Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Paladin
Yup, Golden_red gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Gandalf have difficulty in opening the West-door of Moria Question Smilie
There could be a few answers to this, but one difficulty was the riddle engraved over the doorway, and another reason was that he had not come from the West into Moria, but from the East.
You have almost got it FionwŰ, but not quite there; you need to be a little bit more specific. Happy Elf Smilie
Ok, he misunderstood the Elvish script over the doorway, interpreting the meaning to be "Speak Friend, and Enter" when it really meant "Say Friend and Enter".
That's it FionwŰ, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was named the Father of the Dragons Question Smilie
Glaurung.
That was it FionwŰ, you get the Pseudo-simaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What mountains lay on the eastern coast of Valinor Question Smilie
Hint: They start with the letter P.
The Pelori ? i dont have my copy of the sil to check with
That it is Golden_red, the Pelˇri. You get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the most dangerous about the wound inflicted on Frodo by the Nazgűl Lord Question Smilie
The Blade was a Morgul Blade, which if penetrates the skin, would slowly turn the victim into a Wraith unless treated with Elvish medicine or Athelas, to slow the process, but I don't remember there being a case where someone DID turn into a Wraith from the wound?
Frodo's case was touch and go when he hit the ford, but Elrond managed to pull him past the critical point. We don't know how the Nazgűl were actually turned into wraiths, whether just wearing their rings would have been enough or if Sauron actually had to use an icy blade. Anyway Loss had the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

List the Elvish names of the three Dwarf-mansions mentioned in the Elven histories, if you can Question Smilie
Hint: Their Initials are B, N, and M.
Hint: In the Third age, the two in the Blue Mountains were lost and possibly submerged, the third in the Misty Mountains was inhospitable the last time it was transversed.
Belgrod, Nogrod, and Moria
You got it FionwŰ and also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The Ford of Rivendell crossed which river Question Smilie
the Bruinen
Yes the Bruinen, also known as the Loudwater, so Golden_red gets the Pseudo-silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What does Dorthonion mean in English Question Smilie

Edit: Sorry, I previously misspelled the word by having an i in place of the second o.
Hint: it has something to do with trees
Dorthonion means 'Land of Pines' Grondy gets to keep the Pseudo-Silmaril.

What name was given to Glamdring by the Orcs Question Smilie
Beater
Golden_red gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who does this describe: 'His beard, very long and forked, was white, nearly as white as the snow-white cloth of his garments. He wore a silver belt, and round his neck hung a chain of silver and diamonds.' Question Smilie
I'm going to have a stab with Saruman?
Nope, it wasn't Saruman; try again.
That is pretty interesting. I'm going to take a guess at saying it is a description of Durin, one of the Father's of the Dwarves. If not him, then I think I know who else it could be.
Nope, it wasn't Durin.

Hint: He appears in both The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring.
I wonder...
Gloýn
Aye FionwŰ, 'twas Gloin; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to those Dunedain survivors of Arnor who guarded Eriador from Orcs, wild animals, and evil things. Question Smilie
Rangers

No, not the same as those Halt is part of...
Correct FionwŰ, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

(Was that "Halt" reference, as in Halt of the Ranger's Apprentice series? I just finished the new fourth book and was satisfied that the series could end there or not. At least this one didn't end in a cliff-hanger. For those who don't recognise the "cliff-hander" idiom, it refers back to the Saturday matinee movie serials that each week always ended with the hero/heroine falling over the edge of a cliff or some other deadly situation; we had to wait until the next Saturday to find out they were extricated rather than killed.)

Can you complete the following:

'From dark ____________ in the dim morning
with thane and captain rode Thengel's son' Question Smilie
Wild guess, but does shadow fit in there?

Yes, it was. I noticed that you had just read it elsewhere in the forums. And the book isn't exactly new anymore, it is the newest one out but it has been out for months now.
No, it isn't "shadow".

Hint: it is the name of a place.
Dunharrow ?
Dunharrow it was, so Golden_red gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The passage is from the first line of Tolkien's poem, which I call 'The Ride of the Rohirrim' found in 'The Muster of Rohan' of RotK.

Who led the Elves of Ossiriand to Thingol's aid in the first major battle of the Wars of Beleriand Question Smilie
Hint: A human carried the same name in LotR.
Denethor
FionwŰ gets another Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

How many brothers and sisters did Bilbo have Question Smilie
None
Too true FionwŰ, you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the emblem (like on their banner) of Minas Morgal Question Smilie
a moon with a face of death or something like that ?
It was a moon disfigured by a death's head, which I think is a skull. Anyway Golden_red's answer is close enough, or equal, to get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Tolkien 'cordially dislike in all its manifestations' Question Smilie
Hint: The answer can be found in the 'Forward' to The Lord of the Rings.
Allegories!
You got it AmariŰ, and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What colors did Legolas usually wear Question Smilie
green and brown ?
Green and brown it is; Golden_red gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Thalion, the Steadfast was better known as whom Question Smilie
Hint: He may have been so named because towards the latter part of his career, he hung around a mountain literally, after some slaying seventy trolls. Near the end of his life he slew Mţm and recovered the Nauglamir. There is a large lake in the USA that was almost named for him. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
H˙rin of Dor-lˇmin
He's it Golden_red; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Name three members of the White Council other than Gandalf and Saruman. Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>