Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
That seems a bit of an overreaction. My take on "isn't it supposed to be 'colour?' was that it was not at all serious, more of a whimsical comment.

For no reason I can fathom, two of my three children spell color as colour. (We're Yanks, by the way.) They just like the way it looks.

Oh, yeah, because Sting's edge shines blue in the proximity of Goblins.
Quote:
And Lord_aragorn86's "yellow and green" is the correct answer earning anothe pretty bauble.

Thanks a lot Grondy. Though I don't understand the use of "another". This is my first one!

And Bilbo knew Sting was elvish because of the elvish characters inscribed on it. He saw them in the Troll's caves. Also, Gandalf and Elrond told him!
Shaya puma gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. He had the correct answer, which was the blade turned blue in the vicinity of Goblins, which Bilbo only discovered after he lost Gandalf and the Dwarves in the Goblin tunnels.

Elrond only looked at Glamdring and Orcrist; he never looked at Sting; though had there be any writing on the dagger Bilbo used as a short sword and later called Sting, he probably would have asked Elrond for the interpetation. Therefore, our movie copies of Sting are probably not quite authentic bookwise, for they have writing, though I can't remember what it is supposed to say.

'Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky...' How many rings are mentioned in all that verse Question Smilie
mmmm.... 3 + 7 + 9 + 1 = 20
I can't fault Oloriniwasinmyyouth's math; therefore he gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened when the Brandywine froze over in the Fell Winter Question Smilie
wolves crossed it.

Hobbit hobbiti lupus.
...ya mean they didn't film "Hans Bracegirdle and the Mithril Skates"???

Wink Smilie
Wasn't there a battle? Or maybe that didn't happen in the winter... Never mind Wink Smilie
No sorry, my answer is the correct one.

1302! Vlaanderen den Leeuw!

Virumor's correct answer gains a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who did Bilbo ask, 'Well are you alive or are you dead'?
Just outside the 24 hours. Smile Smilie

It was Thorin Oakenshield
Correct Oloriniwasinmyyouth, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

By what name was the Dimrill Dale known to the Dwarves, and what did they call the mere that lay in it Question Smilie
The mere was called Kheled-z‚ram and the Dwarves called the valley Azanulbizar. You gotta love these names.
You got it Rhapsody and also the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What river flowed down to the Grey Havens Question Smilie
Is that the river Lune? Or Luin? Depends from where you come from.
Aye that was/is/will have been also spelled LhŻn? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Etharion gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Sindarin name for the black crows of Fangorn and Dunland Question Smilie
Crebain I thought.
You thought right.

Smile Smilie
Yes, Crebain is right!!

What was Ithildin?? Elf Confused Smilie
A metal or something made from mithril. It reflected light from the moon and stars, used on the gate of Moria. But we don't ask questions in this thread, Grondy provides a new question every day, we answer them and get pseudo silmarills (imaginary prices). Smile Smilie
Yup, Rhapsody gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who owned the horse that Frodo rode across the Ford of Bruinen and what was its name Question Smilie
The pony was named Bill, and the late owner was Bill Ferny. Right?
It was Glorfindels horse Asfaloth. In the movie it was Arwen and Asfaloth.
Noro-lim, Amarie, noro-lim!

Smile Smilie
Lol, I was posting as fast as I could. Wink Smilie
Man, i didnt read the question right!! DOPE! (Homer style) Orc Going Huh Smilie
Quote:
DOPE! (Homer style)

Looks like you have got that wrong too, bud. Homer says it as "D'oh!!" not "Dope". Anyways, keep having fun!
AmariŽ knows her horesflesh, so she gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you recite the words with which the hobbits were saved from the Barrow-wight Question Smilie
It's a short incantation (four rhyming lines) calling on Tom Bombadil (ends ...for our need is near us.) but I would have to look it up to get the lines right, which would be cheating.
Quote:
It's a short incantation (four rhyming lines) calling on Tom Bombadil (ends ...for our need is near us.)

Well, I think what Grondy is really looking for is the rhyme sung by Tom Bombadil himself which drove the wight out of the barrow. But then, I don't remember the exact lines and I share the views that referring the book will be cheating so I pass on the opportunity to a person who has a very good memory!
Quote:
I share the views that referring the book will be cheating so I pass on the opportunity to a person who has a very good memory!

...which would be none of us

Smile Smilie
I don't mind if you use the books as long as you look for the answer in the text rather than only in the index.

Most of us now know in what chapter of the non-HOME books something can be found after we have read the books so many times. So we should try to find the fact in the text first, refreshing our memories as to the context and the story around the fact , rather than first going from the index to the unique page where the fact lies. Teacher Smilie

I was actually looking for the four lines of verses that Tom taught Frodo, but the way my question was worded means I will also accept Tom's six lines of verse that actually did the job. Happy Elf Smilie
Okay, as no one wishes to take the time typing out any of the lines, Black Sword gets the pretty bauble for knowing where the lines could be found in the story. Happy Elf Smilie

Who gave Turin the name Mormegil (Black-sword) Question Smilie
The Elves of Nargothrond, after reforging Anglachel, which Turin renamed Gurthang. Mormegil means ... my nickname!
Correct Black sword; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie However, in the future, please comply with the following rule which I have copied from the first post in this thread. (In this case, no harm done.)
Quote:
This rule has been instigated as a courtesy to the membership who live in different timezones: When you correctly answer the trivia question, please wait 24 hours after the next question is posted, before posting another answer so the other members can get a crack at a question too. Thanks Happy Elf Smilie

What underground halls were known as the Thousand Caves Question Smilie
Ahhh, lovely Menegroth, home of Thingol and Melian, also of Luthien Tinuviel.
Oops, sorry! I thought my previous answer was so inadequate I didn't even check. I didn't realize I won by default.
That it was Oloriniwasinmyyouth, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were Nimloth of Doriath's mother- and father-in-law Question Smilie
Wow! I donīt have the answer, but thought it would be nice for you to know that this questions are as envigorating as mind-bogling. For real fans indeed. Glad to have you back.
WEll, I would reply except that I CAN'T because I"m at school. It's my first day back and I'm in the computer room. Cool, eh? I don't have my TLOTR with me, so I can't answer. DARN!!
I know the fathers name, that is Galathill, she married Dior and they begot Elwing. Mom of Nimloth is unknown.
Ahhh, but that's not what Grondy asked. He asked for Nimloth's mother- amd father-in-law. Note the hyphen after mother. Nimloth's in-laws were none other than Beren Erchamion and Luthien Tinuviel.
Tricksy eh what? Well read Oloriniwasinmyyouth, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How high was the secret door in the side of the Lonely Mountain Question Smilie
Quote:
Ahhh, but that's not what Grondy asked. He asked for Nimloth's mother- amd father-in-law.

LOL, that's what you get when your back is all cramped up. Smile Smilie
FIVE FEET!!!!!!! That's seven inches shorter than me. Damn, it IS small!!! Imagine Gandalf trying to squeeze in there. And I didn't even consult my Hobbit.

That'll be 23rd, please.
You are correct Lomi, so have another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie You have enough for a belt now, if you have figured out a process to reverse their rapid sublimation. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What part of Frodo became best acquainted with the Crack of Doom Question Smilie
Well, trickssy questionss you assk, my preciouss. But, we knowss the ansswer. We bit the master'ss ring finger off, didn't we, my preciouss? Yess, we did. Yess, we did!
Belts, belts... No, I'm going to have a darling little hairpiece as well as my necklace and clip-on earrings......
Lord_aragorn86 has the answer and today's entire production output of Pseudo-Silmarils, meaning a grand total of "one". Elf Winking Smilie

In the books, who said "Yrch"; in what language is it said, and what is its meaning Question Smilie
Legolas
Sindarin (probably with a Mirkwoodian accent)
Orcs
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>