Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Zeppelin knew Gollum?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Zeppelin knew Gollum?   
I don't know where else to put this.

Trivia question: Which Led Zeppelin song contains the lines, "In the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair. But the Gollum, the evil one, crept up and swept away with her."
I think the song is called "Ramble On", at least I know that's the chorus of that tune anyway.
Elf Smilie
Well done, Sir Elfstone. It's from the Album Led Zeppelin II.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.
How years ago in days of old, when magic filled the air.
T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair.
But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her, her, her....yeah.

good job, especially considering I got some of the words wrong. Big Smile Smilie
there a many bands who wrote songs about middlearth, but led zepplin must have been one of the greatest. But then there is even the rumor that the beatles wanted to adapt the lotr but Tolkien refused them
Well, thre is another...Blind Guardian. They tok out an album called "A nightfall in Middle-Earth" and as any nut can guess, its dedicated entirely to Tolkien's world!
I'm not sure Zeppelin knew Gollum... the only thing i'm sure of, is that Blimp 182 knew him!
Anyone heard Bob Catley's 'Middle Earth' album - he's the (ex)singer from Magnum. Kinda 'almost metal'. Good album, though he has done better.

I am currently listening to Blind Guardian (proper metal!!) Live album which has a few of the tracks from 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' mentioned in this thread. HIGHLY recommended.!!

So thats Bob Catley, Blind Guardian, Led Zep.... who else has done the 'tolkien' thing, and can you recommend the album / song???

the Legend Master
Go to:

http://www.tolkien-music.com

Great link site for Tolkien-influenced music

Quote:
But then there is even the rumor that the beatles wanted to adapt the lotr but Tolkien refused them

Yeah, I seem to recall hearing something like that as well somewhere along the line?
Orc Going Huh Smilie
I always thought that Zep wrote "Misty Mountain Hop" as homage to the good old M.E. Misty Mountains, though I don't remember the exact lyrics...I could see maybe John Lennon or George Harrison tripping out on LOTR during the early-to-mid sixties, but I am sure that even if they did play with the idea of the Beatles doing something M.E.-related, darn Paul McCartney would've shot down the idea-he doesn't really strike me as the type of imaginative person that appreciates Tolkien...
Wow, I didn't expect this to get so many responses. It's turned into a rather pleasant thread.
Thanks for the link to Tolkien inspired music.
I have also heard that the Beatles wanted to do their own version of The Hobbit. John wanted to be Gandalf. George wanted to be Gollum. Apparently they even approached a movie producer with the idea, but no one was interested in it at the time. Go figure.
The real probleme was that Tolkien didn't want it. I think McCartney wanted to do Frodo because, of his cherubic sex appeals Wink Smilie
In a Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings, a very good book, everyone should buy, the author refers to about a dozen of bands which played music with sometimes singing about middleearth or even they called the band Gandalf or other names!
Thanks for the link Oloriniwasinmyyouth, I knew about Led Zepplin but never realized there was so much Tolkien inspired music out there. This is a great thread for sure.
Just wanted to add that Led Zep also seemed to include tales or strands of middle-earth in the Battle of Evermore on Led Zep IV. Although I've read that Rob Plant wrote the main lyrics based on ancient celtic myth born out of Wales from some book that I have the name of somewhere and am looking forward to locating and reading. [Note to self Big Smile Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie ] but I remember with pleasure the line:
The Ringwraiths are out in black
there may be other such references in the song as I am almost certain there are but I have had a long day of uni work so cannot quite remember.

Also want to say I rate Led Zep on the same par as Tolkien and his works although distinctly different.

Take care all!
Rush have several Tolkien references on their earlier albums too, including the track Rivendell.
The book i think you're referring to is the collection of Celtic legends of Wales, which were collated by an english noblewoman in the late Mediaeval period, its called the "Mabinogion". and the tale that Robert Plant was inspired by was the White Lady, Rhiannon.

I know this because I'm a proud Welshman and a student of Celtic history and Mediaevalism.

Bad King Smilie
Arrghh!! Hail, Led Zeppelin & Blind Guardian fans alike!!! Im so glad to see that im not the only one here! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie

I am a hardcore Led Zeppelin fan, and i like the Blind Guardians "Nightfall in Middle Earth". Im so glad that someone finnaly brought up the LOTR lirics in Zepp. As i recall, they mention Gollum, the Ringwraiths, something about the West (Stairway to Heaven), and the "Misty Mountain Hop". I know there is more, but im not sure which now. If im correct, the only real fan of Tolkien's works was the vocal, ROBERT PLANT . I think the Nightfall cd is cool, its got some cool songs that i really like ( and i dont usually like metal, none of it). After " The Immigration Song", "Ramble on" is my favourite song by Led Zeppelin. Of course i like them all, but to narrow it down i only mentioned these two. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
I have also heard that the Beatles wanted to do their own version of The Hobbit. John wanted to be Gandalf. George wanted to be Gollum. Apparently they even approached a movie producer with the idea, but no one was interested in it at the time. Go figure.

I came across this little bit while posting an article on the Homepage about the film Ringers that's coming out.

Quote:
and its most tantalizing what-if scenario involves John Lennon trying to interest both David Lean and Stanley Kubrick into making a movie of Tolkien's fantasy epic.

Elf Winking Smilie
Thanks for the link to the music site - i guess that kinda has it covered then!!!!

cheers
Blind Guardian are really great!!! The Nightfall album is worth listening to... But they also have tracks like "Lord of the Rings", "Gandalf's Rebirth", "The Bard Song - The Hobbit"...

I'd say Nightwish has "Elvenpath", yet that is not exclusively inspired from Tolkien; more like it has to do with Elf mythology & fairy-tales in general. It does mention Bilbo, though... The same with "Wishmaster", where they mention Lorien and Elbereth.
Man, I was just going to creat a thread just for this purpose when I found this. I didn't know it was here. Man I love it! I noticed like a couple weeks ago that Led Zep's "Ramble On" had refurences to lotr in it I was amazed! This is an awesome thread here I'm lovin' it!
Led Zeppelin owns!

Arwen Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
But then there is even the rumor that the beatles wanted to adapt the lotr but Tolkien refused them

Rumour? It's true!!! I read this thing with all the details. Well, most of them. And who was going to play who and then Tolkien was like "BANG!!!" Back to the drawing board, chaps.

Led Zeppelin? It's ringing these little bells like "Loni, you should know who this is" and I"m like "Yeah, but I don't." I should find some Led Zeppelin.
here are the lyrics to misty mountain hop. The song is about a kids first expeiriance with drugs but some people think it was really the story of Bilbo going with the dwarves. It's possible, the story goes right along with the song.
Quote:
Walkin' in the park just the other day, baby,
What do you, what do you think I saw?
Crowds of people sittin' on the grass with flowers in their hair said,
"Hey, Boy, do you wanna score?"
And you know how it is.
I really don't know what time it was, woh, oh,
so I asked them if I could stay awhile.

I didn't notice but it had got very dark and I was really
Really out of my mind.
Just then a policeman stepped up to me and asked us, said, "Please,hey,
would we care to all get in line, Get in line."
Well, you know, they asked us to stay for tea and have some fun; Oh, oh.
he said that his friends would all drop by, ooh.

Why don't you take a good look at yourself and describe what you see,
and baby, baby, baby, do you like it?
There you sit, sitting spare like a book on a shelf rustin',
ah, not trying to fight it.
You really don't care if they're comin'; oh, oh,
I know that it's all a state of mind.

If you go down in the streets today, baby, you better,
you better open your eyes.
Folk down there really don't care, really don't care, really don't care , which, which way the pressure lies,
so I've decided what I'm gonna do now.
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
where the spirits go now,
over the hills where the spirits fly.
I really don't know.

From www.sing365.com

Here is a link to a led zeppelin/tolkien relations page which describes each tolkien song and how it relates. Pretty interesting page.
Led Zeppelin/Tolkien RelationsLink Title
I know lots of music groups who sing about tolkien's work, all metal, like Blind Guardian, I'll get you the names of their cds and their names, my cd collection is in my house and I'm at school, but for the record... Metal rules!!!
I knew about Led Zep doing the LOTR lyrics but my hubby just told me that Rush did one too, the Necormancer, the lyrics are spoken...

Under the Shadow/Return of the Prince

The 3 travellers of Willowdale....entering the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer.

Give Rush a go Thumbs Up Smilie
Last night on Charlie Rose. I saw Robert Plant, the Led Zep's lead singer, he just came out with new album titled Mighty Rearranger. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
yeh i bought that a few days ago, i was pleasantly surprised, not as good as zeppelin in their heyday though
I heard one song of his on the radio and wasnt overly impressed, but it takes me more then once to start liking a song. Nothing will ever be as good as led zeppelin at their prime. How did he look on the show? old?
Quote:
I knew about Led Zep doing the LOTR lyrics but my hubby just told me that Rush did one too, the Necormancer, the lyrics are spoken...

The Necromancer does have a very Tolkieny feel about it, and I have always delberated whether it is based on Middle Earth or some other fantasy land. The events in the song do follow closely to Frodo's journey, but also differ significantly. In the Necromancer, the hero is By-Tor (a character who also appears in another Rush song called By-Tor and the Snowdog. I have never come across this By-Tor character in any of the books I have read so far but I would be interested to know if anyone else has. His name has a Norse sound about it.... Amarie? Grev?
Yeah.... I took her. ^_^

ZEPPELIN RULES!!
When my hubby goes on-line anywhere his user name is by_tors_best _friend. He LOVES Rush and Led Zeph (and of course me!!!) and has even had the 4 Led Zeph symbols tattooed on his arm - he wants swan song but I'm not sure about this one...

Just some added info for you all to muse on... Cool Elf Smilie
Quote:
How did he (Robert Plant) look on the show? old?
Well from my vantage point of 65, he looked old. He didn't look as young as he should of, had he laid of drugs when he was young, but neither do the Stones who announced they are going on another tour again, and some of them look near dead. Elk Grinning Smilie
Quote:
some of them look near dead.

haha, good one Grondy. Yeah it is too bad that they were famous during the seventies and ended up wasting away years on drugs. Smoke Smilie Rolling Eyes Smilie Dead Smilie Shaking Head Smilie
Battle of Evermore is by far one of the greatest songs ever .... it's that simple.

Queen of Light took her bow, And then she turned to go, owyn
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, And walked the night alone. Aragorn

Oh, dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight, And time will tell us all. armies of mordor are moving

Oh, throw down your plow and hoe, Rest not to lock your homes. speaking to the people of rohan?

Side by side we wait the might of the darkest of them all. waiting for sauron or the lord of the nazgul? either way... it's a bad guy

I hear the horses' thunder down in the valley below, charge of the rohirrim from the hornburg?
I'm waiting for the angels of Avalon, waiting for the eastern glow. how'd they end up in here? okay there... someone was doing some good herbs... but it sounds nice in the song

The apples of the valley hold, The seeds of happiness,
The ground is rich from tender care, Repay, do not forget, no, no.
Dance in the dark of night, sing to the morning light.

The apples turn to brown and black, The tyrant's face is red.

Oh war is the common cry, Pick up your swords and fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad that mortals never know.

Oh, well, the night is long the beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise, waiting for the eastern glow. waiting for gandalf's return

The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall, the ring wraiths ride in black, Ride on. moving on to gondor and the battle of pelennor fields

Sing as you raise your bow, shoot straighter than before. legolas
No comfort has the fire at night that lights the face so cold.

Oh dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning light.
The magic runes are writ in gold to bring the balance back. Bring it back. i'm thinking something to do with the elves and thier magic... but also the gold and runes reference makes me think of the dwarves

At last the sun is shining, The clouds of blue roll by,
With flames from the dragon of darkness, the sunlight blinds his eyes. the fell-beast? or is this a reference to smaug in the hobbit?

Ooh, Bring it back, Bring it back...

that's pretty much what i think it all means...

and blind guardian rocks my socks! i don't think there's a lotr fan that doesn't have that album somewhere!
Now, I love Zeppelin (and Tolkien, of course) to death, and The Battle of Evermore in particular (I've found a good test of familiarity with Zeppelin and the Trilogy is whether one goes there or to Ramble On when asked about references) but I have a quibble with the above analysis of the first two lines. Personally (I'm not Robert Plant or Jimmy Page,) I see it as more of a description of the transition from the Celtic to the Christian theology that took places centuries ago in their neck of of the woods. "Queen of Light," in other words, is in the vein of Marion Zimmer Bradleys chapter "The Queen of Air and Darkness" in The Mists of Avalon (that's how they got here,) and "the Prince of Peace" is a well known title to those familiar with it. Of course, this view makes the phrases more appropriate for the end than the beginning of the song, but I can see problems with Aragorn as the Prince of Peace, and Eowyn as Queen of Light, for that matter (since she never held a throne.) Just my two cents (or tuppence, as the case may be.)
Quote:
Yeah it is too bad that they were famous during the seventies and ended up wasting away years on drugs

I wouldn't exactly call a lifestyle in which they were one of the most successful bands of all time, amassed a fortune, and managed to sleep with a whole host of beautiful women "wasted". .. And after a lifetime of excess, they can still dance around a stage better than most other sixty year olds. I don't think having enjoyed life to the full they would describe themselves as having wasted it.
Shucks, another of the scenes I missed! Sometimes I think it's too bad I'm a pre-Boomer. I missed out on all that mind expanding junk, free-love, and heavy-metal music; having had to settle for 'wine, women, and song' and 'Cigareets and whuskey and wild wild women, they'll drive you crazy they'll drive you insane '. Elk Grinning Smilie
Sometimes it's timing, and sometimes it's location, location, location. After all, Kerouac was a pre-Boomer, and where would the counterculture be without him (not to mention Allan Ginsberg.) I frequently reflect on how On the Road and the Trilogy were two of the most influential books in my life, for all I was born after their most noticable effects had taken place, though in fairness I have to admit I chiefly value On the Road as a stepping stone to The Dharma Bums. Pass me the pipeweed, Gandalf.....

Just to throw it out there, one thing I DO prefer about PT over CGCS is I can edit/delete embarrassing/mispelled (like "there" for "their" above; why does the net encourage misuse of homophones?) at any time I want, rather than being limited to a certain timespan.
as i am short of time and can not look through this thread to see if anyone already wrote this, Led Zepplin wrote in the battle of evermore something like the castle walls, the rinwraiths riding black Wiggle Smilie
haha posted onn this page with an explanation what a fool i am
Elrose, if you edit/delete your errant posts right away, you could maybe fool us instead of being a self-expressed one. Elk Grinning Smilie
thank you grondy, if anything, this proves that i am a fool Jumping Flame Smilie Wink Smilie
I'm a Led Zeppelin fan and I never noticed this. As soon as I read this thread I dashed to my library and found that song. I'm listening to it as a write. I cannot wait to hear that line Smile Smilie
Hail to all Led Zeppelin fans!!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

Im glad to see so many people that like to listen their music. Im a great fan of LZ , always was. Thats probably because of how my dad raised me. Orc Smiling Smilie He's a big fan as well, i owe it all to him.
I first heard of this a year or two ago and though I haven't reviewed any of the posts yet I am sure 20 people have already answered it if not put all of the lyrics in, but the song is called "Ramble On" I used to listen to this song well before I heard anything about it ahving anything to do with Lord of the Rings. Shows how well I listen huh, but he does say "Mordor" and "Gollum" in a weird way...