Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: New book?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > New book?   
Hi. Im a new reader towards the lord of the rings and i was curious if there would ever be a new book (seeing how tolkien has a son) and ive heard that tolkiens son was creating a book as we speak. Is what they speak of true?
Hmmm.... Thats an interesting theory it's possible but I doubt it highly. Even though the books would still be good it just wouldn't be the same...
Yes, you may be correct...but still, I think it would be pretty cool if Chritopher Tolkien made an all new trilogy. Smile Smilie
Same here. Who knows?... anything is possible.

Hey are you going to join any threads?
Well, JRR Tolkien's grandson did write a mystery novel. And I've heard that it is pretty good. Bt I don't know the title of the book.
With al the notes and other manuscripts that Christopher has I am sure it would be possible for him to write a sequel to LotR or even an addition to the Silmarillion maybe to tie up some of JRRT's loose ends. Whether it will be accepted by Tolkien fans as a 'proper' book or not is another matter. It could be interesting though.

I even wondered whether PJ would go on to make another film using the appendices -

The Love Story of Arwen and Aragorn?
Gollum - The Lost Years?
Hobbits in Aman?
The Tale of Two Cities - Osgiliath and Minas Tirith?
Minas Morgul - The Aftermath?
Middle-Earth - The Fight Continues?

Wiggle Smilie
You're just asking for Vir to respond, Vee, that is like dangling bits of meat in front of a bear! Big Laugh Smilie

The thought never crossed my mind. But then again, I'm not one to walk on eggshells.

Reminds me of an added bit in the extended ROTK dvd - Aragorn and co walking on headshells!

Actually JRRT started a new story which took place in the 4th age, under Eldarion's reign, but soon abandoned it.

I'm sure Christopher Tolkien would never start a new book if his father wouldn't have asked him to before his death. JRRT only asked Christopher to assemble the Silmarillion, not a sequel to LOTR.

So, such a book won't come in a million aeons. It's like asking for a sequel to the Bible.

Heck, aren't all those cheesy post-LOTR fanfiction stories enough?

PJ is already making a new LOTR flick, with a strange title : 'Return of the King Kong'. I wonder what that will be about. Probably about the monkey business in Middle-Earth after Elessar became king.
Yeah, I read in Letters of JRR Tolkien that he started a story called Shadow of The Fourth Age, but because of the end of Lord of The Rings, which was to be a prosperous age of men, he scrapped it. Plus there would be no Elves cos they all buggered off to Aman.
Quote:
Plus there would be no Elves cos they all buggered off to Aman.

Nope, not all. Some Woodelves stayed in Mirkwood and started the Woodland Realm. So there'd at least be some Elves left in the beginning of the 4th Age. OF course, ultimately they'd all be called by the Sea and only the Avari would stay behind in Middle-Earth.
Legolas was an Avari (I Think) and he went to valinor with Gimli. But yeah spose there would be some left. It would be interesting reading more about the 4th age than whats in the appendices. Maybe some stuff about Aragorn and arwens son becoming king.
Hate to burst your bubble, but Legolas was a Silvan elf.

Quote:
At least, Legolas seems to refer to himself as a Silvan Elf: in Eregion, he says '...the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk...' (The Fellowship of the Ring II 3, The Ring Goes South). This is confusing, because his father Thranduil is elsewhere identified as one of the Sindar. Tolkien touches on this question in his Letters, where he describes Legolas as '...a Woodland Elf, though one of royal and originally Sindarin line.' (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 297, dated 1967). The explanation for this is found in the History of Galadriel and Celeborn (in Unfinished Tales), where there's a brief account of the arrival of Thranduil's father Oropher among the Silvan Elves of Greenwood the Great. It's made obvious there that Oropher and his small band of Sindar merged themselves completely with the Silvan people of the Wood, leaving behind their Sindarin inheritance. That's why Oropher's grandson Legolas thinks of himself as a Silvan Elf, rather than one of the Sindar.

Oh and on the Avari:
Quote:
'The Unwilling'; those of the Elves who refused the summons of the Valar to dwell in Valinor, and remained in the dark wilds of Middle-earth. Some of the Avari, it is said, were corrupted by Melkor in ancient days to become the progenitors of the race of Orcs.
Oh righty o, it gets confusing with all the elf races.
Whatever Legolas is, he is no Avari as the Avari never went into the West when Orom called them to do so. Legolas is clearly a descendant of the Eldar who went into the West.

As some stories refer to Thranduil as related to Elw and hence a Sindarin elf, and other stories as Thranduil as a mere Silvan Elf, i'll leave options open.

Let's just refer to Legolas as "Forest Gimp", to avoid any heated discussion.... ;-)
A little unrelated but how old is legolas (End of the third age) cos i cant find his age in any of the many books i have.
Click the link and look about half-way down the page starting with Jehanne's post which speaks to Legolas's age. Please post anymore Legolas questions there.