Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: hmmmmmm

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > hmmmmmm   
Well, well, well.... I have just been reading The Legends of King ARthur and his Knights by Sir James Knowles. Really old style words, I like it. Anyway, I came across this passage:
Quote:
So they mounted their horses - armed at all points - and rode into a vast forest; and when they had passed through it, they came to a great plain, and the weather being very hot about noontide, Sir LAncelot greatly longed to sleep. Then Sir Lionel espied a great apple-tree standing by a hedge, and said, "Brother, yonder is a fair shadow where we may rest ourselves and horses."
"I am full glad of it," said Sir Lancelot, "for all these seven years I have not been so sleepy."
This sounds too much like Old Man Willow and the Forest for me. And you know what? Lancelot DOES get an enchantment laid on him. But it was Queen Morgan le Fay, the baddie, not the tree. Another thing, more picky, I also noticed:
Quote:
And as he went towards the ship a knight of Knight ARthur, named SIr Dinadan, who sought him came and said, "Fair knight, ere that you pass out of this country, I pray you joust with me!"
"With a godo will," said he.
Well, it may be just me, but Dinadan sounds like Dunadan, you know Aragorn? But he's not like Aragorn. Many would say he is cowardly. Well, I say he's sensible, more sensible than Lancelot and Tristram and all that. But for all their recklessness, they're the most famous knights, and maybe that tells us something. Hmmmm.......
Well people often get tired when travelling through forests. Ever driven through the great Swedish woods? They go oooon and oooon and oooon... Good Morning Smilie

Dinadan does sound a bit like dúnedain.
Great name for the topic Loni!

Loved your creativity!!!
loni if you like that kind of stuff try reading The Mists Of Avalon It's the story of king arthur From a womans point of veiw I am reading it and I like it
I am glad you like that book Tiger. It has been my favorite for more then 16 years now. If you like that book, I will have more suggestions you might enjoy.
Somebody sees knights in her dreams eh? Wink Smilie
*puts an undefined cloth over Asteroth's head*

Behave you! Remember, family friendly board..

*sorry people, just ignore us*
*Me Stares at rhaps* "Man thats just weird" she says Pulling a curtain around them "Nofink to see here peoples nothing to see"

yeah i would like some recomonds from you rhapsother books that i'm reading are Ta-thea and calculating god
I have a new fancy four volume set of Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D' Arthur which is next on my reading list. It covers most of those old Knightly Tales.

I wonder if I'll find any other similarities?
Let me know Grond!! I have been collecting so many novels and scientific books over this legend (and the time period for that matter) that I am curious what you will find.
Quote:
Dinadan does sound a lot like Dunedain.

I didn't mean Dunedain, I meant Dunadan. One of ARagorn's names, remember?

And I've read L'Morte d'Arthur too, Grondy!!!!! Cool, eh?

I don't think I'd like Mists of AValon. Girls point of view? Nah. And I don't suppose it has lots of thees and thous, does it?
Quote:
Well people often get tired when travelling through forests.

But the coincidence of the apple tree! And it being real hot, like the Old Forest... All we need is a stream and lots of flies....
Quote:
I don't think I'd like Mists of AValon. Girls point of view? Nah. And I don't suppose it has lots of thees and thous, does it

No, it is told from a non-Christian view. Just give it a try. Another good suggestion: the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.
The Once and Future King is a great book for giving an insight into Arthur's early life. I cannot remember who it is by though.
Quote:
No, it is told from a non-Christian view

Mists of Avalon is my favorite of the Arthur renditions. And I do agree with Rhapsody that the tale is told from a non-christian viewpoint. It is the story of Morgaine as she struggles to keep her religious beliefs. I think many people think the book is the story of Arthur from a woman's viewpoint because of the characters who are caught in the struggle; Morgaine and her determination to keep the Druid religion from dying and Gwenhyfar's Christian beliefs and the sins she has committed against her God and her husband.
I have just purchased the DVD of the made for TV movie. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Loni, give the book a chance and keep an open mind. Read Smilie

For a light read in a King Arthur series, Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave and subsequent sequels are entertaining.
Quote:
I have just purchased the DVD of the made for TV movie. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Mmmm. Well it does not stick completely to the book. Let me know when you have seen it.

Quote:
Loni, give the book a chance and keep an open mind.

I agree. Has anyone read the Rosalind Miles' Guenevere trilogy?
I thought T.H. White's The Once and Future King was also a good read on the myth, though you may have a hard time getting Disney's caricatures out of your head if you saw the movie first. I loved the wizards' duel in both the book and the movie.
Quote:
No, it is told from a non-Christian view. Just give it a try. Another good suggestion: the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.

I'll give it a try. Just as soon as I'm through UT. Even though, in my opinion, a non-Christian view is EVEN WORSE than a girls point of view. And I saw the Chroniclesy thingy by that Cornwell guy. I was actually going to read them but the library didn't have the first book, only the second. We'll see, we'll see. I promise I"ll read the whole thing unless it REALLY REALLY isn't my thing, which I doubt it will be, because not much books are THAT bad. Hey, it's an ARthur thingy, can it be too bad? No, hang on. My friend was reading this awful one displaying GUinevere as a warrior princess. And there was this guy who could turn into a wolf. WEll, something to do with wolves. And Guinevere was brought up by wolves. I hated it. BUT I"M SURE IT'S NOT THAT BAD!!!
Quote:
It's the story of king arthur From a womans point of veiw

Is this about what I think its about? Angel Smilie
Probably not; though we have know idea knowing what you think unless you post it here. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie