Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Sightings of unknown creatures

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Sightings of unknown creatures   
I am wondering what people think of creatures like the Loch Ness "monster", and others. Basically any creatures that most people consider to be stories, hoaxs, or are thought of as being extinct. So give your opinions, facts, reasons behind why you think that it does/doesn't, or did/didn't exist, it being whatever creature the conversation has drifted to. If anyone knows of a creature that hasn't been brought up, or discussed, please bring it up at an appropiate time. The point of this thread is multi-fold, to debate about the existence of these creatures, learn about other's opinions concerning them, and share any knowledge you may possess pertaing to such creatures.
Since it is probably the most well-known, I'll just start with Nessie, the Loch Ness creature. Who thinks that it is real?
I happen to believe that anything is possible and that the world's mysteries may not have been completely discovered yet. A scientist's most valuable tools are an open mind and an idea, though both of those qualities seem to be in short supply in some of those in the scientific community. However, for those who are willing to open themselves up to the wondrous possibilities of life, there is much to be found. I think that the Loch Ness "monster", Sasquatch, Yetis and the like may very well exist; then again, they may not. Until someone solidly proves that such things do or do not exist with cold, hard evidence, I will not be so presumptuous to think that I can know one way or another. I am of the opinion that we, as humans, are very haughty and vain in thinking that we know what life is and how it came about and the limits of what it can be here on Earth. Three hundred years ago, they thought they knew it all, but look how far we've come since then, not only technologically, but also biologically. Imagine where we'll be three hundred years from now-how much will we have discovered by then to the contrary of what we think we know now? To borrow from Mark Twain, the famous American novelist, the most dangerous thing is what we "know for sure that just ain't so". Personally, I am very skeptical about whether or not these mythical creatures exist, but I want to believe that they do, I really do. In my heart of hearts, I feel that it is highly possible that such things are out there, or perhaps others, overlooked by us somehow and right in our midst. Who knows? That's my point of view on the matter.
I believe. I saw a documentary once about creatures so deep in the water that they had built in lights of sorts to find their way. And just because we don't find something today does not mean we shall not find it tomorrow though I hope we don't. Mankind has a way of destroying the gentle and the mysterious for profit.
So, absolutely I believe. Of course I admit to living in Faerieland on my holidays and talk to elves and faeries routinely.Smile Smilie
I have always loved the mystery of Loch Ness and the mists of Inverness in Scotland.. (The mists of Avalon is one of my favourite books/films) I hope that the mystery never will be solved ,it takes a much of peoples fantasy away....There are many thoughts though.specially about Loch Ness..One of them is that there was a circus that had elephants that needed a bath Big Laugh Smilie And YES I do believe in such mysteries
All those monsters (Nessie, Bigfoot, Krakens, Godzilla, Bob the Angry Flower) do not exist. The only monsters left on this planet, belong to the human species.
OK, Vir. I dare you to spend the night in a haunted house. Smile Smilie~

Strike that. You could legitimately argue that "haunted" be replaced with "crack", so that your claim stands. Instead, I dare you to go swimming in the middle of the ocean at night. A buddy and I were discussing, just this weekend, our belief that there absolutely must be monsters out there. We were referring to the ocean, the deep places of this world. I think we have already discovered them; I mean, if a giant freaky squid with wicked tentacles and a beek of death does not qualify as a monster, then call me an orc. I can even spread this rumor that the navy guy was telling us about the crew of a sunk vessel. They described scenes of horror of watching giant tentacles come up out of the black depths and snatch their buddies right out of the life boats, dragging them below. And this buddy of mine is a long time avid sailor with so much sea time it boggles the mind, and yet he is afraid to go swimming in the deep. He does not fear for the physical elements, but for the creatures that he has seen out there.

Also on my list of already discovered monsters:
killer whale (Shamu ain't cute, it's a KILLER, no joke),
15 ft. aligator/croc,
sharks,
anything studly enough to hang out with Ulmo on the ocean floor,
goliath birdeating offspring of ungoliant (they still live in Guyana; I'm not kidding; this spider is the size of a freakin' dinner plate!).

I wonder if there are any man-eating (or elf-eating, or dwarf eating, etc.) plants, like in the amazon or something. It maybe we have shamefully destroyed them before we had the chance to use them as a new death-penalty.
There was once in the news a sensational finding of some huge blob that just came up from the ocean in Tasmania and was beached. Noone, no scientist even had ever seen anything like it and it weighed about a ton I believe. They unkindly I think cut a chunk out of it to be analyzed and more than that I cannot recall what the documentary said. I mean it was huge and it was something. We cannot believe that we know of everything in the deeps. It is not as if we have been digging for mithril.
I believe. Maybe we don't see them much because like Tinker Bell every time dear Vir or others say "I don't believe" a monster of the deep drops dead. that is sad.
Those are not monsters, those are all just animals.
Quote:
One of them is that there was a circus that had elephants that needed a bath Big Laugh Smilie

It may seem silly, but maybe you should see what a swimming elephant looks like, and what Nessie picture they refer to, before you reject the idea.
Nessie/elephant
Elephant
Quote:
There was once in the news a sensational finding of some huge blob that just came up from the ocean in Tasmania and was beached. Noone, no scientist even had ever seen anything like it and it weighed about a ton I believe. They unkindly I think cut a chunk out of it to be analyzed and more than that I cannot recall what the documentary said. I mean it was huge and it was something. We cannot believe that we know of everything in the deeps.

LeeLee, I think I know what you are talking about, and if it's the same incident that I heard of, it was the insides of a whale. The very fact that the giant squid was thought to be a monster of myth and legend, sprung from the ignorance and superstition of sailors from the past thousand years, and then was discovered to be real, though a little smaller than what legend painted it to be, shows that we don't know everything that is to be known. Space is called the last frontier, though the ocean hasn't even been fully explored. There could be things in the ocean that we do not know about, and given the vast expanse and depth of it, in all probability there are creatures that we haven't found to exist, or haven't even heard anything about.
Concerning Nessie, named from Loch Ness, National Geographic financed a huge sonar scan of the loch, but turned up nothing. Though disappointed, they even admitted that it didn't mean anything, because the loch is so filled with subterranean caverns and caves, that Nessie could have been anywhere. It would take hundreds of subs to thoroughly check all the caverns, and hundreds of boats to scan the entire loch, all at the same time in order to ensure that Nessie didn't just elude them by dodging the boats and subs.
Laurelindhe ilmarin, you have an amazing way of putting words together. If I could voice all of my thoughts and opinions like that, I would able to do quite a few things.
Amarië, that picture referred to is called the Surgeon's Photo, and was admitted to being taken for the intent of a hoax. The real photographer of it created the object in the water from a rubber mold, and then fitted it over a toy sub, then took the picture in such a way that it looked like it was really big and he was really far away. He could have been lying, but that wouldn't make much sense, and most likely he wasn't.
Quote:
Amarië, that picture referred to is called the Surgeon's Photo, and was admitted to being taken for the intent of a hoax. The real photographer of it created the object in the water from a rubber mold, and then fitted it over a toy sub, then took the picture in such a way that it looked like it was really big and he was really far away. He could have been lying, but that wouldn't make much sense, and most likely he wasn't.

I must admit I was not sure what picture I refered to as the refered picture. But the one national geografic had used looked close enough, so I didn't bother looking further. Wink Smilie I thought maybe the toy-Nessie was a different picture, as I didn't remember the detailes from the documentary all that well. The main point was that the elephant theory wasn't nesessarily as silly as Mellon seemed to think.

Nessie is a nice myth, science should leave her alone and focus on more important things.
Quote:
OK, Vir. I dare you to spend the night in a haunted house. ~

You should meet my family.
Quote:
It may seem silly, but maybe you should see what a swimming elephant looks like, and what Nessie picture they refer to, before you reject the idea.

I did not reject the idea and I do know what a swimming elephant looks like .All I'm saying is that : It's no wonder that people like me believe in this mystery since it really looks like Loch Ness.I think you misunderstood me
Ahh, yes I often misunderstand. Forgive me, fair lady. *brings offerings of Nessie shaped cookies*

It is amusing that the picture looks very much like Nessie and very much like an elephant, when it supposedly is neither. Orc Smiling Smilie
Vir I said the word monsters only to denote their incredible bigness. But that was an error, sorry. sorry. Sad Smilie
I think that Nessie (which I have searched everytime I visit Scotland) is one of those exaggerated stories over generations that has just creeped out to the world slowly. The most common one I can think of is concerning a fish.........

One day, a Father came home from fishing and guess what..... he caught a fish, it was beautiful, a foot long, to which the son of this father marvelled. Sadly the Father died (probably choking on the same fish, he should have cut it up first Elf With a Big Grin Smilie ). But when the son grew older, he took his own son and told him, "Your Grandfather once caught a fish and it was a foot and a half long, remember that son" to this, the grandson marvelled. So when the grandson got older, he took his own son and told him "Your Great Grandfather once caught a fish and it was TWO FEET long, remember that son" to this the great grandson marvelled. So when the great grandson grew older, he took his own son and told him, "Your Great Great Grandfather once caught a fish and it was THREE FEET long, remember that son" to this the great great grandson marvelled. So, when the great great................... You see where I'm going with this???

I think that Nessie was started by someone's Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather that got out of control but was only just a small creature that bobbed up and it got bigger and bigger through the generations. Although it would be great if one day Nessie was found but alas, we wouldn't want that happening, just look at King Kong......... although it wouldn't be on The Empire State Building, it would be on Ben Nevis..........
Quote:
Monster: 1) any plant or animal of abnormal shape or structure, as one greatly malformed or lacking in some parts; a monstrosity. 2) any imaginary creature part human and part animal in form, as a centaur, or made up of the parts of two or more different animals, as the unicorn or hippogriff. 3) something monstrous. 4) a person so cruel, wicked, depraved, etc. as to horrify others. 5) any huge animal or thing.

To my way of thinking a monster needs be large and a horror causing, a thing unknown. Elephants were known as monsters until we found that they weren't necessarily dangerous to mankind. Dinosaurs can be monsters: Tyranasaurous Rex especially so; the brontosaurus not necessarily so.
Another bit of info that I have supporting the fact that these creatures could be real, is that the mountain gorillas were thought to be monsters for quite a long time, until they were discovered and offically put down as being real in the early twentieth century. Another example is a certain fish, thought to have gone extinct with the dinosaurs, and was then found still alive, though I'm not sure when.
Has anyone heard of the Altamahaha(I think that's how it's spelt)? You American Eastcoasters should know.
Yes, the Altamahaha monster is said to be found in the river by that same name in the State of Georgia. There is another monster of similar type said to inhabit Lake Okanagon in British Columbia; it is called Ogopogo.

There are enumerable sea monsters sighted around the world the following link roports about some of them. Sea Serpents and Lake Monsters.
If you follow Grondy's link and scroll down a little bit, there is a picture of the fish Fionwë was talking about in his last post. Smile Smilie The *copy/paste* coelacanth.
Some monsters, though, no longer wished to be unknown, left their lairs and went commercial, for instance in Finland : Finnish monsters.
Their poor poor mommies. Sad Smilie
I know about Ogopogo as well. This subject has always been a point of interest for me, and so most of what I find out tends to stick with me. I also know about some sightings in the San Fransisco bay, of several sea serpents of mythological proportions. Two brothers were eating in their car in a parking lot by the bay, when a large serpentine head rose out of the water and watched them for some time, before vanishing again. Years later, they spotted what they thought to be the same creature, except more. This time they caught it on camera though. A marine biologist, one of the best in the US, that they sent it to, said that they were definitely serpentine creatures of an unknown species, 6 in number, each around a hundred feet in length. However, a militant technician, who specalized in videos, said that they were only a flock of birds flying over the water. Given the jobs of these two, I'm more inclined to belive the biologist, but also because, if birds, they were flying in a strangely erratic formation, very close to the water level, and considering that there are sharks, and sometimes even whales in that bay, it'd have to be a pretty stupid flock of birds to fly that low.
They were probably ducks looking for a landing site. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
You guys really want to see a monster? Here is a picture of an adult African Tigerfish, scientifically called Hydrocynus goliath:
(BTW; This is no joke. These are real fish. I have kept a smaller variety in one of my home aquariums)

Goliath Tigerfish
Vir, what or who is Bob the Angry Flower?
Poor guy that Angry Bob. He's always angry as he felt he was no part of the bunch Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

PLUS, he had a crush on Rose, Lily, Daisy, Fern, Olive, Holly, Hyacinth, Ivy, Laurel (its a name on here Orc Smiling Smilie ) Lavender, Primrose and Willow and just about any girl name that is a flower or a shrub and he just couldn't have their love in return....... Poor guy Orc Grinning Smilie
You forgot Cactusess.
Oh yes Clover, forgot about that name, I know someone called Clover though, that makes two of them I know Orc Grinning Smilie either way, Bob couldn't get either of them Orc Smiling Smilie