Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Who would you trust?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Who would you trust?   
I have pondered on who of all our heroes from Gandalf to one of the Hobbits that I would trust the most to get me through the gathering darkness and the great battle of that third age.
If the enemy were bearing down and you had to go with and trust with your very life just one of the characters of Middle Earth to keep you safe and alive until the overthrow of Sauron, who would it be?
I know that Aragorn and Gandalf are no brainers but I guess for me I would go with Samwise.
I would not feel too shy with him, we would have a lot of things to talk about of an evening-gardening, the beauty of Middle Earth, lore of elves, runes and well many things.
And I would know that Sam would never leave or forsake me and he would find the courage to get through a situation no matter how hard or hopeless. So I would pick Sam

How about you?
I think Gandalf and/or Aragorn would be the most skilled to hold off pretty much everyone, unless Sauron himself would come.. so I'd go for these.

I was initially inclined to go for Éowyn, but I take it she would drag me into a fight with a pack of wargs, a horde of Uruk-hai, a murder of crebain or even nastier stuff... and since my doctor has refused me too much excitement I unfortunately have to pass on that... bummer!
Well Virumor, you could choose Ioreth to care for you, but only if you are also hard of hearing, for I wouldn't like to subject a friend to her endless monologue. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I think the safest place might be in Tom Bombadil's house, as long as he was home. For few knew he was there and few would enter to Old Wood of their own volition. Of course this would name me a Third Age pacifist instead of an activist. Happy Elf Smilie
I would say Gandalf! He has the most knowledge of what is actually going on, and proves he'd sacrifice his life, as he did in FOTR. So if i had to rely on someone to get me through it all i'd pick him.

I think I'd go for Radagast. He seemed to have a penchant for avoiding the danger, yet should have a pretty formidable armoury up his sleeve should danger find him.
I'd stick to Treebeard. He is like Radagast, keeps out of trouble most of the time, but when danger comes to his precious forest he is quite formidable. I wouldn't pick Radagast though. He might see some peacock fly by and chase after it and forget all about me. But if Treebeard gets distracted, say, by an Entwife, his pace would at least be a bit more easier to catch up with.

Oh and he also provides great camouflage too. You could nestle in his branches and cover yourself up with leaves and no one would know you.
Quote:
Well Virumor, you could choose Ioreth to care for you, but only if you are also hard of hearing, for I wouldn't like to subject a friend to her endless monologue.

Yes, at least Éowyn rattles on in/about cages..
i would choose the dwarves of erebor (dain) cause at least there i'll know that there would be know chance of taking us at unawares.!
I suppose Gandalf would be my option. It took him great stregnth just to say he would leave Frodo in Barad-Dur rather than accept the treaty of Sauron. If that was me I would have left Frodo without hesitation but Gandalf did not so i suppose he would only abandon you in dia need.
I of course think Gandalf would be perfect, that is a no brainer. But I would like the thrill of trying to go with someone that either was not before known to have any notable skills in dealing with the enemy( I always believe in the underdog I suppose) or someone fascinating that I would really love to take the time to know.
Another name that comes to my mind is Gilgalad, I would have loved to get to know him and fight along side with him his and my sworn enemy Sauron the ,,,,the...well I really don't have a suitable word. Sad Smilie
Quote:
Another name that comes to my mind is Gilgalad, I would have loved to get to know him and fight along side with him his and my sworn enemy Sauron the ,,,,the...well I really don't have a suitable word. Sad Smilie

The wish to fight along side Gil-galad in his last battle with the despicable Sauron would be foolhardy unless one had already built-up a name for one's self in the eyes of the bards, for that could probably be your last battle. I'm cowardly enough to just want to get to know Gil-galad and leave the fighting to others better suited for the job.
Quote:
The wish to fight along side Gil-galad in his last battle with the despicable Sauron would be foolhardy unless one had already built-up a name for one's self in the eyes of the bards, for that could probably be your last battle.

Ah, but Gil-galad knew Sauron's vulnerable spot, did he not?

After all, his former master Aulë had dipped him into the waters of the lake of Lorellin, making him invulnerable safe for the only place of his body where Aulë had held him.

Hence, the poisoned tip of Aeglos proved to be another ending for Mr Sauron.

Unfortunately, due to the law of conservation of evil, he'd pop up again and again and again... even though he had become nothing more but a shadow of his former self, his former power almost reduced to naught, he would still haunt the castles, basements and attics of old, doing the whole white sheets and clanking around with shackles shtick.

Very scary.
Well Grondy dear,
Since even Gandalf hinted to Frodo Baggins that there were greater powers than him and that went all the way to Illuvatar Himself, and he also hinted that some things that happen are not by our own strengths but are in fact things appointed and so unseen hands and minds assist and that which ultimately Illuvatar wants done, while still allowing elves, men , dwarves et freedom of thought and choice;then Frodo was appointed to do what he did and who in fact knew much about this little Hobbit? No bards that I am aware of.
And if, Gilgalad, having heard my plea to walk along side him, said yes after careful thought, would that not mean that although he was amazed at my asking, or privately thought it ridiculous, he also knew that this in fact was my doom?
So I should want to learn what he was to show me and at least follow that which my heart cried out for and whatever happened , happened. I should rather have my eyes close in death having followed my heart than stay safe and die anyway by some wandering orc who just happened to be where I was and I think of King David and how , if he would have been at war as he was supposed to be instead of whimping and pining away in his palace, a whole string of evil things would not have had opportunity to take place.
So.....and as for having my deeds sung of, I really think that is of little importance, at least, much less than the doing of it anyway.
Quote:
So I should want to learn what he was to show me and at least follow that which my heart cried out for and whatever happened , happened. I should rather have my eyes close in death having followed my heart than stay safe and die anyway by some wandering orc who just happened to be where I was and I think of King David and how , if he would have been at war as he was supposed to be instead of whimping and pining away in his palace, a whole string of evil things would not have had opportunity to take place.

Bellatrix, audetque viris concurrere virgo.

- Virgil, the Aeneid, book I, line 493.
I would like be one of Faramir's rangers. Perhaps killed in one of his many battles but I would be able to strike a blow for the Good. Would have seen and fought in the defense of Gondor (loved the siege in Rotk movie). Also would have the opportunity to meet and get to know Eowyn Animated Wink Smilie However, if I were in a not so brave mode, I would go live with Cirdan, a wielder of one of the elven rings and a shipwright. I enjoy hand tool woodworking and would love to learn elvish boat building. You couldn't go wrong with any of the Powers of ME. Just depends on how much one likes being in harm's way.

Vir, you actually want me to go dig out my copy of Virgil?
Halbard, the Rangers are so mysterious and noble and stalwart, asking nothing in return. I loved them to pieces. You would make a perfect one I am sure.
Vir, is there anything you don't know? You seem in your twenties to me and then you seem to be without number of years, ancient and so very very wise and full of knowledge. I feel very small and quite stupid in your presence. But happily for me that only makes me want to learn more, so don't think I am stalking you when I follow you and Grondy about on the forums. I am only trying to benefit from all that you have both gleaned in your lives. Amazing, overwhelming really. Smile Smilie
And, no Halbard, you need not drag out your dusty copy of Virgil, just go to Electronic Antiquity on Google and type in the line Vir gave and there it will be.
I think i would not trust any one person singularly, all people (be they man, elf, dwarf, hobbit or any other peoples) have a selfish side to them.

too true you can be happily trumping along to defeat the powers of evil, with a thousand elves of mirkwood at your side, but if a messenger catches up to your party and proclaims

"oh dear, im awfully sorry guys, seems the last boat is leaving for valanor in about 1 aure"

well dearey me, all of a sudden your facing sauron with naught but a sword, shield and a large pile of defication weighing down your trousers.

in which case i would trust a "fellowship" of sorts, on person from each of the major races who are fighting for the powers of good.
Oh that is so funny. And I suppose true to a point, but were not Elves for the most part pretty good at following through on things, look at Elrond's sons and the years they rode along side the Dunedain and avenged their mother. And the Dunedain themselves, it seems to me that , to the death they kept guard over the borders of the Shire with never a thankyou.
the elves were pretty good i agree, but then there wasnt any 50% off sparkly robe sales during the 3rd age (not that i know of anyway) so their true alligences cant really be assertained. Big Smile Smilie
sparkly robes, sigh....you are hilarious. Alright I will give you that.
Still I would throw my lot in with the Elves. I think for me that would be a very wise decision.
haha yeah pith nín lalaith pant, being serious for a second, i too would ally with the illustrious elves Big Smile Smilie
The thing is , now I honestly don't know when you are joshing me or being serious. Tis a puzzle and one I am going to solve. so there! Smile Smilie
well, that may have to be a mystery, like a coiled length of hithlain, i can hold fast, but tug me and i unravel, oh hang on a sec, that sounds a bit pervy

scratch that last comment

haha
Big Smile Smilie
What a guy Smile Smilie. Do you know until I read in one of the other threads that your avy is an eye, I never saw that. I kept looking into the middle of it and thinking there was some sort of tiny warrior and then the veins I thought were a thicket. Hmmmmm, I think that is enough reading Peter Rabbit among the thorn bushes for baby Hasia.
Don't you worry though I shall study you like I am in final exams to take the bar. In no time I will know you like a book, no matter how you try to foil me!
I think that is my elven nature. Elves, what would ME do without them? I know people think dear Legolas did not accomplish much, but that is sheer drivel.
Quote:
I know people think dear Legolas did not accomplish much, but that is sheer drivel.

Yeah, he sang a few songs and killed some minions of evil, did he not?

It looked like he was just having fun throughout the whole quest thing.
Quote:
It looked like he was just having fun throughout the whole quest thing.
Sure he was: He was out from under his father's thumb; exploring Middle-earth instead of languishing in Mirkwood. He was young and wanted adventure and to make a name for himself, neither of which he could obtain stuck amidst all those trees, squirrels, moths, and bulbous-eyed spiders.
Quote:
So.....and as for having my deeds sung of, I really think that is of little importance, at least, much less than the doing of it anyway.

I find that a great thought to have. There is a proverb or saying that says something like that. "The crowning is not the achieving, but the doing..." I have that wrong, but I can't think of it.
Yes I have lived my whole life like that. But I must tell you that it doesn't seem to be a very popular thought and most people think I am er.....strange. But I would rather live my life trying to do all the noble things my heart cries out to do and fall trying without anyone knowing, rather than get a 'name' for myself. When I work out on the street and give what I can to those in distress, they for the most part are so much in pain they don't think about my sacrifice, and my friends are always whining about my safety. However none want to go with me! And I like to think that the Dunedain, who laboured day an night and risked and gave their lives without a single person in the Shire knowing or caring until the four little Hobbits found out, I like to think that the very Middle Earth and all the trees and birds and such rejoiced in their good works and wept when they fell.

Vir, your description of Legolas is funny.
Grondy I thought Legolas was really very old , well in years at least.Can you help me here?
Legolas's age is unknown.

He might as well have been born in the Second Age and fought in the Dagor Dagorlad, or been born somewhere in the Third Age, long or less long before the War of the Ring.

Hence, believe what you want to believe.
Legolas lack of knowledge of worldly affairs lead me to believe he hadn't been out of Mirkwood or the Northern climes much. Once in a while he would spout a poem, but even there I don't think it was about historical events; thus if he was indeed old he never showed it to me, nor did I see much wisdom other that about the burial of Boromer. He could see and hear far, but he couldn't track like Aragorn.
Perhaps he is very old in years but spent most of his time downstairs in the basement of the castle testing the wine and other spirits with the guards for a couple of ages, but only SEEMS young because once he sobered up and got out of there he found he knew very little about life outside of the creepy forest. what say you?
So what you say, is that Legolas was a raging alcoholic who couldn't find his way out of his basement for being so drunk and when he finally found his way out, he found a small, fat woman that he fell in love with, but... only to find that when he sobered up, it was Gimli and he did suffer a mighty hangover after..........

Slight hint of exaggeration Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

To be honest, I like to think that he spent many days just wandering around his Father's Land, and just wandering really, listening to the trees and maybe practising his bow skill or even plaiting his hair with his other friends Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Plaiting his hair with his other friends? hahaha. love it.
Well then, in view of this new insight into dear sweet Legolas, I would think he was a mere teenager in the elf world, say five to seven hundred years old?
And, no, no no , he had not the slightest crush on the Gimster. nope.
I fancy he was one of those bachelor elves that was there to help at anytime and go anywhere and as such did not desire to burden a wife in the process. and then again there would be all those jealousy issues if his plaits were prettier than hers......... Smile Smilie
When you live all those long ages, there's no need to commit early now is there? Wink Smilie
Well you could. If you don't like her you get yourself killed and when you come back from mandos you take another wife! Wink Smilie
Quote:
If you don't like her you get yourself killed and when you come back from mandos you take another wife!

With such a foul promiscuous demeanor, Lord Mandos would certainly not allow one to leave his Halls.

Quote:
When you live all those long ages, there's no need to commit early now is there?

On the contrary, I believe JRRT wrote that Elves usually chose their future parents already as children.
Maybe but its worth trying. IF it works the elves would be the luckiest people in the world!!! Ha Ha Ha Smilie

Else you could always try singing a song to please him.... Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Oh Thorin, that is great.
Would anyone here trust say Boromir to get them where they have to go? In the book he is very noble and wonderful and even after he fell momentarily for the Ring he repented and was worried over his people and his loved ones. He was unbelievable at fighting orcs.
Well.........any thoughts?
I would. He is not my favourite member of the Fellowship for nothing!

I like anti-heroes who redeem themselves, even in death. In fact, if I had the choice to become a member fo the Fellowship, I'd take his place.
Wow. That tells me a lot about you. I too love the underdog coming back and even in waning moments of life redeeming himself. I love redemption. Another member of my family and I cried like children when we watched the scene between Aragorn and Boromir just before his death. And when I read the account in the book later I cried even harder. What a dear and moving and noble man.
Quote:
Would anyone here trust say Boromir to get them where they have to go?

Yeah as long as i didn't have any ring with me... Very Big Grin Smilie
good point, haha. great avy.
I still would I think, I would just have to know in my heart that I could run faster than he could though!

I suppose if it came to that I would take a chance and go with Gollum If I had no other choice (I certainly dont know my way around and am singularly lacking in strength-girl thing really) since he had been tortured and hated those pits pits pits and Sauron. But I would have to take two others and we would need to be good at fighting, I mean really fighting, wouldn't we precious? And would have to always expect the very worst, then each day that we didn't get the very worst would be a good day. But really one would be so very tired don't you think?
Quote:
I suppose if it came to that I would take a chance and go with Gollum If I had no other choice

And at night when you'll be sleeping gollum will have a debate with himself which will end by "eats it precious, eats it". I would not like to be in your shoes then.... Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
That is why I said only with a couple of companions that could deliver a good whack if need be. It would be so exhausting, think of it. Even in your dreams, just the fear of your undertaking and then to have to know in your subconscious that Gollum,.who in the book smells just horrid and is slimey (argh) thinks of you as a side dish, well one can begin to imagine what Frodo and Sam had to contend with. Pure mental torture from beginning to end.
I think it would have been a great journey to have gone along with Eowyn, who is my favorite female in all the tales. A daughter of the kings of Rohan, a shield maiden, with a grudge against those who took her parents. Noble, valiant, pushing aside fear and anguish for the task before her. What an honor that would be.