Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tolkien Research Paper

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Tolkien Research Paper   
i am doing a research paper on tolkien and i am having trouble coming up with a thesis for it. Does anyone have any ideas for a thesis that would be easy to prove? I have "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" and "Tolkien: A Biography" but I cannot come up with a good thesis. Thanks.
Well, I probably found this far too late to help Ntothes, but I too am doing some research on Tolkien and was wondering if anyone knew of some good sources....? Online or book, doesn't matter.
www.planet-tolkien.com ?

:-P
I know they may not prove conclusive, however there are two documentaries I know of and have seen. One is an Omnibus produced by the BBC and rpesented by Kirsty Wark, the other is a Melvyn Bragg production from his South Bank Show programme for ITV. I found the Omnibus programme more informative about Tolkien's life and manner whereas the South Bank Show documentary came out in conjunction with the hysteria relating to the new film trilogy. Both are relevant I would say though. These are of course British shows, so I know not how you might aquire them if you are not in Britain. Hope I have been of at least some help here. Good luck with the thesis, and I would be most interested in finding out what you decide to base it on, and how you get on with it. What is your initial rationale for researching Tolkien? and what is it for?
I am not the one with the thesis, just doing an overview of Tolkien for Reading for College because we have to do a paper on something for Honors Option. I don't like the class, but at least I get to pick my topic!
In answer to the question about sources for research/study on Tolkien and his works, I can recommend a few. The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends by Humphrey Carpenter, Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien by Paul H. Kocher, J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle-earth by Daniel Grotta-Kurska are three of the best. You already possess the biography of Tolkien by Carpenter, do you not? If so, with these suggestions you should do quite well.