Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Rare Sword? Sting?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Rare Sword? Sting?   
Hi my Name is Rob, one of my friends reccomended asking you this. Im selling a sword which was given to me, I have no idea how much its worth? Its previous owner bought it in 1999, before the lotr movies. He said the sword was Sting. It doesnt look any thing like the movie replicas:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220275087003&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012
Can any one tell me about it so i can put a better discription, does any one know how much its worth??
Heres a link to a better image of the sword:
http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08362/dscf3161469.jpg
It looks exactly like the two I have. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the full sized sword Frodo carried (about 3 foot long with metal wrap on the wooden hilt, with a very light blue patina on the stainless-steel blade) as opposed to the smaller one for when the big people handled it (about 2 foot long, painted wrap on the hilt, shiny stainless-steel blade). I have sheaths for both; though the shorter one came on a wooden hanger plaque similar to the one in the photos. I think I paid about $250 US for the longer with its sheath and about $150 US for the shorter with its hanger and about $60 US for the shorter sheath. I believe I bought at least one of them from Arms of Valor quite soon after the first movie came out. Both are high quality.
I didn't know you owned an elvish short-sword Grondy, I'd have taken you for using an axe, being a Dwarf 'n' all Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

It is a very good likeness to the sword described in the books, and looks very well made... Surprising that it was made before 'visual aids' (Films) were around... True dedication to the books Orc Smiling Smilie

I might be able to tell you more about how well the movie swords look this sunday! Hopefully I'll be able to see Sting out of it's case at the private seminar! I can't wait!
Quote:
I'd have taken you for using an axe, being a Dwarf 'n' all

Hobbit swords are more comfortable for us than men, elvish or even Nazgul swords. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Unfortunately I do not have any possibility of owning one as for once they do not sell it in my country and if I tried to get one sent from outside the country it would get seized at the customs! Dead Smilie
Quote:
Hobbit swords are more comfortable for us than men, elvish or even Nazgul swords.

But i think axe is great for a Dwarf.really a Dwarf need.Dwarfs are short and they could hold it nicely......isn't it? Orc Grinning Smilie
Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have any possibility of owning one as for once they do not sell it in my country

here also the same Very Sad Smilie....i would like have one and if i have one they will arrest me.Police Smilie
Wow that really sucks, you can't even own edged weapons? And the guys I know who live in California think they have it bad not being able to own high-capacity magazines for their guns. Where I live however, it's legal to own just about anything, including (because of a law that just got passed) fully automatic guns and guns with suppressors as long as you get a really expensive license and pass an extensive background check.
Today I see three different ads for Sting just to the right of the forum. Wiggle Smilie

yeah i see Grondy... today also(16th) ........all are looks good but the black one(LOTR sting)is the greatest... Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
you can't even own edged weapons?

here we can't keep any weapon(swords,guns,even some great knifes)they say"Low is the low" but not for politicians.... Very Big Grin Smilie