Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
No Stone Unturned - the others are chapters in The Hobbit?
You got it Maydmarion, and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who called Sauron 'the Black Hand' Question Smilie
Gollum ?
Yup and another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Frodo first see Gimli Question Smilie
In Rivendell but this isn't a very specific answer..
Then what were they doing there, if you think it needs more specificity? Teacher Smilie Happy Elf Smilie

Meanwhile:

What was the source of the Balrogs' fire Question Smilie
The mines of Moria ??
Duracell batteries invulnerable to everything except the strength of a Mairar spirit, which was sturdy and thin enough to slide under the removable plate on the Balrog's back so that the battery compartment would be exposed. After that, even a Bracegirdle from Hardbottle would be able to take the batteries out, and thus extinguish the Flames of Morgoth.
The was a crack in the mines of Moria which was flaming. When the Balrog leaped over the chasm the fires soared up to meet it and his shadowy mane caught on fire. But the Balorg was a creature of fire and shadow, the source of it's fire was probably the evil power of Melko with which they were invested. But even that kinda does them wrong, as they were spirits of fire which Melko had corrupted.
I'm going to give the Pseudo-Silmaril to FionwŰ Urion for the above answer,Happy Elf Smilie however the answer I wanted was Udűn, which translates as "Hell". But, this is so obscure that it may not be reasonable. It is found in Gandalf's barring of the way across the chasm with:
Quote:
'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udűn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.'

Ar-edain37 answer was wrong as to the brand of batteries for they were the bunny type such that the Balrog was energized so that it would 'keep on whipping', or was that because the Balrog was powered by an inexpensive watch mechanism. Who knows; who cares. I think having it powered by any of the three ways is funny. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What was the chief city of Lothlˇrien Question Smilie
Caras Galadhon????
Yes, except for that extraneous h; so Maydmarion gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The legend of N˙menor had its origins in what nightmare Question Smilie
tolkiens nightmare which he called his "atlantis complex" or something like that
Close enough for the pretty bauble Golden_red. Happy Elf Smilie It was an Atlantean vision of a vast wave towering over the land.

Describe the White Crown which Gandalf set upon Aragorn's head. Question Smilie
The crown was silver and had wings made of pearl and silver. There were 7 gems to represent Elendil and 1 single to represent Anarion?
A quite fitting description Maydmarion; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did the King of the Mountains swear allegiance to Isildur Question Smilie
On a hill in Lamedon at the Stone of Erech?
Correct and I'll waive the 24 Hour waiting period seeing as how we are it. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Thusly, Maydmarion gets the pretty bauble.

Which of Faramir's Rangers asked for permission to shoot Gollum Question Smilie
Woops I'm sorry Grondy didn't realise I had to wait 24 hours. Won't have a go at this one. Very Sad Smilie sorry.....
What I meant Maydmarion, was as there are so few members available, that I'm waiving the 24 hour rule. So the question remains:

Which of Faramir's Rangers asked for permission to shoot Gollum Question Smilie
Hint: 'The Forbidden Pool' of TTT.
Anborn, Ranger of Ithilien. And he more of said he was ready to shoot, and only waited for the command. Faramir is the one who asked shall we shoot.
Yes, but on the following page it says:
Quote:
'Now I have him at the arrow-point,' said Anborn. Shall I not shoot, Captain? For coming unbidden to this place death is our law.'
Anyway, Anborn is the answer, so FionwŰ Urion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the Gonnhirrim Question Smilie
the masters of stone -so the dwarves
Golden_red gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Melkor seek in the Void Question Smilie
The Flame Imperishable. or something veery alike..definantly a flamable substance. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
That's it Etharion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Name the great central peak of N˙menor Question Smilie
Meneltarma is the mountain?
Ya you bet Maydmarion, so now you get the pretty bquble. Happy Elf Smilie

When Faramir surrendered his office of 'Steward of Gondor' to Aragorn, what was Aragorn's response Question Smilie
"That office is not ended, and it shall be thine and thy heirs as long as my line shall last. Do now thy office"
Correct again Maydmarion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What colors were Treebeard's eyes Question Smilie
His eyes were brown suffused with green light, and they were deep and penetrating.
Don't be hasty now Grondy Big Laugh Smilie
What, me hasty? Never! I can procrastinate with the best of them. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Mellon gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose words had turned King ThÚoden into a wizened old man Question Smilie
Sauraman?
I think you meant Saruman rather than Sauraman, but it was neither of them. Teacher Smilie So please try again. Happy Elf Smilie
Grima Wormtongue then ?
Waving Hello Smilie
Yes Mellon, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What office did Robin Smallburrow hold when Frodo and Company returned to the Shire Question Smilie
Was he a sherrif? My laptop's network card isn't working and I'm stuck in the office with no books at hand.
Yes he sure was Sian, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the Lady of the Stars Question Smilie
I believe it's Varda, called Elbereth by the Exiles.
You got it FionwŰ and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

Who first cultivated pipeweed Question Smilie
Tobold Hornblower
The first cultivator of pipe-weed. Tobold Hornblower lived in Longbottomin the Southfarthing during the time of Thain Isengrim II. Tobold was knowledgeable about herbs. Around 2670, he began cultivating pipe-weed in his gardens. Tobold never revealed how he came by the pipe-weed plant. In his book Herblore of the Shire, Merry Brandybuck speculated that Tobold may have acquired specimens of the plant in Bree, where he often traveled in his youth.
Tobold was nicknamed Old Toby, and one of the finest varieties of pipe-weed bore the same name
Mellon has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

At what time was Bilbo expected to be at the 'Green Dragon' Question Smilie
Hint: Had he dusted the mantelpiece he might have had time to pack a bag with spare underwear and handkerchiefs, and wouldn't have had to run so fast to meet the deadline.
He was expected at Bywater at 11am sharp. Gandalf rushed him as he was still having his breakfast at half past ten and (as said in the letter) made sure that he was punctual Teacher SmilieRead SmilieOrc Smiling Smilie
That's it Loss, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which three dwarves, formerly of Thorin's company, are mentioned among those who disappeared into the darkness of Moria Question Smilie
Balin , Oin and Floi ?
You have two of the three Golden_red; care to try for the third?
May I?

Bombur is the other one, I think that's the correct spelling. Anyways the fat dwarf.
I think that the trio was Oin, Floi and Bombur. I can't really check, seeing as my copy of the Hobbit has been missing for about 3 years now. lol
Nope, Floi and Bombur never went to Moria after the Kingdom Under the Mountain was restored at Erebor. So that should give you a clue as to which two Maydmarion got correct. Elf Winking Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>