Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Aragorn Vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Aragorn Vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi   
Okay.......... Weird people here. Aragorn all the way! ARagorn all the way! Aragorn all the way!
Aragorn yes but Obi-Wan is really awesome too. I think Aragorn has more of the macho, rugged look which is what I'd go for but Obi-Wan can lift things with his mind!!! Can't beat that.
Well I hate to say it, because as much as I love Aragorn (and I do, one of my favorite characters of all time period, and the one who got my vote a while back on PT for most valiant man of the Third Age) I’m going to have to go with Old Ben. Why? Simple, he has the Force, and his lightsaber would cut Anduril in half.

However, if it were a straight up fistfight, mano y mano with no special powers, then I’d have to go with Aragorn because I think he’s a little bit more rugged.

Man that was tough. How about if Obi-Wan and Aragorn are on the same team and they get to kick some tail together!!!!
Elf Winking Smilie
ahhhh star wars. What can be better than laser swords or darth vader.... LOTR duh! Laser Swords? How? REAL swords= more realistic. Darth Vader? Nothing Compared to Sauron
Quote:
Luke I am your Father!
well Sauron was deffentiall not Frodos father and he deffentially wouldnt give up evil! That makes him a true ddark lord!
Quote:
Darth Vader? Nothing Compared to Sauron.

You got that right!!! Lighening Smilie
I would go for Aragorn, not the movie-Aragorn, but the book-Aragorn. If I would need someone to go with me on a journey, I would choose Aragorn. For me he means dignity, loyalty, knowlegde, wisdom, serenity, calmth, strength and respect. I don't see him as a macho, not the book-Aragorn. Obi-Wan is too distant for me.
Juggling Smilie Wiggle Smilie Although I absolutely love Obi, I think maybe Aragorn may have the edge here. It would be interesting to actually see them in a duel, though. But they are both good guys, so I wouldn't know who to root for.

its aragorn , aragorn all the way! though obi has his own style still no one beats the Elessar. u know he is THE KING even if he is covered in a ragged cloak and hasnt seen a shaving blade for years. for me he is the best character from the third age. Viggo was pretty good in the movie (though i wud say the makeup did the trick coz in real life he looks like a dope with his blonde hair) I
After considering the lack of responses got in this thread, one must sadly draw a definite conclusion: A handful of people alone know who Obi-wan Kenobi is. Of course rooting for Aragorn is the best option. Here, at least. But every time I see Episode 2 I must say that Obi-wan is, as we say in spanish : Lo más maximísimo. Naturally, it had to be a Mano y Mano combat. Aragorn lacks acrobatic, jedi rage, force stealth, force speed, premonition, tumble (well, tumble he probably has), jump, self heal, mind control... to mention a few. But that is why it would be sooo interesting, for they both have weapon prophiciency, charisma, reputation, heal another, disable devise, lore, spot, and listen. Not to recall what us three have: dignity, loyalty, knowlegde, wisdom, serenity, calmth, strength and respect. Most important, and you forgot to mention it, Honor. None of them could unjustly hit the other one just for fun... or could they?
Poor Aragorn wouldn't have a chance, Obi could just take his sword and he would beat him at fencing in second. Aragorn could never beat Obi. But if Aragorn was born in that that galaxy far, far away he would have been an jedi for sure! Aragorn Skywalker perhaps? Wink Smilie
Quote:

I would go for Aragorn, not the movie-Aragorn, but the book-Aragorn. If I would need someone to go with me on a journey, I would choose Aragorn. For me he means dignity, loyalty, knowlegde, wisdom, serenity, calmth, strength and respect. I don't see him as a macho, not the book-Aragorn. Obi-Wan is too distant for me.

Couldn't have said it better. You know, Obi-Wan does have knowledge, wisdom, calmness and some others, but still, Aragorn all the way! (Definitely not the film-Aragorn: I'm cool, I can slice off people's heads and dump girls!)
Aragorn... still in Middle-earth here... back in a time when the stars weren't fighting each other!

Namarie!
Good point.
How can you compare Aragorn and Obi don't get me wrong Aragorn is great the king heir of Isildur, lord of men, great warior, and all that stuff but Obi's got something he doesn't the Force ,no mater how great a warior Aragorn is he can't beat a Jedi who is one with the Force. I would say Obi is beter.
Just imagine how would the battles of Helm's Deep and Pelenor fields go with a couple dozen Jedi at our side Smile Smilie
Aragorn: Above normal strength, speed, agility, and dexterity.

Obi-wan: Superhuman (Force enhanced) strength, speed, agility, and dexterity.

Sorry Elessar, but General Kenobi kicks some serious butt.
You read Slayer´s post above me and think that he´s talking about his Avatar self. Cool. Finally, I have to underline one point: Obi's got something he doesn't, the Force . No one can beat you if you are one with the Force. I would say Obi is better too.

... even to have a walk with.
Obi-wan-Kenobi actually fought with a normal sword in a star wars book..............................without the force and if the light sabre couldnt cut Anduril in half like a grosse messer(2 handed falchion-straight scimitar)through a tooth pick i think they would be even unless,obi summoned a jedi or clone army and aragorn summoned gondor and rohan then it would depend on what both sides were armed with as proven on Geonosis jedi can be overwhelmed if not 100percent into the force constantly which never happens in star wars,but id say that sauron was worse tha the emperor,the emperor never ncorrupted a fair race into something hideous,he just mentally corrupted humans......so ill make my decision based on them both at their peaks both normal swords no force powers and whoever has the sun in his eyes will not win! Deal Smilie
Now I know "age matters not" but are we talking about Obi-wan old or young? Are they both going to be armed the same? Is it a challenge of skill vs. skill alone and the Force is not a factor because "it is for defence never attack", well then I would have to give the victory to.....

I think that in the end that Obi-wan might have the edge Exploding Head Smilie come on the skills he showed in the first two episodes but then again Arag Animated Wink Smilie orn is just incredible and you can never count him out, espeically in a pinch. Animated Wink Smilie
Ha Ha Ha Smilie Ar-edain37, you really made me smile out loud. You´ve nailed it. The one that blinks, looses. Also, the Skills is the correct description of what we must be looking for. Naturally, since Ben (that´s the way I call him) goes through most of the ages, he is proven agile and fearless, as well as wise and strong. They would have to be on the same range of age. How old was Aragorn when he met with the Hobbits at Bree? I think that could be a fine season for them to fight. Yet I have been pondering about another thing: What could they be fighting for? It had to be to the death. Something cool, like, If they want for their Universe to survive, the hero on the other Universe had to die. Did you hear that? A faint wihsper sighing "Amalgam Comics". Then again, the idea, as it is, is action-packed.
This whole contest of might would completely depend on one thing:bravery.Obi is much more disciplined and mentally trained;Aragorn is much more physically regimented and experienced in battle(though all Jedi have seen their share of war).Obi-wan,though very focused within The Force,lacks the pure adrenalin and intensity of our king.Aragorn almost has a "force" all his own(for example,the battle at Helm's Deep),a kind of foresight into his enemies' movements.He can attempt the near-impossible with courage alone to aid him,also,whereas Obi is very reliant on strategy and complete knowledge.Thus,it is only my humble belief that (book)Aragorn would win a test of skills in the arena of combat,though Obi would most likely outwit him in a challenge of intellect.
Yea Azadhel something like Mortal Combat between the realm of Arda and the "galaxy far far away"Smile Smilie who will win to protect their realm Aragorn son of Aratorn heir if Isildur or Obi Wan Canoby that's a good idea maybe they will make a movie about it Smile Smilie
Canoby, son of Kabubi, daughter of Wasabi. Should we recommend Ewan McGregor as Ben and Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn? Or you have other ideas?

Just don´t mention Orlando Bloom, Leonardo Di Caprio, Josh Harnet, and the dude from American pie 1, 2, & 3. Brad Pitt´s alright in my book.
I totally agree. I don't want another movie all my friends love because of the actors not the storyline.
Aragorn would kick Obi-Wan's cyber-future-Star Warsy- *ss!!!
Sorry, meh fixed the word...

(Icey edited this post at 9:12 pm, CST, on 25/5/04)
And then Obi-wan would slice poor Aragon in half with his lightsaber. Sorry. *shrugs* The truth hurts like heck, I know. But lighsabers can and will cut through ANYTHING! Even Aragorn's sword. If it came to a fight between the two its would only be fair to have a fist fight, no weapons.
Quote:
If it came to a fight between the two its would only be fair to have a fist fight, no weapons.
And even that Obi-wan would win using his mind control unless they were required to strictly obey the Marquise of Queensbury Rules.
DARN YOU OBI-WAN! *shakes fist at the sky* DANG YOU TO TATTOOIN! I tell ya, it would never have happened if Qui-Gon Jin wuz still alive!

Moderator Smilie Grondy says, 'Oops I missed these yesterday.'
aragorn would kick obi wans knee dude royaly i would cry for obiwan just because he would get such a bad donkey beating

Moderator Smilie Grondy says, 'Please watch your language.'
Sorry but Obi can't use mind tricks on Aragorn because mind trics only work on the weakminded and Aragorn is surely not one of those so Obi can;t control his mind.

But it woul be a fair fight if they both had lightsabers, or normal swords, but Obi would still bite Aragorn's knee Big Smile Smilie

I say again don't get me wrong I love Aragorn but I'm a Jedi at heart Big Smile Smilie

Moderator Smilie (C'mon people, get with the program, stop violating Rule 1 Moderator Smilie
am very sorry to say it but OBI would just kill ARAGORN simpley because a jedi is far beter then a man (OBI is even beter then most jedis too) even thou ARAGORN is a kick ass fighter OBI would just use force push on send him flyin away or he would just cut his head off Cool Smilie
After being forced to vote between Return of the Jedi and Return of the King I thought this thread appropriate posting material...... :P

Who's to say that Aragorn can't use the Force? Give Aragorn a quantum leap to Yoda's place during some of his early years (after all, Yoda needs something to do in all those years between the end of episode 3 and the time Luke shows up at his, uh, 'swampstep'....). Maybe Aragorn can channel the one power, too (oh, wait a minute, wrong fantasy universe). Anyways, no wonder Yoda was so frustrated when Luke couldn't raise his spacecraft out of the swamp, because his former student, Aragorn/Strider/Elessar etc., certainly would have caught on to that sort of thing a lot faster Wink Smilie maybe this early training in using the Force helped Strider with his famous tracking and fighting skills. Maybe when they re-forged Anduril, Aragorn had those elves put a little bit of the light saber into the steel. (hey, if anyone noticed a strange glow or humming noise, they'd just attribute it to the fact that it was the one and only Anduril....)
I think the Dunedain already had enough "force" in their minds. Think about it. How did they create the Seeing Stones? How did Aragorn wrestle the Orthanc Stone away from domination by Sauron? He pulled that stone away from a being far above him by nature! That says much about the relative power of Aragorn vs. Obi-Wan.

I don't have anything against Obi-Wan, mind you. I think he was the best of the Jedi, despite all the build-up of Mace Windu. But let's look at the "facts" such as they are. Yoda couldn't even see the Emperor coming. He could only sense that something was wrong, but he couldn't tell where it would strike until the Jedi were already dead. Then, in the battle between him and Palpatine, he failed to get rid of him. Yet the Emperor's power was no greater than Yoda's!

So to me, Aragorn is more powerful already, without any transplantation to Lucas' universe for training in the Force. I think he could have given the Jedi a few pointers about will power, observation of evil, and planning ahead.
Quote:
How did they create the Seeing Stones?

The Seeing Stones were made in the Undying Lands, perhaps by Fëanor himself, and bestowed to Númenor as a gift.

Quote:
He pulled that stone away from a being far above him by nature!

Of course, as Aragorn was a rightful user of the Palantír, whilst Sauron was not. For this same reason, Denethor could rebuke Sauron when using the Palantír.

Quote:
Then, in the battle between him and Palpatine, he failed to get rid of him. Yet the Emperor's power was no greater than Yoda's!

It was an evenly matched skirmish. Just like a duel between Gandalf the White and Sauron would turn out to be, if a direct confrontation would have been allowed by the Valar.

Aragorn though, would have had no chance whatsoever against Sauron.
I don't quite know as much about Obi Wan as I do about Aragorn (not that lot about him either, still more), I haven't even seen all of the SW movies. I read through the thread and thought about the thing and still I can't come to a conclusion. they're so different, their environments are so different. -> they'd have to meet on neutral ground in any case, to make the thing fair as possible. but what I'm thinking about is: why should two strong, clever etc. men as both of them obviously are fight each other? maybe none of them would survive that and they'd not be that stupid, would they? imagine what they could achieve if they worked together.
Quote:
Then, in the battle between him and Palpatine, he failed to get rid of him. Yet the Emperor's power was no greater than Yoda's!

How often do we see people who don't deserve to lose, lose because they didn't have the luck or the circumstances on their side?

And I personally think that Aragorn is over-rated.

Quote:
Aragorn though, would have had no chance whatsoever against Sauron.

Agreed!

Quote:
why should two strong, clever etc. men as both of them obviously are fight each other?

Oh let's see...

Maybe Palpatine used his Dark powers to cloud Obi Wan's vision or something? Maybe Sauron sent some agent of his to dress up like Obi Wan and have Aragorn chase after him? I mean, how difficult would it be to make a Nazgul look like a hooded Obi Wan? And maybe, when eventually they started fighting, they just didn't have the time to communicate so as to realise that they're both on the good side! Someone with a better imaginenation than mine could easily have these two battle each other you know!

Quote:
imagine what they could achieve if they worked together.

That wouldn't be fun. Where would be the fun if there was no evil? LotR wouldn't happen if there was no Sauron! Worse yet, the Silmarillion wouldn't happen if there was no Morgoth! Wait! We wouldn't have this thread if there was no evil that made Aragorn and Obi Wan look good!!

[13/01/2006 10pm IST: Floyd fixed all the quotes. Now this post should make some sense! Guess I use the Unix copy/paste way too much!!]
Quote:
Maybe when they re-forged Anduril, Aragorn had those elves put a little bit of the light saber into the steel. (hey, if anyone noticed a strange glow or humming noise, they'd just attribute it to the fact that it was the one and only Anduril....)

Aragorn didn't call Anduril "the Flame of the West" for nothing; though when it sliced through the air it didn't hum, it sang, just like the "Singing Sword" of Prince Valiant.

Quote:
I mean, how difficult would it be to make a Nazgul look like a hooded Obi Wan?

Well, I'd think one look into those merciless, piercing, red eyes would be a dead giveaway. Okay, I don't think Tolkien ever said they had red eyes, but there was something about seeing red fires above the Nazgul Lord's mantle during Gandalf's confrontration with him at the Gate of Minas Tirith, so I probably read something into what wasn't there.
No, I don't picture that Aragorn and Obi-Wan would fight either, had their paths actually crossed. But I thought the discussion was about their power(s), not about whether they could pummel each other. That would be pointless. Nor did I mean in my earlier post that Aragorn would have been able to beat Sauron in a duel. Certainly not, but then, he would not have been the one the challenge him, not seriously. He did manage to make his challenge sound good enough to "force" Sauron's hand.

But Palpatine was out of Obi-Wan's league as far as experience. As for Yoda, as old as he was, he should have been able to demonstrate that the Light Side was better, though not always faster, than the Dark Side. I mean, really, shouldn't someone over 800 years old just sort of suspect when things were happening as they were, that PC Palpatine, always smarmy, was behind it? To me, that's where Lucas' backstory/mythology does not nearly do the sort of job Tolkien's does.

But I think someone here who likes to write stories should write something nice about Aragorn and Obi-Wan.
Quote:
Well, I'd think one look into those merciless, piercing, red eyes would be a dead giveaway. Okay, I don't think Tolkien ever said they had red eyes, but there was something about seeing red fires above the Nazgul Lord's mantle during Gandalf's confrontration with him at the Gate of Minas Tirith, so I probably read something into what wasn't there.

Actually I was thinking about the face being covered by the hood, so red eyes wouldn't matter Wink Smilie

Quote:
But I thought the discussion was about their power(s), not about whether they could pummel each other.

Normally, when we talk about powers, we do try and imagine that power being put to use to beat someone else. As it is, it's not really too bad a thing to wonder who'd beat who in this thread, because that's one way of comparing their powers!

Quote:
As for Yoda, as old as he was, he should have been able to demonstrate that the Light Side was better, though not always faster, than the Dark Side.

From what I've read about the Extended Universe, Windu was better at using the light saber than Yoda. He DID beat Sideous, only to die before killing Sideous because of the intervention of Anakin. Though, like I said in my previous post, I think in that battle with Sideous, it just wasn't Yoda's day.

Quote:
To me, that's where Lucas' backstory/mythology does not nearly do the sort of job Tolkien's does.

Tell me, are you suggesting that Yoda should always win because he was good and because he was the best or something? Well, technically, he should, but does that always happen in real life? Someone said once.. I don't remember who.. "If the best always won, Brazil would have won every World Cup!" That's about football, obviously. Anyway, I think on this very point, Lucas has been quite good, contrary to how you see it, Gandalf.
BREAKING NEWS : "Viggo Mortensen and Ewan McGregor arrested in bar fight. Perpetrators claim the skirmish was triggered by an argument on an Internet forum. More details to follow."
Great, Mir!

FURTHER DETAILS: It appears that Mortenson and McGregor attacked and severely maimed several reporters who insisted on interrupting the two men who had met to have a quiet beer.
It is also reported that several paparazzi who were there at the time unexplainably found themselves at home the next morning, re-thinking their lives and their chosen profession.