Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Poll: Which race would you be?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Poll: Which race would you be?   
In our Forum Poll of 17 February 2007:
If you woke up in Middle-earth, of which race would you want to be?
found over there to the right, which race did you choose and why?

Had to be Maiar for me... Didn't even have to think about it.

So many benefits and powers, enabling you to live pretty much the life of your choice. Might find it harder deciding just which area I would dedicate myself to though... the sea, forests, mountains??? That would be a harder choice.
I choose elf.. I ALMOST choose Maiar, but i didnt want to seem over zelaous.. Still..being a elf is awesome..
Quote:
Had to be Maiar for me... Didn't even have to think about it.

My thoughts exactly Val Smile Smilie Think of all the great things you could do with such powers
The same here, Maiar is my first choice, but elf was a close second, very close second, to live through all the ages of the world and beyond would be unbelievable..................drifts off into daydreams.......................
Man, obviously. Mainly because this is the only race, possibly together with the Dwarves, who is certain to take part in the Second Music of the Ainur. The rest would all disappear at the end of the First Music.

As for Maiar, I do not understand why Eagles and Spiders are mentioned as a different race? They're both Maiar too.
Quote:
As for Maiar, I do not understand why Eagles and Spiders are mentioned as a different race? They're both Maiar too.
Me thinks that statement needs modifying; most Eagles and Spiders are not considered Maiar. Only the Great Eagles and even fewer of the Great Spiders. Shelob shouldn't be considered as a Maiar to my feeble way of thinking? But of course I could be wrong.
I would like to be an Elf, wise and beautiful they are, and immortal too...
And for power, powerful they are... archers, healers and so on... isn't it Elrond who saves Frodo from the deadly wound? And the river, a mean the horses... Arwen's magic... and their blades, bows, armors,strong and powerful but beautiful too, I like them...

Tough one... would like to be Maiar of course, could aspire in some ways to Elf, in keeping with Tolkien not worthy to be Hobbit, not tough enough for a dwarf, who the hell wants to be an orc, too fast and impulsive to be Ent, but .... man, is what I am, if of the latter and lesser days type, Bjorning if it comes to it, but if I could let my imagination run wild... would like to be related to Bombadil.

Elanor
Quote:
Shelob shouldn't be considered as a Maiar to my feeble way of thinking? But of course I could be wrong.

Tis quite simple really : Shelob is the last offspring of Ungoliant. Ungoliant was Maia, was she not?

Now, since the Spiders of Mirkwood are Shelob's spawn and Shelob is Maia, her offspring are Maiar too, though lesser than their mother.

Quote:
Me thinks that statement needs modifying; most Eagles and Spiders are not considered Maiar.

They don't have a capital letter for nothing. They're lesser Maiar but still Maiar, all descending from Ungoliant's spawn which once roamed Nan Dugortheb.

Eagles and Spiders without capital letter are just animals. That's why a capital letter is used to denote these that are more.
Okay, the capital letter means they are sentient and their progenitors make them Maiar. That means Luthien was Maiar instead of a lowly elf too I suppose. Okay, I know she was Half-Maiar; I'm just being obstinate. Virumor made his point to which I'll concede. So I should have listed Istari instead of Maiar and then everything might have been better, or not. Happy Elf Smilie
I'd choose to be a Hobbit as I'm most like them really, expanding waist and all. But I'd like to be a Hobbit that lives in Rohan with all the lovely horses if that's possible :-)
I chose to be an Ent because except for the occasional Orc to squash, there weren't many worries for them other than caring for the trees and longing for the good old days. Happy Elf Smilie
I chose to be a man because, well, I am a man so it only makes sence
I chose to be an Eagle. Yeah, yeah, I know Vir's going to come after me saying that I should've just chose Maiar, but hey, it doesn't hurt to be specific, does it?

Anyways, I've always wanted to fly. And I don't trust hang-gliders, or jets, or airplanes, for the growing number of terrorists. Aye, these are dark days we live in, and Eagles were ever creatures of the Light, servants of Manwe and all that... And of course, I would trust my own wings to bear me safely through the air. Although I don't think I've aspried to fly as high as an Eagle. I've always imagined myself as a robin, or a nightingale. But still, Eagle it is, since we're talking Tolkien here.
I had to choose a Maiar, don't really know why.
I choose man! Because I gotta stick by my brothers, besides I wouldn't know how to be anything else.
I chose Man because I love being who I am; Elves live in two realities at once and such exaltation would seem wearing and anything else would be too alien. I also don't want to miss the Second Music Jumping Flame Smilie
for some reason it let me vote twice, the first time i voted for man and the second time i voted for.... drum role please...... man!
Cheater! Turin!
Moderator Smilie *calls for Vee to roast the cheater* Moderator Smilie
Quote:

the first time i voted for man and the second time i voted for.... drum role please...... man!

Am I mistaken, or are you telling us that you feel you are just half-a-man Big Laugh Smilie , and that's why you had to vote twice?Police Smilie Deal Smilie
I chose Man — being immortal would get boring after a while. I'd prefer the spontaneity, impulsivity, and haste that would be better suited for a mortal and ephemeral life.
Quote:
are you telling us that you feel you are just half-a-man , and that's why you had to vote twice?

Well, along with the love of impulse and your next breath could be your last etc, then the scared-half-to-death twice would suffice with choosing man.......