Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Actually... Ghân-buri-Ghân...
Oh comon now. He got the name right. Lets not get into details.
Hm..Ethy's got a good point Smile Smilie
I am sorry that I did not put the full name but I was being lazy. And so I was typing as little as possible.
Lazy lazy lazy. I'm lazy. Except I had to get up at half past five this morning. I was at camp, and they made us go out to ANZAC cove for the ANZAC dawn service. At least they didn't wake us with a yodelling CD (my brother's) like all the other mornings. Do you know how weird it is to be listening to someone yodelling the William Tell Overture and then suddenly go into the Carmen Overture? It's WEIRD. And do you know how weird it is when this random friend you met the other day gets you to ballroom dance along the path in front of all the cabins, and you're trying to waltz with someone who can't waltz (not to mention yourself) to really really really fast 4/4 time? And then you have a go at tangoing when your partner doesn't know what you're doing. And then they put it on the Camp Video. Which is on sale for $5. Not much. Which is also on the internet. But no one recognised me, unless they're very familiar with the back of my head!!!!!
lol. I get up at half past 5 every morning for school.
Now if I can remember somewhat of what I wrote here late Saturday that disappeared yesterday as did all my subsequent posts until today (I didn't post yesterday):

While Robbin' wood knew the name, his answer left a little something to be desired; and though Gildor inglorion's answer was the most correct, it came in later than Adreia's, which had enough info to win the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the last sign of Frodo that Sam, Merry, and Pippin saw as he sailed away into the West?
The Shining light from Frodo's vial of galadriel right or do you need me to be more specific?
The Shining light... nice. Now i'm picturing Frodo axing in a round door of a hobbit hole and crying out "Heeeeeere's Johnny!".
Yes, we want you to be more specific. It's 'phial' not 'vial.' RRR!!!! Ha Ha Ha Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie

Quote:
lol. I get up at half past 5 every morning for school.

I shall die. I SHALL DIE. I would just be like.... well, a lot less lazy, I suppose. I pity you. I get up at half past seven. Most people at my school get up at like... half past six, but they're just slowpokes. I can get ready in quarter of an hour, and ten minutes if I push it. But I'm only physically lazy. I'm academically like... WORK WORK WORK and musically too, so that's my excuse. And I'm sticking to it. (Haha, it doesn't hold up much with my mates Ha Ha Ha Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie )

And I never remembered Frodo holding up the Phial. I shall read that bit again. Becasue this is not Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, or something more obscure, this is LOTR. I should know this.
The light of Earendil, the elves brightest stars?
before anyone pulls me up for not addinbg the diaresis to the 'E' of Earendil, it doesnt have to be there ok :P
arrrgh I meant phial too. I cant ever get it just right. I knew something was wrong with vial of galadriel. :P
That's all right Robbin' wood, I've made that same mistake too, in either Tommie's (when she as still known as Tom Bombadillo) or else Val's long winded trivia quiz found in the History of Middle Earth Brainteaser thread. But not to worry, because I'm awarding you the pretty bauble, because your answer was 'close enough for government work'. Happy Elf Smilie (When I was a civil servent, we were all very conscientious, for we did not choose to loose a submarine because we were too lazy to do the job right the first time, and there were no second chances.)

What city stood in the Calacirya, the Pass of Light Question Smilie
Tirion upon Tuna
thank you Grondy.Big Smile Smilie
Fingolfin has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name the three strains of hobbits Question Smilie
Fallohides
Harfoots
Stoors
The answer to your question, Grondy, is 'Yes, I can.' And tehnically you would have to award them the bauble, becuse they answered it correctly.

Quote:
When I was a civil servent, we were all very conscientious, for we did not choose to loose a submarine because we were too lazy to do the job right the first time, and there were no second chances.)

GRONDY WAS A CIVIL SERVANT? They're SOOO cool. We don't got none in NZ. Well, I only think they're cool cause they dress up in suits and look poncy and they're in 'Yes, Minister' and 'Yes, Prime Minister' of which whatsisface, SIr Humphrey Appleby (I almost said Carpenter) is my FAVOURITEST character. Cause he's all crooked. Especially the episode when he got told off by a feminist for calling her 'dear lady.' But they're probably real boring and such. Except Grondy. He's cool, cause he's got over 9,000 posts. Does no one else think that's cool? (And no wonder he's a blue meanie!!)
Curufinwe has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril as well. Happy Elf Smilie

Technically you are correct Loni, though if you were to answer that way, you might only recieve an Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie . Also over here, anyone who works directly for the gummint in a non-military and non-diplomatic position is a deemed civil servant. This also rules out our politicians who are supposed to work for the people, but often work against them.

At what time was Bilbo expected to be at the 'Green Dragon' Question Smilie
Finally early enough to post first!

11 a.m.

Wiggle Smilie
GRRR whenever i log in someone else has answered the question already!
Tommie wins the pretty bauble for her correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

According to the song, how many fir trees were perched in by a total of fifteen birds Question Smilie
Believe me Gwaihir, I know the feeling... Animated Wink Smilie

Someone else can do this one. Don't know the answer anyway. Orc Grinning Smilie
five?
Five it was Eva lilith, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the last battle fought in the Shire Question Smilie
Read Smilie

The Battle of Bywater?
I don't exactly remember the namebut I do know that it was during the Great Fell Winter, when the East farthing had been covered with snow and ice and all the white stuff and the wargs and orcs had come down for a picnic into the shire but their peaceful plans were thwarted by Bilbo's ancestors who actually set down inventing the game of golf with the head of a certain orc chieftain. What evil creatures these hobbits are!
Was it The Battle of the Green Field?
The scourcing of the Shire.
Tommie has it with the Battle of Bywater in 1419 SR (3019 TA) which occurred 272 after The Battle of Greenfields; sorry LA86 and Adreiathough you made a good try. So Tommie gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

"Where was "There" Question Smilie
Mordor
WHAT?? I don't get it. Where was 'there?'
It's probably "there" as in "there and back again". Animated Wink Smilie

I'll let someone else have it, I have to be going anyway. Cheerio!
If it is as Tommie says, then the place would be Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. Well, is it?
Yes it is Etharion, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of a creature was Carc and who was his son Question Smilie
He was a raven and I think... his son was Roac. But i bet it wasn't. And I'm wrong. But it's worth a try for my 26th pseudo-Silmaril.
1500th post!!! Feel happy everybody!!!
Yes you may add that ephemeral Pseudo-Silmaril to your string Loni, for you have the right answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said, 'If I was after the Ring, I could have it – NOW!' Question Smilie
Strider
can i post a question PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

who was Theodens standard bearer in the Battle of the Pellenor Fields, and what was ironinc about his name?
Quote:
can i post a question PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

You can have the honour in the "Tolkien Quiz" thread which is in the Ivy Bush tavern. In this thread, only Grondy asketh!

As for you question, is the answer, "He who must not be named" since that would make his name ironic too?
I think it was Denethor that said that... @Grondy
Virumor has the correct answer with Strider and thusly the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What sort of trees flanked the West-door of Moria Question Smilie

Tauro: Theoden's banner bearer at the Battle of Pelennor Fields was Guthláf. I do not know what was ironic about his name, but I assume it must have something to to do with his name's translation, of which I could hazard a guess though I know only English. Does his name mean "good life" and he was found "dead" just before Theoden uttered his final words?

As Lord_aragorn86 said above, I provide the questions in this thread; however, please feel free to take turns answering and giving Tolkien Trivia questions in our Tolkien Quiz.
Holly trees?
Grondmaster, very good very good, his name is in Old English, and basically translates as "survivor of battle" which, of course, he did not.

Apologies for posting any way
Tommie knew the trees and collects another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What great battle was fought between Dwarves and Orcs at Moria's East-gate Question Smilie
The Battle of Nanduhirion...

The last decisive battle that won the war of orcs and dwarves after 9 years of fighting.
Correct Curufinwe, though to the Dwarves it was known as the Battle of Azanulbizar (which along with your Elvish Nanduhirion are names for the Dimril Dale). You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What hills lay to the east of Erebor Question Smilie
the iron hills, ruled over by dain ironfoot i believe?
That's the place Fingolfin; you win the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of Oromë's steed Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>