Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
The delicious lembas, elvish waybread.
Halbard has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

From whose fountains in Lórien do the dwellers of all Valinor draw refreshment Question Smilie
Hint: The answer can be found on the fifth page of 'Valaquenta' in The Silmarillion.
Okay, so no one know: The answer was Irmo (Lorién) and Estë (Ainu)

What is another name for the Dwarven city of "Tumunzahar" Question Smilie

Nogrod ?
That's the place Mellon, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to Aragorn when he served Ecthelion II Question Smilie
Or to put it another way: what name did Aragorn go by when he was working for Theoden and Denethor's fathers?
I thought and thought about this one, and I knew it meant Eagle of something and began with Th, then it hit me: Thorongil (spelling might be a bit off though) He used that name to serve the Lords of Rohan and Gondor when he was young Orc Smiling Smilie
That's it Loss; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The town of Esgaroth stood on what lake Question Smilie
On the Long Lake?
Etharion has the answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did the Elves of Nargothrond not slay Beren Question Smilie
Beacause he showed them the ring of Felagund
That's it Mellon, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who asked Gandalf to lay aside his staff Question Smilie
Peregrin?
Hama?
Thorin has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What chapter begins with the following words, 'So it was that in the light of a fair morning King Théoden and Gandalf the White Rider met again upon the green grass beside the Deeping-stream.' Question Smilie
Nope, not going to proved a hint on this one. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
The road to isengard.

oops i forgot about this thread
Yes Thorin, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril, because you waited the required time, thanks. Happy Elf Smilie

By what name did Ghân-buri-Ghân call Orcs Question Smilie
Theoden ?
He called the orcs gorgun, right? Umm...what did you mean Mellon by Theoden??
Sorry I think I mixed some answers in another threadSmile Smilie My faultSmile Smilie
Etharion has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

I resemble the problem Mellon: I do it all the time; sometimes I have answered the old question on the bottom of a thread's penultimate page instead of the last page. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What is the English equivalent of the Elvish word "Tol" Question Smilie
Tol Eressea is on Eastern coast of Aman, like a little Island off it, so I'll go with Island Elf Confused Smilie
Island or isle is the correct answer Loss, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why were the Fellowship unable to pass through the Redhorn Gate Question Smilie
Because of a snow drift blocking the way.
Well Thorin, that bit of a snowdrift is rather an understatement, but as I've caught your drift, I'll accept it. The real answer is because Caradhras/Barazinbar threatened to throw more than wind, snow and, rocky avalanches at them were they to continue. And had they done so, there weren't even 'one-walled houses' to provide them shelter on that path further up the mountainside. So Thorin gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the former name of Minas Tirith and what did it mean Question Smilie
It was called Minas Anor, Tower of the setting sun. Rightyo?
Correcto Etharion, you get the Pseudo-Slimaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose beer may have been laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years Question Smilie
would it be butterbur?
Yes it would Gud daedheloth, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

This is another case where Gandalf didn't use magic: it was more like a blessing rather than a magical spell. We don't have any reports out of Bree during that time period, to know whether Barliman's ale ever attained the high standards set by Gimli's Finest™ Ale as served in the Khazad-dumish Inn.

Whose squire did Meriadoc Brandybuck become Question Smilie
King Théoden Smile Smilie
You got it Mellon, and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In what location did Orcs and Elves fight the first battle of the Wars of Beleriand Question Smilie
Eä > Arda > Middle-earth > Beleriand > Mithrim Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Not Mithrim, for that was the location of the Second Battle, Dagor-Nuin-Giliath, 'battle-beneath-stars'. I may as well give you the Pseudo-Silmaril for your answer of Beleriand Virumor, for the First Battle was fought in both Western Beleriand near Brithomber and Eglarest; and in Eastern Beleriand near Amon Ereb; plus some minor skirmishes on the borders of Doriath. In other words, all over the place. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

When Galndalf said, 'Saruman, you missed your path in life', what career was he suggesting that Saruman should have chosen Question Smilie
I think Gandalf meant that Saruman had been sent to Middle Earth for a purpose - to help and advise the inhabitants in a beneficial way - rather than to become selfish and grasping, wanting power and glory for himself.
That was Gandalfs thoughts indeed I think but this time I think Grondy meant the situation with King Théoden and therefor meant that Saruman should have chosen the "job" as The Kings' fool and maskot. I'm not sure though
Yes Mellon, King's Fool or King's Jester is what I was looking for; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who sang these words: 'The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.' Question Smilie
I'll add another line tomorrow if it still hasn't been guessed. Happy Elf Smilie
Legolas, the Sea-addict. I know only him who sings sea songs in LOTR.
You got it Thorin; and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie I tried to make it harder by using a line other than the poem/song's first one, but still showing it concerned the sea.

What color was the great Tower of Minas Tirith Question Smilie
AAAhhh...white??
But if im not mistaken, the outer walls of Minas Tirith should be dark, if not black, for they are made from the same material as Orthanc.. I know i read about that somewher..if needed ill find a quote..
White is of course the correct answer Etharion; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie And yes, I also think the outer walls of Minas Tirith should be black like Orthanc, unless they had a Tom Sawyer-like Gondorian apply whitewash or plaster over them.

In Farmer Giles of Ham, what was Tailbiter's Latin name Question Smilie
And the answer was: Caudimordax, and it was to be a famous Dragon slaying sword. For this was the reason why Augustus Bonifacius, the then King of the Middle Kingdom, located on the Island of Britain, presented this sword to Farmer Giles of Ham (Ægidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo), especially seeing as how there was then a fierce dragon who needed slaying, and all the King's knights had better things to do, so they said.

Farmer Giles of Ham is a very funny story, is illustrated, and comprises some 60 plus pages of the 251 page Tolkien Reader ISBN 0-345-34506-1. Try it, you'll like it!

Grondy gets to keep the Pseudo-Silmaril for himself. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who said: 'My poor legs, my poor legs!' Question Smilie
Hint: It comes from The Hobbit.
I really dunnno...my mind aint working right at the present time... Maybe someone else will know..
Hint: Something about fleeing fierce fiends and fire. Elf Winking Smilie
Oooh, Dori!! I've been thinking about it for a while.... tis Dori, thanks for the hint of Fire Orc Smiling Smilie
Yes Loss, the Great Eagle had hold of Dori and Bilbo had hold of Dori's legs, as they flew away from the flaming five fir trees. Bilbo complained about his weight on his arms, while Dori complained about Bilbo's weight pulling on his legs.

In the darkness of Mirkwood, what sort of eyes did Bilbo like the look of least, and what did he guess their owners might have been Question Smilie
bulbous eyes belonging to insects or was it insects eyes??
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>