Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
You got all three Ithil: the hint, the correct answer, and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What tower was guarded by the Two Watchers Question Smilie
Cirith Ungol ?
Correct Kratos, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In Farmer Giles 0f Ham, at the King's Christmas Feast, what was served in place of Dragon's Tail Question Smilie
A fake dragon tail, I believe it was a cake-type food.
Yup, it was Caudimordax, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
But for many years now the Royal Cook had made a marvelous confection, a Mock Dragon's Tail of cake and almond-paste, with cunning scales of hard icing-sugar. The Mock Dragon's Tail was eaten after dinner on Christmas Day, and everybody said (to please the cook) that it tasted much better than Real Tail. - from Farmer Giles of Ham

Who said: 'I don't need your service, thank you, but I expect you need mine.' Question Smilie
oo oo oooo!
If I remember correctly Beorn quipped that line.
You remembered correctly Mungo, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What color were the butterflys that Bilbo saw above the roof of Mirkwood Question Smilie
hmm, some little voice in me tells me they're black. Or purple.
I'll go with black
I believe it was Al-Pharazon the Golden who was corrupted by Sauron, resulting in the attempted attack on Valinor that lead to the destruction of Numenor. Do I win something, or just bragging rights? Smile Smilie
I , in this thread, people mostly try to answer the last question asked.
So you won't be getting something, except maybe confused looks.
your bragging was impressive though Smile Smilie
Kratos was correct in going with black rather than purple. For Bilbo had expected them to be 'purple emperors' that love the tops of oakwoods; however, they were a dark dark velvety black without any markings and he called them 'black emporers'. So Kratos gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose ship was called Alcarondas Question Smilie

Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
i'm goin g to say a numenorien prince, might be Earindel but i'm so sick i dont feel like looking it up.
Sorry, that isn't the correct answer.
make a sick man look it up......Ar-Pharazon? when he sailed to Aman?
Now you have it Elrose, and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what was Niphredil Question Smilie
Was it a flower?
Yes Elen, it was a small flower found only in Neldoreth (white) and Lothlórien (white and pale green). They also may have grown in the gardens of Irmo in Valinor, but the Silmarilion is silent on this. Anyway, Elen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Pippin's father Question Smilie
easy! Paladin Took! or im wrong and stupid....
Correct Elrose, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the last words written by Ori in the record of Balin's people Question Smilie
They are coming....

"We cannot get out"?

unfortunately my paperback set is lent out to a friend and I have misplaced the first volume of my hardback set, so I cannot check without going to a library
hehehe you were right with They are coming but it looks like you were guessing We cannot get out...

answer: They are comingit was written in a elvish script, neh?
Shucks, I won't be that picky Elrose, I'll give the pretty bauble to Elanorraine for just the first part of the her answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was named the Father of Dragons Question Smilie
y not? o well was it Glaurung the Golden?
Yes Elrose, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the only city in Valinor Question Smilie
was it alqualonde?
Valimar
You got it with 'Valimar' (also known as 'Valmar') Elen; 'Alqualonde' was more of a seaport and settlement of Elves. Anyway Elen gets another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was most dangerous about the wound inflicted on Frodo by the Nazgûl Lord Question Smilie
Was it that he (Frodo ) could become a Nazgul himself before he got help from Elrond ?
the fact that a splinter of the blade remained in the wound?
Well in retrospect this was not a good question, for the answer was supposed to be "because the splinter, a fragment from the blade was still in the wound and was working its way towards Frodo's heart", but the most dangerous aspect of this was that once it penetrated Frodo's heart, he would become a wraith himself, under the dominion of the Dark Lord, which would be much worse than merely dying. Therefore, I'll award Mellon and Ithil each a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

List the eight Aratar.
That would be the Valar:

Manwë, Oromë, Ulmo, Mandos, Nienna, Varda, Aulë and Yavanna.
Correct Tommie; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie Are you back in Minsk again or home in Belgium?

What road led from Bree to Rivendell Question Smilie
Might it be called the Greenway?
No, the Greenway ran north-south through Bree; this one ran east-west. Sorry.
the East road? see what a bit of playing T2T can mayb do?
Actually it was called the 'Great East Road' though I don't know if their was another road named 'East Road' or a 'Lesser East Road'. But Elroses answer was close enough for the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What were Gandalf's last words to Bilbo and the Dwarves before they entered Mirkwood Question Smilie
mer her knowing Gandalf like I dont "I have more important matters to attend to then the pride of an outcast king and the shortcomings of a hobbit!" *thats a guess...its wrong....*
I believe Gandalf's last words were "Don't leave the path!", but I'll have to double check...

Quote:
"Good-bye! Be good, take care of yourselves - and DON'T LEAVE THE PATH!"

Back in Belgium, Grondy, but tremendously busy, so I can't spare much time online. But I'll drop a line now and then. Animated Wink Smilie
Mungo has the quote and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who forged Narsil and Angrist Question Smilie

Telchar
Correct Elrose, another pretty bauble to you. Happy Elf Smilie

Who does the following describe, 'Their captain was ______, grim-voiced and grim-faced, whose friends had accused him of prophesying floods and poisoned fish, though they knew his worth and courage.' Question Smilie
That would be Bard.
You got it Mungo, and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Sorry I wasn't around this weekend, but my daughter and grandson were visiting me and I didn't have time to get here. Anyway...

Who wrote to his father, saying that The Hobbit was 'good and shoiuld appeal to all children between the ages of 5 and 9' Question Smilie
oooo i know this, if i had the book So Angry Smilie anyhey the dad was someone like Allen or Unwin or something....so yeah
Well, we have 'Unwin' for his surname, now we only need the junior reviewer's given name, which is unique in my part of the woods, for I had never heard it until I read it in the Prologue. Happy Elf Smilie
could have sworn i read it in Letters....
His name was Rainer (if I'm not mistaken with spelling, coz I read the Letters in russian)
Yes Elen, it was Rayner Unwin, the son of Tolkien's publisher, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which of the Noldar is credited with first discovering Men in Beleriand and what did they call him Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>