Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Jackson Removed From Hobbit?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Jackson Removed From Hobbit?   << [1] [2]
Vir, I'll have to go back and watch Dune again; saw it several years ago. He would have the right mindset of recreating a literary world since he did Dune. Leelee, the New Zealand landscape is just perfect for ME. Can't imagine another location that offers so much so close together. One point in favor of the Hobbit and prequel is that New Line has seen the profitability of high end ME movies. They have the resources to do a good job and support the director.
I confess I have neither watched Dune, nor have any clue as to what it is about. (blush blush)
As for New Zealand, as silly as this sounds, I think it has something magical about it that lends itself perfectly, and I mean perfectly to the particular world that JRR created. It seems as if the two were made with each other in mind.
Quote:
I confess I have neither watched Dune, nor have any clue as to what it is about. (blush blush)

Imo, whilst The lord of the rings by J.R.R. Tolkien is the quintessential work of fantasy fiction, the Dune saga by Frank Herbert is the quintessential work of science fiction. It's incredibly deep, as it deals with politics, religion, eugenics, sociology, morality, ecology,... but above all it's just a wonderfully crafted masterpiece of human imagination.
I agree, to me the universe of the Dune saga is much more involved than either of those of the Star Wars series, Star Trek series; or even the Foundation saga.
Quote:
The Hobbit is an incredibly different book from LoTR, in many ways.

The Hobbit is directed to a completely different crowd and the tone of the story is uncomparable to LOTR. However it is still based in ME and involves a few of the same characters. I believe that if The Hobbit it should be almost an exact replica of the book (unlike LOTR it can be done because it is much shorter and less complicated.) Although if The Hobbit is created into a movie it will be based on the same characteristics as LOTR and not sugar coated for children, as The Hobbit was originally written for. You can definitly expect the same amount of violence and gore as LOTR.

Obviously they should keep the setting of the movie in New Zealand, to change it would be uncalled for. Although British Columbia, Canada would be my 2nd choice if there was any other option for ME. Mountains, huge forests, the Pacific Ocean, lakes, plains, ect... everything they need at their disposal.

As for Dune I've never read the books nor watched the movies, however, I have heard of it. I recall them even making a computer game based on it, and the funny thing is I think i played it but it's been so long ago now I can't be positive.
Hey Turin, hope you are doing well.
I live in British Columbia and it is true that on the coast you can have all that. But somehow, in my opinion, it does not have that same magical look or feel to it. It just seems so either wilder in the mountainous areas or too civilized and almost Hollywood any of the other places.
Well then, I will watch Dune. I won't get freaked out will I and have to hide u nder the bed for the first week when the sun goes down? (shivers)
Ya i'm doing pretty good actually leelee. I always thought you were from Russia or some Eastern Europe Country.

Quote:
Leelee
...I live in British Columbia...

I live in BC Too!!! Powell River to be exact. I saw you meantion something about Squamish and i presumes it was also the name of another city else where.
I live about 130 miles south of Squamish BC and about 13 miles south of Suquamish WA, and a tad bit to the west of both.
You're all very fortunate, the Pacific northwest is so Beautiful! Its the one area that I have lived that I would be happy to go back to (I lived in Portland, OR)...
Meanwhile, back to the Hobbit Movie, where Peter Jackson doesn't seem to be in line for the job of Director.....
If I were in the position of Peter Jackson, I would take the loss, as long as my bills were paid and I had seen to my people, and I would have a battery of lawyers set up some sort of pre-production and post production contract, air-tight, non negotiable that saw to my receiving every penny I was truly supposed to receive next time around. I would do that because of the deep love of JRR and the desire to do this most sublime of stories.

I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED SHOCKED!

Turin, I thought you were either Italian or German and living in Europe.
Grondy dear I was positive you lived in England, somewhere near Hye-on-way or right near Oxford , something like that. I honestly thought that.
Funny you should say that about Russian Turin, because some people, when they see my real face on an avy or whatever think I must be a Russian Jewess because I am very fair and have long blonde hair. Really who knows from the far past.
To think that the three of us live in the same province is .......it seems like a strange dream.
I have been to Powell river many times in my past.
I actually live in the North Okanagan and our condo rests against a large ridge covered in huge pine trees.
I think I need to go and lay down.
Quote:
Meanwhile, back to the Hobbit Movie, where Peter Jackson doesn't seem to be in line for the job of Director.....

Yes, David Lynch...

And did I mention that Sting (yes, the Sting) was among the Dune cast? I've always thought he would make an excellent King Bard.
Sting, yes I heard he did his naked thing. seems so wrong when once you were a teacher of tender minds.Did you like the first Dune?
What about any genius talents in the directing business in say Berlin or Canada? Anyone come to mind?
Quote:
Grondy dear I was positive you lived in England, somewhere near Hye-on-way or right near Oxford , something like that. I honestly thought that.
No Leelee, I have always lived in the State of Washington, the first third east of the Cascades. I learned(?) my English culture from Agatha Cristi, Dorthy Sayers, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Your clue should have been my spelling of color and honor. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Sting was never completly naked in David Lynch's Dune.

I don't know any Canadian or German film directors, but there are undoubtedly some good ones.
David Lynch would be a good candidate as also might be Ridley Scott, he of Blade Runner.
Quote:
I learned(?) my English culture from Agatha Cristi, Dorthy Sayers, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Not even J.R.R. Tolkien?

Quote:
I don't know any Canadian or German film directors, but there are undoubtedly some good ones.

As for the Teutons: Wolfgang Petersen, perchance?
Yeah, Wolgang Petersen could be a good choice.

As for David Lynch, I enjoyed the Dune movie, but was put off because it looked a bit 'low-budget' but I guess that's because it was low-budget and there was nothing much they could do about it. So in the end he did a good job. I must read the book, since you speak so highly of it Vir.

I'm sure Ron Howard must have read LotR - it's the forerunner for all things fantasy! He did a pretty good job with Willow (I think) except for casting Val Kilmer.

If they had to film LotR in another country, South Africa would be a good substitute because the landscape is quite similar (though I do think New Zealand is better)... not to mention the fact that they'd need to employ a platoon of armed guards for safety - but then people here will work for next to nothing (hey I'm one of them).
Quote:
Not even J.R.R. Tolkien?
No, from him I only learned about the culture of Middle-earth. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
And how to sound so........Hobbity and dear. I can't get used to the feeling of you being a dwarf , for some reason I think you should be a Thain of Buckland or something like that.
Quote:
If they had to film LotR in another country, South Africa would be a good substitute because the landscape is quite similar (though I do think New Zealand is better)... not to mention the fact that they'd need to employ a platoon of armed guards for safety - but then people here will work for next to nothing (hey I'm one of them).

I've always wanted to travel to South Africa because of Wilbur Smith! I love his books and the way he describes the environment there it sounds very beautiful. I really want to check out Cape Town and Table Top Mountain.

But I'd be surprised it would make a good M-E, no offense. I don't know if there are any snow capped mountains in South Africa, but even if there were i doubt they can live up to the majestic mountains in British Columbia, Canada. We also have some of the greatest forests in the world, next to Russia, and as for rolling hills and meadows, well, Canada has more than enough of that too.
Quote:
I've always wanted to travel to South Africa because of Wilbur Smith! I love his books and the way he describes the environment there it sounds very beautiful. I really want to check out Cape Town and Table Top Mountain.

Is Wilbur Smith the one fondly referred to as "the Fresh Prince of Cape Town"?
Yes, British Columbia has it all plus a great film board and experianced film technicians.
In Norway (and maybe other countries as well)the rumour says that there will be a film about Tolkiens' book :THE HOBBIT. though the script is not finished yet.The news(from our largest newspaper)also says that it is Sam Raimi who made Spiderman that got the job..I really hope not...
What, you don't want to see Bilbo wearing a red and black suit? Gee, there are spiders in The Hobbit too; he should be a good fit. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I haven't bothered to check out Mellon's news; has anyone else heard it?
Quote:
Virumor
Is Wilbur Smith the one fondly referred to as "the Fresh Prince of Cape Town"?

LOL. I've never heard him refered as that but I wouldn't doubt it.
Quote:
What, you don't want to see Bilbo wearing a red and black suit? Gee, there are spiders in The Hobbit too; he should be a good fit.

Red and black?! Make that red and blue. Spidey's nemesis, Venom, wears a wholly black suit.

Anyway, back to the point, the Hobbit contains Green Goblins also, does it not? So I believe the director's choice might be quite appropriate.
  << [1] [2]