 3 of Unfinished Tales. So unless Idril can come up with the source for 'Limklar' or provide a different translation, that part of the quiz remains unanswered. Still I'll hold the Pseudo-Silmaril for him/her in case he/she can.

Meanwhile: What was the name of the great feast hall in the capital of Rohan Question Smilie
meduzaldem?.. no no Meduseld?
Hm, in fact I checked on my card of Middleearth that is printed in my german Edition of Lotr. Now I looked in the old english edition too and saw, that there the stream was not named.

Oh, I just found out, that it's in English Limlight, the Translation of Wolfgang Krege Limklar, Silberlauf,
Okay Idril, I thought that might have been the case. According to the above Note 46, Tolkien also spelled Limlight: Limlich, Limliht, Limlaith, and Limlint depending things like which version of his papers you look at and whether it was used by the Rohirrim, the Elves, or the English translation of the Westron.

Anyway Idril gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for Entwash and Limlight in whaterver language is used.

And Meduseld is the Rohirrim feast hall so Etharion also get a pretty-bauble.

What office had Robin Smallburrow been appointed to under the Chief Question Smilie
I pretty sure that he was a hobbit appointed as one of the guard/sherrifs who meets Frodo and co. in the "scouring of the shire"

Yay! my twelfth on the way!

Yep, Shirriff it was: a Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

What were Ormal and Illuin Question Smilie
The Two Lamps! The Lamps of the Valar! Oh yeah! Sixteenth Silmaril! Sparkling now!
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>