Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Fredgar Bolger
Correct Golden_red, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

List the names of the three Elven Rings and give their physical descriptions Question Smilie
HINT: 'The Grey Havens' and I would like: their Elven names; the material of their settings; and the color and common names of their gemstones. (As much as you can, but not all is known and can only be conjectured, if even that).
I thought I'd quote you Grondy, to save you the trouble of typing out the answer again.

Quote:
Narya the Great, the Red Ring of Fire, unknown material band with a red stone (possibly a ruby)
Nenya, Ring of Adamant, mithril band with a white stone (possibly a diamond)
Vilya, Ring of Sapphire, gold band with a sapphire

Orc Grinning Smilie
Somebody used our search link rather than looking in the book. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Nevertheless; Aldaradan gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Prior the Council of Elrond, what did Saruman always claim had happened to the One Ring Question Smilie
that it had been carried down the anduin to the sea
not sure exactly but i think its that
That is the answer Golden_red; you get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What river was called the Kibil-nâla in the Khuzdul Question Smilie
Celebrant
Yes Mellon, also called the Silverlode; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of weapon did the Lord of the Nazgul wield in the Battle of Pelennor Fields Question Smilie
I'm guessing once again but wasn't it a mace sort of weapon, an iron rod with a spiked ball chained to it?
Yes Sian, per the book it was 'a great black mace', which is a large lump of metal (often a spiked ball) attached directly to the end of a handle rod and used for bludgeoning; in the movie it was technically a flail, which has a short length of chain connected between the ball and the handle rod. A flail can impart even more damage; however the wielder must be careful not to hit himself with the swinging ball instead of his opponent.

The Nazgûl Lord used this mace when he fought and lost against Éowyn on the Pelennor Fields; however earlier when the Gates of Gondor were breached, he brandished before Gandalf, a sword upon which flames ran down its blade. Luckily for Gandalf (possibly), the Rohirrim arrived and this confrontation between Gandalf and the Nazgûl was permanently postponed.

Anyway, Sian gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who fits this description: 'Blue was her raiment as the unclouded heaven, but her eyes were grey as the starlit evening; her mantle was sewn with golden flowers, but her hair was dark as the shadows of twilight.' Question Smilie
Luthien the great love of Beren
Mellon gets the pretty bauble for her correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

How many Men journeyed with Bilbo to the Lonely Mountain Question Smilie
None.
Correct Sian, just 13 Dwarves and a gaggle of ponies. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What fatal mistake did Fëanor make after the Second Battle of Beleriand Question Smilie
I think he pursued Morgoth's army too far, and as he approached Thangorodrim Morgoth unleashed an ambush which made the hunters the hunted. They were surrounded and Feanor slain.
You got it Aldaradan, and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the real name of Sam's father Question Smilie
Hemfast Gamgee, im not sure if its the same in Norwegian and English, but I'll give it a go Smile Smilie
That's close enough for the pretty bauble Ereinion. Happy Elf Smilie It is Hamfast Gamgee and I would also have accepted the Hobbitish: Ranugad (stay at home) Galbasi or Galpsi (from the village of Galabas) as found on the next to last page of Appendix F to RotK. Teacher Smilie

Whose emblem was an eight-rayed silver star Question Smilie
The house of FéanorHappy Elf Smilie
You get the Pseudo-Silmaril Mellon. Happy Elf Smilie

What surprising thing did Merry and Pippin find washed up out of some cellar or storehouse of Saruman's Question Smilie
They found quite a lot of stuff but I'm guessing your thinking of pipeweed.
Pipeweed it was Sian, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Name the horse that Éomer lent to Legolas and Gimli Question Smilie
Arod ?
Yes, not to be confused with A-Rod who plays third base for the New York Yankees having left the Seattle Mariners for much more money and the Texas Rangers to be on a winning baseball team. Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was another name that Éowyn assumed Question Smilie
dernhelm
That was it Golden_red, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who granted Saruman the key to the tower of Orthanc?
Hint: Found in the section of UT entitled 'The Palaníri'.
Beren ?
Yes Mellon, but which one; for it certainly couldn't have been Luthien's Beren, who had been dead for a few thousand years. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I'm not sure Grondy coz I had to look it up but wasn't it the name of the steward of Gondor in the earlier days ?
The nineteenth Ruling Steward of Gondor, the son of Egalmoth, named for Beren Erchamion.

I looked this up too - so I didn't guess 1st Wink Smilie
Yes Maydmarion has the facts, but Mellon's two prior posts got there sooner, so Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. (I had to look it up too, because I only knew it was a Steward, not which one.)

In the Battle of the Field of Celebrant, who led the Éothéod to the aid of the Northern Army Question Smilie
Quote:
Yes Maydmarion has the facts, but Mellon's two prior posts got there sooner, so Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril.

If you would be so kind then Grondy , I think Maydmarion should get the Pseudo-Silmaril since she had the original name for Beren Smile Smilie
Mello you got it - you put the question Big Smile Smilie
Maydmarion is right Mellon; you first said Beren and then guessed Steward of Gondor before Maydmarion put it all together with even more specifics, but your answer is all the was needed. Happy Elf Smilie

And the new question remains:

In the Battle of the Field of Celebrant, who led the Éothéod to the aid of the Northern Army Question Smilie

Oops I dropped a "the" from the original question and have now added it back in.
Lord Eorl?
Yes Maydmarion, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Maeglin hate Tuor so much Question Smilie
Hint: It was something about an elven maid: what was her name and his problem?
Beacause the elven maid fell in love with Tuor , was her name Idril ?
Yes, because Idril loved Tuor instead of Maeglin: another of Leelee's Tolkien Triangles; and this one was disastrous leading to the sack of Gondolin. Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

On what day, month, and year was the Battle of Pelennor Fields fought Question Smilie

Hint: Appendix B of LotR.

Edit: Sorry, it was Cloveress's Tolkien Triangle thread, not Leelees.
This I found in my book
15th of March 3018.this was the day the big battle was fougth
I think you mis-read the book or your finger mis-stepped Mellon, for though you have the day and month correct, it was in TA 3019 not 3018. However, I'll assume it was a typo and give you the pretty bauble anyway. Happy Elf Smilie

I guess the Nazgul Lord didn't have a wife warning him to 'Beware the Ides of March.' Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What was most distinctive about the flies of Mordor Question Smilie
Quote:
Yes, because Idril loved Tuor instead of Maeglin: another of Leelee's Tolkien Triangles

*COUGH COUGH Clover's COUGH COUGH not Leelee COUGH COUGH* Orc Grinning Smilie
Oops; Sorry Cloveress or Leelee, or whomever might take umbrage with my getting my wires crossed. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Thanks again Loss for keeping me humble. Happy Elf Smilie
Meanwhile, the question remains:

What was most distinctive about the flies of Mordor Question Smilie
Orc Smiling Smilie Just thought I'd let you know... Orc Grinning Smilie

Anyway, the flies had a red eye on their backs... though I don't know how one found that out, trying to catch a fly in mid-air is rather hard to do... Or maybe just saw one sitting on a leaf Orc Smiling Smilie
Naw, they liked hobbit sweat even better than that from Orcs, so all one had to do was just sit quietly for 30 seconds and they'd swarm you and then the little red eyes would be obvious. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Anyway, Loss gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

How old was Bilbo the last time he set out for Rivendell Question Smilie
111?
That's correct Sian, eleventy-one, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which is the Odd Man Out: 'No Stone Unturned', 'Roast Mutton', 'On the Doorstep', 'Flies and Spiders', 'A Short Rest' Question Smilie
Hint: The Hobbit
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>