Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What I'm glad of

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > What I'm glad of   
This is what I've been doing and where I've been these past few months. If anything different, new, or exciting has happened to you this fall, please share it below.

After an almost full 16 weeks of this semester, my classes are nearly over. It flew by so quickly, and yet it feels like it was so long ago that I started, I've become so accustomed to the life I've begun. I've met a lot of new friends and learned a lot of stuff from attending classes at the local college, not all of that knowledge being gained just from the classes. I took on a workload of 17 credits this fall semester; it turned out to be quite a struggle meeting all of the deadlines, but I've succeeded in all of them. My grades could be better, but they definately aren't the worst.
I've learned a lot about myself, and about people in general. I am grateful for having been able to do that, and am going back for three more semesters.
But now, as this one nears its close, finals are here. So far half my tests are finished. I'm excited to see the end of these classes, and sad at the same time. Very few of my new-found friends in some of these classes will be with me again in the same classrooms as myself.
I'm looking at the positive side of things, however; I've started preparing myself for the future with this, in more ways than one.
The exciting part about the end of the classes is when it ends, December 21st, only a few days from now. Christmas break will be fun, I'll be free from any homework during that period and will be able to recuperate before the next semester begins. I can enjoy the Christmas season, and be fully able to appreciate the value of Christmas.
I have also learned something which will have an important impact on my life. I had for the past few years expressed the desire to become a Civil Engineer; I now know that cannot be. I have found that I am not up to the challenge of college level math, much to my dissappointment. And yet I've also discovered that I enjoy writing and art, much to the great surprise of my friends and family. I'm trying new things now, theater and music are two of my classes next semester. Neither of those have I ever been interested in before.

Has anything happened to you the past few months which has changed your life considerably?
I can't say that much has happened to me to my change life considerably but I was very interested in reading about your experiences. I remember liking college a lot when I was there, too, and it was also a time to learn about myself.

I also have more of an apptitude for art and literature and none for math. My husband is a civil engineer and I swear he has a computer chip in his head he can do math so well. I tease him because he can remember the number on his first driver's liscense but when we went to get him a new one in a different state and he was filling out the forms he had to ask me what color his eyes were.

I hope you like your art classes next semester! They can be a lot of work but very rewarding.
haha... You guys need a math person here to balance things out. And my math may not be the best math, but I'm quite confident I could probably scrape through Calculus with a B.

But I find math dull. Arts and literature are so much more interesting because they're so fluid!

Anyways, I've been working at a local art museum for the past week as an intern. It's the coolest thing ever! There's this new Japanese exhibition (contemporary visual culture) and I've had to study it for two days before iI got to be a tour guide kind of person. Yesterday, I led my first group of visitors on a tour through this exhibit, and it was so cool! I love this job! I learned so much about art, and I got to impart my knowledge to other people, which felt really good, because I love being the know-it-all.

Right now, I have three days of break for New Year's. I spent the day repotting some plants. There was a nice sun out this morning. And it felt really good.
Quote:
and I got to impart my knowledge to other people, which felt really good, because I love being the know-it-all.

Really? We had no idea.
Quote:
Quote:
and I got to impart my knowledge to other people, which felt really good, because I love being the know-it-all.

Really? We had no idea.

lol
That is awesome though, Cloveress! Now my turn to be the know-it-all, the correct name for those kind of people are docents. I went on a trip to two of Minnesota's museums, the Walker and the MIA, as part of my art appreciation class. That was very fun, only got to spend a few hours though at the MIA, where even a whole day would be insufficient to see everything.

Quote:
I also have more of an apptitude for art and literature and none for math. My husband is a civil engineer and I swear he has a computer chip in his head he can do math so well. I tease him because he can remember the number on his first driver's liscense but when we went to get him a new one in a different state and he was filling out the forms he had to ask me what color his eyes were.

Funny thing is, I never had an interest in art before taking this class. It was only because I needed to fill in some credits and it was the last day to register, so I had to choose in a hurry. And while I have loved to read since first grade, writing has always been a pain to me. My mom was expecting me to get a C in the english class, but I came out with a high B, of which she was quite surprised, glad but surprised.
That is funny about your husband, I know a few people like that. I'm kinda like that in some ways; for example, I can tell you what Napoleon wrote, to his wife, about the Russian Czar in the early 1820s, but I can't tell you what the last thing was that my sister said to me about 2 hours ago. lol Elk Grinning Smilie
Well, if all my grades were to depend on how well I knew Tolkien's legendarium, I would be coming out with some VERY high scores... Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
lol Yes you would!

Happy New Year!
Happy Second Day of the New Year to you!
I like that you said that word 'fluid' Cloveress, that is how I feel as well. I have a girlfriend who is taking her five years to be an accountant and she is crazy about math. And to her MATH is fluid and beautiful. I suppose there is truth to that but what math lacks to me is color and feel. To me the great literature of this world,the world of words and the power that is invested in each one is full of fluidity and color and feel, sometimes soft, sometimes sharp. That is why, actually, I love studying the law. Words are magic , life or death if done well. A good brief is worth its weight in gold.

As for me, these past few months have been painful as we thought we were losing a family member forever. It was terribly touch and go. But at the same time we were able to find out some things about ourselves that were enriching.
And we are adopting a little one. That was a surprise to me. But I believe it is to be and perhaps a couple of more as well. Naturally this changes very much the way things are and will be , but not the essential structure so that is going to be interesting.
I have been waking up at around two or three in the morning for quite a while. So, now instead of just being upset about it, I do my writing at the desk in the living room quietly by hand and have a nice cup of tea with it. And I sit and really think now besides do my prayers and so many little things that have been put in the attic of my mind are now being taken out and worked through. And if I get tired around four I will sleep for half an hour or hour until I would have had to be up anyway. So, in a way I am getting more time to get things done. It is wierd but I am going with it for now.
I am just glad in general right now. I was just telling my husband the other day that I feel like I am in just the right place, at the right time, and with the people who I am supposed to be with. It's funny, but whenever I have dj vu quite a bit, then I feel like life has led me in the right direction. I had it almost every day when I went to university in Germany, and now, I am having it quite a bit here in Phoenix. Last month, my husband and I moved from San Francsico to Phoenix, which was very difficult, since we both love San Francisco, but it has turned out to be a blessing. My mom and sister are watching our son, so he doesn't have to be in daycare; my husband and I both got to transfer our jobs, so I basically telecommute from Phoenix to San Francisco; and our money goes a lot further here. I also have tons of friends here because it is where I grew up. It is nice being able to spend time with them all again. In general, life is good! Of course, ask me to revisit this moment when it is in the middle of July and 115 degrees outside. Jumping Flame Smilie