Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Computer Games

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Computer Games   [1] [2] >>
I've recently started playing Star Wars Battlefront II online, and I was wondering if anyone else plays. If not, what kinds of computer games do you like or play?

I couldn't find a thread that had this kind of topic, CM's, so if there is one could you direct me to it?
I play the Age of Empires series, those strategy type games keep your mind active, there is alot of thinking involved and playing online is great fun. Not sure if anyone plays it, but a good game.
A marvellous grandson of mine has lured me into "Guild Wars". I do admit that I'm very easy convinced that such gameplaying can be entertaining. But please, don't inform my wife! Very Big Grin Smilie Angel Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie
I play Age of Empires and Empire Earth a lot with my son over a LAN, plus a lot of First Person Shooters such as Soldier of Fortune II and Medal of Honour. We also play Icewind Dale and Dungeon Siege together.

I also play Freelancer online on the Getonit (no mods) server... If anyone wants to join the Death Knights clan, you are most welcome.
I only play adventure games, like the Myst series, Broken Sword, Syberia, The longest journey... and action/adventure games like the Prince of Persia series & the Tomb Raider series, or at least I played them... I don't have much time for this now.
I like to play Age of Empires as well, it's a really fun game, though I don't have it. What's your favourite faction in Age of Kings?
How about Total War?
I'm currently playing again, for about the fourth time, Neverwinter Nights. I've played Icewind Dale I & II, the Baldur's Gates, Dungeeon Siege, Pool of Radiance, Torment, all but the latest Tomb Raider, and all the old gold box AD&D computer games. so far I have been able to stay away from online gaming; my offline habit is bad enough as it is. I have pointedly stayed away from all the Lord of the Rings games. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
You should essay to buy yourself a new up-to-date computer so that you can play the latest Tomb Raider installment (Tomb Raider:Legend), Grondy... it's a whole new beginning for Lara, and quite brilliant... although it takes a whole lot of effort to unlock all her outfits... for the first time in 10 years moving Lara around doesn't feel anymore like steering a tanker, but instead now she is literally as agile as the Gold medal winner in gymnastics on the last Olympics.
I haven't played Tomb Raider, but I've seen a review for it. She's not really dressed appropriately, but whatever.
Females in computer games usually are not, but considering the rather high CPU temperatures (30░C - 90░C) and high motherboard temperatures (30░C - 40░C) they have to deal with, one shouldn't wonder about their chronic lack of cloth.
Quote:
....one shouldn't wonder about their chronic lack of cloth.
I still think her best outfit was the form fitting leathers In Love Smilie she wore in the last part of 'TR (4) Chronicles' even if that was the buggiest part of that game and which took much extra work to winŚI was the one that told Stella how to get that last Cyborg unstuck from the pit near the lounge. If he got stuck in that pit, Lara couldn't gas him to get his key for the building exit and the win. Wiggle Smilie
Yes, she has that "catsuit" outfit in Legend too, apart from a "snowsuit" and lots more... they're unlocked by acquiring the necessary number of secrets.

Quote:
If he got stuck in that pit, Lara couldn't gas him to get his key for the building exit and the win.

I know. But it's easy to prevent this bug from occurring, just do not save after pushing the button in the bar room with the chopper.
Quote:
I like to play Age of Empires as well, it's a really fun game, though I don't have it. What's your favourite faction in Age of Kings?
How about Total War?

I view Age of Kings as obselete now, as the expansion to that game came and enhanced the game way beyond what the original was like, my favourite part of Kings though would be the Mangonel, as they are so good vs infantry and is fun to use on the Black Forest Map, you send 2 or 3 around the edge and destroy the trees, as they can attack ground, therefore making an opening on the other side of your enemies base and wipe him out from there. I also like the Bombard Towers, great fun to make about 30 of them to surround your King in Regicide.

But I play Age of Empires 3 and Age of Empires 3: The War Chiefs, they are so good to play online, 8 civis and so many strats to try with each one, Total War on that game is great as so many units are available, I am currrently experimenting tactics with the British, I am very used to Ottomans and French, but British are extrememly good when defending, Iv'e lost a game many a time as they can defend so well, sometimes its quite annoying, any player would has played any game of the Age of Empires series would love Age of Empires 3 or the Expansion Pack: The War Chiefs. Good fun, I have a clan too with most of my friends on AOE3, I see them outside and inside the game, good fun.......
In Age of Kings, I liked to play the Franks. Once, as the Saracens, I was able to convert forty-five Elite Throwing Axemen. The Persians I thought were pretty good too.
Is it possible to play as the Ewoks?
Yes! They're awesome! The Ewoks are tons of fun.
I think Vir was refering to Age of Kings in sarcasm, not Star Wars Battlefront, no you can't play as the Ewoks, be funny if you could. Although, you can't play as the little bear Ewoks in Star War Battle Front, you can't CONTROL them, only see them running about in their cute bear slippers...........
Actually, you can. On Endor Hunt, you can be Ewoks or the Empire.
In Age of Kings I usually played as the Tuetonic Knights because of their bombard canons and towers. With the Conquerors expansion, I use the Spanish mainly.

In Empire Earth I use the option to choose my own abilites rather than using a default nation. The Priest Towers are awesome in that one if you line your walls with them. They will convert pretty much anything the enemy throws at you, so you only have to worry about their artillary (and if you have chosen the options to boost the range and refire rates of your own artillary, and the speed of your cavalry, their artillary is not a problem either).

I also like the Total War games. I finished Medieval a few times using different nations, but ran out of spare time before getting very far with the Rome version.

I'm still a big fan of FPS's though. When I'm not playing Freelancer, I tend to have a bit of a shoot up. Anyone played Painkiller or Just Cause?
Quote:
Anyone played Painkiller or Just Cause?

Only Wolfenstein, Doom and Unreal Tournament.
Real classics those, Vir. I still play all three, along with Medal of Honour and Soldier of Fortune. Deus Ex was another great one, although it was not a pure FPS.
Quote:
I also like the Total War games.

What's the most money you have ever had at one time in Total War?
I don't play Total War, but I'm pretty much a fan of mmorpg's(Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying games)like World of Warcraft and Guildwars.(I am pretty much of a geek when i sit at my computer Smile Smilie
But I play strategy, I like command and conquer and i tried most of the games that is mentioned, except Neverwinter Nigths.(and 3 more) I saw it in the shop, it looked pretty interesting but my computer isn't big enough to manage it because it's full of other games... Teacher Smilie Rolling Eyes Smilie
And that unreal tournament i don't think i wan't to play, no comment...
Well well well...ookay...let's see here...PC games-wise, I play...Morrowind, for PC, because of the modding...because I'm is a CHEATER!!!! heh heh...I also used to play the Sims alot, but I never really the Sims 2, for some reason, I really don't know what. I like most simulation games, played Sim City for awhile, then got tired of getting impeached or whatever as mayor...those snooty citizens didn't like the way I zoned things apparently...Uhm...I absolutely LOVE MMORPGs!!!! I'm getting WoW soon, very soon, in fact, and then I shall kill you all with the undead dominatrix-ness of my undead warlock...who summons a succubus!!!! MOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Heh heh...ehm..anyways...I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon.... I'm also a fan of adventure, point-n-click style games, such as Myst, Riven, or online- The Crimson Room, Viridian Room, the Doors...Hmmm..I play lots of stuff, but for now, until I get World of Warcraft or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, you'll find me making house mods for Morrowind...I have a few funny stories about my modding skills actually...heh heh Orc Grinning Smilie
I used to play Roller Coster Tycoon as well. Also Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit, and computer Risk, which was better than doing it on a board, Rolling Eyes Smilie took forever. I'm hoping to get Battle for Middle-Earth II for Christmas. Anyone play that?
Quote:
I'm hoping to get Battle for Middle-Earth II for Christmas. Anyone play that?

I play it every day for an hour or so. It is my favoutite game of all time, until the expansion "The rise of the Witch-King" comes out. Make sure to tell me your name when you get it so we can play each other. Wink Smilie . You won't be disappointed by getting it for Christmas, especially if you like Lord of the Rings.
I love Lord of the Rings, that's one of the reasons I'm on PT.

Quote:
Make sure to tell me your name when you get it so we can play each other. .

My online name, the one I go by in all of my very few online activities, except e-mail, is FionwŰ, or some variation of it.

Quote:
I use FionwŰ or Fionwe in all of my online activities, like online gaming. In Total War I'm Lord FionwŰ, in S.W. Battlefront II I'm known as Master Fionwe.

I posted that in the "How did you get your user name?" thread. I'll probably go by just plain FionwŰ. With different games, I try to place an appellation before the name FionwŰ that has some appropiate meaning with the game. Master Fionwe as in Jedi Master Fionwe. Lord FionwŰ as in a lord, a nobleman.
What do you go by in Battle for Middle-Earth II, Aldaradan?
Why not continue this Battle for Middle-Earth II conversation using our private messages (PM) which are accessable via the 'My Accout' link at the top of the page. Please. Happy Elf Smilie
I play morrowind too but im no cheater, though i get help from my cousin.
hoping too get wow to christmas(i tried it a bit at my friend...AND I LOVED IT!) Christmas Smilie Standing Up Santa Smilie
My grandson talked me into buying the Diablo Warchest, I'll load Diablo and the expansion packs Thursday when he is here for the American holiday of Thanksgiving. I'll hold off on Diablo II until after an master the first one.
Quote:
My grandson talked me into buying the Diablo Warchest,

How much pursuading did that take, Grondy? Smile Smilie Isn't it great to have kids around, who can give us an excuse for divulging in our hobbies.
OK...i mostly play what Grondy and Ice play... That is i already played Morrowind, ALL the D&D games (Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate), and i often indulge in some World of Warcraft. I have the whole set of Neverwinter with the expansions, as well as Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 with the expansions which i started playing AGAIN a few days ago. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I want to get the new Battle for Middle Earth 2, cause i played the 1 and loved it (thou it was rather crude), but i dont know if my computer will be up to the task.. Orc Sad Smilie ( i have a really crapy computer...) What else...well there were the Diablo's...umm...and other games i cant remember right now...
my dad used to play Diablo but that was when i was younger so my dad didn't wanted me to watch, but later i tried it pretty cool game Smile Smilie
What about Medieval Total War II? It looks like an awesome game, far more realistic battles, among other things.
Has anyone played it yet, or know a lot about it, 'cause I would appreciate some more detailed info on the game.
I'd like to know what people think of Medieval Total War II.
My brother lent me Medieval Total war, but I have not played it as yet. He also played Battle for Middle-earth 2 and as far as I know he prefers that...
I play the following games:

Neverwinter Nights (with all the expansions)
Neverwinter Nights II
Icewind Dale I
Icewind Dale II
Baulder's Gate II
Age of Empires

I would play Baulder's Gate I but have yet to find it, I try to stay away from ordering it online.
Quote:
Has anyone played it yet, or know a lot about it, 'cause I would appreciate some more detailed info on the game.

I am sure you can find detailed reviews of this game on specialized gaming sites.
Could anyone give me the name and some info on a really good, somewhat long-play-time, RPG computer game? A fantasy or medieval one. I've looked around the Internet, and haven't been able to find one that I like a lot. The RotK game is pretty cool, but it's very short.
Neverwinter Nights is a very long game if you explore all the areas and side quests and if you don't race through it. If you also get the 'Shadows of the Undretide' expansion and start it with a new character and when finished transfer it to the 'Hordes of the Underdark' the second expansion, you will have two long playing games. Of course, you can only have one NCP henchman with you in the first two of these and three in the later part of the third. Though you can call up temporary critters to also assist you via spells in all of these.

I found 'Dungeon Seige' was also a long playing game if you thoroughly explore each area rather than race through it, and you can have up to seven activeand controlable NCPs if you can find or afford them. (This assumes you don't play online, I never have.) Some of these slots can be used for pack animals if you want to collect all the loot rather than just the best. The 'Legends of Aranna' expansion is almost as long and was also fun. I've played both of these in easy, normal, and hard modes and had fun each time; though I'd suggest you play it in one of the easier modes before trying hard, as the potions and loot are mush harder to find; though your character can develop to higher levels.

I haven't been able to play the Second Generations of the two above games as I'm still running Windows 98 on my 700Hz computer.
Quote:
Could anyone give me the name and some info on a really good, somewhat long-play-time, RPG computer game? A fantasy or medieval one.

Planescape Torment; Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind; Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion; Gothic 3; Neverwinter Nights 1+2; Icewind Dale; Dungeon Siege 1+2; Baldur's Gate 1+2; Diablo 1+2.

For detailed info, I suggest reading a review on a specialized gaming site; I cannot give much info myself since I have only played Dungeon Siege. I am not really a fan of this genre.
i play age of empire Ii:the conquerors expansion. my favourite civs are mayans and Britons especially the latter because of the range of their longbows. when i attack i usually create about 120 of them and break them in three divisions. then i put them on the enemy shore supported by 20-30 galleons and watch the enemy's soldier get massacred even before they get close. (i play on moderate diff)

and i also play a variety of retro games which i download on abondonware sites such as street fighter turbo, dune 2, lotr fellowship, lotr ttt, great courts 2. etc...
Quote:
FionwŰ Urion:
Could anyone give me the name and some info on a really good, somewhat long-play-time, RPG computer game? A fantasy or medieval one. I've looked around the Internet, and haven't been able to find one that I like a lot. The RotK game is pretty cool, but it's very short.

Do you have Xbox becuase there are 2 amazing Star Wars RPGs on the xbox. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic & Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II The 1st one is definitly over 40 hours long. The 2nd one is pushing 60 hours even more if you do every sub quest and such (trust me they are such good games you'll do everything you can)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KoToR) is actually for PC and Xbox but the sequel is only on Xbox. If you have Xbox the games are apparently better for Xbox so i'd stick with that version if you have the choice.

They are really cool games because they give you that feeling like you are actually in control of the story, you pick your own conversation replies and you can also have influence on the out come of the game by picking different actions through out the game, so you'll want to play each one twice. Besides what else cooler than becomming a Sith Lord and frying everyone you see with lighting and such? Or you can be on the light side, your choice...

check out this link Link Click Here. Apparently for $40 you can buy the last 5 top rated Star Wars games. Of course KoToR is in it along with 4 other classics.
Try Dungeon Lord for pc, even the demo is awfully long.
Thanks for all the ideas.
I have found some patches for SWBF2, but I need to be a paying member to download them. Does anyone know a site where I can download patches without having to be a member?
for xbox live you don't need to pay for any patches. The only things you have to pay for on xbox live are some extra maps and units, etc... Some are free some aren't, depends on the game.
Quote:
Some of these slots can be used for pack animals if you want to collect all the loot rather than just the best. The 'Legends of Aranna' expansion is almost as long and was also fun. I've played both of these in easy, normal, and hard modes and had fun each time; though I'd suggest you play it in one of the easier modes before trying hard, as the potions and loot are mush harder to find; though your character can develop to higher levels.

Did you actually drag that mule along the entire game?

I didn't... not only because it managed to get killed the entire time, but mostly because exploring dungeons filled with creatures of evil in the company of a donkey seemed kinda ridiculous.

The Fellowship of the Ring dumped Bill the Pony prior to entering Khazad-Dűm for a reason.
Quote:
Did you actually drag that mule along the entire game?
Yes, sometimes two of them; however, rather than getting them killed all the time I parked them outside a dungeon and completely cleared an area of it and them moved to the cleared area. If I left them too far behind the program would crash, so whenever it did an auto save, I went back for the pack animals and brought them just close enough so when I selected the whole party they weren't selected (their avatars were greyed-out).

Of course this was like playing Dungeon Seige as Money Haul and I couldn't carry any more gold by the time I entered the cavern's below the King's dungeon. One of these days I'll try the game with fewer characters: maybe two warriors, a healing mage archer, and a combat mage archer.

I always bought and saved any ice weapons that could freeze enemies, stun weapons were almost as good. Although longbows are usually better than crossbows, in this game the crossbows are often faster and have greater range, especially near the end of the game. Though I seldom bought any potions, I usually had to sell many even when playing in hard mode.
What's the rating on Dungeon Siege, and what for? That's one of the most important things my mom looks at before she lets me get a video game.
Is it a Dungeons & Dragons video game?
The game is "+3" rated, hence suited for everybody over 3 years old.

Kind of surprising, considering that some dungeons can be quite scary.

I don't think it is a D&D game.
  [1] [2] >>