Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Maglor is correct Floyd_n_milan so you get the pretty bauble, which here on Planet-Tolkien, is a euphemism for a Pseudo-Silmaril, which is a ephemeral bit of imaginary glass and which is said to sublimate prior to ever being received by its awardee due to the flawed manufacturing process. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was said to have written the poem "The Stone Troll" Question Smilie
I think it was Sam, wasn't it?
Bone him!
Stone him!
he stole my answer! :P
Yes Mungo, it was Samwise Gamgee, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie
Who was Captain of the Tower of Cirith Ungol when Frodo was imprisoned there Question Smilie
Shagrat ?
Yep, Kratos gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What injuriy did the Silmarils inflict on Melkor Question Smilie
burning?
Yes, the burning of his hands, so Elrose gets another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of the island upon which the Dunedain dwelt in the Second Age Question Smilie
u might be darn...24 hours...
Nmenor.
Gildor inglorion has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Boromir vainly try to summon help before he was killed Question Smilie
Blowing the Alphorn of Gondor.

No wonder they could hear it all the way to Minas Tirith and Ithilin.
Yes, its eight plus foot lenghth really slowed him down when he had to scramble through the tight spots in Kahzad-dum; and Aragorn and Gandalf got ticked off when out of the blue it would poke them in the back or trip them up. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Miruvor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Treebreard illuminate the inside of Wellinghall Question Smilie
By...using... the water in his stone bowls. He moved his hand over them...and they lighted up. Didnt they?
Yes he did Etharion, too bad Sam couldn't have been there to see it, he always was on the lookout for Ent magic. Elk Grinning Smilie You get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What standard did Theoden fell at the Battle of Pelennor Fields Question Smilie
the southrons?
The standard of the Black Serpent. Theoden hewed down the staff barrier with his own sword and then poked the leader in the back with a spear.
Yes Lord_aragorn86, it was the standard of the Black Serpant on a red background. It belonged to the Chieftain of the Haradrim, who were the Southrons.

After the Battle of Five Armies, whom did Dain crown with gold Question Smilie
Bard?
No, it wasn't Bard.
Was it Bilbo?
Nope, nor Bilbo.
Hint: His race starts with E and though they are as old as the Ents, he wasn't one of those, nor an Elf, nor an Oliphaunt, nor an Elk. Elk Grinning Smilie
Lord of the Eagles!! I think he's Gwahir, but I don't know if his name is given in the Hobbit or if he is just named in LOTR?

Yes, Gwaihir the Windlord, king of the Eagles. Thats the one. Of the Great Eagles of the Misty Mountains.
I don't think Gwaihir is named in the Hobbit. The "chief of the eagles" is crowned with gold, and earlier he is referred to as the "Great eagle" and "Lord of the eagles", but I don't think Gwaihir is named as lord of the eagles until LOTR.
Could their have been an election in the 60 years between the books? Perhaps eagles have a term of office?
It is probably Gwaihir Lord of the Great Eagles, whom we assume, along with the Ents, are Maiar according to 'Of Aul and Yavanna' of The Silmarillion,and being such are so long lived that he would still be in charge. However, in RotK after Sauron and the Black Tower fell:
Quote:
'Twice you have borne me, Gwaihar my friend,' said Gandalf. 'Thrice shall pay for all, if you are willing. You will not find me a burden much greater than when you bore me from Zirakzigil, where my old life burned away.'
Which means once was from Isengard to the outskirts of Edoras, twice was from the mountain peak above Khazad-dm, and thrice would be to rescue Frodo and Sam from the lava flows of Orodruin, which doesn't leave a trip to rescue Fifteen birds in five firtrees. But this has been a digression anyway, for were speaking of the Battle of Five Armies, not provideing taxi service for Istari, so I'm buying into it being Gwaihir in both stories. Mungo gets the pretty bauble and I think the Eagles made a parlementary ruling that declared an election at that time was out of order. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What were collected in the Wells of Varda Question Smilie
That would be the dew from the Two Trees, which the inhabitants of Valinor then used for light and refreshment. Ungoliant found them very tasty too, and finished them off.
Valedhelgwath gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Which hobbit-clan had a reputation for adventurousness even before Bilbo's adventures Question Smilie
The Fallowhides.

Much of their adventurous escapades can be discovered in JRRT's rather unknown work "The Fallowhideship of the Ring".
Quote:
Which means once was from Isengard to the outskirts of Edoras, twice was from the mountain peak above Khazad-dm, and thrice would be to rescue Frodo and Sam from the lava flows of Orodruin, which doesn't leave a trip to rescue Fifteen birds in five firtrees.

Actually, it were Landroval and Meneldor that picked up the hobbits and carried them away.

Gwaihir just carried Gandalf. Apparently he didn't want to lower himself to carrying two hair-footed schmucks.
Sorry Miruvor, I can't accept that answer, for the volume you have referenced is so rare that it doesn't even have an ISBN. But your play on words is funny. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

And those so called smucks wouldn't have stood much of a chance if Gandalf, riding upon Gwaihir, hadn't accompanied the other two Eagles in order to point out the only two living smucks wondering about on the side of an active volcano. Without Gandalf and Gwaihir, Landroval and Meneldor wouldn't have risked their beautiful plumage in the airborn hot ash and fiery lava spraying forth from Mt. Doom.
Isn't it the Tooks that are known for their adventuresome nature?

I think I remember something about Bilbo's adventurous Tookish side vs. the sensible Baggins side.
Yes, the Tooks is the answer for which I was looking. Mungo gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which three dwarves, formerly in Thorin's company, are mentioned among those who disappeared into the darkness of Moria Question Smilie
Oh! boy a 3 parter.

Balin in knew off the bat, but the book helped me with the other 2.
Ori and Oin.

So my final answer: Balin, Ori, and Oin.
Correct Caudimordax, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The Shire was devided into how many Farthings Question Smilie
logically 4 North south east and west...but thats just me...
The Shire actually had more than 1,000,000 fartings, especially after the perennial "Great Beans Festival" in Buckland.

Quote:
And those so called smucks wouldn't have stood much of a chance if Gandalf, riding upon Gwaihir, hadn't accompanied the other two Eagles in order to point out the only two living smucks wondering about on the side of an active volcano. Without Gandalf and Gwaihir, Landroval and Meneldor wouldn't have risked their beautiful plumage in the airborn hot ash and fiery lava spraying forth from Mt. Doom.

Don't make this a 'owyn or Merry?' discussion.

I didn't say Gwaihir and Gandalf didn't play a role, i only pointed out that the 'schmucks' Meneldor and Landroval played a role too.
Correct Elrose, sometimes the simplest answer is the best; so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Why had the Wargs come to the same glade as Thorin's company Question Smilie
They were going to sack a human town nearby with the goblins and were meeting the goblins there. I think.
That is it Eva Lilith, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Bilbo first steal from Smaug's hoard Question Smilie
The little thief Bilbo knicked off with a great two-handled cup.
Correct Mungo, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said,"If I was after the Ring, I could have it NOW!" Question Smilie
Aragorn aka Strider said that in a room in the Prancing Pony Inn when he was conversing with the hobbits Frodo, Sam and Pippin while sitting near the fireplace.
Keerect Lord_aragorn86, you get the Pseudo-Silmarill. Happy Elf Smilie

By what Sindarin name were the Misty Mountains also known Question Smilie
Hithaeglir?
Correct Mungo, you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who called the Dwarves 'Gonnhirrim' and what did it mean Question Smilie
I want to say the Gondorians (is that what you would call them?) and... ground people????
No, this was a few millenia earlier. See Page One of Chapter Ten in The Silmarillion.
And the answer is: the Grey-elves (the Sindar) and it means 'Masters of Stone'. Teacher Smilie

And the winner is: no one this time. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Which river joined the Anduin between the Falls of Rauros and Cair Andros Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>