Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: what do you think about lotr?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > what do you think about lotr?   
i think lotr is the most descriptive book ever.j.r.r tolkien could go on about a tree for 10 pages!i mean it's so cool!!!!! lord of the rings is the most amazing books ever!!!! there is no word for how amarzing these books are so let me know how you feel about the lord of the rings!!!!!!!
it is great!But for me whole middle earth is great,not just LOTR!!!
SAME WITH ME ELROHIR!!!!! I LOVE MIDDLE EARTH !!!!!!!!!! I WISH THAT I LIVED IN MIDDLE EARTH BECUASE IT IS THE BEST PLACE EVER!!!!!!!! Happy Elf Smilie
Middle-earth is great! Of course, I can't think of many people who would choose to live in Utumno, Angband or Mordor, but then, who can tell?!
I think we all agree on this point. LOTR is the greatest book ever written. Am I right? (I assumed that everyone on this site thought it was, or they wouldn't've joined).

I MISS MIDDLE-EARTH!!!!!!!!! (And don't point out I haven't been there to miss it, or I'll just get even more homesick!!!!!)
What a question! OF COURSE LotR is the greatest and most fazinating book ever! I just reading it again but I don't really know how often I read it before...
I always feel sort of pity with somebody, who hasn't read it...
I am sorry to disappoint you, my friends, but I don't think LotR is the greatest book ever written!
IMHO, that place is held by The Silmarillion, by far... Big Smile Smilie

Namarie!
Quote:
IMHO, that place is held by The Silmarillion, by far..

I second that, Bugy. I only really appreciated it fully, however, after I had dug deeper into the likes of UT and HOME and saw its true depth.
Well, yeah, the Silmarillion is not really complete without those other works... I loved those too, though I've read just two of HoMe volumes! I can hardly wait to read all of them! *eager*
Okay, The Silmarillion is great because it covers the breadth and depth of Tolkien's world historically; however, I still like The Lord of the Rings the best, because it is an epic story that keeps me turning pages and repeatedly saying, 'Just one more chapter and then I'll turn out the light'. Almost all of my reading is to escape the mundane world in which we find ourselves.

That never happened when I read The Silmarillion: the best I could say is, 'Well I guess I can read a couple more pages to get to the end of the chapter.' It wasn't boring, it just held no excitement for me: sort of like Gollum's reaction to lembas, ' ... Dust and ashes, I can't eat that'. While The Lord of the Rings fleshes out a small portion of The Silmarillion into something juicy in which I can sink my teeth. Cat Smiling Smilie

Of course I've only read The Silmarillion three times so maybe it grows on one. Wiggle Smilie
You need the Silmarillion to really understand the Lord of the Rings. LOTR is of course more fleshy, the Sil is a history book and sort of a bible and not to mention unfinished by the writer. But the LOTR gets even fleshier when you have read the Sil and know who they are talking and singing about, who Luthien was, who and what Earendil is and so on, and why these people and actions and happenings are so important. You get the history behind it. And I you want to know even more, you can go for the HOME books or the letters, you can dig as deep down as you want. But if you haven't read the Sil, then IMHO you haven't really read the LOTR either.
Quote:
You get the history behind it. And I you want to know even more, you can go for the HOME books or the letters, you can dig as deep down as you want. But if you haven't read the Sil, then IMHO you haven't really read the LOTR either.

I'm totally with Amarie on this one; LotR is just another adventure book without the Silmarillion. Of course, once caught in the history of the Elder Days, one will want to know more and more and more... and so much more! hehe Then one should read Unfinished Tales (and feel sorry that Tolkien didn't have enough time to finish them!), HoMe (and talk about dense lecture... though thought it very interesting!), the Letters (really great, learn smth more about the Professor and his world) and "The Monsters, Critics and Other Essayes" (which I myself have to read).

As for what Grondy said, I think the same... Well, almost, since I felt that urge to finish the book no matter if it was the Hobbit, LotR, Sil, UT and even HoMe (which is, of course, much drier than the others).
Has anybody read The Ring of Gyges from Plato's The Republic? Many say that this story was Tolkien's main philosophical inspiration, but I am interested to find out if there are any other opinions on this.
I will not go into whether LOTR or the Silmarillion is the greatest piece of literature ever. For me, I'm completely new to English literature and have personally read nothing except LOTR so far. I have read some books on the second world war and some current affairs books, but that is mostly non-fiction and definitely won't fit in this category.

What I have read though, is Marathi (my mother-tongue, one of many languages in India) literature in abundance and will be absolutely furious if people who because of language differences or any other reason have not had the pleasure of reading such wonderful works, go on making judgements about which is the greatest of them all. Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a certain peice of literature in Marathi is better than everything else, but personally, I feel, that you cannot judge a certain literature to be better or worse than any other. For me, it is something I would never compare. You just cannot judge which is better and which is worse, because that is a matter of individual taste and when someone says that this is better than that, I feel it is his or her personal opinion. But, again, don't get me wrong. I am by no means denying or contradicting with the rights of anyone to judge what they like more.

Anyways, that's not the point to this post. The point is to tell what I think about LOTR.

Well, for me, it is one of the best things ever! I shall not deny that. It is an indication to the level to which the human brain can stretch itself. The power of imagination....

I have read only The Hobbit and The LOTR and haven't been so lucky as to have a chance to read Silm or HOME, but thanks to PT, I do get to know about em and I would certainly want to dig deep into Tolkien's works, because from my side of things, this is so awesome. I love the Hobbit and LOTR and I'm sure I'm gonna love the other works. Well, if anyone hasn't guessed yet, I do like to dig deeeeeeep into anything.

I don't think I need to say anything more as to what I think about LOTR. And, speaking of Marathi literature, I think I would like to give you people some taste of it. Keep an eye on the forums for that!!
Well, Floyd, don't get all started up! : ) It is just my personal opinion, nothing more... I love history, mythology and good literature, so that explains my preferance. I'm not saying that some country or language has a better literature... It's just that after reading Silmarillion, I, a book-devourer otherwise, read only Frank Herbert's "Dune" with almost the same passion (that is outside Tolkien's universe, which I count not! hehe)... For me, world after Silm is totally different!
As one of you said, The Hobbit through The Appendices E would be a complete confusion to those who have never seen, touched or read the Sil, or some of the unfinished tales. If anyone wants to read any of the books, I'd recommend the Sil first because it gives you some background of Middle Earth instead of just being put in the Middle of A great event that will be remembered by the people who lived it and heard about it forever.

I would absolutely love to live in Middle Earth because you could just grab food and a sword and be on your merry way to find hidden treasure locked in some underground cavern. But here in US you can't walk 5 feet without being sued for tresspassing.
Just a thinking thought
~Celebrimbor
Also, you can't really judge Tolkien's works of Middle Earth unless you've read EVERY single book and some are so long its unbelieveable. As for me I can't decide which is my ABSOLUTE favorite but I would prefer reading The Return of the King over the others for reasons uneknowst to other people and unbeknowst to me as well
~Celebrimbor
The LoTR fascinates and engrosses so many people because of its depth and narrative detail. It is just the most rounded book in english literature. You have the depth of character, places and languages that no other book of like genre can compete with.

I'd read The Hobbit before I read LoTR and was fabulously surprised at its literary qualities. Same when I read The Sil: it all seemed to make so much sense with those hints at a long-forgotten Age.

I had to ask myself: Who are those Heroes that Elrond mentions? What was Gondolin? What was it about Beren and Luthien that made them so special etc etc.

Of course, the special thing about Tolkien's works in general is that there is always something to be learned. Despite umpteenth readings of LoTR, there is always a new angle at loking at passages, new themes to explore etc.
For me, LOTR is special because it touches a particular part of the human psyche that I believe mirrors our own shifting identities (which is what I'm writing my thesis on). In America, the last time we had a major communal identity shift was in the '60s, hence the increase in LOTR's popularity, and it seems to me that this major identity shift may be on the verge of happening once again.
Eruwen, that is beautifully said and I completely agree.
Considering The Silmarillion, though it does give a lot of enlightening information about LotR, I was almost disappointed after reading it, because never again could I read LotR with the same amount of wonder at the names, places and battles of the days before the Third Age. Though I agree that the Silmarillion is an indispensable trove of knowledge, in my personal experience LotR is even more of a great read when you have to guess and imagine at the many obscurities that would be explained in Tolkien's other works.
Quote:
Of course I've only read The Silmarillion three times so maybe it grows on one.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! GRONDY ONLY READ IT THREE TIMES!!!!!! *goes to hospital with a heart attack* I've read it six. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!! Here was I, thinking Grondy was the greatest, and sooooo brainy, and Vee and Val and all were too. I thought he had read all the Tolkien books like...twenty times or something. *faints* But I've only read UT once, worst luck. So I've devised my own way of reading UT. I read the first story five times. Then the next five times. It really gets into your head. I know so much more stuff than if I just read the whole thing five times. You lot should try it. (Of course it only works with UT, which just has random tales in no chronological order)