Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Great works of our hands.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Great works of our hands.   
I would like to set up this thread to explore the great contibutions to the beauty of Middle-Earth by Men and Elves and Dwarves. I am thinking about the gorgeous rings , the sparkling caves and all that was carved within them, the wonderful structures and halls like Meducil, and much much more.
What I am asking of you is to act according to who you are , Man, Elf, Dwarf, well Orc really , for if they could have used their massive strength without interference from the Dark Lord what would they have come up with?

Being an Elf I will choose for the first thing, to work with wood. I would like to have taken the wood of a dead mallorn tree, I really don't know what it looked like inside the bark, but I imagine rather golden and amber and breathtakingly beautiful. I would have loved to have carved a large chest of somesort with lattice work so tiny and delicate that it would seem impossible to have been created. On the lid I would scroll into the wood scenes of the world at the beginning of the awakening of the elder children. something with the crystal clear light of moon and stars and tall noble Elves doing everyday things. I would carve the leaves of the mallorn all about it and over lay them with thin sheets of white gold and mithrail set into the moon and carven stars.

Any one else?
Oh Leelee..You write so beautiful that is bring tears to my eyes..
As I am an Eagle I can only watch your work nearby or from a distance .Perhaps I could make a pattern with my claws that you could use in some of your work..
I am a Rohirrim, and since they mostly built thatched barns, shepherd cots and cages to keep their head-strong lasses in, I think I'd go for the latter.
I can see Leelees creation with its glowing wood and carved lid. The carved chests that the missiojnaries brought back from China in the first half of the last century are mundane earthly examples of my vision. I see the oiled Mallorn wood as almost translucent, like amber; glowing deeply with various color striations of the woodgrain.

As a Dwarf from the Glittering Caves, I have spent much time fine tuning the crystals on a small stalactite (rising from the floor) in the deep halls, near the southern shore of a newly found subardanian lake. Oh the colors are a sight to behold; in my humble opinion.
And being of warlike folk from the great fortress and city of khazad dum i would spend my time in a smithy making and upkeeping weapons and armor, they might come in handy against anyone. Very Evil Smilie
Oh Mellon your kindness makes me feel so emotional. I have read what you have written before and know you must be a great artist and creator yourself.
But dear Eagle, you are wrong, there is at least one thing you can create to contribute to the beauty of Middle-Earth, especially King Aragorn's white city.
If our dear Dwarf friends would help it will be amazing. If they would get together and make from ancient stone a tall column, not too tall but let's say about six feet in height, or even a tree carved from stone, then what you could do is build a very very large and magnificent nest, the likes of which has never been seen before,perfect in symmetry and altogether beautiful. Into that we elves could put large eggs carved from the most delicate of wood and overlaid in gold and silver and pale colors made from earthy plants. Just think how wondrous that would be when the golden sunlight strikes the eggs and shines through the rustic twigs and soft bits of feather from the nest. And in the night watches under the moon and stars what a sight that would be, icily glowing. Wonderful
I have decided, since I have aquired so much mithrail from the obliging Grep, to make for each of you something Elven. If I miss anyone please put in a request.

I shall start with Grondy.

I cannot begin to show the understanding and great accumulated knowledge he has of Middle-Earth and all the classes of creatures, the history of Middle-Earth and all that. I won't even try.
Since our Grondy loves his books so very much, I am going to go through my vast library in Imladris and find two of the most ancient books, one on the Valar, the other on the Silmaril and their making. These books, well actually scrolls were written by members of their lineage and passed down. I should like Grondy to have them.
As they are rather delicate I am going to make silver and mithrail boxes for the scrolls to rest in.
Thin as the spider's web will be the boxes but the mithril will make them harder than steel.
I have chosen to smith the likeness of some of the more famous dwarves on to the covers. Around the edges I shall put, in silver and a secret alloy to strengthen it, the different tools used by the Dwarves to create their marvellous wondrous creations under the stone cold mountains.
In the very bottom right hand corner I shall inscribe in tiny precious gems the name Grondy with the wondrous little avy he uses. Then carefully I shall place into the boxes the scrolls and present them to our Grondy. may they be a source of joy and instruction.
Oh, Super Wow Smilie you shouldn't have Leelee, I really don't deserve it, as everyone would know if they didn't ignore that man behind the curtain. Wiggle Smilie But it certainly sounds beautiful and would be cherished for generations to come. Happy Elf Smilie
Well you are most welcome. And I must say, I have learned so much from you, not just about Middle-earth but about life, in the short time I have been here that I cannot imagine life now without you in it, even if it is just cyberspace. so thankyou.

Next I have chosen the mysterious, rather terrifying, yet at times unwittingly kind Vee.
She eludes me really(is it a she, I cannot remember, somehow I always think of fire as a she)
and that is part of her intrigue.

I remember the thrill of fear I felt when I viewed Fellowship of the rings for the first time and saw one of the Nazgul. My daughter said "oh cool" and I shivered. And when he cut the head off that poor man who merely asked who went there, well the elf in me was stirred up and I was at mental war with the creatures if they can be called that.
Even though a sworn enemy to the Nine, still I would like to honor the strength, wit, cunning and power they did wield during the height of their mission.
So I have thought a lot about this and decided to travel right to the vicinity of Mordor and collect some molten rock from the former crack of mount doom and haul it back on a cart pulled by my steed. I searched and searched until I found a rather large mass of it that was somehow different from the other. It was black as night but retained tiny splashes of red like fire hidden in pockets of the rock. It was perfect.
From that I carved painstakingly the form of the Witchking mounted upon his winged serpent. I used a method with one of my larger tools that created a rather wavy bent to the cloak of the Nazgul and the wings and tail of the winged thing and that gave a distinct feeling of swift motion.I then melted silver and rubies and poured out thin threads of the liquid masses to create lightning bolts that came from within the masked face of the Nazgul, that was the red, and the silver sparks and lightnings came forth from the crown atop his head.
I mounted this upon a single spiked type of weapon, Grondy knows the name of it, I am sorry I do not. It stands nearly seven feet above ground and is a very chilling and detailed work.
I present this to Vee to grudgingly honor the terrifying feeling the presence of the Nine inspired and the power that was once so great that even the most fearless were deeply affected when they swooped across the terrified heavens in pursuit of the One Ring. So here you go dear Vee.
Quote:
From that I carved painstakingly the form of the Witchking mounted upon his winged serpent.

Quetzalqoatl?
I should very much like to made the most beautiful bow and arrow set...any suggestions on the best type of Middle Earth tree to use?
Lady, I would imagine that the sturdy Yew tree grows in Middle Earth. That is the best bow wood ever. As for arrows, are they also of yew or...?
Leelee, your gifts all sound beautiful. I love leaves and the chest of mallorn wood with leaves carved on the lid is wonderful - at least the picture of it I get in my mind.

Are hobbits allowed? Presuming yes, I couldn't do anything too fancy but would bake cakes and pies and mend everyone's torn clothes. I could make dolls for children and banners for the warriors.
Everyone is invited, even those puka men. All are beautiful in our own way and we can all make things breathtaking and unusual to adorn Middle-Earth. I think to come together and do things, even borrowing talents and things from one another to create something even more unusual and different would be amazing.
Please anyone join in. I know there are vats of talent on this forum. Smile Smilie
I would like to make a musical rendition of 'The Anduin' which would sound a lot like my computerized rendition of Smetana's tone poem The Moldau. Instead of the unharmonious section of the waters over the cateracts, there would be the roaring bass thunderrrrrr of the waterfall of Rauros. However, as I am no composer, I'll have to do this piece in my imagination. Wiggle Smilie
ooooooooh Grondy. Perhaps we can find some way of listening through your thoughts. Anything is possible. A grand work of music, that is something that we definitely need. How wonderful
Ellasar Lossehelin is the next person I shall make a gift for. He was the first person to befriend me on this forum and he is the one that got me my avy , for nothing I did would transfer it on to my posts and I was in a gloom over it.

So for him I have spent a long time hammering my mithril into thinner than the thinnest paper thickness, then shaping each piece into the form of a delicate leaf. After that I overlaid each leaf on both sides with a thin film of gold. Thousands and thousands of leaves did I craft and made each one slightly different in size from its fellows and positioned the end of each into a slight motion as in a real tree.
I made untold numbers of links in mithril and placed them over a tall thin piece of rock that I shaped through great labor into the form of a tree trunk.And then over that I placed pieces of bark I found here and there and whenever the light of day or night shines upon that trunk the glow of the mithril shoots out in a hazy glow.
In the middle of the tree trunk I used a metal sculpting tool which I had heated to firey red to write Losse's name in Elvish letters..You have to come up close to see it but it looks pretty, smokey grey/black over the dull brown of the bark.
I hope you enjoy it.
I must say Leelee, your imagination still confuddles me, there is no end to your kind words and view of everything of splendor. I shall not take your gift, though this seems ungrateful, it is not, for I would like everyone to see what wonder you created. In addition, a tree of whatever material deserves to be outside for folk to walk under or in view of so as to take it in. Thank you, and you are very welcome...
Tis a beautiful tree created by the beautiful imagination of a beautiful lady. And thank you Loss, for leaving it out for all of us to see.
How kind of you Grondy dear.
And Losse, absolutely no offense taken, each person should do with his or her gift precisely as the heart dictates. But that does remind me then to make sure I have written somewhere to whom the gift is given should others decline acceptance.
Thankyou
Now on to dear sweet noble beautiful Mellon.
She was the first person to encourage me to continue writing in my diary. I must confess it feels rather wierd to think I am writing these little things to amuse myself in about five minutes and people actually bother to read them. If I were someone else and saw them, I wouldn't bother. Really.

Because Mellon is so sensitive and artistic and because she once expressed interest in Hobbit homes I have spent an entire two weeks walking through the Shire, looking at each and every sort of Hobbit hole. They are all enchanting little homes, some of course much bigger and more elaborate than others.
I decided to do a diorama which included the yard and gated fence and trees andsuch: so within it is a chunk of a hill, which I made from clay and made each blade of grass one by one, I painted the grass in four very subtle shades of green, adding a tiny bit of canary yellow in differing strengths to give the impression of the height of the day under the noon sun. Oh and the entire diorama is about three feet in width, two feet in height for the top of the home but trees make it four feet elsewhere.
The hobbit front I took especial care of.I made the little window ledges in wood and varnished with a flat varnish. The flatter the treatment the more peaceful it feels as no beams of light then are bouncing back and forth from shiney wood or paint or varnish.You get a feeling of stillness.
The round door I painted in a very thin liquid stain of ash grey with only one tiny drop of cherry red and it looks very old and lovely.
The inside is mainly wood, ancient, mellowed in color and very very pretty. On this I used a wax to polish the wood and buffed it slightly so it too is not overly shiney. The walls are all plastered in a cream white and the dull of the color and the texture make everything still and peaceful and like a painting.
The furniture is carved in all things loved by Hobbit folk, flowers, little laced loaves of bread, pipes and curly q's of smoke. (I know I know but it was a fact of life).I wove many wonderful tapestries of the Shire and they hang on the wall. I wove bedspreads and tablecloths of elven cloths brought from Rivendell and here and there are a few Elven touches.
A large intricately carved and painted eagle sits demurely on a carved log in the reading room , a gift from a very handy Hobbit, and there is a rocking chair courtesy of the House of Elrond with Elvish letters delicately carved on the back.
I filled several planters some rock, some clay with as many varieties of hardy flowers that will keep you in bloom all year around, and I put them throughout the dwelling.
Just outside the door which by the way I overlaid with silver and mithril where I carved tiny birds in flight is hanging a wind chime, dwarf made and it sounds like water tinkling and falling deep within a cave.
The cloth touches through the Hobbit home are in rich hues of blues and greens, browns with touches of yellow and red and pale pale orange to give a feeling of life and joy.
So I hope you like it dear Mellon.
Oh LeeleeSmile SmilieWhat can I say beside my deepest THANK YOU.. and thank you for your kind words..I want to draw it just to see how it looks like in real life.. You are indeed a great artist and writer Leelee .
I've already moved into the house and you are all welcome to visit anytimeSmile Smilie
Yes, that house sounds very homey. Now if it just had a self-refilling larder to help Mellon feed all the visitors who will flock to it: were we shrinkafied enough to fit its scale. Happy Elf Smilie

Leelee certainly has a fine way with descriptive words. Thanks Leelee Thumbs Up Smilie
It is my honor. and I must say, being on a forum with such people as you all are inspires me , I really mean it. It is the greatest privelege to be able to log on when I can, I get butterflies in my tummy from the joy of knowing that you are all here in Middle-Earth. What a thrill. Smile Smilie