Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Háma it was; Gildor Inglorion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which chapter in which book starts out with, "The talk did not die down in nine or even ninety-nine days." Question Smilie
At last, I'm able to get back here, and it only took me, what, a fortnight? Finally!Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 2, Shadows of the Past
Wb Fionwë Urion, for the correct answer, except you forgot to say Book One (there are two Chapters 2 in FotR), you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Sindarin name for Weathertop Question Smilie
Amon Sul. Though I think the "u" had a tilde, but I'm not sure.
Yup, and you can make make that û by holding down the Alt key while pressing 0251and then letting it go to. So Morambar gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of one of the Elves that the hobbits came across near Woodstock Question Smilie
Can you give me more information ? I dont know what Woodstock is ? (or is it cheating asking for more help)
Woodstock is a rock festival in the American state New YorK.

I reckon our riddler meant Woodhall.
I know what Woodstook is Vir but thanks for changing the name in the riddleSmile Smilie
Ah Shucks!!! Sorry, my age is showing. I did mean 'Woodhall'. So the question is:

What was the name of one of the Elves that the hobbits came across near Woodhall Question Smilie
Gildor Inglorion.
You got it Virumor, and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the former name of Minas Tirith, and what did it mean?
Minas Anor "The tower of the Sun"
That's it Mellon, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who hungered for and devoured light Question Smilie
Ungoliant.
Keereckt Morambar, you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who treated a wound on Merry's forehead Question Smilie
Dr Quinn, medicine woman.
Ugluk the Orc
Yes, Uglúg was the one, except he was he was an Uruk-hai, so Maydmarion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What color are Orc skins Question Smilie
Maroon 666
Dirty.......lol hehe.......sorry Wink Smilie
Greyish?
Thought they were jet black, but could be wrong. And since when are Uruk-Hai not Orcs? It seems implicit in "Uruk."
If you were to ask an Uruk-hai if he was an Orc, I'll bet he'd be mad at you, with something like: "Orc weak, Uruk strong; Orc scared of Sun, Uruk spit on Sun; Orc stupid, Uruk smart; you not smart, you insult Uruk, calling Uruk an Orc." Orc Going Huh Smilie

Nevertheless, black is the color I was looking for, so Morambar gets the pretty bauble.

What happened to Saruman after Grima killed him Question Smilie
Meh. Saying an Uruk is not an Orc is like saying a Mann is not a man. I'll take the Psuedo-Silmaril with much thanks though, and lie in wait for the next....
No, Uruk-hai aren't really Orcs, more a hybrid of Man and Orc.

As for Saruman : his body was dragged through the streets of Hobbiton by the victorious Hobbits, after which it was hacked in a thousand pieces and scattered in all directions.
attempted answer to Grondy's question;

i think the last we do see of Saruman is his spirit going up and look over the west and dissolved to nothing as a western wind blew
Obviously Virumor left the theatre prior to the end of PJ's movie. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Loss has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who 'chanted a song of wizardry, of piercing, opening, of treachery' Question Smilie
Gorthaur the Cruel, or Sauron if you prefer. Unless I'm mixing them up, in which case I'll feel stupid. Again.
No, it was clearly the Phantom of the Opera.
No, it really was Sauron as told in the 'Lay of Leithian' as written in The Silmarillion, Chapter 19, which is entitled 'Of Beren and Lúthien'. So Morambar gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What tower was guarded by the Two Watchers Question Smilie
cirith ungol????
I feel a little guilty about this, because I think Caudimordax was really thinking of this one, but I believe it was Minas Morgul, not Cirith Ungol.
Nah, it was Cirith Ungol, which was guarded by Dipsy and Tinky-Winky.

*retracts 1000 mithril from Morambar's account*
My Evil Overlord won't let me watch Tinky-Winky, ya know, 'cos he's evil. Which you'd think would make them the best of friends, but I don't pretend to understand the guy. I prefer Homey-Womey.
As Virumor said, Tailbiter has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

So, what was Tailbiter's latin name and who owned it at the end of the story. Question Smilie
Umm... Caudimordax GAVE his Latin name, didn't he? And I believe it was Farmer Giles, but I"m ashamed to admit I remember it from PT rather than the book. I need to read my doublet again.
Yes, so Morambar gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'
I'm back again, busy week.
Theoden, I believe, is the correct answer.
I noticed Grep fixed the smilie link, wonderful!!
No, that was a line of Mad Max from Mad Max : Beyond Thunderdome.
Nope, Theoden had been crushed under Snowmane when this occurred.

You are mistaken Virumor, that quote was: 'Life! Fly, fly back home and to a new beginning!'
Answer : Éomer, after seeing his sister lie next to Théoden, and thinking she was dead too.
You got it this time Virumor and also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In what region of Middle-earth did Mirkwood lie, and what did that mean in English Question Smilie
i havent had nything to do w/ LOTR for a real long time but

north western in the third age, in some other age it probably steretched all the way don to mor of a central.southern region but not really far south of course.
and it meant shadow wood
no, gloom wood
I'm looking for the name of the region on the maps, and the English name of that region.
I believe the region is Rhovanion, means wilderland.
Thats the only region i can think of that is in that area. Smile Smilie
That's it Thingol, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which host of the Eldar were called the Falmari, and what did it mean Question Smilie
The Teleri - those of the waves, the foamriders, the sea elves?
Yes Maydmarion, I was looking for the first two of your list, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Snaga of Cirith Ungol die Question Smilie
Ooooo, I HATE these 50/50s. I believe Sam pushed him through the ladder hole though, but maybe I've got the wrong one.
You've got the right Snaga, but Sam didn't push him, after Sam slashed his whip hand from his arm with Sting, (I had missed that grisly bit prior to today) the orc charged and knocking Sam down, tripped over the ladder head and fell through the hole to his death with a broken neck. Morambar gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

After corresponding with a real Sam Gamgee, from whom did Tolkien fear receiving a letter Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>