Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Poll: Which Language or Dialec

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Poll: Which Language or Dialec   
Why did you choose the particular language or dialect you would most like to learn from those listed in our poll?

I chose hobbitish for its rusticity; though were I younger, I'd like to learn Entish, the language of the Ents. As it is, in the remaining twenty-some years that I may have available to study it, I would still be reading chapter one in their Entish textbook after wading through their long winded prologue. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Rohirric. I like Rohan, despite the blondes.
Quenyan, for the wisdom found in it--though I would like to know many more tongues than one!

Why was the previous poll taken down so soon? Was the time up? I thought the voting was just getting interesting.
Quote:
Why was the previous poll taken down so soon? Was the time up? I thought the voting was just getting interesting.

The previous poll had been up for about 17 days and I felt that was long enough. We had wanted to change them weekly, but that could be said about how our supply of new polls were being made, a little weakly. So now we just change them when we figure they have been up for too long. There is no reason why you can't continue the discussions in any of these older "Poll: ..." threads. And the link at the bottom of the poll has been finally fixed to now show the results of the previous polls instead of a broken link error message.
Sindarin is my choice. I believe there would be a larger sum of written material to study, and I reckon it might give me ability to communicate with many interesting people. Elf Smilie Read Smilie
i chose Quenya, as Olorin said, the wisdom in it compels me to learn a few words, the have such a gentle nature in each word. Plus, i'd be able to actually understand what the songs and poems in the books mean, also in the films. That may be Sindarin though, but id love to learn both of the elven dialects and languages
Exactly my thougths Loss ..maybe Im a romantic person but I think the words are like music to my ears .. I've heard a tape when the master Tolkien himself spoke Quenya I think ,and I would 've like to understand what he was talking about..beside listening to his voice ..
I know exactly what you mean Mellon, the language just sounds so beautiful, it's amazing. I'd like to learn all of the Elvish languages, but I chose Sindarin, beacause most of the elvish in LotR is Sindarin.

I started learning Quenya during my summer holiday, back when I was in college, but alas, I no longer have time for such things. Though I also think it would be easier learning in a group - that way you can practice on each other and improve your vocabulary and pronounciation... but sadly I don't know anyone else near by who'd like to learn the language.
I also think that the Elvish languages have a poetry and romanticism about them. I voted for Quenya as I enjoy the sound of it more. But this is just a personal thing! Happy Elf Smilie
I think the Elven tongues are very enchanting, though Sindarin seems more practical than Quenya if you're living in ME, so I chose Sindarin, besides, the Sindar population is much larger than the High Elvens, and it's used everywhere.

My next choice would have been Entish, though. You know how much I love plants. Well, I guess trees aren't quite the same, but still, they make things grow, don't they? Perhaps there is a spell in Entish that affects plants in general... Oh dear, do I sound like Poison Ivy??? But, like Grondy, I don't think the pronounciation would quite work for me. I am rather unused to mumbling and growling.
I chose Sindarin too, like Cloveress said, it's more practical if you're living in ME. But mostly because my friend and I had learned a little Quenya, but they use a lot of Sindarin in the book and in the movies. So I think it would be nice to learn it.

On the other hand, the Black Speech is really appealing too...
i choose entish
how cool would it be to walk rounf then see some1 and spen like 20 minutes saying "hi"?
Quote:
how cool would it be to walk rounf then see some1 and spen like 20 minutes saying "hi"?

Considering time is money, you would either get very rich or very poor.
Quote:
Considering time is money, you would either get very rich or very poor.
Along with those results from speaking Entish, I think you would get very thin from hunger: by the time you finished saying "What's for dinner?" it would already be tomorrow afternoon and you would have missed three meals. Orc Grinning Smilie
Quote:
Along with those results from speaking Entish, I think you would get very thin from hunger: by the time you finished saying "What's for dinner?" it would already be tomorrow afternoon and you would have missed three meals.

Grondy just came up with the Entish Diet? Orc Going Huh Smilie
ya but imagine this

"Johnny did you throw this?"
"gershbagnerserefman thertoi huyrighjui buter booogeswee gooobraaaagg naaaaaaaaaarfaaaaangggersasssaaa........."
i guess it wouldnt be that cool, wasnt it meant to fit the ents calmness and promtoe non rashnes?
if some1 spoke it here, people whould just get anooyed and beat him
Quote:
if some1 spoke it here, people whould just get anooyed
If one of our wonderfully long-winded members used Entish to compose their posts here, they would become annoyed when their server timed out and they were required to relogin before they could submit their post. Orc Grinning Smilie I often encounter that problem on a private forum that I frequent.
I choose Rohirric. I've always really liked how the bits and pieces in the book sounded... I don't know. It was close between that and one of the elven languages, though.
I'm still waiting for the grammar and corpus of Taliska to come out! Though I would like to know more about Silvan elvish and Khuzdul.