Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Dream Movies

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Dream Movies   
Are there any people out there who wish that someone would create a particular film? There are several books that I can think of that would make awesome movies. For example, the Silmarillion, or C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, just to name a few of my ideas. Hopefully this will become a hotJumping Flame Smilie topic.Elf With a Big Grin SmilieElk Grinning Smilie
That's a bit of a double edged sword. If one loves a book and wishes to see it as a film then one is almost sure of some level of disappointment when the film is made. To love a book is to love what the author has committed to the page and most films leave out huge amounts of book material in order to add extra stuff to appeal to the general film going public.

I'd be more inclined to say I love a book so much I *don't* want a film made out of it.

I'd like to see a "Tigana" movie and a "Dark Tower" movie series.
I would 'dream' that the book 'School Library Mystery' i read that when i was quite small, i liked it then, but it would be good to see it as a film
Yeah, I agree with Vee; I've already been down that road with the Trilogy, fearing no producer would be able to capture the feel of the world only to have one do so and then ruin the plot that was written for him.
I was thinking that I could maybe go into the whole film-producer thing. The King Arthur movie that was made, I think in 2004, stunk. It didn't even go near the commonly accepted version of the Arthurian legend. So someone has to make a better one; why not me? I'm one of those people who was disappointed and upset at PJ for messin' up the plot. I like movies to stick to the story that the authur wrote, so I'm sure that I could do a better job on the Arthurian legends, and possibly the Lord of the Rings. That is also one of the main reasons why The Chronicles of Narnia movie is better than LotR in my book.
Here is a list of the King Arthur Legend Movies as lifted From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Quote:
This is a list of movies based on Arthurian legend:

* Knights of the Round Table (1953)
* The Sword in the Stone (animated movie, 1963)
* Lancelot and Guinevere (1963)
* Camelot (1967)
* Lancelot du Lac (1974)
* Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
* Perceval le Gallois (1979)
* Excalibur (1981)
* Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
* Guinevere (1994)
* First Knight (1995)
* A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
* Merlin (1998)
* Quest for Camelot (animated movie, 1998)
* The Mists of Avalon (2001)
* King Arthur (2004)
* A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
And there were probably many others earlier, in black and white and both with and without sound.
We ARE talking silver screen though, right? I don't know about the others, but since I'd never heard of a film of The Mists of Avalon I was intrigued and headed to my Wikimark, only to find out why I'd never heard of it: I don't have cable, and thus was completely oblivious of TNTs miniseries. I'm no cinemaphile, but 'taint the same.
I would choose The Silmarillon over any other.
Yes, I'm sure PJ would honour us with another lovely adaptation.
Quote:
I was thinking that I could maybe go into the whole film-producer thing. The King Arthur movie that was made, I think in 2004, stunk. It didn't even go near the commonly accepted version of the Arthurian legend.

FionwŰ, have you ever read some of the original Arthurian Romances, such as:
Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory
Arthurian Romances by Chretien de Troyes
The Mabinogion by Anonymous
Or The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffry of Monmouth

You might change your mind about that 2004 movie if you do read some of the old, original Arthurian legends. More of the modern "accepted" legends and movies are the ones that don't even come close to these original texts.

Morambar, you can rent the Mists of Avalon mini-series. It's out on DVD. I actually haven't seen it, but I have been meaning to rent it.
Quote:
Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory
Arthurian Romances by Chretien de Troyes
The Mabinogion by Anonymous
Or The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffry of Monmouth

No, I have not read any of those books. I read the ones by Howard Pyle. But thanks, I'll look into them.
Rather than a film about the Silmarillion, I would like to see one made specifically about the history of the Ring of Barahir (the Ring Aragorn wears). Its history is long and eventful, covering many of the chapters in the Silmarillion. See...
Ring of Barahir
To the list of Arthurian movies Grondy listed above, I would add "Merlin's Apprentice" (2005). But it, too, is a departure from the original legends.

How about someone with lots of money comes along in about 5 years and pays PJ to remake much of his movies for the 10th anniversary edition DVD? Heck, someone will only have to pay my air and hotel fare, and I will go to NZ and lean on him (with my staff, of course) until all the movies are something Tolkien would be proud of!

Meanwhile, I suppose it would be nice if the producer and director who has done the new Narnia movie (when they have nothing better to do) could try their hands at doing The Quest of the Riddlemaster by Patricia McKillip. I think if that were done right, everyone would be talking about it for years to come.
Mahabharata ( महाभारत ) (Wikipedia article on Mahabharata). I guess it wouldn't be possible to cover the entire thing. That would take atleast 100 movies I guess. Anyway, I think all you Tolkien fans would absolutely love the Mahabharata.

Actually I heard something about a trilogy being made in Hindi, to be released in 2008. If it turns out to be any good (Mani Ratnam being the director, there's a strong possibility that it will be good. Though, Bollywood sucks generally..), I'd recommend you people to watch it, probably with subtitles I guess. It's really interesting.

P.S. Try not to look at it as religious literature. I mean, it's the world's biggest, longest and the most comprehensive example of poetry..

Edited by Floyd on 22/05/06 at 10:45 IST
My most humble apologies for repeating this post here, but I think here it is more appropriate. Hope I haven't done a bad thing repeating it here, I just think it is relevant for this thread:

What would people think about a kind of television adaptation of the Silmarillion? I believe that due to the historical telling of the 1st Age and the silmarills and the general make up of short stories, a movie would be almost, if not completely, impossible. There would be no main character or even ensemble of characters to hold movie-goer's attention. Not to mention the many other incompatabilities the inherent nature of the Silmarillion has with being adapted for the silver screen.
I do believe, though that it could lend itself very much to either an extended mini-series, or a continual series of epsiodes covering a few chapters at a time, where necessary, or with single longer chapters covering more events. I am about to embark upon a comprehensive writing course, and it covers writing/adapting material for radio, stage and television. I've been thinking about the idea for about a year now fully understanding the immense and extremely difficult task it would be for anyone who undertook it.
It would require the very same level of attention and detail as Peter Jackson's magnificent adaptation of LOTR, and indeed I cannot envisage any other production company being responsible for actually getting it made. That said, it wouldn't necessarily require Peter Jackson to adapt the story(ies) for the screen.
Initial problems to consider of course, are that in many parts a considerable amount of dialogue and conversation would have to be written/added/interpreted to make it suitable and viewable. I consider this a potential problem due to hardcore fans (of which I consider myself too). Whoever may write a screenplay would more or less do so from their perspective (as did Peter Jackson et al in writing the LOTR screenplay). This means that many hardcore fans might not accept the adaptation as good enough. My view on this is that if it is to be adapted for the screen this is unavoidable, as was with the LOTR movies.
I do believe, however that it is a price well worth paying to bring the myths and legends of Tolkien's First Age to life. Accessible to many who will never read the book, and to encourage others to read the book with a new passion and to enter into Tokien's own imagination as it appears on the written page.
This is all just a hardcore fan with a pure love for the silmarillion and a desire to not only see it imagined in the flesh, but also to bring it into the lives of those who would never otherwise experience the sheer brilliance of the Silmarillion.
What do people think?
I think Vir's on the right track with films about individual stories rather than the whole Sil in one fell swoop. It would be like the Abridged Shakespeare series - fast and funny. A TV series, as suggested by Isofir, may be the best way to achieve more complete stories.
I still hold the Silmarillion as sacred, and I don't think anyone will make the movie quite right, thus I would rather it be forever a book. But then again, I , like any other fan, want to see the Silmarillion actually come to life. So if there is gonna be a show, I'd probably watch it, though I'm sure to be disappointed. So, I guess I'm hoping the show will never be made.
This is true; to me the Silmarillion is similarly sacred, not just in its great scope of storytelling and wonder, but on a personal level it actually seems to make me feel really good if I'm down and start reading it. The finished product even as a TV series is not going to satisfy my strict wishes of what should or even must be included. It can only be an interpretation, and even a good interpretation could never do the justice to the masterpiece that it is.

For those who truly wish to keep Beleriand and all the events of the 1st age and before in their own minds then they do not have to view any prospective series, however I feel the anticipation with how it might turn out would likely push people to see it anyway. Maybe it truly should be left well alone, as happy with the look of Peter Jackson's films I think Tolkien would have been I am aware that he would probably have been very against the whole project and fairly so of course, for these works were his creation, his imaginings. Similarly with the Silmarillion yet with the wonder the films have evoked, I think even a greater wonder albeit (and yes contradictory) on a lesser level than the recent movies, a televised series of the stories of the Silmarillion is a very acceptable format for getting Tolkien's creations across to the viewers.

There could be an added problem with making individual films based on a few of the detailed stories. Purely from the viewers' point of view in that as well as the characters and stories could be adapted I don't think they would be able to command the interest needed for a successful accomplishment of the adaptation. I guess I'm trying to say such individually produced films would lose any kind of cohesiveness of the whole, for how could greater events mentioned be related to without expanding considerably to ensure the correct understanding of the text?
Don't get me wrong I'm not against the idea, but I believe that if it is to ever be attempted, then it should be more of a whole than picking individual stories.

Another idea I had was an elder Aragorn telling the stories of the Silmarillion to his children while in Minas Tirith during the 4th Age, or maybe while staying at Annuminas. Obviously it would cover many years as these stories are great but it could possibly cover the younger years of Eldarion's and/or his sisters' childhood. Their involvement should be quite minimal but I am sure some material could be found from the wealth of publications to pinpoint them appropriately and correctly, i.e. Aragorn shouldn't just be used for the sake of it but have literal legitimacy if that makes sense? I do think it a nice idea though.
Perhaps it could be limited to Aragorn telling them the tale of his hand-me-down ring:

"I know the story of Sauron's Ring Papa, but tell me the story of yours. It looks very old. Where did you get it? Have you had it a long time?"

DId this idea come from one of Val's earlier posts, or did I just come up with it on my own?
Well in order for PJ to make the Sil, he would have to have some kind of authority on Tolkien's work unlike the lotr, simply becuase of the in-depthness of it. Therefore if the films did turn out to be outright inaccurate then that would be down to the loremasters fault not PJ's.

I can understand people wanting to keep the sil as a book, but you would take the film for what it is. You don't compare them. I personally would love to see a re construction of the music of the Ainur, how Morgoth and Sauron are portrade and the many numerous battles of the First age.
LoA, what do you mean by "Therefore if the films did turn out to be outright inaccurate then that would be down to the loremasters fault not PJ's"? If a movie is not accurate, it is not the fault of the author, it is the fault of the filmmaker. You can't blame Tolkien for PJ's inaccuracies in the movies. And it is these inaccuracies which would make us hesitate to gun for such a movie made of any other book of Tolkien, at least by PJ. Of course we are comparing the books to the movies! It is a legitimate comparison. Unfortunately, it became more of a contrast.
You misunderstand.

If PJ was to use a loremaster to help him with the plot of The Silmarillion and the film turned out to be inaccurate, then providing PJ did what the loremaster said, it would be the loremasters fault, not PJ's.
It might not be the loremasters fault if PJ listen, but so many of the remakes of classic books are awful that I can't imagine they'd ever get it right.

After all the stuff they had to miss out of LOTR I don't think I'd trust them to remake the Silmarillion to the standard I'd expect.

There's an example of a film of a particular book I love which, even though it's not out yet I would never go and see it. It's a film version of Beowulf, that has Angelena Jolie in it as the voice of the monster Grendel. It's supposed to be so appalling because they completely ignored the expert and this may be why it has not come out yet, (I was advised against seeing it by a lecturer friend of mine, who has seen part of it and wondered if they had even read the book!)

This is why I'd be unhappy about anybody making a film of the Silmarillion. If they did not know and love the book, then they'd probably make it simply to please audiences and not follow the book properly. Even PJ might do this, as it can be see that he left in the epic and audience pleasing parts of LOTR, although the film is not as awful as it could have been, (Arwen at Helm's Deep!!!)
Quote:
There's an example of a film of a particular book I love which, even though it's not out yet I would never go and see it. It's a film version of Beowulf, that has Angelena Jolie in it as the voice of the monster Grendel.

There's already a film version of Beowulf starring Christopher Lambert and Rhona Mitra. It's pretty crap, but I liked it.
Quote:
Well in order for PJ to make the Sil

I hope not, he'd ruin the movie. Sure, he did a good job on LotR, but it could have been better.
Yeh, saw that other version of Beowulf, it's the kinda crap that you can enjoy! This one is supposed to be so bad that it's not even enjoyable!

Yeah, I think The Silmarlillion directed by PJ would be pretty awful as he made a pretty bad version of LOTR. That's why I'd rather it was never made a film, because what's in my head is so much better than what they could ever put on film.

I'd rather see a movie done about the rise and fall of moria or the history of Khazad-Dum. there would be a lot of stuff to tell about; the banishment of the dwarfs who became known as the petty dwarfs, the reign of durins. the friendship with the jewels smiths of Hollin, the release of the balrog, etc... i mean who haven't been interested in rhe mines of moria?

i've always wanted to know more since i read about the battle for the mines of moria in the hoobbit.
Once again I think PJ definately should make a film of the sil - becuase if it does turn out to be a not-so-good alternative to the book - it would still be a brilliant film like lotr.

How many of you can honestly say that lotr was a rubbish film (forgetting about the book, just take it for what it is)?
I for one am happy they made LOTR: According to Peter Jackson for they were three excellent films that held my interest, even if they did make major deviations from the text on a few occasions. I would rather have them than nothing, or just the Rankin-Bass cartoons and the incomplete Ralph Bakshi version.
Exactly!!! Rather it had been created than never - exactly how the Sil should be viewed - as a film - not as an alternative to the book.
That's true. Even though the films weren't great, they are still enjoyable. And at least they did all three of these, rather than just the FOTR that they did in the cartoon, (this annoyed my dad no end!)

I no that it wouldn't be as good as the book (The Silmarillion), but I don't think they could concievable do it anyway. There's just too much to get in, even more so than LOTR.
I admit it would be alot to cram into one film but perhaps they could make another trilogy and include the Second Age in it
That's a good idea, now we just have to pursuade pepople to back it, make it and star in it! Shouldn't be too hard *gets on her 'red' phone to hollywood* Give me a few years and I'll do it, probably...
Quote:
I would rather have them than nothing,

I agree completely, that's what I was trying to say to a friend, but she got insulted.

Quote:
I admit it would be alot to cram into one film but perhaps they could make another trilogy and include the Second Age in it

But what if it was made into several films, i.e., the Tale of Beren, the story of Turin, Feanor, Tuor, and Fingolfin. That would break it down, and cover a large part of the Sil. A movie about Maglor would cover even more.
I would never want any one to attempt to make the Sil or Unfinished tales unless they were going to make one based upon each group of characters to a storyline. It would be shameful to just trying cramming every exquisite thing into a story or two.
But I think the right person could do something very wonderful with Leaf by Niggle. I should very much love to see that.
Quote:
But I think the right person could do something very wonderful with Leaf by Niggle. I should very much love to see that.

I hadn't thought of that, yeah, that could be a pretty neat movie. So would the one about the farmer and the dragon, can't think of the name right now.
Quote:
So would the one about the farmer and the dragon, can't think of the name right now.

'Ăgidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo or in the vulgar tongue Farmer Giles of Ham.'
i would love to see Wilbur Smith's books made into movies. Especially his Egyptian and Courtney series.
Would love to see the Alvin maker books as a movie. And kings bag of bones, of course Bruce Willis was sposed to be doing that years ago but I've pretty much given up hope. Really wouldn't wanna see DT Vir, just too much book for the average director, and lets face it, they'd have to cut it so much it would be unrecognisable.
I would like to see the Prydain Chronicles put into a series of movies. Done faithfully according to the book, the way Narnia pretty much was.
I said when I first came to this wonderful site that Unfinished Tales totally changed my life. And it did, because it gave me the courage to make the hardest choice of my life no matter the cost. And the cost has been terrible, but absolutely worth it.
However the story that made me fall in love with Tolkien as an AUTHOR and brought back all the misty memories from my seriously Celtic upbringing, including the absolute belief in Faerie, and the story I most would like to see made into a movie is Smith of Wooton Major.
To me it is the most Faerie, the most touching and spiritual work he ever did. I happened to come across it one day at the library and decided to take down Perilous Realm from the shelf and read a story or two on my lunch break from further studies across the street(uni course)
I remember clearly that by the second page all the world around me, the people in the library, the sounds and smells and sites simply vanished away and I stepped into that world. It was one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me and by the end I was crying. I put the book down and buried my face in my hands and wept from the depths of my heart. Whether anyone saw or noticed I don't know. Neither do I care. But that was the unbelievably profound effect Tolkien's skill at Faerie writing had upon me.I never once felt this world at all. Last night I read it again for only the second time and sure enough it happened once more. And I walked with the elves and faeries and saw strange stars and characters that were as real to me as my own family.
Outstanding. But whoever made the movie, in my opinion , would have to have extensive study in faerie myth and legends and a love for it or they could never capture the true feeling of the story no matter how much digital effect or modern magic they used.
That is the most amazing part of Tolkien's works, no one else I have ever read pulled me into the story as much as Tolkien did. When I first read Tolkien, I started with the Hobbit, and was immersed in the world so entirely, that I didn't notice that I was reading in the twilight until my mom interrupted, and turned on a light. I have read a very large number of books, classics and newer ones, some very good while others are okay. Some had very good plots or characters, but were written poorly, or lacked depth, making it shallow, thus ruining it, while others were vice versa, but Tolkien is the only one I've read who excels at all, written wondrously, a magnificient world, a lot of depth and history, an excellent plot, and amazing characters.
I could not have put it better, and when you are younger although you have the ability to immerse yourself more quickly, still there is something in the heart of a child or teen that cannot stand fake or phoney ,and his work is not.
Quote:
Some had very good plots or characters, but were written poorly, or lacked depth, making it shallow, thus ruining it, while others were vice versa, but Tolkien is the only one I've read who excels at all, written wondrously, a magnificient world, a lot of depth and history, an excellent plot, and amazing characters.

I am glad to have found authors who equal and even surpass Tolkien's skill in storytelling, though in the genre of speculative fiction the number of such authors can be counted on one hand.

Like I've already posted above, any book by Guy Gavriel Kay would be perfect to turn into a movie since all but one of his books are standalones.

In fact, I believe his Lions of al-Rassan is already being adapted as a film or miniseries.

Michael Moorcock's Elric of MelnibonÚ series would be nice to see as a film/miniseries too, but since that universe is as immense and intricate as Tolkien's, I guess it wouldn't work out that well.

Quote:
Really wouldn't wanna see DT Vir, just too much book for the average director, and lets face it, they'd have to cut it so much it would be unrecognisable.

Agreed, but at least they could make The Talisman and/or its sequel, eh? Not sure if Spielberg is still working on that, but this book should be ideal to be adapted to the big screen, it's a standalone novel after all.