Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: 'There and Back Again'

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > 'There and Back Again'   
Has anyone read 'There and Back Again: in the footsteps of JRR Tolkien' by Mathew Lyons? It's meant to be about places in England that inspired Tolkien to create his characters and places. I've seen it advertised, but was wondering if any 'experts' had read it?!
Hi Elspeth. Welcome to Planet Tolkien.

I haven't read, or even seen the book myself, but have seen a review after someone sent me a link (was it you?).

For those of you who are interested.....

Link Book Review
Hi Valedhelgwath

I'm afraid I didn't send the link. But thanks for posting it - I've found a few other good reviews since I first wrote as well!
I've read this. It's really good. It's published by a company called Cadogan who are a travel publisher - like Fodor or Lonely Planet if you haven't heard of them - so this is a travel book. You don't get places to stay and all that, but you do get lots of descriptions/evocations of different places around England. That might put some people off. If so, that would be a shame, not least because Lyons is a good writer and clearly a Tolkien fan.
You get a very strong sense of the English landscape and of why Tolkien loved England so much and what it was that he loved, ie, it's (lost) histories and myths. What Lyons does is visit, say, the Berkshire Downs, tell you what it's like to be there and - more importantly - explain the Tolkien connection, how Tolkien might have seen the area and how he used that in his writing. So the chapter on the Downs tells you about Tolkien's love of Mercia and Mercian literature, Viking burial mounds in the area, how Anglo-Saxon mythology used to be associated with features of the landscape before the Norman conquest, the various dragon-myths surrounding the White Horse, medieval festivals, King Arthur, etc, etc - all the time referring back to LotR and finding connections.
In one chapter, Lyons discovers a possible source for Tolkien's inspiration for hobbits and hobbit holes, which I hadn't heard before.
Not all the chapters are equally successful, but on the whole it's a fascinating look at one part of Tolkien's inspiration. You end up understanding how and why Tolkien felt so passionately about England and how he celebrates it in Middle Earth - there's a lot more connection than I thought (ie, if you'd asked me before, I'd have just said The Shire).
In a way, because Lyons oviously shares that passion and conveys it well, you feel a bit closer to Tolkien than you do with a lot of books about him.
This has turned into a review, so I'll stop.
I haven't seen this. How does it compare to other biographies/books on Tolkien?
I sort of covered this already in a thread re: biographies.

Lyons' isn't really a biography, though it has some to contextualise the landscapes in Tolkien's life. It isn't really about literary sources either - cp Shippey - though again it draws on some of that to relate Tolkien's thinking and show how English history, myth, literature & landscape are (or can be) totally intertwined.

If you want a biography read Carpenter (or Garth for the formative WW1 and before years). If you're interested in Tolkien's English inspiration for Middle Earth and LotR, then read Lyons. I think I said before you get a really good sense of Tolkien's profound love for England. More so than anything else I've read.

Hope that helps
Well book or not, I was aware, (very aware) that Tolkien based his town and other places as places in his book. For example I read somewhere, that Tolkien based the Dead Marshes on the field of World War 1 seeing all the dead bodies just lieing around. He also based events on some of his experiences like maybe some war battles he had.
Food for thought, except burritoes cuz they make me poo
~Celebrimbor