Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Sword Making

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Sword Making   
hi this is like my 15 posted and ive been hearing some talk of a guy who bought andurial for some money a real sword and that got me thinking i would love to be able to make my own sword and name it, u know? Does any 1 know the steps of making swords and how i could do it and.. IN THE BALL PARK... how much $ cause im only 15 and u kno i dont have even 10,000 dollars yeet so ya, any 1?
Well, this is my interpretation of how Eol created Anglachel Forging of the Dark Sword, but for more useful information see Wiki, Sword making
The job of a swordsmith is hard. I have read a lot about it, since it is something that also interests me, and it would not be anywhere in the "ball park" as you put it. Unless you know someone who is a smith, you'd need to buy the equipment or rent the facilities of a smith, in order to make one. You'd need to know the basics of handling hot metals, how to melt, forge, hammer, shape, and temper the steel. You'd also need to know how to put the hilt on, and when to do so, as even the timing for that is important. If the metal is too hto when you put it on then the hilt will brun, but if it is too cool then it won't fasten right, depending on the type of hilt you use.
This is really an interesting subject, thanks for bringing it up.
I've been to the Bristol Renaissance Fair up near Wisconsin, and they sell swords there, as well as knives, axes, lances, spears, etc. The swords range in price from about $300 to over $1000, and are very heavy. Plus you have to be an adult in order to buy one. The people selling them weren't just people manning a booth, either. They were actual swordsmiths and metalsmiths, and would take any orders for specialty swords you would like made.
One thing that makes me wonder, though, is something I saw in Return of the King. They remade the Sword That Was Broken by heating up the separate pieces and then sticking them together. I doubt that this is the way to reforge a sword: I think you have to melt it down and then remake it again, a process that takes some days, especially for such a special sword. But in the book, they did it inside of a week, and I doubt that they did it by sticking the pieces together.
You're right. Reforging a sword cannot be done by piecing the shards together; actually, that is a recipe for disaster.
Quote:
But in the book, they did it inside of a week, and I doubt that they did it by sticking the pieces together.
Professor Tolkien's area of expertise was English Literature and Philology, not Metallurgy, but we shouldn't hold that against him. The elves can work wonders if the can talk the Dwarves into doing the forging after they remove the hilt and guard, and then melt the blade shards into a new billet. After forging the new blade they must temper it to just the right temperature and then quench it so that it isn't too brittle or too soft. Had it been a Japanese sword, it couldn't have worked, for there two different grades of metal one hard and one softer, one to hold the edge and one to take the stress, are forge folded into many layers; and in the melting of one of those down you, would have ended up with a billet of mediocre sword material.
The idea of piecing the shards together actually came from Peter Jackson. When filming that scene, he was asked how they should do it. Not knowing exactly how it was done, and also I believe to save some time, he said to just piece it together. A real sword done like that wouldn't have held up to even the first good blow on it. The shards need to be melted down, and the blade needs to be entirely reforged from scratch. The hilt would have to be reput back onto the new blade then.