Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Poll 21st Century Feanor'd be

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Poll 21st Century Feanor'd be   
Our new poll of 25 April 2007 was suggested by Cloveress. Thanks for the laugh green pixie. Happy Elf Smilie

In the Poll: 'If Feanor was living in the 21st century, he'd be...' which answer did you choose and why?

(I made a couple of minor editorial changes to it. So give your accolades to her; blame me if you're not very impressed.)
Quote:
Elessar LossŽhelin Posted Wednesday 25th April 2007 (11:23pm)

Wooo, it says that there has been only one vote Orc Smiling Smilie it's me!!!

I chose 10 times Noble Prize Winner, as he did create/invent things that no other could have and I think that they would be worthy of such a prize, the Silmarils along would be a great feat, to take a delicate thing, like the light of the two trees and then make it into something so beautiful deserves the credit in my oppinion, plus the prize money could help him with his next invention Orc Smiling Smilie

Great poll Clover Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Edit: Oh, thanks Grondy, got a tad worried then.... no biggy.... Orc Smiling Smilie

Just to add to my first post.... As well as the PalantŪri, only a great mind could have done something so brilliant, like some of the things we see nowadays that scientists win the Noble Prize for....
I had to delete the original thread and start it over with a new one, as the title wouldn't fit and we can't edit titles once submitted, so that is why Loss's post disappeared/reappeared.

Sorry for the confusion.Orc Grinning Smilie
I voted a jewelry thief, and the poll says that only three people have voted so far, so I presume that I am the only one who has voted for this. But modern people would find it hard to put choose Fenor for their leader, since the whole bloodline stuff is hopelessly out-of-date nowadays and unless Feanor can somehow make another mesmerizing potion (voice doesn't work since it's all over the intercoms these days!) to make people follow him...

Feanor's so obssessed with jewelry, and suffered so much over the millenia, that he'd probably have already gone cuckoo and therefore sunk to the level of being a petty criminal.

I did seriously consider voting for "Orlando Bloom"!

And Thank you for all the compliments paid, and about to be paid, as well!
I do not agree with this poll. I think this poll is liable to surpass our bans on political/religious discussion.

So please be careful with what you pick and what you write here, please.
As it says somewhere, if there were any of elf-kind who remained behind after the ships all left, they would slowly diminish in power, in intellect, in glory, in craftsmanship, in beauty, till they were strange nature loving hermits unthought of and unheard of by humanity, a mere shadow of their former selves.

I'm sure Feanor would not have chosen this fate, but were he still alive, not dead from grief or hari-kiri or fighting, and unable to reconcile with the powers in order to sail back across the sea (very likely, as he seemed rather full of himself), it would be his fate nonetheless.
I did jump a bit when I saw the poll. Typical of Grondy to flirt with disaster. Animated Wink Smilie
Oh people. Just vote and give your reasons in a logical fashion. Surely most of you can manage to do that in a way that does not provoke political argument! And if you feel that the idea of Feanor being the president of a first-world nation is offensive, then don't vote for it!

And if we MUST be so tightlipped on the subject of religion, then I do apologize. The messiah part should not have been included in this poll... I certainly don't see Feanor as any kind of Messiah, but I just thought that perhaps some others would...
I don't know what to vote. I miss 'political activist'. Terrorist or messiah depend on the eyes who see. But since he kept fighting the authorities, he would probably end up in jail eventually. If not in a mental institution, for claiming to be thousands of years old.
I guess IF he lived today, he -and all other Quendi- would either be on display in a zoo or stuffed in a museum (something like KŲrperwelten).

Another possibility is the Quendi being in the Cirque du Soleil (heck, they wouldn't even need to dress up in silly attire and use grimage/white makeup!) but alas, that option was not available in the poll.
I think I agree with you Amarie, political activist seems a likely option. I think Feanor's natural creativity is going to be a factor, too, though. I know from experience that if you're a creative person you have an almost irresistable drive to make things and I can't see that not being an influence (unless things are different for elves - what would I know, I'm a hobbit Smile Smilie). He's not going to just stop being a craftsman if its in his blood and bone.
I voted for astronaut because he had the brilliance, scientific mind, and a thirst for adventure.
I voted for president of a top nation but if i could add something to that i would say president of a top nation making nuclear weapons to nuke all his enemies.
Yea, I'm glad Feanor died when he did. And that Curufin dies too. The only son of his that's left (and perhaps the only Elda left on this earth) is Maglor, and he doesn't specialize in making destructive weopns of warfare... I seriously think Feanor might've single-handedly invented the nuclear bomb if he'd lived a couple of centuries more...
You're right, Cloveress, he probably could have. I was thinking a terrorist! Once he invented those nuclear weapons, he'd start threatening the whole world to find his silmarils, or get nuked! And for every fake one that they turned up, he'd destroy a major city! Super Scared Smilie
Yeah, Feanor didn't have a problem about killing innocents at all, did he? And there was that terrible Oath he swore... Although he was awfully proud and I don't think his ego could allow him to sneak around with a bomb on his body... No, no... our Feanor wants to be the one who bangs on Bush's door and demands the Silmarils... or else...
Quote:
Yeah, Feanor didn't have a problem about killing innocents at all, did he?

He never killed anyone, and the ones that followed him took their own responsibility. The worst one can shove into FŽanor's shoes, is that he was the agitator that started it all.

Quote:
Although he was awfully proud and I don't think his ego could allow him to sneak around with a bomb on his body... No, no... our Feanor wants to be the one who bangs on Bush's door and demands the Silmarils... or else...

I think that's quite enough of that already. Moderator Smilie
That wasn't anything political! I was just using a celebrity to make my point! I did not express any views I hold concerning Bush's administration, and I don't plan to, either. So there, Vir! Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Oh bugger off with all the political nonsense!! People are just trying to make their point concerning Feanor. You can shove politics up your pipe. (i just cant stand politics...)
I see what you mean Cloveress. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Put Feanor wasnt really evil. He would be a Nobel prize winner for sure. Just look at the Sillmarils he made. And if Morgoth didnt steal them from him he wouldnt have to go through with the whole Oath, kin-slaying and stealing.. He'd just be a genius, not a madman as he is portraited now.
Genius, yeah, but Nobel didn't guard his invention (what was it, some kind of bomb for landmines?) jealously like Feanor, Marie Curie didn't even patent the radium she discovered/made, and Michelangelo didn't kill the Pope for sitting in his painted chapel, did he?
Quote:
and Michelangelo didn't kill the Pope for sitting in his painted chapel, did he?

Please do not give Dan Brown any new ideas! Moderator Smilie Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Feanor was in no way a terrorist. Give me a break! Assuming that he'd be born to a billionaire, I'd say, he would become an idol and using his influence could still cause riots, even in the 21st century. I initially gave a thought to the possibility that he might end up becoming a spoiled rich kid, but I don't think so. His artistic talent was too great for that.

There is a golden rule. Since, we cannot really compare two completely different eras,
A `great' in one era must always be great in any other era.

And guys, acknowledge it. He was THE greatest artist of the time.

I'd say, he'd be the greatest artist of our age too. I say again, artists have ego AND they're eccentric. It is only natural. And even today, in an idiotic country like mind, where people idolise any idiot and cause riots over it, he could lead to huge disasters.

Also, the entire blame for whatever blah blah happened in the Silmarillion, doesn't lie unto Feanor. It applies the same for, say Hitler, for example. People around him, chose to follow him. He'd be nowhere if they didn't. Now that I think of it, I see a lot of parallels between Feanor and Hitler, both good and bad.

This poll could be a disaster on PT btw. I agree with Virumor.
FŽanor right after this arrival in the Halls of Mandos : "What do you want to call me a murderer for?! I've never killed anyone!"

Although it is arguable that he killed his mother in the womb.
Well, none of the suggestions seemed to fit exclusively for me, he might have opted for a combination of all of the above, especially if he were Orlando Bloom who is into extreme anything.
So, I would like to think that he would meet a woman of courage and beauty(why not, the gentleman loved beauty, look at his creations), a woman of loyalty and far sightedness who also was a great creator of fine things in her own right. And I would like to think that her love and friendship would go a long way in healing him of the hurts of his c hildhood. Perhaps she even reminded him a little of his mother, in good traits I mean.
And with this love behind him I would like to dream that he started over, put the past behind him and although he started out as a mere shadow of what was, love grew the genius in him and it erupted into a furnace of creative ideas.
He then would, in my daydream at least, set up a sort of museum or something to show off his work and even though he might have it filtched again, he took that chance. What with modern means of survellience and all that it stood a good chance of being around a long time.
And then when a part of his soul was satisfied ,he then turns his attention to spearheading a group of devoted artists who use some considerable funds to trace and track and bring back stolen works of art to their creators. In that way he avenges a little of what had happened and he lives to actually enjoy his life and use his firey personality to enrich the world.
Okay,,,,,,,,,,throw your stones. I just happen to be wearing a helmut. I sit unafraid.
Well maybe a little of Vir, one never actually knows if h e is a mere mortal or some robotic slash human creation who knows just everything and can use it against whichever target he is focused on at the moment. Smile Smilie
Moderator Smilie Political post removed - virumor Moderator Smilie
Why did you have to delete it Virumor?
Quote:
2. Political / Religious Topics, Posts, Threads or Comments inside or outside of Tolkien related topics are not permitted. As moderators we have seen that such discussions always end up with people being hurt or insulted. If this happens your thread(s)/post(s) will be deleted and you will be notified.
- taken from the site'sRules and Guidelines

That's why, but we all learn sooner or later and we all have to apply them no matter what thread Smile Smilie
Quote:
So, I would like to think that he would meet a woman of courage and beauty(why not, the gentleman loved beauty, look at his creations), a woman of loyalty and far sightedness who also was a great creator of fine things in her own right. And I would like to think that her love and friendship would go a long way in healing him of the hurts of his c hildhood. Perhaps she even reminded him a little of his mother, in good traits I mean.

Wait, wait.... first stone coming up.

Feanor had a thing about beauty, sure... but I think it was more of a "beauty that I fashion or make or own" kind of obssession. He could never really just be satisfied with Nature. He had to somehow "capture" a part of it to make it "his". Like what he did with the Two Trees. I mean, he wasn't obssessed with the Two Trees. He was obssessed with the Silmarils (because those were a sign of HIS work, see?)

And it's just a little hard to imagine Feanor trying to "make" a woman...(poor woman)... well actually, who knows, he might clone her or something...

Sadly enough for Feanor, I don't see him committing to a woman at all. With him, work is always of paramount importance. He's sort of fated to marrying his work, I think.

Quote:
And it's just a little hard to imagine Feanor trying to "make" a woman...(poor woman)... well actually, who knows, he might clone her or something...

The Olympian god of craftsmanship Hephaestos did make golden clockwork-women, made up from mechanical parts and human parts, all resplendently beautiful and trained to obey their masters in all.

No wonder Galadriel hated FŽanor, for had his plans of creating women come to frutition, all Elven men would drop those prissy, fickle Elven women and purchase one of FŽanor's clockwork-women. She'd lose all her influence over men; every chance to manipulate them and turn her numerous suitors against each other, would be lost.
Wow, Vir. Sometimes I wonder if you really are as bitter and anti-female as you sound in your posts...

For the record, even though you're a tad sexist, your knowledge of Tolkien's work overshadows any of that. Smile Smilie And also I don't think that Galadriel hated him, just that she thought of him as a self-impressed megalomaniac and was not going to give him the time of day. Just my humble opinion... (I think I'll duck and cover now...)
Quote:
just that she thought of him as a self-impressed megalomaniac and was not going to give him the time of day

I'll betcha those "CLOCKWORK" women would give him the time of day, LOLOLOLOLOL! Orc Grinning Smilie
I really set myself up for that one! Good one, Meneldur!