Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
I'm gonna say the "Of the Ainur" chapter of the Silm, even though I'm probably wrong.
"Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age".
Arrrrggg, i knew that one too, i was just a few hours out Orc Smiling Smilie, you are a fast one Vir!
Virumor has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who replaced Thorin as King under the Mountain Question Smilie
Dain II 'Ironfoot' was the new King under the Moutain, when Thorin died in the Battle of The Five Armies
Correct Loss, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what threatened to squeeze Merry in two Question Smilie
That would have been Old Man Willow??? Then dear ole Tom Bombadillio came and saved them with that classic tune *starts to whistle*
You got it Loss; Orc Sad Smilie however, you forgot about our 24 hour rule, which is only applicable to this thread. Orc Grinning Smilie

Why did the name Boromir mean so much to the Rangers of Ithilien Question Smilie
This is an easy one. The Rangers of Ithilien were led by Faramir who was Boromir's brother.
Correct Elendae, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie (They, the pretty baubles, as you probably already know, are more of an honorary award. We haven't been able to obtain FŰanor's recipe and without the light of the Two Trees they seem sublimate during shipment to the awardee.) Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who was famous for growing the crop of mushrooms Question Smilie
farmer maggot.
Elrose has the answer and a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What did ╔owyn and ╔omer give to Merry as a farewell present Question Smilie
A silverhorn
Yup, a Dwarven made horn of silver, which was engraved with horsemen spiraling around it and it came with a green shoulder strap. It was part of Scatha's hoard and Eorl had brought it with him from out of the North as an heirloom of the Rohirrim. Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did the Orcs and Elves fight the first battle of the Wars of Beleriand Question Smilie
This one's a bit tricky as the forces of Morgoth split to surround Menegroth (I believe that was the aim), but I'm fairly sure the eastern force of Orcs were engaged before the western force. Therefore, I think the first battle was fought "north of the Andram and midway between Aros and Gelion" [Silmarillion, page 96] ending with the death of Denethor on Amon Ereb, which was avenged by Thingol to end the battle.
Well I was after 'the valley of the River Gelion', which is a little too simplistic. Elendae's above answer is much better so he gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who unwittingly sent Gandalf to imprisonment in Orthanc Question Smilie
Radagast the Brown.
He is the Istar that done the non-dastardly deed, so Virumor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Saruman wish the Necromancer to remain in Dol Guuldor Question Smilie
Because he wanted that THE ONE RING should revale itself
Correct Mellon, he wanted it to reveal itself; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who sang the following Question Smilie
Quote:
The dragon is withered,
His bones are now crumbled;
His armour is shivered,
His splendor is humbled!
It was the elves of Imladris singing to Bilbo and Gandalf when they returned from Erebor.
Yes Elendae, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In what month and year was the Fellowship of the Ring published Question Smilie
29 July 1954 - admittedly I had to look up the answer... Sorry Grondy - knew the year but not the month.
No problem Tin˙viel, I didn't know the day of the month. Anyway Tin˙viel gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie
Someone forgot to post the question yesterday; I wonder who that was. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Of what material was the Tower of Orthanc made Question Smilie
Unbreakable rock/stones
Yes Mellon, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

I always liked to think it was made of a tempered obsidian, which wasn't brittle like natural obsidian, which comes in reddish-brown and black; it is quite glass-like and the far-western American Indians had an expanded trade in it as it could be into knives, scrapers, and spear and arrow heads just like flint. It is found in great abundance in central Oregon.

Who advised Farmer Giles of Ham to take some rope with him as he was preparing to hunt Chrysophylaz, the dragon.
Oh I borrowed this book at the library a long time ago and I had to look this up ..sorry but the answer you are looking for is :THE PRIEST I thinkHappy Elf Smilie
Yes, it was the Parson (Priest/Cleric) but as Mellon answered it inside my 24 hour rule, he doesn't get the pretty bauble. Sorry. Orc Sad Smilie

Who said 'My poor legs, my poor legs!' Question Smilie
Legless the Elf
Quote:
..but as Mellon answered it inside my 24 hour rule , he doesn't get...

Grondy sir , I am a lady and mother of four.. it should have been SHE doesn't get Big Laugh Smilie
Quote:
You got it Loss; Orc Sad Smilie however, you forgot about our 24 hour rule, which is only applicable to this thread. Orc Grinning Smilie

i am sorry, but i have an annoying situation, the time you log on is the time when i am asleep, and vice-versa, so by the time i get to log on in the evening at my time it has already been answered, so i posted that one as i rarely see this thread with a question unanswered

haha Mellon is a lady, i thought everyone knew that Orc Grinning Smilie
Everyone might've known, but did anyone know? And while we're at it, did someone know?
well i knew............. although once i must admit i did assume she was a he, but that was a while back, when i was young and reckless......
My bad! Elf Confused Smilie I also knew Mellon was called Mom, and I had her so listed in the first post of our Gender ID Thread under the Forsaken Inn.

Now back to the question: No it wasn't Legless; this sentient being was in a different book. So the question remains: Who said 'My poor legs, my poor legs!' Question Smilie
Could it be Bilbo ? Felling tired on his adventure ? Just a guess in the nigth Smile Smilie
No, Bilbo had moaned "my arms, my arms!"
Ok Smile Smilie then it has to be Dori
Yes Mother Mellon, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What colour were the butterflies that Bilbo saw above the roof of Mirkwood Question Smilie
Wild guess...Blue?
BLACK, of course. MUHAHAetc.... Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Morambar has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the two chief ports of the Falas Question Smilie
Dunno what you exactly mean.. But its either Pelargir and Umbar, or Edhellond and Dol Amroth.
No, Falas, before it was submerged with the rest of Belerian, was located to the south of Nevrast.
Eglarest and Brithombar.
That's them Virumor; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the Dark Elf of Nam Elmoth Question Smilie

edited: Oops! Orc Sad Smilie I left part of the place name off; it is back now. Sorry.
I think this question is hard.and I'm not sure if you are looking for.but I'll trySmile Smilie The meaning of
Nam Elmoth The Moriquendi were the elves that did not join the great journey over the sea.
They wore black clothes and weapons and could also be looked upon as villians or even orcs
but I cant find only one of the elves that you are looking for in the books.sorry but I hope someone else or even yoy Grondy can give me the answer thenSmile Smilie
Eol
Golden_red has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

We have to have a hard one to balance some of the easy ones. I could have asked 'where did E÷l live', which would have been easier; easier to look up anyway.

Who took Merry and Pippin to his house during the Entmoot Question Smilie
That would be Bregalad
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>