Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Yes Thorin, '.....the eyes he liked the least were horrible pale bulbous sort of eyes. "Insect eyes" he thought, "not animal eyes, only they are much too big."' - from 'Flies and Spiders' of The Hobbit. Thorin gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How did the Vanyar and Noldar cross from Beleriand into Aman Question Smilie
Ossë pulled them across on an island .
Correct Fionwë, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the Dark Elf of Nan Elmoth Question Smilie
Is his name Eol? I read the Silmarillon recently, I really did! Just am fuzzy with the details..
Yes Sian, that was he, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Where were Pippin and Merry laid to rest Question Smilie
Westminster Abbey.
next to aragorn in gondor, the rath dinen i believe.
You got it Thorin, and the Pseudo-Silmaril too. :happyelff:

What mining catastophe happened in TA 1980 Question Smilie
The Balrogs in Moria delved too deep and awoke a Dwarf.
Yes!! His name was Balrog of Morgoth.
No, his name was Grumpy.
Quote:
The Balrogs in Moria delved too deep and awoke a Dwarf.

How interesting! I've never heard of that. Please, do tell more! Elk Grinning Smilie Unless of course, you mean the Dwarves of Moria delved to deep, and woke a Balrog!
Maybe it was the Balrog who woke the dwarf, according to vir?
Fionwë has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie I'm afraid Virumor had it bass-ackward. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

What was the name of the Dragon that Fram son of Frumgar slew Question Smilie
Scatha..i have a nice pic of the heroic deed.
Etharion has the correct answer ans tge Pseudo-Silamaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Quenya name for the Ring of Doom, where the Valar held council Question Smilie
i think i used the answer that in the psychological or re-letter word some time back. Ofcourse i might still be wrong...But since the timelapse has not elapsed i'll not answer. sniff,....
Mánhanaxar ( I had to look it up because I hadn't heard about it )
Mellon has the correct answer and thus gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What Northern Kingdom in the Third Age was ruled by the Lord of the Nazgûl Question Smilie
Angmar..
Etharion has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

List the seven sons of Fëanor Question Smilie (Alright, so maybe it isn't a question, but I like making that question mark. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
That's something you already asked and it as i who had answered. So here we go again :elfgiggrin:

Maedhros
Maglor
Celegorm
Caranthir
Curufin
Amras
Amrod.
Yes, those are still their names, Thorin gets another pretty bauble.Happy Elf Smilie

The Ford of Rivendell crossed which river Question Smilie
The wet one...
Dunav.
The Loudwater
Thorin has the answer, but not the prize as he answered too soon after his last one.

However, the prize will now go to whomever (including Thorin) that can provide the Elvish name for this river.
Bruinen?
Yes that's it Sian o'the Green, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What river was called the Kibil-nâla in Khuzdul Question Smilie
Silverstream ?
Close but no cigar Mellon; though if you don't have the English translation of FotR that might be wherein lies the problem.
Celebrant then ?
Aye..thats it. The Silverlode.
Yes Celebrant and Silverlode are the correct answers so Mellon finally gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which of Tolken's many characters, had a Sindarian name that translated to spirit of fire.
Grondy, I do believe that Feanor was his name. Smile Smilie
You got it Mellie, and the Pseudo-Silmaril too; welcome back. Happy Elf Smilie

For doing what did Telchar make his fame Question Smilie
(Heya MelliotSandybanksWaving Hello Smilie Good to see you around , it's been a while Smile Smilie )
He made Narsil, the swords that later was remade as Andúril used by Aragorn .
Or was it for the knife angrist which cut a silmaril from the crown of morgoth?
Actually, Telchar made both of them and he made his name as a Smith. I assume the made other magnificent weapons in his time, but Narsil and Angrist are the only known ones to have come to our attention after so long a time. I'll give both Mellon and Thorin a pretty bauble each. Happy Elf Smilie

'A man so bent with age that he seemed almost a dwarf; but his white hair was long and thick and fell in great braids from beneath a thin golden circlet set upon his brow.' To whom does this description apply Question Smilie
Dunno...Theoden?
PS: The Children Of Hurin also states that the Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin was made by Telchar, and the dragon of gold was based on Glauraung.

The helm of Hador was given into Thingol's hands...It was wrought by Telchar, the smith of Nogrod,...Upon its crest was set in defiance a gilded image of Glauraung the dragon; for it had been made soon after he first issued from the gates of Morgoth.
Etharion has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did the Green-elves of Ossiriand object to the presence of Men in their land Question Smilie

I didn't remember that Telchar also made the Dragon Helm of Dor-Lómin, but that makes more sense than Robert Foster who just said it was made by Dwarves. I couldn't find anything in the Silmarillion about its maker; however I found its full description on page 80-81 of the Ballantine edition of Unfinished Tales. There it does give Telchar as the Helm's maker and Foster's mistake was probably caused by it having 'a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes) and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders, but was itself guarded from dart and fire.' It goes on to tell of the dragon crest in the image of Glaurung.....
Because they were opposed to animal hunting and forest destruction - a well-know human deed - These elves were soooo ecological (they were not called green-elves for a random reason ...)
You got it Eädollon; and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

Fill in the two gaps:
In ________ ______ beneath the Sun,
the flowers may rise in Spring
Don't have a clue, but is there extra credit if someone tells who said it?Smile Smilie I'm thinking it's Yavanna.
western lands
Sams song in mordor in the tower
Yes, it is from the song Sam sang while hunting for the captive Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol, so Golden_red gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What role did the sons of Ulfang play in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad Question Smilie
That of the traitor, when Angband was emptied, they fell upon Maedhros's rear.
Keerectamundo Fionwë, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How many brothers and sisters did Bilbo have Question Smilie
None.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>