Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
give us a hintses
It is the first thing Bilbo remembered about Gandalf, even before fireworks.
ooooOOO....diamond studs! and they didn't come lose until they were told to! I like them.Smile Smilie
You got it Lemaly orangeflower and also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of beings were Finglas and Fladrif Question Smilie
Has it been 24 hours...close enough.

They were ents, treeherders

Well, it was only 18.5 hours Caudimordax, but I'll give it to you anyway. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

To figure out how long it has been, you can notice the time differential between the local time you make a post and the time that shows up on that post (currently it reads in terms of British Summer Time on my computer rather than GMT). Then add that differential to your local time when you next consider making a trivia post, and compare that to the time when I posted the question.

What was the name the Dwarves gave to Tom Bombadil; in other words, by what name in their language, did they know him Question Smilie
Forn?
Quote:
To figure out how long it has been, you can notice the time differential between the local time you make a post and the time that shows up on that post (currently it reads in terms of British Summer Time on my computer rather than GMT). Then add that differential to your local time when you next consider making a trivia post, and compare that to the time when I posted the question.

Oh boy! Who would have thought that answering questions on PT involved high mathematics?
Yes Elrose, it was Forn, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did the hobbits find a barrier with a large board saying NO ROAD Question Smilie

Well that time thing was a tad bit verbose, what I should have said is: "Go ahead and make your post, then compare the time of your post to the time I made my post, if the difference is less than 24 hours you had best delete your post. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
The East end of the village of Frogmorton. They were seeking The Floating Log
Correct Caudimordax, another pretty bgauble for you. Happy Elf Smilie

They were called the Apanónar, the Engwar, and the Strangers. Who were they Question Smilie
They were Men...or "the Afterborn" Smile Smilie
Another pretty bauble to Lemaly orangeflower for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What injury did the Silmarils inflict on Melkor Question Smilie
They burned his hand ?
Correct Kratos, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril—it is imaginary—and please read and heed the rule in the first post of this thread before posting your next answer. Happy Elf Smilie

When Faramir surrendered his office of Steward to Aragorn, how did Aragorn react Question Smilie
So, what did Aragorn do or say? Did he break the Staff of Stewardship, pat Faramir on the back, give him a gold watch, and say, "Thank you, thank you very much for your family's longtime service. Now, if you need a job, we have unfilled slots for both City Dog Catcher and a Sanitary Engineer, send us your resume if you are interested in either," or what?
Quote:
Did he break the Staff of Stewardship, pat Faramir on the back, give him a gold watch, and say, "Thank you, thank you very much for your family's longtime service. Now, if you need a job, we have unfilled slots for both City Dog Catcher and a Sanitary Engineer, send us your resume if you are interested in either
yep

or he made him the prince of Ithilen or something, i dont want to check
Okay, I can wait. But I refuse to hold my breath. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
He gave Faramir Ithilien, and made him a prince.

(Sorry if you were waiting for someone else to answer...)
Actually, Aragorn declared that the Office of Steward should continue as long as Faramir's line lasted. He didn't make Faramir the Prince of Ithilien until later, after he passed judgement on Beregond for leaving his post and spilling blood in the Hallows. Nobody gets the pretty-bauble this time, sorry.

Moving on with something a little easier?

Name two rivers that flowed through Fangorn. Question Smilie
Entwash, Limlight.
Correct Miruvor, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In the lore of Living Creatures, hawk was the swiftest and swan the whitest. What was the coldest Question Smilie
Of course the serpent.
You got it Caudimordax, and a pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

From what steed of Valinor were the greatest of the Rohirrim's horses said to have been descended Question Smilie
The mearas were brought to Middle-Earth by Oromë, and that's all there's to say about that. Felaróf, the ancestor of Shadowfax, didn't come from Valinor.

About Shadowfax, I still hear Gandalf whistling in my nightmares... Shaking Head Smilie
I based my question of the following from RotK Appendix A, Part II The House of Eorl:
Quote:
It was upon Felaróf that Eorl rode to the Field of Celebrant; for that horse proved as long lived as Men. and so were his descendants. These were the mearas, who would bear no one but the King of the Mark or his sons, until the time of Shadowfax. Men said of them that Béma (whom the Eldar call Oromë) must have brought their sire from West over Sea.
Okay, so I messed up. In that case: What was the name of Oromë's horse, who wasn't Shadowfax's great-great-...-great grandparent Question Smilie
Nahar.
Okay Miruvor, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

To whom did Elessar give the Forest of Drúadan for ever Question Smilie
He gave the forest to Ghan-buri-Ghan and his people.
That is the correct answer Lemaly orangeflower, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the Moriquendi Question Smilie
The Dark Elves who never saw the light of the Two Trees. They were unwilling to make the journey to Valinor.
Correct Rivendellelf1977, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who first cultivated Pipe-weed.
I believe it was Tobold Hornblower; I know it was Tobold something ("Old Toby" who gave his name to the leaf.)

I'm neglecting the twenty four hour rule because a) I'm unsure of the last name, and b) the last time I adhered to it I lost out on the Moriquendi Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
You got it Moramber, and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

NOTE: The 24 hour rule only applies if you correctly guessed the answer to the last question. So for Moramber the clock starts now; everyone else is free to hazard a guess at any time.

What did Bilbo spot on the far bank of the black stream Question Smilie
Ho ho, I did not realize it was that specific, sorry, Grondy (and thanks, Grondy.)
The Ring ?
gollum?
No, at this time Bilbo and the Dwarves were in Mirkwood, the Ring was in his pocket, and Gollum remained under the Misty Mountains on the other side of the Great River Anduin, he hoped. And if you need a bigger hint: Bombur had not yet taken his nap.
I suppose it was a ghost of some sort ? They shot all their arrows at it.
Wasnt it the boat which got them across?? In Mirkwood??
there was that deer... but I guess it's that boat or raft or something like that...
It was the boat on the far bank that only Bilbo could see. So Isawien gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How old was Bilbo when he gave his farewell party Question Smilie
111....it was his eleventy first birthday....Smile Smilie
You got it Lemaly orangeflower and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

To which family had the office of Thain fallen Question Smilie
I believe that would be the Tooks, though I think it ultimately wound up with the Gamidges.
Yes and no, it remained the hereditary office of the Tooks, being passed on from Thain Peregrin (Pippin) to his son when he and Master Holdwine (Meriadoc/Merry) left the Shire for the last time to go to Rohan and Gondor. Anyway, Morambar gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where was 'There'... Question Smilie
The Lonely Mountain?
Yes Lemaly orangeflower, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said, 'You have nice manners for a thief and a liar.' Question Smilie
Smaug the Golden. Theme?
That's the guilty culprit Morambar, so you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which dwarf carried Bilbo on his back as they ran away to escape the goblins under the Misty Mountains Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>