Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
ummm
Lord Sauron?
wheeeeee
smeagol , gollum - something like that cant remember exactly
the guys lawyer? Happy Elf Smilie
Golden_red has it, "S. Gollum" was the name. She gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie Luckily I don't believe he/she ever took umbrage, if he/she ever existed.

Elessar appointed Pippin to what office Question Smilie
He was made a Counsellor of the North-Kingdom
He was made court jester.
No Virumor, Elf With a Big Grin Smilie I think PJ appointed that job to Gimli. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Yes Lemaly Orangeflower, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

To which peak did the Endless Stair in Khazad-dm lead Question Smilie
The peak to which the endless stair climbs to is Zirak-zigil.
Correct Thingol, it is also known as Celebdil. You get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who slew Smaug Question Smilie
beug bowman
or beoom or something
idk
No, it was neither Beleg nor Beorn.
Too easy old man...

Bard, a.k.a The Bowman of the Lake-Town
I thought it was. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Asteroth gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the only city in Valinor Question Smilie

Valimar or Valmar????
No, I believe it was Las Vegas. Or perhaps Salt Lake City?
Is Kor-Tirion (or just Tirion in the Silm) considered not to be in Valinor? I know that's the position in HoME because both the Exiles and Eriol/Aelfwine are allowed to reside/abide there (but NEITHER is welcome in Valinor itself.) That's fine for questions like these, but begs the additional question of just WHERE (Kor-)Tirion is? Middle-earth Way, Way WAY West? And what about Alqualonde? Didn't the Teleri live there, not just use it as a dock?
Caudimordax has the correct answer, as are both spellings. He gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

I transfered Moramber's above question to our Places thread under Kor-Tirion . Look for it there and please make your comments about it there rather than here.

Without using the book, list five of the seven sons of Fnor, for double the prize; else use it and list all seven for the single prize. The honor system will be at work here and only you will know if you cheat, so don't and feel the better for it. Angel Smilie
Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy and Sneezy.
I know Fanor was an Elf, and those weren't Elven names. If I remember correctly those were the names Uncle Walt gave to a household of Dwarven miners. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
was Elrond one??
my mind has gone blank...oh oh how about beorn, not the one in the hobbit but the elvish one. was he elvish??? It has been to long since my last reading of the silm.
amrod amras maglor maehdros celegorm - i cant remember any others
Golden_red's Amrod, Amras, Maglor, Maehdros, and Celegorm are correct (maybe too correct due to the correct spelling). Elf Winking Smilie Her missing two are Caranthir and Curufin. Anyway she gets a brace of pretty baubles. Happy Elf Smilie

What news did Legolas bring to the Council of Elrond Question Smilie
something about one named smeagol???
If it helps, Grondy, I believe it's Maedhros, not Maehdros (pronounced with the soft "th," you see.) I couldn't remember Caranthir, for some reason, but I suppose it's a moot point now. The tricky ones are Amrod and Amras, since they do little besides get killed trying to rob Elwing of the Silmaril. And, of course, it was through Curufin that much of Feanors skill was preserved in Celebrimbor. How different is the History of Middle-earth if Feanor is never born? The War of the Ring is less than thirty pages, IIRC, in the hardbound Silmarillion, but, through the Rings of Power, the War of the Ring is very much the final chapter of Quenta Silmarillion.
Legolas told that Gollum had escaped when the guards had taken him outside to get a bit of fresh air.
Legolas sent word that Mordor had started with uranium enrichment.
Quote:
If it helps, Grondy, I believe it's Maedhros, not Maehdros
Yes, my eyes also made the typo when I checked the spelling before copying it and adding the caps.
Amari has the correct answer to the Legolas question, so she gets the Pseudo-Silmaril.

What road crossed the River Poros Question Smilie
Elu Caesarw, yelling out "Alea iacta est!".
Hint: Look in South Ithilien
As far as i know the only road to cross the River Poros is the Harad Road...
I think it's called the South Road.
Harad Road it is; Beren gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What weapons did the Balrog of Khazad-dm wield when it faced Gandalf Question Smilie
A fiery whip and nipple clamps.
Virumor: What are nipple clamps? Moderator Smilie (And you better make this suitable for a family friendly website.)
A flaming sword and whip of fire.

Quote:
Virumor: What are nipple clamps? (And you better make this suitable for a family friendly website.)

If they are what I'm thinking they are, it's not family friendly.
Quote:
Virumor: What are nipple clamps?

A nipple clamp is a clamp used to stimulate the nipples by applying varying degrees of pressure. It was used in the Middle Ages as a torturing device.
Fionw Urion has the correct answer and a pretty bauble.

'The face of _________ was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was written the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful.' Who did this describe Question Smilie

Okay Virumor, I thought it might have been a tool plumbers and pipefitters use for holding very short pieces of pipe, which are threaded on each end for the attachment of valves, elbows, and tees. There are only two major rules in pipefitting: it don't run uphill and don't lick your fingers. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Ummm.....Galadriel?
Sorry, but it wasn't her.
Elrond.
Yeah, I also think it is Elrond, but Viru got to it before me Sad Smilie
Yes that was the description of Elrond as Frodo first saw him at the feast in Rivendell, that is written in the Chapter of FotR intitled 'Many Meeetings". Virumor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Name the three houses of the Edain: can you Question Smilie
This is an easy one.
The house of Beor
The house of Haleth
The house of Hador
Yes, Thingol has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

'House of Haladin' was later called 'House of Haleth' and 'People of Haleth' after Lady Haleth their leader. Teacher Smilie

How many major battles were there during the Wars of Beleriand Question Smilie
Battle-upon-Melkor's-return-versus-Doriath-or-whatever; Dagor-nuin-Giliath; Dagor Aglareb; Dagor Bragollach; Nirnaeth Arnoediad and War of Wrath.

Hence, the answer is 6.
I will guess 7 just in case Virumor miscounted
The Fall of Gondolin was pretty major, as was the Sack of Nargothrond. The battle in which Beren and the Doriath refugees/Nandor avenged Thingol at the ford wasn't minor, nor the battle in which Dior died killing (IIRC) Amrod and Amras. It really depends on what you consider "major."
Quote:
nor the battle in which Dior died killing (IIRC) Amrod and Amras.

Dior died killing Celegorm & Curufin. Amrod & Amras died during the attacks on the settlements in the Mouths of Sirion.
Virumor has them and there were just six listed in the index to The Silmarillion. Some were listed by only battle number as with the first one; others by number, common name, and Elven name.

Who was the father of Uldor, Ulfast, and Ulwarth Question Smilie
Ulfang?
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>