Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Jackson Removed From Hobbit?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Jackson Removed From Hobbit?   [1] [2] >>
If I misplaced this thread and it should be in a different section, sorry.

The latest news item on PT's home link concerning Peter Jackson being revoked the right to direct "The Hobbit", well umm, concerns me! http://www.planet-tolkien.com/news/article_276.

In my opinion Tolkien's LOTR and Jackson's LOTR are the same basic story, with similar background plots, but in an essence it's like comparing a Ford truck vs Chevy... Very similar but yet so different.

Don't get me wrong, no one else could have done it better or even near as good, for that matter, because the books are quite extensive in detail and length, in order to make the movie exactly like the book, the movies would have to be like 6 hours each and that's just too long for your average audience to sit through. The LOTR were a smash at the box offices thanks to Jackson and i bet if they throw a new director in the chair for "The Hobbit" It will not meet expectations...

Since Jackson has basically modified the LOTR story wouldn't you think it'd be for the best if he continued with this prequel and stuck to his same modifications? Or could you magically turn The Hobbit, word for word, into a movie without modifying the story like Jackson has to for LOTR? It's definitely not as complicated but since Jackson has already basically mastered filming Middle Earth I'd think it's best you hand the torch back to the master.

Basically i think this whole conundrum comes down to one word.... GREED, on both sides of the party that is. Is 200 million not enough Mr. Jackson? Can't you spare the extra few million New Line Cinema?

I hope they can sort this out and they let Jackson get back to what he does best so we can see a solid prequel for the solid trilogy, but only time will tell i guess.

I think New Line will place "The Hobbit" into the refrigerator, until they find a less greedy director.
Not too up on the news but I had heard that Peter Jackson still hasn't been paid for LOTR...is this the case?

In a book by Sean Austin, he was told the amount he was to be paid for the film and he thought well that times 3 films Ok, then was told that the amount was for all three, inclusive.

But I suppose all that happens after is a reward.....publicity, royalties,......!

As for watching 6 hours for each film....bring it on, I'm game for it....lol Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Quote:
Maydmarion
Not too up on the news but I had heard that Peter Jackson still hasn't been paid for LOTR...is this the case?

I'd be very surprised if that were the case, Peter Jackson's could file a huge lawsuit against New Line Cinema that is the last thing they'd want, it would be ALL over the media, and us being LOTR fans would have heard about it.

Even part about the mix up with all 3 films combined total pay sounds a little far fetched to me. If he has a proper lawyer who actually went to law school, instead of clown school, the lawyer's job is suppose to go over the contract and let his client know exactly what's up. If there was any confusion on that part of the situation, it would or at least SHOULD have been disputed before he signed the dotted line, and read the fine print.
I'm not sure if u know , but there is a boycot of the New Line Cinema Products by the Tolkien fans worldwide ,so if u agree with the reasons of the petittion do sign in and lets all together try to make Hobbit work.......

u can sign the petittion here.......
It got my vote
A petition....hmmm...Sounds good.....
Quick question. What book are they using for the Prequel?
Nobody knows, unless Lucas has an unused Ewok script that can be modified to fit Tolkien's diminutive race of Middle-earth. Teacher Smilie
Quote:
Mwolt
Quick question. What book are they using for the Prequel?

What do you mean? I thought are planning to to make The Hobbit in a film.... It is a prelude to LOTR after all...

Oh ya i did my part and signed that petition, everyone here should take 1 minute out of their time and sign it all, that is if they agree with us.

CLICK HERE to sign the petition!
No, I read in an article on one of the TV networks that not only would Peter Jackson not be directing The Hobbit but also he would not be directing the prequel to THOTR. I am trying to find out if they will use one of the other books.
Mel
Quote:
Mwolt
not only would Peter Jackson not be directing The Hobbit but also he would not be directing the prequel to THOTR.

What is this 'prequel' everyone keeps talking about? I presume it's not The Hobbit. What is THOTR?
According to the articles that I've read New Line is planning two prequels to LotR, one being The Hobbit and the other being a mystery... some speculate that it would be a really broad, watered down, selective history taken from parts of The Sil and The History of Middle Earth - I wonder if they are planning to split The Hobbit into two films, having a brief introduction to the first movie (similar to the one in LotR) taken from the afore mentioned books.

In the contract PJ made with New Line, he was supposed to get 20% of the profits. He was paid $200m and has filed a suit against New Line because he believes that it is less than 20%. All PJ wants is an unbiased mediator or judge to say who's right or wrong and then he'll drop the matter, but New Line have come out with some "new" and slightly suspicious news that their rights to the movie will expire after 2008 so they don't have time to settle with PJ and have to start filming straight away. They made him an offer of more money from profits off The Hobbit if he would drop the lawsuit and commit to making the two prequels, but PJ refused because he said that it's the wrong kind of motive for making a movie, you need to put your heart into it and not have it balancing on lawsuits and settlements. - That's basically the gist of what I've read. You can read more for yourselves if you follow the links in the story in the news section of PT's home page.

I support PJ's decision, but I'm worried that if they don't sort out this whole mess, then the Hobbit movie could end up being a huge disappointment - depending on who they are planning to replace PJ with - but still they run the risk of having an entirely inconsistent view of Middle Earth compared to PJ's version.
I have added my signature to the petition as well.
Quote:
Tinúviel but still they run the risk of having an entirely inconsistent view of Middle Earth compared to PJ's version.

Ya see that's what i'm worried about. We all know that the movie based LOTR are quite different from the proper Tolkien based world. But at least if they continue to produce movies based of Tolkien's work, and even if it is only loosly based, they should still be consistant to what is already out there!
I don't really know what to think. I cannot imagine anyone else being such a devoted Tolkien fan and spending so much time and energy on the little details.
If Newline has cheated that really upsets me. There is no need to accept the painstakingly hard work of someone who has brought these great works to life and made Tolkien a household word and then mistreat him.
I wish we knew just who they have in mind to do the prequels. It could turn out to be great or the worst disaster. And who wants to wait and wait and wait and then go and see a mess.
How depressing.
Where is this petition one signs?
Oh, I just found and signed the petition.
Thankyou anyway.
Quote:
I wish we knew just who they have in mind to do the prequels. It could turn out to be great or the worst disaster. And who wants to wait and wait and wait and then go and see a mess.
How depressing.

Take it easy. Whether it will be good or bad or not made at all : it is just a movie. It's not like it's the end of the world.
perhaps not the end of the mortal world, but maybe the end of Middle EarthSmile Smilie And I don't know about you but it very much is entering a world and escaping for a while. So it matters to me.
haha.
well well .. i had no idea something this big was going on .. but after checking through some stuff i got the gist .. and i signed that petition. though a fat lot of good that will do. these big production houses are all alike .. they dont care when it comes down to the money .. theyll be as happy to collect money from the less discerning fans. were all hardcore fans of tolkien and im assuming of PJ coz he did the impossible when he converted those legendary books into those timeless classics of movies.

im as sure that no one else will be able to bring the same magic as PJ did coz whoever else gets the job will not have his heart in the right place !! lets hope against all reason and logic that newline comes to its senses and gives PJ his money and lets him direct the prequel.

btw .. i assumed that THOTR stood for The History of The Ring .. did it ? in any case .. i guess its appropriate that there be two prequels .. the hobbit is a stand alone abook and can be made as such into a movie also .. but then since everyone has seen LotR first .. im sure they wouldnt understand the links there. in any case .. im not qualified to make that judgement. i leave such weighty issues to the grand old man of PT .. Grondy .. hehehehe Smoke Smilie Wink Smilie
Quote:
perhaps not the end of the mortal world, but maybe the end of Middle Earth And I don't know about you but it very much is entering a world and escaping for a while.

Middle-earth will never cease to exist, as long as there's the books and people's imaginations.
That was beautifully put.
My concern however is with those, especially children, that don't read books and will never read The Lord of the Rings or any other book by Tolkien.
It will be a case then of them seeing what could be a ruinous distortion or very badly done prequels and then they go off and always have this in their minds and think that Tolkien was not that great after all.
What do you think?
I understand what you mean and i think the same.. And as many have already said, why not let Jackson make the prequels if he already started a fantastic job on transfering LOTR from pages to the screen?! Why diverse from that what we already have?
Quote:
Why diverse from that what we already have?
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind;
The answer sadly is the almighty dollar. Orc Sad Smilie
Quote:
LeeleeI don't really know what to think. I cannot imagine anyone else being such a devoted Tolkien fan and spending so much time and energy on the little details.

Oh i can name about a few dozen people from this site alone Big Smile Smilie

Quote:
Finrodthese big production houses are all alike .. they don't care when it comes down to the money .. they'll be as happy to collect money from the less discerning fans.

Unfortunately i'm going to have to completely disagree with that statement Finrod... You see if you said "They ONLY care about money", then i'd agree with you 100%! That's the whole problem with Peter Jackson directing them from the beginning, they are squabbling over money.

I do some what agree with that part about they don't necessary care where the money comes from, although i'm sure the cast and crew might find more satisfaction if they new they were appeasing the fans.

Quote:
GrondmasterThe answer my friend is blowing in the wind;
The answer sadly is the almighty dollar.

Alas in the end it completes this tragic circle, like i mentioned at the end of my very 1st post... GREED. Sad but true....
Turin,
first of all I love your name. I unfortunately cannot say it even twice in a row without being completely tongue-tied. How sad is that!

I wish , no I REALLY wish that any of you had the m oney to do the prequels. You are all so intelligent and so .so.....Middle Earth Intelligent.While I.........I am trying you know. I have been so caught up in just the beauty of the words and descriptions, of falling in love with the characters that, well I forget a lot of details and then have to go back and read the books again and again. sigh............any help for that? How did all of you manage to store away kazillions of facts so neatly into your lovely brains.
And this coming from someone who among other things researches for a living!!!( I am blushing furiously in shame)
Quote:
The answer sadly is the almighty dollar.

Considering Uncle Sam's trade deficit with China : make that the almighty yuan! :-P
Aw Leelee.. Im blushing.. And im sure a couple others are as well, if they saw themselves in your description of "us". But theres nothing special to it! If you really love something you'll try hard to know everything you can about it. You'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Orc Smiling Smilie
Quote:
How did all of you manage to store away kazillions of facts so neatly into your lovely brains.
Well, I think most of us raced through The Hobbit and LotR the first time just to see how the lovely stories would end. After the second and third times we read them, as well as the ninth, tenth, and umpteenth times, we kept discovering more things we had missed earlier.

When The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales were finally published, We read them the same way and had to go back and read the first books again and again to see how everything tied wonderfully together. The 12 books of the History of Middle-earth, as well as Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-earth and Robert Faster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth are pretty good reference books as is The Letters of JRR Tolkien edited by Humphrey Carpenter toward filling in a few holes in our knowledge as well as adding a few new quandaries that can be discussed ad infinitum. (Tom Bombadil and Balrog wings are a couple of these.)

Anyway, multiple readings plus the 'Share and enjoy' with the members of the Planet-Tolkien.com is how most of those facts were ascertained.

(Also I have listened to the BBC Radio tapes for a few tens of times and have the books handy beside my computer as I daily work(?) the forum.)
Quote:
LeeleeTurin,
first of all I love your name. I unfortunately cannot say it even twice in a row without being completely tongue-tied. How sad is that!

I believe it's pronounced such as Too 'rin Tur-am-bar. He's probably my favourite character in Middle-Earth, at least in my top 3.
Three of us in our family love Turin very much as you do.There is something so noble and vulnerable and yet beyond strong about h im.
We actually have the Middle Earth books but I myself have not cracked one open as yet.
I intend to try at least in the new year.
I think that is what makes 'listening' to all of you particularly satisfying to me. The flavour of Tolkien, like a beautiful stew that has been simmered all day and is rich beyond all expectations is how I feel the moment I log on here. It is simply beautiful.
I am actually taking notes on what you all say, the main words and thoughts and that is already helping me along.
hey Leelee if you are planning to read another Tolkien book do you have "Unfinished Tales"? There is a chapter about Húrin and his children, "Narn I Hîn Húrin". It is the longest lay of Middle-Earth, the lay of Beren and Luthien being the 2nd longest i believe.

It's a extended version of the chapter on Túrin's life taken from The Silmarillion. Well actually it's more like The Silmarillion is a shorten version from Unfinished Tales version.

Meanwhile back at the making of The Hobbit Movie.....
ya sorry grondy i was about to edit that message and say how i was getting off topic there, sorry.

...So ya... returning back to me slapping some sense in greedy people, whom will still probably let greed end up ruining a what could be such a great movie.
Okay, today Grep added two new sections under the LotR Movies one for the LOTR Prequel and one for The Hobbit (Movie).

Add to the existing posts there, or if you have a topic that doesn't fit them start a new thread there, but ensure you get them under the correct movie.

Thanks
are you going to move this topic under The Hobbit movie section?
Moderator Smilie I would if I could do it with just a couple clicks; however we still don't have that tool, so I'd have to do it manually by 'cut and paste' and there are too many posts in this thread to make that worthwhile. Maybe sometime in the future we will have a move thread function.
Quote:
Grondy....

I would if I could do it with just a couple clicks; however we still don't have that tool, so I'd have to do it manually by 'cut and paste' and there are too many posts in this thread to make that worthwhile. Maybe sometime in the future we will have a move thread function.

U could try to inplement this site with a Invision board forum it's great....
Is it really that bad if another director does the Hobbit? The Lord of the Rings movies were great, they inspired a lot of people to come on here and talk, to compare them to the books and in some cases even read the books! They had an amazing feel about them regardless of how you feel they did or didn't represent Tolkiens views and stories. But that doesn't mean that PJ is the best director to do the Hobbit. The Hobbit is an incredibly different book from LoTR, in many ways. When I read the Hobbit as a child, it seemed so magical - being tricked into a quest, an adventure that while it marked you, you could go home and find things more or less the same. It seemed almost whimsical with the humour keeping very close to the surface. Only at the end when you turn back the first page do you see how far they went. The LoTR is a lot darker in many ways, characters forced into unwanted paths, betrayal on many different levels and a lot more complex relationships between both the characters paths and the world itself. The nazgul did actually give me nightmares when I first read about them! If the movie is done by PJ, will it reflect the difference between the stories? Or will the expectation for it to be similar in gravity and feeling to the LoTR movies make it less then it could be. A new director may have the ability to approach it without the need to keep the same style. This does no harm to the books, perhaps the movies could be viewed in a similar light?
Well, yeah, to me that is a such bad thing (Jackson not directing the Hobbit i mean). But hey.. thats just me, and everyone knows im stuborn. Orc Smiling Smilie
I just cannot imagine, at this point, another director.
It has just been one wierd thing after another since he went and became skinny!
Against all my expectations, the movie LotR came out very well though not perfectly. Perhaps there is an intrinsic "toughness" to Tolkien writing that rewards earnest (and well financed) efforts at portrayal. Does anyone have an idea who could direct if PJ isn't available?
Perhaps you or Grondy or Loss or Vir?
Ron Howard definitely has the qualifications and he is familiar with New Zealand as the perfect location for shooting fantasy films (Willow). But I am sure he has plenty of projects on the go...
My, my, our wee little Opie has come such a long way. The sheriff must be sooooooo proud! Smile Smilie
Quote:
Does anyone have an idea who could direct if PJ isn't available?

Steven Spielberg Smile Smilie
Yes perhaps only he could do it justice apart from PJ.
I completely forgotten about Ronnie. He is excellent, he has achieved some amazing work.
And Steven Spielberg, well he certainly can bring forth the magic. Well who knows. One day it will just be done by whomever and we will watch it with joy or grimace and wish noone had touched it. (biting my fingernails as I write, no that is impossible,before and after.(
Ron or Steven; good choices. Of the two I favor Spielberg. Leelee, you put me in august company. Smile Smilie
Well I think you already are in August company for you are just that, am I right?
Anyone with such a noble avy and intelligent words can only be that.
I don't know the answer to this but is Peter Jackson actually from New Zealand, and if so is he still there or in jaded Hollywood or something.
Honestly, the terrain in New Zealand, the great differenced in just a few miles is astounding and so absolutely perfect for filming ME things. I am in awe of the place. It just seems to be the natural place to film, so versatile.
But getting back To Ronnie And Stephen, I wonder if either are Tolkien fans themselves or would have to first read the books before even having any idea of the treatment they would apply to the making of any Tolkien's work.I still find it amazing that Viggo had never read LOTR. Yet somehow he did well. Perhaps his acting method of dressing for the part and living out in the woods before the shooting began helped. I don't know, is that called method acting or something?
I'll say it again : David Lynch would be able to produce a film faithful to the spirit of the books, regardless of the budget.

After all, he did it with Dune even though he had to cut nearly everything he had planned for it.
  [1] [2] >>