Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
It was when Legolas was walking through the mysterious forest of Huorns that appeared in the night after the battle of Helm's Deep.
Oh dang, I think you're right Lemaly.
Yes, Lemaly orangeflower has the correct answer and also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What tragic figure was known as Thalion, the Steadfast Question Smilie
Ask me a hard one. Animated Wink Smilie Hurin Thalion (the way I always think of him, as I was this AM) father of Turin Turambar, inspiration for my handle. So are we not counting my Huorn answer since I read it in another post a few days back (can kinda understand that, just curious?)

While I'm here, in what forum are those brainteasers? I was going through them (also this AM) when I got sidetracked and couldn't find them again.
yeah they can be amuseing Very Mad Smilie
You have the correct answer Morambar and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

I also have to appologize to Morambar, for he also was the first with the correct answer to the previous one, but I missed it in his verbose paragraph about other stuff.

In answer to Morambar's current query, check out History of Middle Earth Brainteaser which contains quite a few sets of trivia questions and answers submitted by our members. Initially the membership emailed their answers, the originator graded them, and after the passage of the stated time, posted the answers and the grades of the top participants.

Who granted Saruman the key to the tower of Orthanc Question Smilie
AAAHHHHHH I KNOW TIS BUT IT HASNT BEEN 24 HOURS AND IM GOING OUT THE DOOR NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Verbose? ME? No, never. Shocked Elf Smilie That might be my biggest obstacle to good writing, but there's this author I like that spends pages describing a tree, and Jordan isn't much better. Thanks, Grondy, I AM working on it (believe it or not.) The other one's biggy; like I said, I felt a little guilty having read another post discussing it a few days before, I was just curious and your explanation was perfectly reasonable.

I'm guessing you want a name on this one, so I'm gonna bow out since looking things up ruins it for me. Thanks for the brainteaser info, too, I wanna check all the old ones before trying new ones, and those I WILL treat as open book, or I have no chance.

This post has been edited by Morambar to remove over a paragraph. Elf Winking Smilie
It has now been over 24 hours. Elk Grinning Smilie

I found the answer to this in Unfinished Tales, which is also shown abbreviated on P-T as UT.
I believe the answer is Steward Beren, Grondy.
Correct Eruwen, have another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In what battle did Merry and Pippin lead a band of hobbits against a hundred or so of the Chief's Men Question Smilie
The Battle of Bywater (and thanks for reminding me of another thing I didn't like about the movies. Was nice to beat the rush when I heard "Well, I'm back.")
Correct as always Morambar, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

On which city was Gondolin modeled after Question Smilie
Tirion?
Correct Tirion, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How did in die Question Smilie
Argggh, burn you, Inwe, you beat to something I just read about my favorite story! Before I even got my bauble, too; I never even saw it. Oh well, how 'bout The Watcher in the Water? (Nice job; it even had replicas by Turgon himself of the Two Trees.)
Well, you got another Pseudo-Silmaril coming Morambar. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

Too bad the mathematics of the ancient Greeks wasn't useful towards improving the manufacturing process to slow down the sublimation rate of these pretty baubles. Orc Sad Smilie Oh well, maybe in the next milenium we'll get it figured out. Orc Grinning Smilie
Quote:
(Nice job; it even had replicas by Turgon himself of the Two Trees.)
You mean the ones named Belthil and Glingal which represented Telperion and Laurelin respectively?

What happened on 15 January 3019 TA Question Smilie

Oops Got The Blues Smilie Grondy messed up and originally said 19 January above, which has now been corrected to 15 January. Sorry.
Cool, thanks Grondmaster. I'll take a wild stab and say Frodo and the Hobbit delegation to the Fellowship left the Shire. It's so early there's not many candidates, but I'm not going to the ToY or Fellowship to double check, so there.

Go easy on the Greeks; they proved the world was round, invented the steam engine, and devised the atomic theory before the birth of Christ, and all without calculus. The Celt in me is still a little upset about the Trojan War though. Beginning of an end that came in Britain and Ireland; very LT. Of course, in LT2 Tolkien holds that the ENGLISH had all the valid histories of the Celtic Elves and the Celts were way off, so where does that leave us?
No, they left the Shire on 23 September 3018 TA, which was the day after the birthdays Birthday Smilie of Bilbo and Frodo.
Oops, I was afraid of that, but the "Gandalf delay" threw me a bit without checking. Forgot to say, yes, those were, of course, the Two Trees of which I was thinking. I came late, as always, and must now head over to the rumored discussion of Turgon (YEA TURGON!) in the characters section.
That is the day that the company reached the bridge of Khazad-Dm, and when Gandalf fell into the abyss.
That's it Lemaly orangeflower, the day of Gandalf's and the Balrog's demise, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of the plain that lay between Isenmouthe and Cirith Gorgor Question Smilie
Udun or the vale of Udun perhaps?
You got it Elrose, and a Pseudo-Silmaril too. Happy Elf Smilie

What food did the Men of Esgaroth make for long journeys Question Smilie
Cram?
It's all about timing, sigh. Still rather have lembas.
Cram is correct; though Elrose doesn't get the prize, for he only waited 2 hours rather than the required 24. And yes, everyone with the exception of Gollum, would rather have Lembas. Gollum finds 'eating cram' and 'going hungry' to be much higher on the list of pleasurable pursuits than 'eating lembas', which is at the bottom of the list, just below 'munching charcoal briquettes,' which I am told, taste nothing like chicken. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What was the first name of Smith of Wooton Major's wife Question Smilie And "Mrs." won't cut it, so don't bother. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
noooooooooooooo and i know this one to, i think....no i dont
Could you please stop posting trash ? If you have nothing interesting to say or don't know the answer, then don't post. Read the forum rules, pls.
sorry
You're Loni's American cousin, aren't you ?
not to my knowledge...(talk about posting 'trash" Very Evil Smilie
Pls tell her to come back... she is sorely missed.

I never post trash. I post garbage. I like their new album.
It's on the tip of my tongue, but after thirty hours, twenty four of them at wotmania (where one can discuss anything, and I mean ANYTHING, and language isn't aggressively monitored; not saying this a plus by any means, just noting the contrast) it's hopeless. I wanna say Elizabeth so I guess I might as well since I'm here anyway.

What i really wanna know is ya'lls thougts on a question that's nagged me for years (that, and where the Rhyming Tolkien Words thread is, since I posted "Tirith" a few days back and can only think of one rhyme.)

Am I weird to think lembas were like pop tarts without the filling? In taste, consistency, and texture, I mean, not nutritional value, of course.
No, not Elizabeth; I'll post the answer tomorrow if no one comes up with it sooner.

I think Pop Tart crust probably only tastes like lembas if one is Gollum, for according to Merry, Pippin, and Gimli, lembas tastes quite good; of course it has been quite a while since I have sampled either. Elk Grinning Smilie
was it Nell?
Yes it was Lemaly orangeflower, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who called Sauron "the Black Hand" Question Smilie
gollum
Correct Caudimordax, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Gimli's father Question Smilie
That would be Gloin. Smile Smilie
That's right Gildor inglorion, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What island was named Tol-in-Gaurhoth, and what did it mean Question Smilie
Tol Sirion; "Isle of Werewolves"

Send the pretty bauble i'll earn to UNICEF, pls. You can't say i don't have a heart.
Yeah, I figured: one step behind Miruvor, as always. I had it mixed with Tol Galen and when I went to check spelling caught my error; I should've realized when it was "Tol" and not "Taur." Congrats, Miruvor. Now ask something hard that only you and I know again, Grondy. Elf Winking Smilie
Yes, Miruvor has the correct answer, but I can't send his pretty bauble to UNICEF for they would rightly think I was wasting their time sending them a box of gaseous substance. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Like they won't even last long enough to email. Of course if we could figure out how Loni was stringing hers together, we would probably learn they were also a figment of her imagination, as well as mine.

Who was the brother of Rmil and Orophin Question Smilie
Haldir

I cheated I used google.

But where is that found in the books I don't remember, I will get there on my second time though.
Well googling is next to cheating and it would have been better had you looked it up in the books, if you didn't have it in your memory bank. Still, Caudimordax gets the pretty bauble. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Legolas and the hobbits first met the three elven brothers when they climbed up to the flet in the tree on the outskirts of Lothlorien in FotR, Book II, about thirteen pages into Chapter 6.

What was the name of the metal devised by El Question Smilie
Wasn't it Galvorn?
Just a wild stab in the dark, was it mithril?
Now I know it hasn't been twenty-four hours (unless I did that sleep for thirty-six hours thing again) 'cos I was here yesterday, and I get Galvorn. Oh, well, nice job anyway.
Yes Lemaly orangeflower, you had the correct answer and so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Gandalf give to the Old Took Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>